Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Dona Aardvark logging in here; I don't see what the problem is.

Why it’s important to have an early alphabet surname.​

...The order of authors’ names on academic papers is so critical that entire academic papers have been devoted to the topic.

Economists pay a lot of attention to this because, unlike those in other fields, their names traditionally appear in alphabetical order. The research shows that people with second names starting with a letter early in the alphabet are likely to get more citations than those whose names come later, as well as fancier jobs.

One 2006 paper that analysed data from the top 35 US economics departments said having an earlier surname meant you were more likely to get tenure at a top 10 department, become a fellow of the Econometric Society and receive a Nobel Prize.

It also boosted your chances of receiving the John Bates Clark Medal awarded to an American economist under the age of 40 – and named after a man who has two enviably early alphabet names.

No wonder there’s a fightback against alphabetical discrimination

In one of those bizarre social out comes, a far right dork lokks like he is about to be jailed for performing a banned Nazi salute.
From ABC News
1728443062740.png

How is it that a dork goes to jail over something where no one was harmed, nothing was stolen,
no one was defrauded.
Who is the victim in this crime?
How does this crime compare the following.
1728443580991.png

or maybe this
1728443424283.png

How about this one

1728443312202.png

The state has gone nuts.
mick

In one of those bizarre social out comes, a far right dork lokks like he is about to be jailed for performing a banned Nazi salute.
From ABC News
View attachment 185635
How is it that a dork goes to jail over something where no one was harmed, nothing was stolen,
no one was defrauded.
View attachment 185638
or maybe this
View attachment 185637

How about this one

View attachment 185636
The state has gone nuts.
mick
Exactly. As much as a mong the guy is, it's just a gesture, just like the middle finger, drawing your finger across your neck, twerking etc.

Much better to let him do his stupid salute and then be marginalized by society, rather than nobody knows the politics of those people.

From ABC News
View attachment 185635
no one was defrauded.
View attachment 185638
or maybe this
View attachment 185637

How about this one

View attachment 185636
The state has gone nuts.
mick

Maybe because it will lead to this

1728478379052.png

Oh me, oh my.
For reasons only known to the Mad Cap't of Ye Olde Rust Bucket, I have been scuttled once again, and I haven't even bothered to mention Him very much this year.
Oh well, I guess this opens up the door a little for a bit of Cap't humour.

Exactly. As much as a mong the guy is, it's just a gesture, just like the middle finger, drawing your finger across your neck, twerking etc.

Much better to let him do his stupid salute and then be marginalized by society, rather than nobody knows the politics of those people.
Don't agree with you on this Wayne.
It is an outlawed gesture, for very good reasons, and I hope that it stays that way.

From ABC News
View attachment 185635
no one was defrauded.
View attachment 185638
or maybe this
View attachment 185637

How about this one

View attachment 185636
The state has gone nuts.
mick
Just shows how weak the judicial system is.
About time some of these Judges/Magistrates developed a backbone and dished out the sort of punishment that fits the crime.
Perhaps maximium sentences for a start, rather than pushy footing around the edge.

Don't agree with you on this Wayne.
It is an outlawed gesture, for very good reasons, and I hope th
I understand your revulsion. But if we are to ban and impose jail sentences for the symbology of egregious regimes, then we must do all of them. The USSR, communist China, the Islamic republic of Iran, ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, Turkey, Sudan, and I could go on and on and on.

Yet this symbology is of some of these resumes and ideologies have been displayed on our streets with impunity for over a year, the hammer and sickle has been a feature in protests for several decades now from our idiot leftists. (And let's not forget that the Soviets were responsible for many times more civilian and innocent deaths than the Nazis ever did)

Each of these have ideologies which are as bad or if not worse than our friends with the special armbands and their funny salute.

Why are they not being collared and jailed for a year?

Don't get me wrong I am not in any way in support of anyone doing a Nazi salute. I think they are f****** idiots.

But you either believe in free speech or you don't. If you believe in free speech, then we must tolerate idiots like this and then exercise our own free speech in arguing vociferously against it.

If you don't believe in free speech and that egregious symbology should be banned then as I've said above, ban the whole f***** lot.

I understand your revulsion. But if we are to ban and impose jail sentences for the symbology of egregious regimes, then we must do all of them. The USSR, communist China, the Islamic republic of Iran, ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, Turkey, Sudan, and I could go on and on and on.

Yet this symbology is of some of these resumes and ideologies have been displayed on our streets with impunity for over a year, the hammer and sickle has been a feature in protests for several decades now from our idiot leftists. (And let's not forget that the Soviets were responsible for many times more civilian and innocent deaths than the Nazis ever did)

Each of these have ideologies which are as bad or if not worse than our friends with the special armbands and their funny salute.

Why are they not being collared and jailed for a year?

Don't get me wrong I am not in any way in support of anyone doing a Nazi salute. I think they are f****** idiots.

But you either believe in free speech or you don't. If you believe in free speech, then we must tolerate idiots like this and then exercise our own free speech in arguing vociferously against it.

If you don't believe in free speech and that egregious symbology should be banned then as I've said above, ban the whole f***** lot.
Point taken Wayne.
But with a couple of family members who were involved in skirmishes against the Nazis, I guess we were ingrained against anything Nazi from birth.