Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

TSLA - Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ)

Also they have had a big win lately with GM and Ford signing up to use the Tesla chargers, and with Tesla rolling out the best charging network, I can’t see how the others will catch up, hence why they gave up.

View attachment 158165
I don't think others will catch up. Personally I question if enough infrastructure is in place for a transition to electric in the first place.

Perhaps there is a realisation of just how hard it is and Tesla is the clear leader.

I don't think others will catch up. Personally I question if enough infrastructure is in place for a transition to electric in the first place.

Perhaps there is a realisation of just how hard it is and Tesla is the clear leader.
Tesla is building the chargers pretty fast, but we will never need as many EV chargers as we do petrol bowsers, simply because the majority of people will charge at home, for example I haven’t used a public charger in 6 months

Tesla is building the chargers pretty fast, but we will never need as many EV chargers as we do petrol bowsers, simply because the majority of people will charge at home, for example I haven’t used a public charger in 6 months
I'm worried about multiple cars to a house, or street parking, or units.
They can't even get nbn hooked up properly in town houses. Not sure I'm confident in their ability over a short time frame (government not tesla).

I'm worried about multiple cars to a house, or street parking, or units.
They can't even get nbn hooked up properly in town houses. Not sure I'm confident in their ability over a short time frame (government not tesla).
Imagine if the only people that used petrol stations were the ones that street park, we wouldn’t need as many petrol stations that’s for sure.

But, Multiple cars at a house is no real problem, each car can have a charger, and chargers can be installed outside, and you can get long leads so one charger can be used for many car spaces.

Apartments shouldn’t be a problem as it becomes mainstream, it will be a necessary feature to attract renters.

Street parking is trickier, but still many solutions depending on situation eg public charging or charging at work, at the shops etc etc.

Electric cars are no where near cementing their future monopoly yet. As for Tesla, they will be pushed out of the European and Asian markets; then eventually be consumed by the American auto manufacturers.

The Germans are already sticking it to Tesla: Tesla market share crushed in Germany: "Tesla’s share of the EV market plunged to 8.7% year-to-date, from 18.4% last year. Competition is now huge and across the spectrum. Tesla faces the same situation globally."
3 years on and the Tesla model Y is now the best selling car globally (best selling car, not just ev)I wonder if this guy has changed his tune.

Imagine if the only people that used petrol stations were the ones that street park, we wouldn’t need as many petrol stations that’s for sure.

But, Multiple cars at a house is no real problem, each car can have a charger, and chargers can be installed outside, and you can get long leads so one charger can be used for many car spaces.

Apartments shouldn’t be a problem as it becomes mainstream, it will be a necessary feature to attract renters.

Street parking is trickier, but still many solutions depending on situation eg public charging or charging at work, at the shops etc etc.
I have a problem with governments ability. I'm sure it could be done.

Possibly another factory to be built. Though I'm not sure the benefit of having one so close to the Germany plant, other than the headaches caused by the German government regulations slowing everything down.

I reckon that the French President is dreaming.

Macron to meet Elon Musk in Paris to talk Tesla investment

French President Emmanuel Macron said he will meet with Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Friday, the second time in just over a month, to promote France as a possible site for one of the electric vehicle (EV) maker's factories as well as to discuss tech regulation.

France has been courting Chinese EV giant BYD and Tesla to build factories in the country, officials had previously told Reuters but is competing with other EU countries such as Spain, which is in talks with Tesla too, a source told Reuters.

"I'm going (into that meeting) with an agenda," Macron told reporters as he visited the VivaTech summit in Paris, France's biggest tech fair, which Musk will visit on Friday.

"We're going to talk about artificial intelligence, in which he is involved, social media, regulation framework... And then I'll also talk to him about cars, batteries, to promote French and European attractiveness," Macron said.

Asked specifically whether he was hoping to secure a Tesla gigafactory, Macron said: "It's up to the company to look at these different issues in Europe. So we'll be selling France" as an investment destination.

France has been catching up with other European nations in its goal to become a hub for the electric vehicle industry, thanks to generous subsidies and a more business-friendly environment and aggressive lobbying since Macron took power.

Its northern region has attracted four gigafactory projects, the first one inaugurated last month by a consortium including Peugeot-owner Stellantis, Mercedes-Benz and French oil major TotalEnergies.

Earlier today, the French minister for digital affairs Jean-Noel Barrot told CNBC: "It will be great to have a Tesla factory in France. There has been a lot of effort and energy to make sure this is possible and this can happen."

Barrot added that France also has invested in an "entire sector of electric batteries" and will try to convince Musk "that France is the best possible place in Europe to establish the next Tesla factory."

Musk, who met Macron and Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire on May 15, said then he was confident Tesla would make "significant investments" in France in the future, but did not provide a timeline.

France previously tried to convince Musk to build a gigafactory in the country, but he chose Germany for his only such plant in Europe so far.

