Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The future of energy generation and storage

Origin energy, which has already committed to spending $600million to develop a 460MW battery at the Eraring site, and now it says it will replicate this two battery across the rest of the NEM, although it will likely increase the battery size to 77MW before it starts on other areas.
From Evil Murdoch press

Like the AGL battery site, I would love to see the economic models that underpin this decision, and what volumes of electricity they expect 9or are guaranteed), and at what prices.

Edited when I did some quick calculations.
I have read that on average, there are around 70 days in Australia when the sun does not shine and the wind does not blow enough to require secondary intervention into the market.
According to the article, the 460MW can supply power for two hours.
A quick calculation of the return gives a tad under 13 million a year.
At that rate, it will take about 35 years to get the return on capital invested, without including any profits.
There may be other sales at lower values, say overnight when the sun is not shining, but there will also be maintenance costs, and maybe financing costs to take into account.
I am certain they know what they are doing.

Mick

And there lies the problem who pays, keep in mind that the battery does offer some storage in a very short duration which may allow for system recovery in the event of a system wide fault (unlikely to be resolved however in that time frame) it will however provide system stability (if sized correctly) for some system issues.

As a rule you don't get payback on this stuff but require it none the less.

IMHO what we need most is 'deep storage' and no one seems to be putting their hands up for that.

Apart from Snowy Hydro 2.0 that is.
The money is in the batteries, quick to put in, fast payback, not in long term storage that takes years to pay for itself, that's why the Govt's have to do it.
The really funny part is the NSW and Vic Govt's are prepared to spend billions and billions on a rail line each, but wont spend a cent on pumped hydro storage, while telling everyone how green they are FW's led by FW's.
Just tell the pitchfork crew what they want to hear, people get what they deserve IMO.

The money is in the batteries, quick to put in, fast payback, not in long term storage that takes years to pay for itself, that's why the Govt's have to do it.
The really funny part is the NSW and Vic Govt's are prepared to spend billions and billions on a rail line each, but wont spend a cent on pumped hydro storage, while telling everyone how green they are FW's led by FW's.
Just tell the pitchfork crew what they want to hear, people get what they deserve IMO.

As I may have implied before, I think the environmental and land rights aspects of trying to get hydro approved means they are very unlikely to go ahead.

And no governments seem to have the balls to change that.

Last edited:
As I may have implied before, I think the environmental and land rights aspects of trying to get hydro approved means they are very unlikely to go ahead.

They will soon change their minds when people are sitting in the dark with the food in the fridge going off. Lol
Meanwhile, by the time that happens it will take years to fix it, no point in having an electric train system, with no electric. Haha
How much is Dan's brain fart train costing and how much is Snowy costing, people need electricity much more than a rail extension, they just havent realised it yet.
It's like the voice, the Feds want to off load some of their costs, Dan wants the Feds to sort out the hydro storage and replacement generation for Victoria, a massive game of pass the debt parcel is going on and someone is going to be left with a mess, guess who the plebs as usual.

They will soon change their minds when people are sitting in the dark with the food in the fridge going off. Lol
Meanwhile, by the time that happens it will take years to fix it, no point in having an electric train system, with no electric. Haha
How much is Dan's brain fart train costing and how much is Snowy costing, people need electricity much more than a rail extension, they just havent realised it yet.
It's like the voice, the Feds want to off load some of their costs, Dan wants the Feds to sort out the hydro storage and replacement generation for Victoria, a massive game of pass the debt parcel is going on and someone is going to be left with a mess, guess who the plebs as usual.

Hydro really needed to be built years ago or at least started I think its a bit late.

Hydro really needed to be built years ago or at least started I think its a bit late.
Hydro was built years ago Snowy and Tasmania, plus the DC link.
There will be more than one Snowy 2 required, so really the Government needs to move on with it, the second DC link to Tasmania was being held up by Andrews also, he was the stumbling block.

The Albanese Govt needs to turn a lot of words into action, last year there was a reduction in the installation of renewables, so they really need to move on with some actual new projects, rather than paying coal generators to stay on.
Both Federally and the States, it is all starting to look like another of those great ideas, let down by pizz poor planning and pizz poor implementation again.
The coal generators didn't set the target, Albo did. :xyxthumbs

Also as a matter of interest, when Turnbull announced Snowy 2.0, Labor said it wasn't needed and a waste of money along with many renewable experts, if you look back through this thread.

