Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Tomorrow's trading on the ASX?

Market Index - Friday Evening Wrap - It should be a good read today.

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 64.9 points lower, down 0.81%.

It was a disappointing end to a promising week. But, as they say in the classics, nothing goes up in a straight line! 📈
If you're in Resources stocks, particularly base metals and iron ore, it might feel like nothing ever goes up anymore. It was another tough day for the sector as commodity prices sold off overnight.
There were a few small glimmers of light in several retail companies, however, following the second positive trading update within this sector this week – today from Universal Store Holdings (UNI).
Elsewhere, Droneshield (DRO) topped the leaders list – a tidy rebound – but it remains well off it's intraweek high.
For all of this, plus the latest in charts, gainers and losers, broker updates, and scans...
Let's dive in!

here's the continuity story

ASX 200 futures are trading 67 points lower, down -0.85%

Major US benchmarks sold off for a third straight session on Friday, a major IT outage affected companies from banks to airlines on Friday ...., Alcoa will replace Alumina in the ASX 200 on Wednesday and Macquarie issues a big sweep of REIT upgrades and downgrades.

And Biden has stepped down from the contest for Presidential election

here's the continuity story

ASX 200 futures are trading 67 points lower, down -0.85%

Major US benchmarks sold off for a third straight session on Friday, a major IT outage affected companies from banks to airlines on Friday ...., Alcoa will replace Alumina in the ASX 200 on Wednesday and Macquarie issues a big sweep of REIT upgrades and downgrades.

And Biden has stepped down from the contest for Presidential election

aha !

Commsec had the SPI futures down 141 points over the weekend and i thought that might be a little bit over-dramatic

not that i live and breath MQG analysis but their ratings on the REITs might be interesting ( especially if they more share prices nicely for me )

An article from MI over the weekend............

When the US reported a cooler-than-expected inflation print last Thursday – which drove a sharp downward move for bond yields – I kept thinking about this line from an old Morgan Stanley report:

“Charter Hall is by far the most linked to bond yields. Its P/E multiple has a -0.77 correlation vs. Australian 10 year bond yields, and -0.68 vs. US 10 year Treasury yields … This means that as bond yields decline, the multiples of these two stocks generally re-rate upwards."

Charter Hall was one of the best performing REIT stocks in the past week or so and using the cooler-than-expected CPI print as a buy signal would have worked out relatively well.

Here’s how Charter Hall performed post-CPI:

• Friday, 12th July open – Up 3.3% to $11.94
  • Friday, 12th July session high – Up 8.1% to $12.50
  • Friday 12th, July close – Up 5.2% to $12.15
It opened relatively flat on Monday but rallied intraday to a 4.8% gain.

It’s pulled back over the course of the week but still 7.5% higher post-CPI.

So next time you see a big downward move in bond yields, remember Charter Hall
aha !

Commsec had the SPI futures down 141 points over the weekend and i thought that might be a little bit over-dramatic

not that i live and breath MQG analysis but their ratings on the REITs might be interesting ( especially if they more share prices nicely for me )

An article from MI over the weekend............

When the US reported a cooler-than-expected inflation print last Thursday – which drove a sharp downward move for bond yields – I kept thinking about this line from an old Morgan Stanley report:

“Charter Hall is by far the most linked to bond yields. Its P/E multiple has a -0.77 correlation vs. Australian 10 year bond yields, and -0.68 vs. US 10 year Treasury yields … This means that as bond yields decline, the multiples of these two stocks generally re-rate upwards."

Charter Hall was one of the best performing REIT stocks in the past week or so and using the cooler-than-expected CPI print as a buy signal would have worked out relatively well.

Here’s how Charter Hall performed post-CPI:

• Friday, 12th July open – Up 3.3% to $11.94
  • Friday, 12th July session high – Up 8.1% to $12.50
  • Friday 12th, July close – Up 5.2% to $12.15
It opened relatively flat on Monday but rallied intraday to a 4.8% gain.

It’s pulled back over the course of the week but still 7.5% higher post-CPI.

So next time you see a big downward move in bond yields, remember Charter Hall
and i currently have a buy order in for extra CLW ( but will probably just miss out today)

but thanks anyway

Was going to say, Charter Hall Long Wale Reit, divs....I bought at the same price at open, hehe, good luck
the only trouble is that holding is getting rather large now , i might not be adding for a fair while

it is likely to have scurried above BHP into number 5 or 4 spot in the holdings

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 39.9 points lower, down 0.50%.

On the surface, it was only a modest 0.5% decline for the S&P/ASX 200 – and to be fair – the Aussie stock market continues to hover just below its record highs...

But, it was another tough day for mining and energy stocks as global growth concerns continue to ebb away at commodity prices, and therefore investor confidence in these sectors.
A couple of big moves today, both in the wrong direction, as news broke for South32 (S32) and trader favourite Droneshield (DRO)...

Market Index - Tuesday Evening Wrap

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 39.4 points higher, up 0.50%.

A welcome, albeit modest return to gains for the S&P/ASX 200.
But, it wasn't a case of the rising tide lifting all ships. There were solid gains in technology, consumer discretionary, and health care stocks – three of the strongest performing sectors over the last 12 months.
Elsewhere, losses in resources and energy stocks continued...you guessed it – two of the worst performing sectors over the last 12 months.
The trend is your friend, or is it? I guess it depends which side of the trend you're on!
There's one trend you can count on: You'll get everything you need to know about today's ASX trading day from our Evening Wrap, so...
Let's dive in!

Market Index - Wednesday Morning Wrap

ASX 200 futures are trading 11 points higher, up 0.13% as of 8:30 am AEST.

Major US benchmarks finished slightly lower overnight while small caps outperformed, Alphabet reported its earnings after the bell – shares down 1.6% in extended trading, oil prices hit a five-week low on easing Middle East tensions, Chinese lithium futures slump to near year-to-date lows again and Pilbara Minerals reports a massive beat in FY24 spodumene production.
Let's dive in.

Market Index - Wednesday Evening Wrap

The S&P/ASX 200 closed 7.4 points lower, down 0.09%.

A relatively subdued result for the S&P/ASX 200, with narrow gains or losses across the key battleground stocks. The Gold sector was the clear standout, with several very strong performances helping lead the Resources sector to a rare but narrow gain. Energy stocks slumped again, following crude oil prices lower. Property stocks were also sharply lower. Steady performances near record highs like the one we witnessed today, are typically a good sign demand remains firm, patiently hoovering up any supply that happens to be creeping around.
Demand is biding it's time here, it doesn't want to rush and scare away supply. It probably doesn't have to with key US inflation data due on Friday. Could be more of the same tomorrow!
Let's dive in!

Market Index - Thursday Morning Wrap ---- Edit: The header said ASX to fall but but the smaller header said up, confusing this morning but I would say they meant to say down in the smaller header.

Morning Wrap: ASX 200 to fall, S&P 500 posts worse day since 2022 + Newmont, Fortescue quarterlies​

ASX 200 futures are trading 75 points higher, up 0.95% as of 8:30 am AEST.

The S&P 500 marked its first 2% dip in 365 days after earnings from Tesla and Alphabet sucked the momentum out of big tech stocks, the Bank of Canada cut interest rates by 25 bps for a second month in a row, Newmont's Q2 earnings smash analyst expectations, Ampol flags a below consensus first-half and more quarterlies to come.
Let's dive in.