Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Abbott Government

What is your point?

Are you saying that he made billed tax payers for trips not related to his duties as a minister - similar to Abbott and his book signing tour perhaps?

IF you can show any of the trips he made at taxpayer expense shouldn't have been, then please present your evidence.

I said yesterday George Brandis should not have claimed for travel to Michael Smith’s wedding, even if he considered it as business more than pleasure.

But reader G makes some interesting points:

It was silly of Brandis, even though from 2 years ago. But the leftist comments of The Insiders yesterday morning were beyond the pale. Likewise, Shorten’s comments. I actually couldn’t get over the 3 minute visual montage that they played in homage to the Labor leadership. It will be very interesting to see who is paying for all these expenses along the way.

Now, it might be a task for a school researcher, or junior cadet, etc, but the Parliamentary entitlement reports do make for interesting reading, especially the more detailed breakout reports concerning each politician. The most recent of these reports however are through to 31Dec12.

But just taking the Jul/Dec12 report, for instance, whilst Brandis $0 in the 6 months on printing and communications, Shorten spent $57,700. Brandis spent $13,000 on COMCAR. Shorten spent $22,000.

Even on September 7th, Shorten charged a $25 infringement fee notice to the C/W on his private plated vehicle. He was in Melbourne at the time according to his airfare movements. Same day however, he spent $233 in COMCAR costs in 2 separate movements, $40 and $193. Shorten’s COMCAR use came to $23,000, Brandis’ to $13,000.

Family use COMCAR for Shorten was $234. For Brandis, it was $0.

Brandis’ home state is QLD. In the 6 months, he had 5 COMCAR movements >$100 in Brisbane. He had 18 interstate COMCAR movements >$100. Brandis’ Brisbane spending on COMCAR (>$100) was $670 for the period.

Now, for Shorten. He spent $22,400 in COMCAR costs during the 6 months, including 63 COMCAR movements >$100 each trip. Of these, 41 were within Melbourne, at a cost of $7,800 and 22 were interstate, at a cost of $3,300.

$9000 was spent reimbursing Shorten for family travel costs. For Brandis, it was $0.http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...shorten_drove_our_dollars_a_lot_further/#iit=

I thought Abbott did well in Indonesia. I think it was a master stroke to make trade and investment the theme of the meeting rather than asylum seekers. From Indonesia's perspective it probably showed that Australia's interest in Indonesia extends beyond Bali and boatpeople. When you look at the rising incomes of this enormous country right on our doorstep it is strange indeed that Australian business has hitherto ignored Indonesia.

I thought Abbott did well in Indonesia. I think it was a master stroke to make trade and investment the theme of the meeting rather than asylum seekers. From Indonesia's perspective it probably showed that Australia's interest in Indonesia extends beyond Bali and boatpeople. When you look at the rising incomes of this enormous country right on our doorstep it is strange indeed that Australian business has hitherto ignored Indonesia.

I agree. At last he realises that he can't stop the boats. Only the Indonesians can do that. Any boat that pulls the plug after entering our waters will have it's cargo of illegals rescued by us and taken to Christmas Island. It has always been thus and will continue to be. Those who don't pull the plug will sail merrily on to be welcomed at the Island...to be on-forwarded to PNG/Nauru.

One thing that will not happen is that is that any of them will be returning to Indonesia. You have to give the Indonesians credit. They are playing with a stacked deck. Only they, can enable Abbott to keep his top priority election promise.

We're VERY luck to have had SBY as the Indonesian president for so long. i think just about any other leader there would have returned fire more than a few times to the silly domestic oriented political rhetoric.

I worry what the relationship will be like when he steps down as he can't stand for a 3rd term.

Has Fairfax political journalist Mark Kenny finally had a change of heart on Tony Abbott ?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...tt-had-no-need-of-lplates-20131001-2uqry.html

IIRC, he described the Coalition's asylum policies as a shambles (or something similar of that nature) on the ABC's Insiders show on Sunday.

The Australian's Paul Kelly,

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/...he_bungler_in_indonesia_they_falsely_claimed/

Shorter Paul Kelly: Now that he's in power he can drop the pretense he's going to turn back the boats (for operational reasons of course).

Shorter Paul Kelly: Now that he's in power he can drop the pretense he's going to turn back the boats (for operational reasons of course).
the term "Turn back the boats" was for domestic political purposes.

If there's a better way with Indonesia's cooperation, then so be it. The aim after all is to stop them.

If there's a better way with Indonesia's cooperation, then so be it. The aim after all is to stop them.

If by "domestic political purposes" you meant it was a policy that he never had any intention of implementing and just put out there to get the more gullible bogans riled up (noco etc.) then I agree.

He hasn't gotten anything new from Indonesia with regards to cooperation on asylum seekers so the idea that they've presented him with some fantastic policy to replace his fake turn back the boats policy is silly.

The aim of turning back the boats is to turn back the asylum seekers that are on board them.

We've already had at least two examples of that since the Abbott government was sworn in with the cooperation of the Indonesians.

That is one of the worst one sided arguments/defenses I have heard in a long time.

Just deleted a long winded reply, if I need to justify what I said im talking to someone who will never get it anyway

Exactly but the media are so hell bent on a story they persist with anything that might be remotely controversial, especially the ABC.