Finally in October 2022:
From the article:
The Tasmanian, Victorian and Commonwealth governments have reached a long-awaited funding deal to build the second Bass Strait underwater electricity interconnector, known as Marinus Link.
The Tasmanian and Commonwealth governments have long supported Marinus Link and funded feasibility studies, but the Victorian government's position was uncertain.
With a state election coming up, Premier Daniel Andrews has finally agreed to help fund Marinus, locking on Commonwealth support for a range of other energy projects.

Last edited:

Looking at this issue and trying to be politically neutral, as a series of brief points:

If we wanted to build a 100% renewable energy system then technically it's doable but, to do it practically and economically, does rely on what could generically be termed hydro megaprojects. That is, short duration storage in the form of batteries and small hydro schemes using old quarries etc isn't sufficient - that approach can be done technically but at huge cost.

Hydro megaprojects - primarily in Queensland, NSW and Tasmania. Far less but not zero in Victoria and basically no opportunity in SA (though SA does have viable sites for shorter duration storage which as a role to play).

On the climate issue, within the industry most seem to broadly accept the concept but consider the issue overstated. They accept the concept since common sense says altering the atmosphere would bring consequences and because science supports that notion. They consider it overstated due to the politics - if it were as serious as claimed then mainstream environmentalism would be campaigning for hydro and nuclear not against them. The basic thinking being environmentalists ought know about the environment and they clearly don't have climate at the top of the list of concerns, it's third place at best.

Which brings us to what's actually happening.

On one hand quite a few people and organisations have attempted to come up with a workable "100% renewable" plan in the Australian context and, on paper at least, a number of them actually have devised a plan. Disclosure that I'm one of them.

On the other hand we have the practical reality that, in practice, we're not doing "100% renewable" and we're not actually doing "net zero by 2050" either. Politicians can waffle on all they like, I'm not sure who they think they're fooling, but everyone from engineers and energy company CEO's to suburban electricians and plumbers doing domestic work know full well it's not on track. Some aspects are going too slowly, others are outright stalled completely. That's the harsh reality of it.

At present there's about 20 separate projects for new fossil fuel based electricity generation under active consideration, not including Kurri Kurri and Tallawarra B both of which are presently under construction.

Without naming it, I'll add that physical site works have commenced on one of two of those projects and one's well advanced, there's zero chance it's not being built despite not being formally announced as such.

Three of those projects, including one that has commenced site works, are coal based. 12 are gas based, including the one that's well advanced, and the other 5 are unspecified fuels (eg petroleum liquids or multi-fuel plant).

Separate to those, there's also 5 or so based on biomass combustion, including one that has a physical site already owned by the company. Biomass is of course renewable but certainly not without environmental impact and ongoing cost.

Not all of those fossil and biomass projects will go ahead to be clear but point is, more than a few companies have realised the situation. The time for "good" options is running out and it seems unlikely there's going to be a change of track. That being so, there's at least some ongoing future in fossil fuels whether anyone likes it or not and that includes building new capacity (declaration of bias - personally I'm not at all keen on this outcome).

Now about those plumbers and electricians at the pointy end of what's being installed at the consumer level. Ask and they'll all tell you the same - pretty much every new house gets the same basic setup and here in SA that means ducted reverse cycle A/C, electric oven, gas or less commonly induction cooktop and, the big problem, a gas water heater located such as to preclude straightforward replacement with electric. That water heating alone sinks "net zero", we're locking in gas use for a very long time to come with these new builds. Then there's design of the building itself typically paying little regard to energy efficiency, but that's another story....

Meanwhile lurking in the background of all this is a steadily ageing generation fleet and declining gas production. On the subject of the latter, for Longford gas plant capacity during winter 2022 was about 1040 TJ / day, this year about 825 TJ / day has been the limit and for 2024 it's forecast at 700 TJ / day. So gradually coming down as the Gippsland Basin (Bass Strait) fields decline. Also some smaller declines elsewhere eg the ending of production in the Sydney Basin and a bit of decline in the Otway.

Then there's the weather and this may turn out to be significant. In short the Bureau of Meteorology outlook is quite strongly biased toward warmer and dryer than average conditions across practically the entire country over the coming months.