Possibly another factory to be built. Though I'm not sure the benefit of having one so close to the Germany plant, other than the headaches caused by the German government regulations slowing everything down.

Maybe for another product line, eg Telsa Semi or Batteries.

I notice Tesla is building a lithium Refinery and some battery capacity across the across the border from is Texas factory, maybe they going to build something similar in France to support its German factory.

It would be nice to think one might be built here, but I guess we have enough on our plate with rocketing energy prices, voice to parliament issues and Canberra groping syndrome.
Building or encouraging some manufacturing capability is outside our skill set at the moment, we're building the future, one stuff up at a time.:xyxthumbs

Increased revenue stream will be nice for the SP.

Tesla Supercharger Network Potentially Worth $100B According To Analyst

Such a valuation would make Tesla's charging network more valuable than most automakers in their entirety.

Tesla's decision to open up its vast charging network to other automakers has undoubtedly had significant knock-on effects on the entire automotive industry. Arguably the biggest talking point is that new EVs from Tesla's first two charging partners, Ford and GM, will feature Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector going forward.

Hence the NACS connector will become the new gold standard for EV charging in North America, with the Combined Charging System (CCS) significantly diminishing in popularity. As a result, automakers who refuse to partner with Tesla and continue to use CCS will be at a significant disadvantage.

By partnering with Tesla Ford and GM now have access to an additional 12,000 chargers in the US and Canada. That said, owners of their vehicles will understandably have to pay slightly more than Tesla users to charge up on the network.

In terms of how much revenue Tesla will make from opening up its network, some analysts reckon a figure of around $3 billion by 2030 is plausible. Meanwhile, Morgan Stanley’s Adam Jonas recently tried to value the Tesla Supercharger network in its entirety.

Jonas calculated a number of hypothetical scenarios, with variables including EV penetration and net operating profit after tax. He concluded that, provided Tesla begins to produce and store its own solar energy to power its chargers, the network itself could be worth up to $100 billion.

Such a valuation would make Tesla's Supercharger network more valuable than several mainstream automakers such as Hyundai and BMW. It's important to note that this is just one analyst's approach, with plenty of others having slightly more pessimistic takes. That said, Adam Jonas is considered one of the best Tesla analysts and has a proven track record.

I put a reasonably sized bet on TSLA recently.

It seems to be rolling out one upbeat announcement after another probably in a planned manner.

I bought a kicker in F just to keep the table bets less asymmetrical.

I agree the Charging Arm will be self sufficient as a standalone entity soon.

gg

Was talking with some planners from the Local council this morning in relation to among other things, some long term planning issues with Electric Vehicles.
One of them was saying that the advice given to the planning group from some "energy experts" , was that within 5 years the role out of large EV charging stations will become somewhat redundant. The rationale is that as battery systems improve in a manner similar to moores Law with computing chips, EV's will be capable of 1000 Km's before needing to be recharged. He said at that rate, most cars would only need a charger once a month, and the majority of that requirement will come from home charging, given the convenience and relative cheap cost of overnight charging. So a lot of charging stations may become very much under utilised.
Not sure if i would necessarily take that as a given, particularly outside of cites, but that is the thinking among the planner group.
Mick

Was talking with some planners from the Local council this morning in relation to among other things, some long term planning issues with Electric Vehicles.
One of them was saying that the advice given to the planning group from some "energy experts" , was that within 5 years the role out of large EV charging stations will become somewhat redundant. The rationale is that as battery systems improve in a manner similar to moores Law with computing chips, EV's will be capable of 1000 Km's before needing to be recharged. He said at that rate, most cars would only need a charger once a month, and the majority of that requirement will come from home charging, given the convenience and relative cheap cost of overnight charging. So a lot of charging stations may become very much under utilised.
Not sure if i would necessarily take that as a given, particularly outside of cites, but that is the thinking among the planner group.
Mick

It is good to see that local council employ experts that can foresee the future of battery & EV technology. Did they have next week's Lotto numbers?

It is good to see that local council employ experts that can foresee the future of battery & EV technology. Did they have next week's Lotto numbers?
Yes I was talking to one of the 'experts' at the weekly happy hour session, he was charged enough to come up with a brilliant idea, he said why don't I put an alternator on the wheel of the EV then it could charge the battery while it is moving and would never require plugging in.
I bought him another beer. :roflmao:

Musk said: "I am confident that Tesla will be in India and will do so as soon as humanly possible."

Musk says Tesla looking at significant investment in India, after meeting Modi

AA1cP2Pp.jpg

India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi shakes hand with Tesla CEO Elon Musk during their meeting in New York© Thomson Reuters
By Hyunjoo Jin and Shivangi Acharya

(Reuters) -Tesla chief executive Elon Musk said India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi was pushing the car maker to make a "significant investment" in the country, adding that such an announcement was expected soon, according to Reuters partner ANI.

His comments followed a meeting with Modi on Tuesday during the latter's state visit to the United States. A source previously told Reuters that Musk would brief Modi on plans to set up a manufacturing base in India.

