Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Sounds like Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, now there was a gifted guy, played a right hand strung guitar upside down left handed and to top it off he was blind.
He kind of showed that just because you were a handicapped person, you didn't have to be considered completely useless and irrelevant, an absolute Aussie legend.
Hopefully not off topic and considered relevant.

was channeling Jimi Hendrix more, but thanks for the link

Sounds like Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, now there was a gifted guy, played a right hand strung guitar upside down left handed and to top it off he was blind.
He kind of showed that just because you were a handicapped person, you didn't have to be considered completely useless and irrelevant, an absolute Aussie legend.
Hopefully not off topic and considered relevant.

i was never a fan of Mr Ynunnupingu, I found his voice to sweet and sugary.
I was more an Archie Roach bloke.

Mick

Voting time ....

From the original French, there have been many translations into English of Marcel Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu.

Many of you have soldiered on, through the entire oeuvre of 7 books, and may not remember the start of Book One. However, it is important to get the tone right, as language shifts and context changes.

Which of these versions of the opening sentence of the first book, Swanns Way do you prefer?

James Grieve
"Time was when I always went to bed early. Sometimes, as soon as I snuffed my candle, my eyes would close before I even had time to think, 'I'm falling asleep'."

Scott Moncrieff
"For a long time I went to bed early. Sometimes, when I had put out my candle, my eyes would close so quickly that I had not even time to say 'I'm going to sleep'."

Brian Nelson
"For a long time, I went to bed early. Sometimes, my candle barely out, my eyes would close so quickly that I didn't even have time to think: 'I'm falling asleep'. "

Last edited:
Voting time ....

From the original French, there have been many translations into English of Marcel Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu.

Many of you have soldiered on, through the entire oeuvre of 7 books, and may not remember the start of Book One. However, it is important to get the tone right, as language shifts and context changes.

Which of these versions of the opening sentence of the first book, Swanns Way do you prefer?

James Grieve
"Time was when I always went to bed early. Sometimes, as soon as I snuffed my candle, my eyes would close before I even had time to think, 'I'm falling asleep'."

Scott Moncrieff
"For a long time I went to bed early. Sometimes, when I had put out my candle, my eyes would close so quickly that I had not even time to say 'I'm going to sleep'."

Brian Nelson
"For a long time, I went to bed early. Sometimes, my candle barely out, my eyes would close so quickly that I didn't even have time to think: 'I'm falling asleep'. "
None of the Above.
Mick

Bemusing (and jarring) to hear some people habitually use the expression "to be honest" after a fairly simple statement. Does that mean everything else they said/say is a pack of lies? Is anything approaching frank truthfulness some weird aberration for them that needs to be honoured with special attention?

Voting time ....

James Grieve

Scott Moncrieff

Brian Nelson

Grieve's version sounds better to me, FWIW.