Put all that together and we're heading for some sort of reckoning. On one hand we've got an ageing generation fleet and insufficient progress building any sort form of replacement. On the other hand action on climate change has thus far largely been "fake it 'till you make it". Meanwhile the weather outlook, if correct, will put both to the test - putting electricity supply under pressure whilst at the same time likely swinging pubic sentiment toward demanding actual action on climate not just words. Meanwhile we're running out of gas in several states.

I don't intend that as doom and gloom, just a summary of where it's at really. You can only keep talking for so long, a point comes where action not words is what counts, and on every measure the action is lacking. That's not a political comment to be clear - this problem goes back decades under governments of both major parties and with the full backing of various minor parties and others. Time's just about up for the charade though, real action is required on all fronts going forward. :2twocents

Looking at this issue and trying to be politically neutral, as a series of brief points:

If we wanted to build a 100% renewable energy system then technically it's doable but, to do it practically and economically, does rely on what could generically be termed hydro megaprojects. That is, short duration storage in the form of batteries and small hydro schemes using old quarries etc isn't sufficient - that approach can be done technically but at huge cost.

Hydro megaprojects - primarily in Queensland, NSW and Tasmania. Far less but not zero in Victoria and basically no opportunity in SA (though SA does have viable sites for shorter duration storage which as a role to play).

On the climate issue, within the industry most seem to broadly accept the concept but consider the issue overstated. They accept the concept since common sense says altering the atmosphere would bring consequences and because science supports that notion. They consider it overstated due to the politics - if it were as serious as claimed then mainstream environmentalism would be campaigning for hydro and nuclear not against them. The basic thinking being environmentalists ought know about the environment and they clearly don't have climate at the top of the list of concerns, it's third place at best.

Which brings us to what's actually happening.

On one hand quite a few people and organisations have attempted to come up with a workable "100% renewable" plan in the Australian context and, on paper at least, a number of them actually have devised a plan. Disclosure that I'm one of them.

On the other hand we have the practical reality that, in practice, we're not doing "100% renewable" and we're not actually doing "net zero by 2050" either. Politicians can waffle on all they like, I'm not sure who they think they're fooling, but everyone from engineers and energy company CEO's to suburban electricians and plumbers doing domestic work know full well it's not on track. Some aspects are going too slowly, others are outright stalled completely. That's the harsh reality of it.

At present there's about 20 separate projects for new fossil fuel based electricity generation under active consideration, not including Kurri Kurri and Tallawarra B both of which are presently under construction.

Without naming it, I'll add that physical site works have commenced on one of two of those projects and one's well advanced, there's zero chance it's not being built despite not being formally announced as such.

Three of those projects, including one that has commenced site works, are coal based. 12 are gas based, including the one that's well advanced, and the other 5 are unspecified fuels (eg petroleum liquids or multi-fuel plant).

Separate to those, there's also 5 or so based on biomass combustion, including one that has a physical site already owned by the company. Biomass is of course renewable but certainly not without environmental impact and ongoing cost.

Not all of those fossil and biomass projects will go ahead to be clear but point is, more than a few companies have realised the situation. The time for "good" options is running out and it seems unlikely there's going to be a change of track. That being so, there's at least some ongoing future in fossil fuels whether anyone likes it or not and that includes building new capacity (declaration of bias - personally I'm not at all keen on this outcome).

Now about those plumbers and electricians at the pointy end of what's being installed at the consumer level. Ask and they'll all tell you the same - pretty much every new house gets the same basic setup and here in SA that means ducted reverse cycle A/C, electric oven, gas or less commonly induction cooktop and, the big problem, a gas water heater located such as to preclude straightforward replacement with electric. That water heating alone sinks "net zero", we're locking in gas use for a very long time to come with these new builds. Then there's design of the building itself typically paying little regard to energy efficiency, but that's another story....

Meanwhile lurking in the background of all this is a steadily ageing generation fleet and declining gas production. On the subject of the latter, for Longford gas plant capacity during winter 2022 was about 1040 TJ / day, this year about 825 TJ / day has been the limit and for 2024 it's forecast at 700 TJ / day. So gradually coming down as the Gippsland Basin (Bass Strait) fields decline. Also some smaller declines elsewhere eg the ending of production in the Sydney Basin and a bit of decline in the Otway.

