Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Walk around the suburbs and what I hear is not the sound of birds chirping or even traffic. Rather, it's the sound of physical work being done.

Grinders, circular saws, drills, nail guns and the distinctive sound of someone cutting concrete or asphalt plus of course the bigger stuff like trucks unloading, concrete being poured and so on.

It seems that everywhere I look something's being built or renovated and every time I walk down a street I haven't been down in a while there's something changed, there's some house that's had work done to it that's visible from the outside or there's a new garden or whatever.

That part of the economy seems to be outright booming. :2twocents

Walk around the suburbs and what I hear is not the sound of birds chirping or even traffic. Rather, it's the sound of physical work being done.

Grinders, circular saws, drills, nail guns and the distinctive sound of someone cutting concrete or asphalt plus of course the bigger stuff like trucks unloading, concrete being poured and so on.

It seems that everywhere I look something's being built or renovated and every time I walk down a street I haven't been down in a while there's something changed, there's some house that's had work done to it that's visible from the outside or there's a new garden or whatever.

That part of the economy seems to be outright booming. :2twocents
sounds like you are in Western Australia where i resided up to April those sounds you would hear are repairs from burglaries and ram-raids some businesses get hit more than once a week ( and every household seems to have several jobs that takes them away from home )

sounds like you are in Western Australia where i resided up to April those sounds you would hear are repairs from burglaries and ram-raids some businesses get hit more than once a week
Not quite :)

I'm in SA and it's definitely residential and commercial renovation work being done.

One place I walk past regularly two outdoor units for ducted air-conditioning went up last week, it's a two story house so one for each level presumably. Another just put solar panels up. A nearby shop's replacing all their lighting. Another house nice new retaining walls and fences. etc.

Just an observation that wherever I go, it seems there's someone replacing or improving something. :2twocents

We are still carrying 20 heifers from last years drop. !0 have been running with young bull and at present this lot have 5 calves on the ground. The rasoning with this move is a cow and calf unit might just bring in a few hungred extra dollars rather than selling 12-15 month old maiden heifers.

Red meat market is unbelieveably bad this year.
Our prices are down by as much as 50%.
Haven't hard of cattle being shot, but sheep yes.
And yet meat at the shops is incredibly expensive..engineered crisis..
Live cattle and sheep export bans for direct impact as AUD vs USD fall would make our cattle in demand otherwise, prevent oil exploration and ban purchases from plentiful supplies in Russia,Iran Venezuela and transport and production costs make livestock economically unviable and farm land sold to either global corporates or given away to voicy people
You will have no private car, you will not eat meat...all working to plan

well i can't wait for Brisbane/Gold Coast to host the Olympic Games ( that nobody else wanted ) their will be competitors seeking asylum everywhere , i hope they bring their own tents
Yep building a better Australia, one homeless person at a time. :roflmao:

Ms Payne says councils along the coast, including Stirling, Cambridge, Wanneroo, Fremantle, Cockburn and Joondalup, had started clamping down on people sleeping in vehicles in recent months.

She said they had a positive relationship with City of Stirling rangers when they first started sleeping in their van at Scarborough Beach about two months ago.

But that all changed last month, when they started issuing her with 'notices to leave government property' letters, threatening her with fines if she failed to move on.

At least one overnight camper at Scarborough had been issued with a 'banning notice', seen by the ABC, which warned him he could face up to 12 months in jail or a $12,000 fine if he continued to "trespass" in the area.

Ms Payne can't afford to stay in caravan parks, which she says have taken advantage of the rental crisis by hiking up fees.

"You're looking at paying $350 to $400 a week for a patch of grass while being exposed to thieves and predators so they're taking the absolute mickey," she said.

Uniting WA's Emma White said they had seen an increase in the number of people, including families, sleeping in improvised dwellings such as tents and vans in the last year.

WA has the highest proportion of homeless people sleeping in improvised dwellings in Australia at 24 per cent, according to the ABS, earning it the unenviable title as the nation's capital for rough sleepers.

Ms White said people with jobs who would have previously been able to pay their rent had joined the ranks of homeless due to the rising cost of living.

Demand had surged for Uniting's Tranby Engagement Hub – the only crisis facility in Perth open 365 days a year offering meals, showers and other services to people struggling to get a roof over their heads.

In the first six months of 2023, there were 40,139 instances of people seeking support at Tranby, compared to 25,823 in the same period last year – a year-on-year increase of 55 per cent.

Ms Payne says councils along the coast, including Stirling, Cambridge, Wanneroo, Fremantle, Cockburn and Joondalup, had started clamping down on people sleeping in vehicles in recent months.

She said they had a positive relationship with City of Stirling rangers when they first started sleeping in their van at Scarborough Beach about two months ago.

But that all changed last month, when they started issuing her with 'notices to leave government property' letters, threatening her with fines if she failed to move on.

At least one overnight camper at Scarborough had been issued with a 'banning notice', seen by the ABC, which warned him he could face up to 12 months in jail or a $12,000 fine if he continued to "trespass" in the area.

Ms Payne can't afford to stay in caravan parks, which she says have taken advantage of the rental crisis by hiking up fees.

"You're looking at paying $350 to $400 a week for a patch of grass while being exposed to thieves and predators so they're taking the absolute mickey," she said.

Uniting WA's Emma White said they had seen an increase in the number of people, including families, sleeping in improvised dwellings such as tents and vans in the last year.

WA has the highest proportion of homeless people sleeping in improvised dwellings in Australia at 24 per cent, according to the ABS, earning it the unenviable title as the nation's capital for rough sleepers.

Ms White said people with jobs who would have previously been able to pay their rent had joined the ranks of homeless due to the rising cost of living.

Demand had surged for Uniting's Tranby Engagement Hub – the only crisis facility in Perth open 365 days a year offering meals, showers and other services to people struggling to get a roof over their heads.

In the first six months of 2023, there were 40,139 instances of people seeking support at Tranby, compared to 25,823 in the same period last year – a year-on-year increase of 55 per cent.
was hoping WA was doing better than that

if that is happening in Perth ( and i assume the rest of WA to a lesser extent ) i wonder about the eastern states , but then the federal government does has this addiction to increased immigration , so i don't see an easy fix

Building back better.

Kudos to Klaus et al.

was hoping WA was doing better than that

if that is happening in Perth ( and i assume the rest of WA to a lesser extent ) i wonder about the eastern states , but then the federal government does has this addiction to increased immigration , so i don't see an easy fix
IMO we are seeing the fastest drop in living standards and the fastest increase in wealth disparity in my 60 years of living here, interesting times.
I wonder how long it will be before the plebs recognise it, or indeed if they even will recognise it, inflation the great poverty stick and Government windfall. ;)

Last edited:
IMO we are seeing the fastest drop in living standards and the fastest increase in wealth disparity in my 60 years of living here, interesting times.
I wonder how long it will be before the plebs recognise it, or indeed if they even will recognise it. ;)
well crime near the previous residence was spiraling AND it was inside a one kilometre radius of the ( major) police station ( twice as far by road ) against vehicles , residences and businesses the evidence was there to be seen

AND i expect it to get much worse , which i why i shifted to 'hicksville '

I'm in SA and it's definitely residential and commercial renovation work being done.
Continuing this theme, I went to Bunnings today and it's the first time I can recall being in a hardware store that was uncomfortably crowded.

Seemed to be people everywhere. Not helped by many looking lost and phoning home. :2twocents