Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Today I experienced every pilots worst nightmare, a complete loss of oil and engine failure.
Fortunately, I was still on the ground doing engine runups.
Blew a hole in the oil cooler and oil spewed everywhere.
Have taken the engine out, put it on an engine stand and tomorrow will take it to an engine rebuilder for a complete overhaul.
Expecting a bill north of $50k.
Just glad I was not in the air when it blew, don't ever want to put into practice the simulated engine failure training we do every biennial flight review.
Mick

Today I experienced every pilots worst nightmare, a complete loss of oil and engine failure.
Have taken the engine out, put it on an engine stand and tomorrow will take it to an engine rebuilder for a complete overhaul.
Just glad I was not in the air when it blew, don't ever want to put into practice the simulated engine failure training we do every biennial flight review.
Mick
Yikes! Rich guy hobbies can be dangerous.

Yikes! Rich guy hobbies can be dangerous.
Indeed, this was my caper when I was competing and had this happen too. I got off lightly with a grade 4 ACL injury:

"Rose woke up in intensive care to learn he had broken his femur, had “three or four fractures” in his pelvis, “six or eight” broken ribs, a broken elbow and a heavy concussion that resulted in memory loss."

Mick
@mullokintyre totally agree with you Mick. So much better on the deck rather than 10,000m or more up there. No doubt the repair bill will scorch a hole in the wallet, but better than falling down to terra firma.

Apropos of absolutely nothing. But it's fun.. Taken from a story about the shenanigans in the current Lehrmann defamation case

One friendly observer suggested that Auerbach and Lehrmann bring to mind the Highwayman’s case, from the first half of the 18th century. Two robbers disagreed over how to split the loot and asked a court to resolve the dispute. The order from the judge was that they both be hanged.

(Not quite accurate actually. Yes they were hanged but not quite as promptly as the statement implies)

I was a bit fascinated by the Everet v Williams case which turned a long way south for all participants.

One of the interesting tidbits was the back story of William Wreathcock one of the solicitors who took part in the action. If you thought some of our modern day silks were a bit wiffy this guy was in a league of his own.

He ran the highwayman. He defended them in court. He had a rotating posse of perjurers who would alibi the highwaymen in court.

William Wreathcock — Imperfect Attorney

A highwayman (John Everet) brought suit against his erstwhile partner (Joseph Williams). The lawsuit arose as a "negotiating tactic" dreamt up by Everet's attorney William Wreathcock. Previously Williams had entered judgment against Everet in the sum of £200 (this being the early eighteenth century

WILLIAM WREATHCOCK — IMPERFECT ATTORNEY
M M Park [Published 87 Victorian Bar News 73-4 (Summer 1993)]
Mal Park
ABSTRACT: Eighteenth century legal practitioner with questionable ethics.
Malcolm McKenzie Park
KEYWORDS: Highwayman’s case — Everet v Williams — partnership — contract
—Society of Gentlemen Practitioners — perjury — paid witness —
false alibi — man of straw — suborning witness —

Mick
Did the engine auto stop on loss of oil pressure?
Or did it knock out a big end/ main bearing, throw a rod?
$50k sounds a lot, but maybe aero have to go through rigorous certification.
Expensive hobby.

Did the engine auto stop on loss of oil pressure?
Or did it knock out a big end/ main bearing, throw a rod?
$50k sounds a lot, but maybe aero have to go through rigorous certification.
Expensive hobby.
The low oil pressure alrm came on, as did another alarm about alternator failure.
By the time I shut it down there was less than a litre of oil left.
The engine had already dine 1800 hours, at 2000 it needs to be overhauled.
So I decided not to take any risks, pulled it out and sent it for overhaul.
Nothing in aviation is cheap.
mick