Then there's the weather and this may turn out to be significant. In short the Bureau of Meteorology outlook is quite strongly biased toward warmer and dryer than average conditions across practically the entire country over the coming months.

Put all that together and we're heading for some sort of reckoning. On one hand we've got an ageing generation fleet and insufficient progress building any sort form of replacement. On the other hand action on climate change has thus far largely been "fake it 'till you make it". Meanwhile the weather outlook, if correct, will put both to the test - putting electricity supply under pressure whilst at the same time likely swinging pubic sentiment toward demanding actual action on climate not just words. Meanwhile we're running out of gas in several states.

I don't intend that as doom and gloom, just a summary of where it's at really. You can only keep talking for so long, a point comes where action not words is what counts, and on every measure the action is lacking. That's not a political comment to be clear - this problem goes back decades under governments of both major parties and with the full backing of various minor parties and others. Time's just about up for the charade though, real action is required on all fronts going forward. :2twocents
Given that you say new fossil fud, plants are being built and we are running out of gas, can you comment on the cost/benefit factors of supercritical coal plants?

Given that you say new fossil fud, plants are being built and we are running out of gas, can you comment on the cost/benefit factors of supercritical coal plants?
Realising that my previous post may have been a bit confusing, I should clarify that they're proposals and nothing more. I emphasise that point - proposals not commitments.

Exception being one of the gas ones where the turbines are on site so, whilst the company hasn't publicly made a grand announcement, it's safe to say it's a goer.

For the coal projects, one of them is based on unconventional technology, that is they're not burning the coal in a boiler to run a steam turbine but instead propose to first turn it into flammable gas then burn that, and they do have the land.

The others are this stage are just proposals without commitments or obligations and that itself is much of the problem.

On one hand we have hydro projects that, apart from a few hard line extremists or those motivated by pure politics, pretty much everyone agrees are desirable and needed. Trouble is they're not proceeding anywhere near rapidly enough indeed most aren't proceeding at all, at least not thus far.

On the other hand are the assorted fossil fuel projects all of which are fundamentally based on the idea that we're not going fully renewable, insufficient hydro storage will be built in practice, and these new fossil facilities will fill the gap.

At the moment though it's really just a case of the companies positioning themselves to be ready. Have specific plans identified, approvals in place even, but they're not going to build without some deal with government. They're not keen to take the risk that a future government imposes a carbon tax etc or suddenly gets keen on hydro. The odd exception eg AGL with Barker Inlet but nothing major in the context of deep firming. It's only intermittent renewables and shallow firming (batteries) where there's some enthusiasm - but we need deep firming as well if we want reliable power.

So we have a standoff. One side has plans for hydro but can't get it over the line and actually build it. The other has plans for fossil fuels and can't get it over the line and actually build it. Meanwhile the clock ticks.

In terms of fuel, those planning to use gas or diesel are basically just assuming someone else imports the fuel and supplies it. Bearing in mind there's several LNG import terminals proposed between NSW, Vic and SA so that seems a likely outcome. And of course diesel is readily available too. This is of course an expensive option, but the underlying basis of these proposals is that of no competitor, that nobody's actually going to build something else.

For supercritical coal well we already do have three plants in Australia - Tarong North, Callide C and Millmerran all of which are in Queensland.

Callide C's had plenty of drama, the entire power station is presently inoperable. It hasn't operated at full capacity since May 2021 when the catastrophic failure of one unit occurred, and hasn't operated at all since October 2022 due to the structural collapse of the cooling tower for the other unit (there being two separate generating units at the station).

Meanwhile good old Callide B station next door with it's comparatively outdated technology and ageing (35 years old) machinery has both units running at the moment with the station humming along nicely at about 87% of capacity. It could go to 100% - just no need right now.

The failure of Callide C can't fairly be blamed on supercritical technology however, since the detail of what's gone wrong doesn't directly relate to that but rather, it relates to systems common to any coal-fired plant. The single unit Tarong North has been successful thus far, as has the two unit Millmerran station.

Economically it's much the same as with any coal plant. It needs high asset utilisation to be viable - nobody's likely to build one just to firm wind and solar for that reason alone, plus the technical difficulty.