India has strong potential for a sustainable energy future including solar power, stationary battery packs and electric vehicles, Musk said, adding that he hopes to bring SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service to India as well.

"He (Modi) really cares about India because he's pushing us to make significant investments in India, which is something we intend to do," Musk told ANI.

India's foreign ministry said Modi had invited the electric vehicle maker to explore investing in the country's electric mobility and commercial space sectors.

Musk said: "I am confident that Tesla will be in India and will do so as soon as humanly possible."

Musk also said he is "a fan" of Modi and he intends to visit India next year.

"Great meeting you, Elon Musk. We had multifaceted conversations on issues ranging from energy to spirituality," Modi tweeted hours after the meeting.

Executives of Tesla visited India and held talks with Indian bureaucrats and ministers last month on establishing a manufacturing base for cars and batteries in India.

Musk said last month Tesla would probably pick a location for a new factory by the end of this year, adding India was an interesting place for a new plant.

U.S. companies need to reduce reliance on China as a manufacturing base in the face of tensions between Washington and Beijing. Tesla last year shelved its India entry plans due to high import tax structures.

Modi's meeting with Musk, who owns Twitter, came days after Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey accused India of threatening to shut down the platform for not complying with content takedown orders during a 2020-2021 protest. India called the allegation an "outright lie".

"Twitter does not have a choice but to obey local governments. If we don't obey local government laws, we will get shut down...," Musk told reporters on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin and Shivangi Acharya; Additional reporting by Aftab Ahmed, Aditya Kalra, Aditi Shah, Tanvi Mehta; Editing by Conor Humphries, Angus MacSwan, Mark Heinrich, Cynthia Osterman and Kim Coghill)

Yes I was talking to one of the 'experts' at the weekly happy hour session, he was charged enough to come up with a brilliant idea, he said why don't I put an alternator on the wheel of the EV then it could charge the battery while it is moving and would never require plugging in.
I bought him another beer. :roflmao:
Hope you nominated him for the Noble prize.

Tough competition but Tesla did it, "466,140 vehicles in the April to June period, up 10% from the preceding quarter, and 83% higher from a year earlier."

Tesla beats second-quarter delivery estimates as price cuts pay off

(Reuters) -Tesla Inc on Sunday said it delivered a record number of vehicles in the second quarter, topping market estimates as price cuts and U.S. federal credits helped make its electric vehicles more affordable.

The Elon Musk-led company handed 466,140 vehicles in the April to June period, up 10% from the preceding quarter, and 83% higher from a year earlier.

Analysts on average had expected Tesla to deliver 445,000 cars, according to nine analysts polled by Refinitiv, with the lowest estimate at 439,875 and highest at 450,000.

The world's most valuable automaker produced 13,560 more vehicles than it delivered in the second quarter, although the gap has narrowed from 17,933 the first quarter.

"The price cuts was a smart poker move for Tesla and paying major dividends in the field especially for the China market," Dan Ives, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, said.

Tesla is expected to hit record sales in China, its second-largest market after North America, despite stiff competition from market leader BYD.

"We believe margins will trough the next few quarters," Ives added.

Tesla has cut prices starting in China since late last year, eroding its first-quarter margins. Tesla boss Elon Musk in April doubled down on the price war, saying the electric vehicle (EV) maker would prioritize sales growth ahead of profit in a weak economy and rising competition.

It has since increased discounts across all of its line-ups, in a move seen to reduce inventory, while making all of its Model 3s eligible for full federal credits of $7,500 starting in June in the United States.

The company delivered 446,915 Model 3 compact cars and Model Y sport-utility vehicle, as well as 19,225 of its Model S and Model X premium vehicles.

Meanwhile, the electric-vehicle pioneer has notched up a series of wins in the EV fast-charging space with companies such as Ford Motor and General Motors, as well as fast-charging equipment makers agreeing to adopt the firm's North American Charging Standard (NACS).

(Reporting by Akash Sriram, Shivani Tanna in Bengaluru and Hyun Joo Jin; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila, Lisa Shumaker and Chizu Nomiyama)

A nice confirmation from vehicle manufacturers -

EV makers plug into Tesla's charging network

(Reuters) - More electric-vehicle makers signed up to access Tesla's charging infrastructure across the United States, potentially making the Elon Musk-led company's superchargers the industry standard.

Tesla's North American Charging Standard (NACS) is more widely available and reliable than rival charging network CCS, which is backed by automakers such as Volkswagen and Hyundai Motor.

Here is a list of the companies adopting NACS:

Company Type Announcement

Ford Motor Co Automaker May 2023

General Motors Automaker June 2023

Rivian Automotive Automaker June 2023

Volvo Cars Automaker June 2023

Polestar Automaker June 2023

SK Signet Charger maker June 2023

ChargePoint Holdings Charger maker June 2023

Blink Charging Charger maker June 2023

Tritium DCFC Charger maker June 2023

EVgo Charger maker June 2023