Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Storm at Sea

Ahoy Brave and Loyal Crew, Family , Friends , Stowaways and Our Ever Expanding Spectator Fleet

I posted tis article on ASF in the year 2007 to mixed reviews

Captain_Chaza

Joined7 March 2007Posts1,216Reactions1,593

If you want to enjoy all the Screaming and Carry-ons from the Fundamental Gurus go to Fundamental vs. Technical

I wrote this article nearly a decade ago
I can't see that anything has changed since

"Fundamental v Technical "

“No man can serve two masters,” wrote Saint Matthew!"

"There are two basic approaches for deciding the future direction a sailing ship of any size and design might move.

The fundamentalist approach is faced with a massive information-gathering problem. Every fact relevant to the craft must be known and weighted according to its importance and its price equation. The skipper here assumes his own interpretations and his known facts are better than average.

He will analyze all the facets of world politics and its effects on the global economic community on a regular basis. He will study each member of the global exchange from currencies and interest rates to commodities and raw materials, to the latest developments in design technologies in the multitude areas of human activity.

He then turns his head to the economic statistics price/earning ratios, dividend yields, company reports on as many ships as he can mentally digest and consume as much written matter time allows. This is truly an awesome task for any skipper even those with a crew of skilled academics on each floor of a high-rise office building.

Unfortunately for the fundamentalist by the time he receives most of his information and statistics it is hopelessly out of date. By the time he evaluates and mixes up his recipe for a rational decision the moon has moved the tides. He often complains he is living in an irrational world and that the world has just gone temporally mad. Naturally, “She’ll be right in the long term,” he always says.

How often does a ship move in the opposite direction immediately after a good or bad report? Since information is never leaked in this fairest of all sports with its strong rules of fair disclosure, he will often claim an event has already been factored into the equation by the gamblers. How often does he cling to the skimpiest of fundamental good news as the price descends deeper and deeper south?

Because this has happened so often in the past it has even turned some fundamentalist heads inside out and they have developed a reverse fundamental approach.

This down-under, upside-down fundamentalist or contrarian viewpoint has surprising much to offer. Here the skipper has acknowledged the fact that punching the latest fundamentals into his computer will result in garbage.

He has accepted the fact that everything has been leaked and that it is not a fair game at all, but All-Out War.

Also, in view of his past experiences he has decided that he hasn’t been as close to the good information chain link as he would have liked and refuses to be fair game in the future.

The Technical believes that no fundamental fact whatsoever matters unless the masses have this shared psychology and provides the only mechanism to measure this irrational and emotional component.

Any experienced campaigner knows and the novice will soon discover how deeply the counter productive aspects of tension, anticipation and anxiety alter the way a skipper sails the seas. Usually directly proportional to the funds committed.

The technical believes the oceans are extremely efficient with its global sharing of information and regularly observes the actions of others, not their talk.

The technical can put objectivity at the helm and control the nemesis of all sailors at sea on the Global Exchange namely, emotion and rationale. They provide the mechanism to set entry and exit points, set risk/reward ratios and even foster a safety and risk management approach to sailing in all types of sea and weather conditions.

Technical allows the skipper to step back and gain a better insight and perspective of the Global Exchange and carry out numerous ship surveys. A chart is worth more than a thousand words.

The technical viewpoint encompasses every participant’s knowledge and beliefs about the future direction a craft may head next. It takes into account all the known facts as well as the human interpretation of those facts. More importantly it also takes into account fundamental news not yet known to the general public and is right up to date.

Finally, the fundamental academic with the I know all attitude who has ridiculed and under estimated his technical opponent for so many years, now believes he has room on board for some technical.

Unfortunately, as more and more skippers sail on technical, more ships are now moving accordingly, there is no room onboard for any fundamentalist with his long term excuse and his minuscule amount of up to date facts. He is in fact a most dangerous dinosaur to have onboard. He must be avoided at all costs and only regarded as fair game. Whether he is a bull or a bear he cannot change his spots and will always cloud a skipper’s judgment and coarse many costly delays.
Sailing in this modern era is all about the

Technical verses Technical.

