Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

another summary

US stocks dive amid tech woes and economic fears​

By Finance News Network | More Articles by Finance News Network

US stocks took a sharp downturn on Tuesday as technology shares faltered and new economic data reignited concerns about the health of the economy.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 626.15 points, or 1.51 per cent, closing at 40,936.93. The S&P 500 dropped 2.12 per cent to end the day at 5,528.93, while the Nasdaq Composite plunged 3.26 per cent, settling at 17,136.30. All three indexes recorded their worst performances since the global sell-off on August 5.
Turning to US sectors, Tech was the worst performer on the day, plunging 4.43 per cent, whilst Energy, Communications, Materials and Industrials all closed over 2 per cent lower.
Technology stocks, particularly in the semiconductor sector, weighed heavily on the market. Nvidia, a high-flyer in the chip industry, dropped more than 9 per cent. It’s the largest one-day market cap loss for any US company on record, exceeding Meta Platform’s $232 billion decline on Feb. 3, 2022.
Other semiconductor companies, including Micron, KLA, and Advanced Micro Devices, also experienced declines. The VanEck Semiconductor ETF (SMH) fell over 7 per cent, leading the S&P 500’s information technology sector to its worst day since September 2022.
Boeing shares sold off more than 8 per cent, dragging the Dow Industrials lower, after a Wells Fargo downgrade to underweight from equal weight.
The Vix index, popularly known as “Wall Street’s fear gauge”, rose from 15.6 to 20.7, climbing above its long-term average to its highest level in three weeks.
The Vvix, which shows expectations of swings in the Vix itself, jumped from 94 to 130, suggesting investors were wary of further volatility.
Investors now turn their attention to the first major economic release of September, the US government’s August jobs report, due out on Friday. Additionally, Wall Street faces seasonal challenges, as September has historically been the worst month for the S&P 500 over the past decade.
Futures
The SPI futures are pointing to a 1.2 per cent fall.
Currency
One Australian dollar at 7.30am was buying 67.91 US cents.
Commodities
Gold has lost 0.18 per cent. Silver has dropped 2.74 per cent. Copper has lost 2.84 per cent. Oil has dropped 4.36 per cent.
Figures around the globe
European markets closed lower. London’s FTSE lost 0.78 per cent, Frankfurt fell 0.97 per cent, and Paris closed 0.93 per cent lower.
Turning to Asian markets, Tokyo’s Nikkei lost 0.04 per cent, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 0.23 per cent, while China’s Shanghai Composite closed 0.29 per cent lower.

I'm just hoping that CBA falls back to $90 so's I can get back in again.

I'd even buy at $92.78, that's how much I like the stock.

gg
Yes, GG, that would be very nice.

I like that stock too, but haven't been in it for a long time....lost my way. Hopefully, for those who like the financials as much as I did, it's a chance to time it and buy at the right price.....wrong time, wrong price= pain and a long race. Good luck.

Thanks DF

You're probably looking for this this morning @eskys

View attachment 183669
Hello debtfree, l was looking for that too. Can you please tell me where to get that in the future? And, sometimes the industry ETFs were missing in the morning report. Where can I find it on their website if that happens? I've tried looking but in vain. Thanking you in anticipation.

the wrap..
S&P/ASX 200 closed 152.7 points lower, down 1.88%.

A combination cooling sentiment in certain hot tech thematics in the US, plus renewed concerns regarding global economic growth, dragged Australian stocks lower today. More specifically, those "global economic growth concerns" dragged commodity prices lower, which then dragged key Australian Resources and Energy stocks lower today.

has the swoon ended?

ASX 200 futures are trading 2 points higher, up 0.02%.

US markets failed to bounce overnight, the US 2-and-10 year yield turns positive as markets bet on more aggressive Fed rate cuts, US job openings hit a three-and-a-half year lows as labour market eases, commodity prices continue to sag lower on growth concerns.

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 31.9 points higher, up 0.40%.

The index logged a modest rebound from yesterday's bloodletting with strong performances from technology, real estate, financial, and gold stocks.
Lower market yields are driving gains in these sectors, but given those yields are being created by a growing consensus the world is heading for an economic slowdown – they are driving significant declines in growth-oriented sectors like Energy and Resources (two of the worst performing sectors today)

ASX 200 futures are trading 9 points higher..

US markets finished pretty mixed overnight as tech gains failed to offset weakness everywhere else, markets are focused on tonight's US jobs data – a key input on whether or not the Fed will cut 25 or 50 bps later this month, Tesla says its self-driving product is coming to Europe and China early next year and Arcadium Lithium is one of the first major miners to close a lithium operation in Australia.

Hello debtfree, l was looking for that too. Can you please tell me where to get that in the future? And, sometimes the industry ETFs were missing in the morning report. Where can I find it on their website if that happens? I've tried looking but in vain. Thanking you in anticipation.
Sorry @eskys I'm not ignoring you, just have a few things on my plate atm.

I usually get it from the morning wraps as well but if it's not available I have a watchlist in Investing.com that tracks the USA ETFs they cover which is handy as it saves me waiting until Monday morning on a Sat/Sun.
I have the Symbols in A-Z in this watchlist for the ease of transferring the data to my USA ETFs spreadsheet so it shows up like the picture I posted before, after a bit of amendment.

If you want the spreadsheet and instructions, happy to share.

1725581429314.png

strong financial, consumer, and gold stocks; meltdown in lithium, uranium and energy continues

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 31.0 points higher, up 0.39%.

Sorry @eskys I'm not ignoring you, just have a few things on my plate atm.

I usually get it from the morning wraps as well but if it's not available I have a watchlist in Investing.com that tracks the USA ETFs they cover which is handy as it saves me waiting until Monday morning on a Sat/Sun.
I have the Symbols in A-Z in this watchlist for the ease of transferring the data to my USA ETFs spreadsheet so it shows up like the picture I posted before, after a bit of amendment.

If you want the spreadsheet and instructions, happy to share.

View attachment 183802
Thank you for getting back, debtfree. I knew you weren't ignoring me; hope things are more settled now for you.

Not to worry about sharing your spreadsheets and instructions. That's very kind of you to offer, thank you.

All the best.