Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Continuing this theme, I went to Bunnings today and it's the first time I can recall being in a hardware store that was uncomfortably crowded.

Seemed to be people everywhere. Not helped by many looking lost and phoning home. :2twocents
Mr Smurf I was forced to the Bunnings in Midland yesterday as I was short on 8'' bolts for a post and rail job. Car park was chockers the store was crowded and the shelves where i was looking were decidedly understocked. This store is massive. Staff use mob ph to find what you want. Push bikes would be a nady inclusion to just get around

Continuing this theme, I went to Bunnings today and it's the first time I can recall being in a hardware store that was uncomfortably crowded.

Seemed to be people everywhere. Not helped by many looking lost and phoning home. :2twocents
Newly sacked people looking for a projects or rushing demos before putting on sale😉

Newly sacked people looking for a projects or rushing demos before putting on sale😉
yes that's possible maybe less planning to go away for the Xmas holidays ( family Xmas at home , maybe )

a granny flat ( or extension for the returning child ) even more 'home offices/workshops'

key info would be a rise in 'small jobs ' for plumbers and sparkies as a guide to a trend , or a rise in garage/shed additions

where i was living ( up to April ) there were two residences ( in a street of less than 30 homes ) being raised and built underneath .

now i haven't heard of a new trend , but in earlier times folks used to take in 'boarders ' to boost household income ( non-family residents )

here's the usual manufactured BS response to change (SMH this time). I thought the whole idea of these idyllic places was as retirement communities. I hope the 'concerned' ones asked permission from tribal entities to live on their land.

View attachment 162994
yes the SMH has fallen a long way from when i was a paper-boy ( mid-1960s )

The broadsheet is dead. All legacy media is now activist-magazine/tabloid and the majority of plebeians lap it up..

well that is where the ad revenue is , and i got to watch it happen over the decades

the last media i bought ( on the stock-market ) was TME ( Trade Me ) a divested off-shoot of Fairfax in NZ , was a very nice ride before it was allowed to be taken over but at least they were honest about what they were ... 100% ad-revenue focused ( think SEK , REA and CAR all wrapped into one NZ vehicle )

It would seem that the folks in NSW have thrown off the mantle of high mortgage rates .
They are back leading the spending.
Maybe its the new party in charge of the state.
Victoria, as befits its new Danless State, is still very much in the doldrums .
Mick
1695967327182.png

It would seem that the folks in NSW have thrown off the mantle of high mortgage rates .
They are back leading the spending.
Maybe its the new party in charge of the state.
Victoria, as befits its new Danless State, is still very much in the doldrums .
Mick
View attachment 163152
They have probably redrawn against their new found equity in their ponzi gamble, I mean house. Lol

Just been reading about a big jump in insolvencies in the property construction sector.
From Evil Murdoch Press
Construction sector insolvencies have surged over the past three months as costs for everything from materials to insurance continue to blight the troubled $360bn industry.
According to the latest ASIC statistics, external administration appointments in the construction sector jumped to 660 in the new financial year to September 10, up 38 per cent from 478 in the same 10-week period a year ago – and a 255 per cent spike from 186 appointments in 2021.

Construction administrations represented about 33 per cent of the 2010 insolvency appointments ASIC recorded across all industry categories from July 1 to September 10, and were 140 per cent higher than the next biggest category of accommodation and food services which notched up 276 company collapses.
NSW is where builders are struggling the most. That state accounts for 59 per cent, or 389 of the total number of construction collapses.

While the data does not take into account the full September quarter, it shows a worrying sign that the weakness in the construction sector could push national insolvency figures across the board above last financial year’s total of 7942, which included 2213 construction firm failures. Overall, insolvency numbers in NSW jumped 37 per cent to 944 at the start of the financial year, up from 690, while Queensland rose 30 per cent to 325. Victoria was the only state to buck the trend where company collapses declined 1.8 per cent to 494.
Interesting that Victoria was the only state to see a fall i insolvency.
Of course it may be that most of them have already gone.
Mick

The RBA reckons the interest rate pressure in the community is still high and in their view now being felt in middle class communities. There are still hundreds of thousands of households on older low fixed interest loans that will have to refinance in 23/24

Reserve Bank to keep interest rates on hold but many more Australians to soon hit breaking point

.....New data from the RBA – released this week under a Freedom of Information request by The Australian newspaper — suggests that more Australians are using credit cards to cover the rising costs of rent, petrol, electricity, gas and insurance.

The RBA documents reveal the National Debt Helpline is receiving more calls from people who have never previously experienced financial hardship or drawn on social services.

Following a meeting with helpline representatives, an internal RBA email in July said the agency "reported a significant number of callers experiencing hardship who are accruing additional debts via credit cards, Buy Now Pay Later, borrowing from friends and family, and increasingly unpaid obligations to the ATO, their utilities providers and council rates".

But it noted that many callers were "gainfully employed" and that "examples were given of mortgagees on six-figure salaries residing in prosperous suburbs of Sydney".

"This new cohort of 'solid middle-to-upper-income' callers was on top of the more familiar cohort at the lower end of the income distribution who had more often required (or been close to requiring) the help of financial counsellors and social service," the RBA email said.

.. About 550,000 Aussies still to come off fixed rates

According to RateCity.com.au analysis of Reserve Bank and big bank data, 730,000 mortgages have already come off their ultra-low fixed rates this year, with about another 150,000 still to come off this year.

RBA data shows there were 590,000 mortgages that came off fixed rates in 2022, and there will be 880,000 in 2023 and 450,000 in 2024.

The RBA reckons the interest rate pressure in the community is still high and in their view now being felt in middle class communities. There are still hundreds of thousands of households on older low fixed interest loans that will have to refinance in 23/24

Reserve Bank to keep interest rates on hold but many more Australians to soon hit breaking point

.....New data from the RBA – released this week under a Freedom of Information request by The Australian newspaper — suggests that more Australians are using credit cards to cover the rising costs of rent, petrol, electricity, gas and insurance.

The RBA documents reveal the National Debt Helpline is receiving more calls from people who have never previously experienced financial hardship or drawn on social services.

Following a meeting with helpline representatives, an internal RBA email in July said the agency "reported a significant number of callers experiencing hardship who are accruing additional debts via credit cards, Buy Now Pay Later, borrowing from friends and family, and increasingly unpaid obligations to the ATO, their utilities providers and council rates".

But it noted that many callers were "gainfully employed" and that "examples were given of mortgagees on six-figure salaries residing in prosperous suburbs of Sydney".

"This new cohort of 'solid middle-to-upper-income' callers was on top of the more familiar cohort at the lower end of the income distribution who had more often required (or been close to requiring) the help of financial counsellors and social service," the RBA email said.

According to RateCity.com.au analysis of Reserve Bank and big bank data, 730,000 mortgages have already come off their ultra-low fixed rates this year, with about another 150,000 still to come off this year.

RBA data shows there were 590,000 mortgages that came off fixed rates in 2022, and there will be 880,000 in 2023 and 450,000 in 2024.

A lot of pain to be had yet.

the standard inflation playbook ...

crush the middle class ( and try to seize more government control )

now the mortgage issue is a little more complex than that how many went for the 5% deposit temptation , and how are they going

lenders get nervous when a loan dips into negative equity

the standard inflation playbook ...

crush the middle class ( and try to seize more government control )

now the mortgage issue is a little more complex than that how many went for the 5% deposit temptation , and how are they going

lenders get nervous when a loan dips into negative equity
I'm suffering pain so off to the Vet to get some pain killers neck and back