Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Very quiet Christmas shopping. A lot of shops were empty and a lot that you would expect to be busy only had a small number compared to previous years.

Have to admit that I'd probably bought the bigger ticket items during covid along with the kids stuff. There's nothing really that interesting to buy and it feels like the same crap we had a decade ago as far as tech is concerned.

Some and the health and fitness feels like it's regressed. That's the problem with everything being made in China. We get a bunch of unimaginative cheap shoddy products on the shelves.

Very quiet Christmas shopping. A lot of shops were empty and a lot that you would expect to be busy only had a small number compared to previous years.

Have to admit that I'd probably bought the bigger ticket items during covid along with the kids stuff. There's nothing really that interesting to buy and it feels like the same crap we had a decade ago as far as tech is concerned.

Some and the health and fitness feels like it's regressed. That's the problem with everything being made in China. We get a bunch of unimaginative cheap shoddy products on the shelves.
My Christmas parking PTSD was triggered when mrs informed me we are going shopping today.... but there were plenty of empty spaces, whatever that means.

I have a bit of a theory about the Xmas rush this year. As Xmas is on a Monday, there were two non working days for people to get prepared. There is also a trend to buy stuff on The Black Friday sales as gifts. The whole thing is just spread a bit more and hardly anyone pays full ticket these days unless forced or unprepared. I doubt sales will be negative on last year.

I have a bit of a theory about the Xmas rush this year. As Xmas is on a Monday, there were two non working days for people to get prepared. There is also a trend to buy stuff on The Black Friday sales as gifts. The whole thing is just spread a bit more and hardly anyone pays full ticket these days unless forced or unprepared. I doubt sales will be negative on last year.
Heard on the Idiot Box a couple of nights ago forecast Xmas spend approximately $9 billion. Tough times !!!!

i went shopping early in the week including a computer keyboard for myself

bloody Nora !!

not only were they crazy expensive , they had all the features i didn't want and none of the two i did

oh well back through the stack of $3 second hand ones looking for one that still works properly

i went shopping early in the week including a computer keyboard for myself

bloody Nora !!

not only were they crazy expensive , they had all the features i didn't want and none of the two i did

oh well back through the stack of $3 second hand ones looking for one that still works properly
Bit like mobile phones Bucket loads of features. In my case only need a very few. Ring in and out and messaging, and a few apps. Nothing else.

Bit like mobile phones Bucket loads of features. In my case only need a very few. Ring in and out and messaging, and a few apps. Nothing else.
yes but hundreds of dollars not tens , i guess i can safely scratch JBH off my ( portfolio ) shopping list ( i was in too much shock to look for headphones of fair quality that had a cord , the other thing i was going to treat myself )

yes but hundreds of dollars not tens , i guess i can safely scratch JBH off my ( portfolio ) shopping list ( i was in too much shock to look for headphones of fair quality that had a cord , the other thing i was going to treat myself )
I wonder what the actual cost is make these products in China, two grains of rice and then the massive mark-ups here.

I wonder what the actual cost is make these products in China, two grains of rice and then the massive mark-ups here.
maybe two cups of rice , but more bells and whistles ( and things to break within a year ) than i was willing to overspend on

and then after Xmas the guilt trip agenda ( zero emission cartel ) will start lecturing over all the pollution , they profited from creating in these over-blinged products

It's hard to know the Taylor Swift concert sold out in minutes apparently and going by this news report, it is hard to know if the stockpile is because of reduced demand, or increased demand.
26.8 tonnes is a lot to get up peoples noses and that is only the coke that they have seized. :rolleyes:
As Robin Williams once said,

"Cocaine is God's way of saying that you're making too much money."​

Cocaine hauls double amid ‘global surge’​

The Australian Federal Police says organised criminals are trying to “get rich off the misery of others” as it reveals the agency seized 26.8 tonnes of illicit drugs this year
An unintended Christmas present for NSW.
The mind boggles, it must be hard to keep up with demand. 🤣

An unintended Christmas present for NSW.
The mind boggles, it must be hard to keep up with demand. 🤣

I wonder if the drug lords or bikies would be wringing their hands with grief because of this loss

I was buying new old stock outdated uncool phones for a long time, and still do. Had to upgrade to a newer model due to apps not being able to work, for a while as I was able to download older versions of the apps from a thirdparty, but they got onto that and made an auto update that crashed the app on the older phone.

I was buying new old stock outdated uncool phones for a long time, and still do. Had to upgrade to a newer model due to apps not being able to work, for a while as I was able to download older versions of the apps from a thirdparty, but they got onto that and made an auto update that crashed the app on the older phone.
There is always something that will upset the apple cart.
She who is never wrong has to update soon to 4G Trying to find a simple phone is not that simple.

Retro is IN man... Sweet.

Please Note - Due to the current unusually high demand for our services, we have closed our books for all new quote requests until the 1st of March 2024. Please get back in touch with us then if you require a quote to restore or reupholster your furniture. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Retro is IN man... Sweet.
Please Note - Due to the current unusually high demand for our services, we have closed our books for all new quote requests until the 1st of March 2024. Please get back in touch with us then if you require a quote to restore or reupholster your furniture.
wow.. name your price!

There is always something that will upset the apple cart.
She who is never wrong has to update soon to 4G Trying to find a simple phone is not that simple.
Just get an iPhone, and just use the basic stuff it’s very simple if you keep it simple.

My 86 year grandmother used an IPhone and IPad up until she died last year, she even would video call etc. it’s. dry intuitive and easy to learn, especially if you just use it to call and text message.

Just get an iPhone, and just use the basic stuff it’s very simple if you keep it simple.

My 86 year grandmother used an IPhone and IPad up until she died last year, she even would video call etc. it’s. dry intuitive and easy to learn, especially if you just use it to call and text message.
Mine is an Apple i ph but She who is never wrong baulks at the idea. Can't argue with a woman's logic if I want to eat.