My personal view is the new coal projects won't end up being built. Sure some plans will be drawn up an so on, land purchased even, but ultimately that's where I expect it to end. They'll end up selling the land or leasing it to someone to farm it etc. Reason being I just can't see anyone being confident enough to stump up the $ when it comes to the crunch. Maybe, possibly, the gasification one might see something built at a modest scale if someone's keen to prove the technology. Maybe.....

Now back to the gas-fired plant that's actually being built, a point of relevance there is it's at an industrial site that presently consumes rather a lot of electricity. It's not a standalone power station but is more a case of an industrial company protecting itself by building their own generating plant. That will have tilted the economics somewhat compared to a standalone facility, they'd be putting some value on protecting themselves from the market and any shortages.

Broadly though it remains a standoff. Plenty of ideas, very little actually being built when it comes to either hydro or fossils for deep firming. Hence the increasingly vocal point being made by AEMO and others expressing concern.

That's where the apparent contradiction comes from. Someone could present a long list of proposals and not be untruthful in doing so. Trouble is, not much is happening on the ground. We're not short on ideas and proposals. We are however very short on action. That's the crux of it. Plenty of ideas and proposals for all sorts of things but very little actually being built is what's causing the concern.

As for Callide C, the return to service date has slipped many times but the latest information is:

Unit C3 (cooling tower collapse in 2022) will return to operation at 50% capacity on 7 January 2024 and 100% capacity on 18 February 2024.

Unit C4 (catastrophic destruction in 2021) will return to service on 19 May 2024, so three years after the original incident, at 50% of capacity. Should be fully operational at 100% capacity from 6 July 2024. :2twocents

Last edited:
Victoria has announced that as of next year, no new gas connections will be allowed.
Whether we like it or not, all new homes will be electric only.
From Evil Murdoch Press
There will be a ban on gas connections to new homes in Victoria from next year.

State Energy and Resources Minister Lily D'Ambrosio announced that from January 1 2024, planning permits for new homes and residential subdivisions would connect to all-electric networks.

“We know that with every bill that arrives, gas is only going to get more expensive. That’s why we’re stepping in to help even more Victorians get the best deal on their energy bills," Ms D'Ambrosio said in a statement on Friday.

"Reducing our reliance on gas is critical to meeting our ambitious emission reduction target of net zero by 2045 and getting more Victorians on more efficient electric appliances which will save them money on their bills.”

The changes would also apply to new public and social housing from Homes Victoria.
Public buildings such as schools, hospitals, police stations and government-owned buildings have not yet reached the design stage but would also be required to be all-electric.
Wonder how long it will be before they force those still on gas to exit that energy source.
Mick

Recent study on pumped hydro explained.
I fully agree but the key thing is, none of this is new. Hydro-electricity having been in use for 145 years now and has always been in the top 3 sources of electricity globally.

Pumped storage is slightly newer, but reversible pump turbines have been around about 90 years now and earlier attempts using separate pumps date back to the early 1900's.

Now here's a chart of wind and solar generation in Victoria over the past day:

1690906670144.png

So we're at 9 hours and counting with minimal output, and 8 hours and counting with practically no output at all.

Now here's the 30 days to 31 July (inclusive):

1690901837313.png

Quite simply renewables can work but the amount of storage required is measured in days or even weeks, it's not measured in minutes or a couple of hours, and with present technology that leaves us with one option only at reasonable cost - large scale hydro.

Plus a strong transmission network to tie the whole thing together and achieve geographic diversity of generation. Putting wind and solar a long way away from where they're used is exactly what we want if the aim is reliability. Because extreme weather tends to be at least somewhat localised - scattering the generation around smooths it out somewhat.

Plus on-river hydro is the practical fix for the seasonal problem of heating loads in cooler climates coinciding with low solar yield. It just so happens that the very conditions that are bad for solar, clouds, tend to produce rain which benefits hydro. Excellent.

Now I say that fully aware that all of this runs straight head on into an ideological barrier and that's why I mention it. If as a society we can't come to grips with what's required, if we can't agree to break some eggs, then we'd better be hoping climate science is wrong because otherwise we're cooked.

That the lights are on in Victoria without wind or solar comes down to three things. Coal, hydro, gas in that order. If we want to ditch the coal and gas, we're going to have to get serious about hydro. Very serious.

