Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Was posted in the wrong thread:
price of meat:
Overwhelmed with grass here on the sunny coast , a bit hot so buffalo flies..
overall, happy I could keep my herd in the drought before, and should have a few in calf.
Better now but we had atrocious low cattle price at the salesyard till November or so, below cost, and only now recovering.
The cost difference between Woolies and salesyard is still mind-blowing.
Even paying butcher , beast,and counting hours I would guess we are averaging well below $8 cut and packed and that is for no economy of scale, shed process and kill in the field.
Considering that this includes fillet etc, guts,fat and skin thrown away .
@farmerge might have more accurate figures
We are still paying far too much at the shop

price of meat:
overall, happy I could keep my herd in the drought before, and should have a few in calf.
Better now but we had atrocious low cattle price at the salesyard till November or so, below cost, and only now recovering.
Even paying butcher , beast,and counting hours I would guess we are averaging well below $8 cut and packed and that is for no economy of scale, shed process and kill in the field.
???

not what i heard from the gal who delivered the last lot of heifers

the local price made it interesting to sell a younger bull or two ( haven't decided to .. but but )

but plenty of grass here , shame about the mud patches but the smaller dams are nearly full ( we rely on bore and tank water most of the time , but water in the catchments and creek is a nice bonus )

price of meat:
The supermarkets are definitely price gouging. I guess we are very fortunate in that we don't buy any meat in. Only buy in is chicken and that is a deal done with a client and fish from the local the fish monger. That is certainly not a cheap product but i likes me bit of fish/shark.

Just remember … the best and cheapest beef is your Neigbours ha ha ha ha 😝
🤣

Kind regards
rcw1
nah , the bull is a bit old but well fed ... and it self-delivers ( because it keeps climbing over the fence to fatten on this grass )

the trouble is if it disappears , who is a likely suspect ??

🤔

... but Rhino ( our older bull ) is bigger and protective of his harem .... maybe ....... if he can lift the young bull more than 10 feet ( about 700 kg ) without even stepping into it ... can he shunt the itinerant bull into the cold-room 🤔

Just remember … the best and cheapest beef is your Neigbours ha ha ha ha 😝
🤣

Kind regards
rcw1
Had a few of them over the years.
Presently have a couple of hoggets that just walked in and nobody seems to want to claim them.
Had them in one of the front paddocks for all and sundry to see.
I've named them lamb chops but She who is never wrong is giving me grief over that.
Pig fat at the moment living off the clover hay that the heifers get plus the apples and pears.

nah , the bull is a bit old but well fed ... and it self-delivers ( because it keeps climbing over the fence to fatten on this grass )

the trouble is if it disappears , who is a likely suspect ??

🤔

... but Rhino ( our older bull ) is bigger and protective of his harem .... maybe ....... if he can lift the young bull more than 10 feet ( about 700 kg ) without even stepping into it ... can he shunt the itinerant bull into the cold-room 🤔
Snaggers and mince

Maybe bit away from the topic, but I have a pet peeve in seeing losers try to ask for a deal/discount in an inappropriate type of environment - like a supermarket. I'd rather lose out on a few bucks than act like a contemptible beggar at every turn. (Obviously not talking about real estate and private used cars etc - places where some offer and counteroffer is the norm.)

Maybe bit away from the topic, but I have a pet peeve in seeing losers try to ask for a deal/discount in an inappropriate type of environment - like a supermarket. I'd rather lose out on a few bucks than act like a contemptible beggar at every turn. (Obviously not talking about real estate and private used cars etc - places where some offer and counteroffer is the norm.)

Instead of feeling contempt and superiority for people you know nothing about, imagine if you went over, offered to help them with their purchase and made their day.

Who's the real loser...

The beauty of my little discount it was offered not asked for when she realised I was paying with cash