Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

and more flesh

ASX 200 futures are trading 77 points higher, up 0.98% ..

Major US benchmarks soared on solid corporate earnings (Costco, Walmart), US retail sales growth for July more than tripled consensus expectations, China's home prices continue to spiral lower, copper prices bounce as soft-landing expectations recover plus full-year results from ASX, Amcor, Domain and GQG Partners

and more flesh

ASX 200 futures are trading 77 points higher, up 0.98% ..

Major US benchmarks soared on solid corporate earnings (Costco, Walmart), US retail sales growth for July more than tripled consensus expectations, China's home prices continue to spiral lower, copper prices bounce as soft-landing expectations recover plus full-year results from ASX, Amcor, Domain and GQG Partners
Yes today will be stellar i think on the aussie market.

and the Friday summary

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 105.6 points higher, up 1.34%.... 105 points to the better. Recouping all, and then some of last week's losses

Monday morning Wrap: ASX 200 to slip, Gold soars to all-time high + A2 Milk, Suncorp and Bluescope results

ASX 200 futures are trading 14 points lower, down -0.17%

and a rather ordinary day for most.
The S&P/ASX 200 closed 9.3 points higher, up 0.12%.

ASX 200 edges higher on surging gold stocks, but uranium meltdown continues.

missed this morning's

Evening Wrap: ASX 200 notches eight straight wins on stronger tech, gold, BHP, RIO and FMG finally bounce

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 17.3 points higher, up 0.22%

You do your best, Dona, thanks for posting.

Noticed Commsec didn't post their morning report yesterday or today, but on Twitter. Post on one and forget the other...sounds a bit like me.

I've finally worked out why the iron ore price don't always match with Bigdog's price, ie, between MI and bigdog's. Market Index uses yesterday's closing price, spot price. I've always watched futures......this is a subject for another thread....should go to gold thread too and ask about this as I always watch futures as opposed to spot price....I'll see if I can find a thread on this subject....the pros and cons.

Iron Ore​

Commodity·USD/t

At Market Close
·
20/08
Iron Ore isn't traded like most commodities. Please read the FAQs below.
Market Index tracks the industry standard NYMEX traded 62% Fe, CFR China in $US/metric tonne.

bigdog's post this morning....iron ore was up 1.6% to 96.10...

The futures this morning premarket was up according to SGX...the site is live but needs refreshing....apologies folks, I can't find the thread I was looking for...ie, chat on spot price and futures

Morning Wrap: ASX 200 to fall..

but ended in the positive ... even better as CBA and others went ex- dividend
S&P/ASX 200 closed 12.8 points higher, up 0.16%.
… it was only a few points, but back from a fall at the open – and with massive moves on results. Wisetech Global (WTC) surged 18.4% – also big post-earnings gains in Brambles (BXB), Breville Group (BRG), Charter Hall (CHC), Data#3 (DTL), Hansen Technologies (HSN), Healius (HSN), Humm Group (HUM) and many more.

There’s also 107 broker updates in tonight's Wrap, including several upgrades and downgrades, as well as technical analysis on uranium and copper. ... Plus, maybe, just maybe – we’ve just seen the low in lithium

lots of companies reporting today

Super Retail Group (SUL) | Eagers Automotive (APE) | ARN Media (A1N) | Auckland International Airport (AIA) | Insignia Financial (IFL) | IPH (IPH) | Megaport (MP1) | Medibank (MPL) | Monash IVF (MVF) | Northern Star Resources (NST) | QUBE (QUB) | Stockland (SGP) | Sonic Healthcare (SHL) | Reject Shop (TRS) Whitehaven Coal (WHC) | Growthpoint Properties (GOZ) ... and that's just the ASX200

Morning Wrap: ASX 200 to rise, S&P 500 within 1% of all-time highs + earnings

ASX 200 futures are trading 28 points higher, up 0.35%,

Thursday, the S&P/ASX 200 closed 16.5 points higher, up 0.21%.
It was another massive day on the ASX in terms of results and results-related moves. Double-digit gains or losses becoming commonplace ....
Friday, ASX 200 futures are trading 43 points lower, down -0.54%.

A weak Wall Street lead is set to drag the local sharemarket lower on Friday, gold prices pullback back sharply from all-time highs, Canada's railway labour dispute adds further pain to global supply chains and a slower day for full-year results...

the end of the week
The S&P/ASX 200 closed 3.1 points lower, down 0.04%.

Lots to get through today, including a bunch of earnings bombs and beats (plenty of +/-10% moves), as well as over 160 broker updates - such is earnings season...

Jerome Powell provided his firmest assurance yet that the central bank has successfully contained inflation, telling the annual Jackson Hole economics symposium that “the time has come for policy to adjust”.

The remarks extended a rally on Wall Street on Friday with the S&P 500 climbing to within 1 per cent of its all-time peak. Global equities, as measured by the MSCI All-Country World Index, closed the week at a record high.

The bullish sentiment is poised to spill over to the Australian sharemarket on Monday, with futures indicating the S&P/ASX 200 will open 0.5 per cent higher. The benchmark index snapped a 10-day winning streak on Friday, inching 3.1 points lower to 8023.9, and is just 1.5 per cent shy of its record.

Powell’s Jackson Hole speech on the economic outlook was bullish-dovish,” said AMP’s deputy chief economist Diana Mousina. “Given that a September rate cut looks like a done deal now, the question will go to whether the next move in the Fed funds rate should be a 25- or 50-basis-point rate cut."

The bullish sentiment is poised to spill over to the Australian sharemarket on Monday, with futures indicating the S&P/ASX 200 will open 0.5 per cent higher. The benchmark index snapped a 10-day winning streak on Friday, inching 3.1 points lower to 8023.9, and is just 1.5 per cent shy of its record.
Does popular opinion on what's happened in the Middle East (after closing of last week's trade) think it's going to affect the markets early this week?
Sounds like a good reason to dump again.

Does popular opinion on what's happened in the Middle East (after closing of last week's trade) think it's going to affect the markets early this week?
Sounds like a good reason to dump again.
Or are people blase?
The US has been getting ready to target Iran, flights have been diverted, let's look at the news you mentioned

Or are people blase?
The US has been getting ready to target Iran, flights have been diverted, let's look at the news you mentioned
Done, no surprise: Iran Israel and the US😌
US needs a war, Ukraine not going well and China too strong , Iran is perfect
So tomorrow should be good for PM