With regard to the ongoing discussion about climate change, be it on this forum or elsewhere, I'll simply say this. There's no point bleating about climate if you're not willing to do what's necessary to fix it. Or in other words, if you're not willing to accept that big wind, solar, hydro and transmission projects are needed and that we're doing to have to break some eggs to get them built then you're not really in favour of stopping the use of fossil fuels. And if you think it's urgent enough that we need "net zero" within the next 20 years, well that means we really don't have time to mess about - a "wartime" approach is required.

That's not saying we ought dam the lot and cover the rest in solar panels, but quite simply the scale of what's required and the available resources mean some painful decisions need to be taken and sacrifices made. Either that or we carry on emitting CO2.

Politically it's all really quite strange. It's hard to see why the Coalition would oppose building wind, solar, hydro and transmission given that mostly means jobs and development in regional areas aka Nationals heartland. It's likewise hard to see why the Greens would rationally oppose such things, given the supposed urgency of the climate issue they'd logically grit their teeth and accept some carefully chosen loss of land and scenery etc as a necessary consequence of saving the planet. As for Labor, well the supposed "workers' party" would want jobs for workers wouldn't it? All this means rather a lot of those.

Trouble is, politics seems more intent on perpetual conflict than on fixing the problem. :2twocents

Last edited:
I fully agree but the key thing is, none of this is new. Hydro-electricity having been in use for 145 years now and has always been in the top 3 sources of electricity globally.

Pumped storage is slightly newer, but reversible pump turbines have been around about 90 years now and earlier attempts using separate pumps date back to the early 1900's.

Now here's a chart of wind and solar generation in Victoria over the past day:

View attachment 160406

So we're at 9 hours and counting with minimal output, and 8 hours and counting with practically no output at all.

Now here's the 30 days to 31 July (inclusive):

View attachment 160405

Quite simply renewables can work but the amount of storage required is measured in days or even weeks, it's not measured in minutes or a couple of hours, and with present technology that leaves us with one option only at reasonable cost - large scale hydro.

Plus a strong transmission network to tie the whole thing together and achieve geographic diversity of generation. Putting wind and solar a long way away from where they're used is exactly what we want if the aim is reliability. Because extreme weather tends to be at least somewhat localised - scattering the generation around smooths it out somewhat.

Plus on-river hydro is the practical fix for the seasonal problem of heating loads in cooler climates coinciding with low solar yield. It just so happens that the very conditions that are bad for solar, clouds, tend to produce rain which benefits hydro. Excellent.

Now I say that fully aware that all of this runs straight head on into an ideological barrier and that's why I mention it. If as a society we can't come to grips with what's required, if we can't agree to break some eggs, then we'd better be hoping climate science is wrong because otherwise we're cooked.

That the lights are on in Victoria without wind or solar comes down to three things. Coal, hydro, gas in that order. If we want to ditch the coal and gas, we're going to have to get serious about hydro. Very serious.

With regard to the ongoing discussion about climate change, be it on this forum or elsewhere, I'll simply say this. There's no point bleating about climate if you're not willing to do what's necessary to fix it. Or in other words, if you're not willing to accept that big wind, solar, hydro and transmission projects are needed and that we're doing to have to break some eggs to get them built then you're not really in favour of stopping the use of fossil fuels. And if you think it's urgent enough that we need "net zero" within the next 20 years, well that means we really don't have time to mess about - a "wartime" approach is required.

That's not saying we ought dam the lot and cover the rest in solar panels, but quite simply the scale of what's required and the available resources mean some painful decisions need to be taken and sacrifices made. Either that or we carry on emitting CO2.

Politically it's all really quite strange. It's hard to see why the Coalition would oppose building wind, solar, hydro and transmission given that mostly means jobs and development in regional areas aka Nationals heartland. It's likewise hard to see why the Greens would rationally oppose such things, given the supposed urgency of the climate issue they'd logically grit their teeth and accept some carefully chosen loss of land and scenery etc as a necessary consequence of saving the planet. As for Labor, well the supposed "workers' party" would want jobs for workers wouldn't it? All this means rather a lot of those.

Trouble is, politics seems more intent on perpetual conflict than on fixing the problem. :2twocents
Yes, I admit, we are talking to the wrong audience, it's the politicians not ASF members who need to be convinced.

I thought the ALP may be more progressive than the last lot of hopeless morons, but it seems that they are being held hostage by the Greens just as the LNP was enslaved by the fossil fool industry.

And if the Greens really want zero emmissions, well hydro is the perfect answer right ?

