Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

From Evil Murdoch press

NSW is the toughest state to do business base on the failure rate, and has had the biggest increase in bankruptcies compared to other states.
Mick

View attachment 168782
In NSW it's probably dodgy developers deliberately dissolving the company before they get sued for not building the apartment block or whatever to code though.

I'm going to need a new work ute at some point in the near to medium term future... But only at a bargain price
a rough but functional 4WD would be nice on the farm ( the one that came with the farm needs a new engine ( and a few other repairs )

but not desperate yet

It's funny that we have all this rhetoric about the homeless in Queensland, couldn't a lot of them be given temporary accommodation at the Wellcamp quarantine facility, that cost the Queensland taxpayer $220million and housed 750 people for a short time?
OMG I forgot, the narrative doesn't fit. :rolleyes:
What's the saying, hmmmm, crickets.;)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01...st-of-living-qcoss-families-waiting/103316838
Demand for social housing has continued to increase in Queensland, with a surge of 745 families applying for accommodation.

Data released in November, for last year's June to September quarter, revealed 43,074 Queenslanders were on the waitlist for social housing – a rise of 1,600 since the quarter prior.

29 April 2023: :xyxthumbs
A $220million quarantine centre has been handed over to a property magnate after housing just 730 tourists at the 1,000-bed facility over 14 months.

The Wellcamp facility near Toowoomba, 127kms west of Brisbane, was gifted to the Wagner Corporation on Saturday after acting as a quarantine camp for unvaccinated tourists last year.

The facility went largely unused during the pandemic after completing construction in February 2022 just as covid restrictions were easing nationwide.

Last edited:
It's funny that we have all this rhetoric about the homeless in Queensland, couldn't a lot of them be given temporary accommodation at the Wellcamp quarantine facility, that cost the Queensland taxpayer $220million and housed 750 people for a short time?
OMG I forgot, the narrative doesn't fit. :rolleyes:
What's the saying, hmmmm, crickets.;)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01...st-of-living-qcoss-families-waiting/103316838
Demand for social housing has continued to increase in Queensland, with a surge of 745 families applying for accommodation.

Data released in November, for last year's June to September quarter, revealed 43,074 Queenslanders were on the waitlist for social housing – a rise of 1,600 since the quarter prior.

29 April 2023: :xyxthumbs
A $220million quarantine centre has been handed over to a property magnate after housing just 730 tourists at the 1,000-bed facility over 14 months.

The Wellcamp facility near Toowoomba, 127kms west of Brisbane, was gifted to the Wagner Corporation on Saturday after acting as a quarantine camp for unvaccinated tourists last year.

The facility went largely unused during the pandemic after completing construction in February 2022 just as covid restrictions were easing nationwide.
there is an Olympics Games coming

plenty of over-stayers then .. might need to be expanded even

Clover Moore and TfNSW has totally ruined the ambience of Sydney City.

So much money wasted to plan, design and construct their own personal visions, to the detriment of everyone except a pandered to minority.

Was in Sydney centre today. Labor looks to be turning it into a shthole again. I reckon nsw Labor will accelerate the slide
the rich and well connected drive in then park in their designated spot and take the elevator to office. The grafters and salarymen come by train in the morning, move as a phalanx through the tunnels and ascend to their workstations. Foodcourts and /or a roof bar are the main other destinations. Every recessed doorway has a mattress and detritus of the homeless. And tourists amble about aimlessly. The quay and Rocks are chocka's, Barangaroo , parks and museums less so. There is always some construction happening and the place is dirty n dusty.

the rich and well connected drive in then park in their designated spot and take the elevator to office. The grafters and salarymen come by train in the morning, move as a phalanx through the tunnels and ascend to their workstations. Foodcourts and /or a roof bar are the main other destinations. Every recessed doorway has a mattress and detritus of the homeless. And tourists amble about aimlessly. The quay and Rocks are chocka's, Barangaroo , parks and museums less so. There is always some construction happening and the place is dirty n dusty.
Turning that around, wont be easy, the homeless like Cities at least they can make connections, very difficult in country towns.
I usually walk down to the center of town at around 5am, it is really pleasant only a couple of people exercising and the homeless, I chat with most of them we get on well, they usually have been around the same traps as me.
I'm really hoping I'm wrong, but from my life experience it will be great if this is landed well, but there isn't a good feeling about it IMO.
Hope I'm wrong, maybe with computers and better data input, they can pull off a blinder, Kudos to them if they do.

According to Employment experts at Seek, there may be fewer jobs available if the job ads are anything to go by.

Employers should have an easier time finding workers if the number of applicants for job ads is any indication, and more Australians are expected to be out of work this year.
Data from online employment company Seek shows that nationally, job ads were down 17.4 per cent in the 12 months to December due to a slowdown in the economy.

Ads for tech workers were down by 32 per cent, followed by retail and hospitality sectors (down 27 per cent), which have been impacted by a pullback in consumer spending.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics this week releases the latest labour force figures for December, and economist expect the unemployment rate to remain steady at 3.9 per cent and 18,000 jobs to be added – compared with 61,500 jobs created in November.

Seek said Victoria experienced the sharpest decline in the number of job ads in the past year with volumes down 25 per cent, followed by 23.3 per cent in NSW and 16.2 per cent in the ACT. The Northern Territory was the only jurisdiction to have had an increase – at 1.8 per cent.

The falling rate at which employers sought to hire staff helped drive a 6 per cent increase in applications per job ads in the month to December, which came as national job ads rose 0.5 per cent in the month.

“For only the third time in 18 months, job ad volumes rose in December,” Seek managing director Kendra Banks said.

“The rise was supported by an increase in demand for trades and services workers, specifically labourers, welders and boilermakers, and gardening and landscaping roles.”
Mick