Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Tis the bug that got me not the work.
Had 8 hours on the sack yesterday and feeling a lot better.
No aches and pains or headaches so far today.
We both have had the same symptoms, so I have blamed it on Her.
I hope you both continue to improve.

Had COVID & flu shots?

I must away all you good people.
Cattle to feed and have to cart water to those at Red Hill.
A twice daily chore, though yesterday they missed out, but there is a paddle in a dam which suffices as an emergency drink.

The wife and I went to the trivia quiz the other day, sea days you have to do something other than drink.
Anyway a question came up, what is the highest mountain and it brought back a memory that has stuck with since I was a kid, Everest is 29,002ft tall.
I always wondered as a kid how they managed to measure it to within 2 feet, so I thought I would google the height, to check my memory, to my surprise it is now 29,032ft tall.
Apparently the techtonic plate movement is pushing it up.
There you go another piece of worthless information.

The wife and I went to the trivia quiz the other day, sea days you have to do something other than drink.
Anyway a question came up, what is the highest mountain and it brought back a memory that has stuck with since I was a kid, Everest is 29,002ft tall.
I always wondered as a kid how they managed to measure it to within 2 feet, so I thought I would google the height, to check my memory, to my surprise it is now 29,032ft tall.
always thought it was 29,028ft. ...the earlier number of 29,002ft was the British calculation when triangulated from the Terai way back when. Subsequent measures have added a bit.

Wikipedia: In 1856, Andrew Waugh announced Everest (then known as Peak XV) as 8,840 m (29,002 ft) high, after several years of calculations based on observations made by the Great Trigonometrical Survey. From 1952 to 1954, the Survey of India, using triangulation methods, determined that the height of Everest was 8,847.73 m (29,028 ft). In 1975 it was subsequently reaffirmed by a Chinese measurement of 8,848.13 m (29,029.30 ft). In both cases the snow cap, not the rock head, was measured.

As a really useless bit of information, one of the survey points was Nepalgang.... 'gang' means gate in Nepali. (Nepal was closed to foreigners for many years )

I've been to Biratnagar, just down the road, and, during the dry season, I managed to get a view of Everest poking its head above the Mahabharat Range, from a location close to the India/Nepal border that is only 100m asl.

always thought it was 29,028ft. ...the earlier number of 29,002ft was the British calculation when triangulated from the Terai way back when. Subsequent measures have added a bit.

Wikipedia: In 1856, Andrew Waugh announced Everest (then known as Peak XV) as 8,840 m (29,002 ft) high, after several years of calculations based on observations made by the Great Trigonometrical Survey. From 1952 to 1954, the Survey of India, using triangulation methods, determined that the height of Everest was 8,847.73 m (29,028 ft). In 1975 it was subsequently reaffirmed by a Chinese measurement of 8,848.13 m (29,029.30 ft). In both cases the snow cap, not the rock head, was measured.

As a really useless bit of information, one of the survey points was Nepalgang.... 'gang' means gate in Nepali. (Nepal was closed to foreigners for many years )

I've been to Biratnagar, just down the road, and, during the dry season, I managed to get a view of Everest poking its head above the Mahabharat Range, from a location close to the India/Nepal border that is only 100m asl.
I told mum, school was crap. Lol

Its climate change induced techtonic change.
Mick

I only set the watering for every 5 days, thinking it would be cooling down, oh well it will save the wife a lot of work looking after them.
Water is now a serious problem for us. Having to cart about 4000 litres a day to the Red Hill Farm means out bore here at home is working overtime.
It produces a consistent rate over the 10-12 hours it is on, but how long it will keep going for is the unknown.
Hence the garden has to suffer.

Water is now a serious problem for us. Having to cart about 4000 litres a day to the Red Hill Farm means out bore here at home is working overtime.
It produces a consistent rate over the 10-12 hours it is on, but how long it will keep going for is the unknown.
Hence the garden has to suffer.

On our 5 acres the bore was down 80ft as the years progressed kept inching lower each year hard but beautiful water sat in 60 feet of limestone, was our drinking water for 30 years.