Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

I will have to upgrade my "C" dive to a greater capacity. At great expense to the management, I'll search around for a compatible SSD and clone the data. The processor isn't suitable to upgrade to Windows 11 but then I don't want Windows 11 so I'll look to move to Linux.

I won't do it personally but talk a friend of mine in to doing it. He has an arm length of degrees in computer science, was involved in researching AI and robotics at University. Also he builds his own systems based on Linux and is fluent in a number of computer languages.

I think there is an outside chance he may know what he is doing.

I will have to upgrade my "C" dive to a greater capacity. At great expense to the management, I'll search around for a compatible SSD and clone the data. The processor isn't suitable to upgrade to Windows 11 but then I don't want Windows 11 so I'll look to move to Linux.

I won't do it personally but talk a friend of mine in to doing it. He has an arm length of degrees in computer science, was involved in researching AI and robotics at University. Also he builds his own systems based on Linux and is fluent in a number of computer languages.

Just recently built myself a new PC as the old one was running out of ram memory (32 bit) last PC lasted 13 years upgraded it along the way (SSD drive) as over spec at the time so was rusty at the process.

The PC hardware build was straight forward but transferring application data took me a week, should have gotten some one who knew what they were doing like yourself.

Put 3 drives in the new one mainly for photos of all things.

While I am an IT guy, not a fan of Bill Gates the wef guy, an android and not apple guy. I would not recommend moving to Linux for a normal user.
I understand that once you got a browser, email, a word processor and excel equivalent, you are ok.y
You might even run a windows simulator / virtual machine but I am afraid you may come to regret it.
Ask to people of similar age/interest/background before doing the jump is my recommendation.
That is my Christmas gift to you Mr @Belli 😊

That's the main use. Probably 98% or more of the time.

Used for the other 2% or less of the time.

Not interested in fancy do-dads like virtual machines, etc.
But you will need one when you will fail to open an attachment from..whoever..that can only be opened on a Mac or windows machine.
You would be better off using these thintop running android as O.S. than a Linux of any shape imho.
Anyway your call but Linux will cost you hours that non geeks usually find better use for, and remember I am/was one of these geeks..
Let this not spoil your christmas