That is one of the worst one sided arguments/defenses I have heard in a long time.

Just deleted a long winded reply, if I need to justify what I said im talking to someone who will never get it anyway
If it was a continuation of attacking the poster, then it obviously wasn't worth reading in any case.

My bolds.

If it was a continuation of attacking the poster, then it obviously wasn't worth reading in any case.

My bolds.

Um, yes you did.

Just seems unnecessarily rude.

LOL good god wouldn't be any thing like the pages and pages directed at me or any one else making a point about Abbotts many faults.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of faults

Ministers' muzzling a dangerous strategy in government

In one of the lighter moments towards the end of the recent presidential-style election campaign, Labor's campaign headquarters issued a press statement configured as a faux police bulletin.

It said grave fears were held for the whereabouts of once high profile Liberals, Peter Dutton, Sophie Mirabella, and Eric Abetz.

The respective health, industry, and workplace relations shadow ministers had become almost invisible. Labor was desperate to draw them on to policy terrain usually judged as stronger for the ALP.

Unsurprisingly, the Coalition was just as desperate to keep them quiet

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/ministers-muzzling-a-dangerous-strategy-in-government-20131003-2utc1.html#ixzz2gbKGuRWA

Abbott broke law with media shutout, say Indonesian journalists

Tony Abbott has incurred the wrath of Indonesia's journalists by excluding them from a press conference, and even committed a criminal offence, according to the head of the country's journalists' union.

Local journalists were incensed that, on the Australian Prime Minister's first official visit, he locked them out of his Tuesday morning press conference.

Indonesian language newspaper Rakyat Merdeka spent a large part of page 10 of its Wednesday edition focused on the snub, saying it was discriminatory.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-broke-law-with-media-shutout-say-indonesian-journalists-20131002-2usnn.html#ixzz2gbKTFKKg

AEC just confirmed three PUP senators.

Cause & effect!

Que sera sera

Party back room deals came back to bite em all.

Labor paid their price and moved quickly to reform.

Abbott vacillating... political price = test of integrity = having to suffer that which he criticized Labor for, a minority government (in Senate) in the meantime and have to deal with product of LNP back room deals feud until he passes test.

AEC just confirmed three PUP senators.

Cause & effect!

Que sera sera

Party back room deals came back to bite em all.

Labor paid their price and moved quickly to reform.

Abbott vacillating... political price = test of integrity = having to suffer that which he criticized Labor for, a minority government (in Senate) in the meantime and have to deal with product of LNP back room deals feud until he passes test.
I think you'll find that the new senate will be large right wing and will support the government on many issues.
So maybe reserve your crowing for a while.

I think you'll find that the new senate will be large right wing and will support the government on many issues.
So maybe reserve your crowing for a while.

Not crowing... just noting the irony and 'natural justice' that has settled out from the election.

Essentially, we're in the same position as before in that the balance of the 'actors in the circus ' is a bit to the right of centre.

Someone has to step up to do what it takes to earn the overwhelming support of the electorate again or we appear to be on track for a lot more minority governments and new 'pups' on the block.

On face value the senate seems more to the right, but especially if Palmer holds his seat in the reps, and given his strategy this election has been more successful than others, it's likely he'll have more effect on the formulation of laws than first thought due to his hostility toward the LNP and his ambition to become the dominant political player. That is we're likely to see him play the man (his arch enemy, the LNP) harder than the ball (merit of laws) for political advantage.

Given Palmer has aligned with Labor on some policy, and what may be the most important issue by next election in terms of the electorate... open scrutiny and grass roots representation, if the LNP does not reform accountability of their party, that may be all that Palmer and the Labor need to dwell on to justify a standoff in law making and set themselves up on a bit higher moral podium to damage the LNP chances of maintaining their 1.8% swing.

The real test is to come, when parliament reconvenes.

For example, Abbott has an implicit duty to introduce laws to change the AEC act for next election... as 'common sense' demands... if he does this before the LNP changes it's preselection ways, all these polys that got in on by beating the big parties at their own back room game are likely to play the hypocrite card to good effect... cry moral standards, 'the LNP is only interested in self preservation' all the way to next election all over again with limited good law being passed.

In the end Abbott not only has to do good things, but be seen to be openly accountable to grass roots by next election. By virtue of being the last cab off the reformed party ways rank, there's a contradiction in there that leaves him at a disadvantage.

LOL good god wouldn't be any thing like the pages and pages directed at me or any one else making a point about Abbotts many faults.
That's not pages and pages of anything around your feet.

It's your own feathers.

On face value the senate seems more to the right, but especially if Palmer holds his seat in the reps, and given his strategy this election has been more successful than others, it's likely he'll have more effect on the formulation of laws than first thought due to his hostility toward the LNP and his ambition to become the dominant political player. That is we're likely to see him play the man (his arch enemy, the LNP) harder than the ball (merit of laws) for political advantage.
You're omitting his natural political philosophical bias which is to the right.
Yes, he's peeved that he was essentially thrown out of the LNP in Qld and like a kid whose toy has been taken away, will be wanting revenge. Mr Palmer might be rich, but I doubt he's particularly mature for a person of his age.