Talk about political gridlock!

And if the Greens really want zero emmissions, well hydro is the perfect answer right ?
Wind + Solar + Hydro + Batteries + Transmission.

Individually none are up to the task but put them all together and we have a fully functional, working system to not only replace existing fossil fuel electricity generation but to allow greatly increased load. That is, switch from gas to electricity in homes and business, electrify transport and so on and put all that plus the existing electrical load onto a fully renewable electricity system.

Technically it's doable. A lot of complexity but it can be done.

Economically it's affordable if we're clever and focus on picking the best options subject to meeting the technical criteria.

We don't need to dam every last creek and run a transmission line through every National Park although if it's to work then we can't avoid a few sacrifices there. But it's doable without wrecking the place and if we consider what's at stake with the climate issue well I'll argue that electrical infrastructure getting in the way of the view of the scenery is by far the lesser of the available evils. Not ideal, but it beats the alternatives.

In terms of the need for storage and transmission well there's 436MW of wind and solar going to waste between Vic and SA right at this moment. It's surplus to what can be used locally and the lines are maxed out to NSW and Tas. That's one reason why investors are losing enthusiasm - there's no point building if it's going to go to waste, that really kills the economics. :2twocents

Wind + Solar + Hydro + Batteries + Transmission.

Individually none are up to the task but put them all together and we have a fully functional, working system to not only replace existing fossil fuel electricity generation but to allow greatly increased load. That is, switch from gas to electricity in homes and business, electrify transport and so on and put all that plus the existing electrical load onto a fully renewable electricity system.

Technically it's doable. A lot of complexity but it can be done.

Economically it's affordable if we're clever and focus on picking the best options subject to meeting the technical criteria.

We don't need to dam every last creek and run a transmission line through every National Park although if it's to work then we can't avoid a few sacrifices there. But it's doable without wrecking the place and if we consider what's at stake with the climate issue well I'll argue that electrical infrastructure getting in the way of the view of the scenery is by far the lesser of the available evils. Not ideal, but it beats the alternatives.

In terms of the need for storage and transmission well there's 436MW of wind and solar going to waste between Vic and SA right at this moment. It's surplus to what can be used locally and the lines are maxed out to NSW and Tas. That's one reason why investors are losing enthusiasm - there's no point building if it's going to go to waste, that really kills the economics. :2twocents
Whether you believe in Climate Change, is in some ways , not the whole argument.
Fossil Fuels are a finite resource, and at some stage we will run out.
So regardless of whether we are trying to save the planet from climate change, the switch from Fossil Fuel was always inevitable.
Mick

Whether you believe in Climate Change, is in some ways , not the whole argument.
So regardless of whether we are trying to save the planet from climate change, the switch from Fossil Fuel was always inevitable.
Mick

Yep

Yes, I admit, we are talking to the wrong audience, it's the politicians not ASF members who need to be convinced.

I thought the ALP may be more progressive than the last lot of hopeless morons, but it seems that they are being held hostage by the Greens just as the LNP was enslaved by the fossil fool industry.

Talk about political gridlock!
The problem with the ALP as I've said before, they have great big picture ideas, it's the implementation they fall down on.
Seriously, that's why they get voted in and that's why they get voted out, the coalition only get voted in to sort out the mess.
Wash, rinse repeat.
We needed Labor in to bring about change, but as is happening in most aspects at the moment, its imploding, so the conservatives will get voted in to get it all under control, then life gets boring and off we go again. Lol

Indeed - as I've often reminded people, the limits to oil and gas in particular was the original energy problem. It's why it became an issue in the first place.

Climate didn't gain mainstream attention until far later.

In the Australian context we're well past peak production for oil and we're fast approaching the same with gas, indeed gas production is already on the downslope in Vic and SA.

Coal well the industry actually has collapsed completely in SA, production has gone to zero, and it's only taxpayer funded subsidies delaying the same in WA. The chance of Victoria having a coal industry 20 years from now is also pretty slim given there'll only be a single mine left beyond 2028.

That's not aiming to be doom and gloom, just telling it how it is. It's not about running out of coal etc per se, it's about running out of economically viable coal (etc) and it's the end of that which kills it. :2twocents

Mick
I wouldn't mind a dollar, for how many times we have said that in this thread over the years. Lol