I don't think it has dated at all
Please do not reignite this war of FA verses TA here on " Storm at Sea"

Salute and Stay Well
HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

Ahoy Brave and Loyal Crew, Family , Friends , Stowaways and Our Ever Expanding Spectator Fleet

" WEEK-ENDS are for CHAMPIONS "
" Sailing the Global Exchange is The Greatest Sport of Them All"

Please wind this video back to the Start

Salute and Stay Well
View attachment 159910

Ahoy there Skip . A truly intriguing video , although I had to sit through it twice , to comprehend those three motor- mouthed New Yorkers .
A good thing too , that this vid has not been put up on our forum's Beginner's Thread . In a sea of sharks and fronting up to quants and god-knows what else , that's looming over the horizon , a despairing learner would be inclined to just give up on this racket and get a proper job.

Ahoy there Skip . A truly intriguing video , although I had to sit through it twice , to comprehend those three motor- mouthed New Yorkers .
A good thing too , that this vid has not been put up on our forum's Beginner's Thread . In a sea of sharks and fronting up to quants and god-knows what else , that's looming over the horizon , a despairing learner would be inclined to just give up on this racket and get a proper job.
A very warm welcome aboard Sea- Cadet dyna
Now that you are a registered Sea-cadet on the Good Ship HMAS Ship of Fools you will receive Emails as they are posted
As a Brave and Loyal member of the Crew I ask you to never question the Captain's orders

You can Learn Technical Analysis here by watching or/and you can Learn the Hard Way?

I am amazed it took you 10 years to find us here on ASF

I have always said " The First 10 years are the Worst"

Salute and Gods' speed

HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

Ahoy Brave and Loyal Crew
Seems that while the Captain was down below on Friday having his legendary Long Lunch
LITHIUM got hit by Gale force winds
Sailing for LITHIUM -----One WEEK at a Time ----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time
1690099349631.png
Fortunately we battened down the Hatches and Not too much damage was done
Actually the Gale mainly hit the "Quality " class of Lithium Produces

BUT Not our 3 MAGNIFICENT LITHIUM STORM SAILS
Sailing the WC8--- ----One WEEK at a Time -----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time
1690101421613.png
Crikey! Look at that
She has gone off the charts (refer to the Weekly above)
I have had to change the Vertical Scales to Logarithmic
Hold on Tight!

Sailing the DLI---------One WEEK at a Time -----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690102565139.png
She is holding up well
Hold on Tight!
However in these treacherous seas I am Setting a STOP LOSS ALERT @ 85 cents

Sailing the LRS---------One WEEK at a Time -----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690103121160.png
My 1st Mate ( Grandson) was over today to survey the Charts and Asked me Why I sold 50% of our LRS @ 31c
Which indicator indicated a Sell ?
I said
" None."

"Just learn to do as I say. "
"Don't do as I do!"
"Sailing the Global Exchange is like Golf
There is no perfect game!"
Hold on Tight!

Salute and Gods' Speed

Week #8.png

Ahoy Brave and Loyal Crew---
Keep the hatches battened down --Wet weather gear is in order --

Hold on tight to our Energy Classifications

z1889e00az4e6260ef6b584c5f96a75c0c6942a0bb.png
Chart data is real-time, as of 24 07 2023 10:20am AEST

HeatmapLegend.png
-2.5%
0.00%
2.5%
Colour is based on price performance

Salute and Gods' speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

The Seas continue to be really Choppy
z0c907c0az4a7e7ab5ecf24f0f8a9a3cb35f7848ae.png
Chart data is real-time, as of 24 07 2023 10:35am AEST

HeatmapLegend.png
-2.5%
0.00%
2.5%

Salute and Gods' speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Phew! She certainly can be Merciless !

Looks like the worst maybe over?

Sailing for LITHIUM---One WEEK at a Time -----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690178216550.png
Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

You did Good yesterday holding Tightly onto our Energy Mainsails WDS and STO
They should GAP UP nicely at dawn today
Hold on very Tight as we tack NORTH to Blue Skies

Sailing the WDS----- One DAY at a TIME

WDS d.png

Sailing the STO-----One DAY at a Time
STO d.png

Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Lowered the DLI ---
STOP LOSS executed @ 0.845

Sailing the DLI ------One WEEK at a Time -----&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690245715573.png
Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Lowered 50% LRS---
STOP LOSS executed @ 0.33c

Sailing the LRS------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time
1690246768618.png
Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Double RUM rations and Double Deserts are in Order
I didn't have time this weekend to Post the performance of my Magnificent Bellwether COPPER Mainsail

This is how she finished on Friday Night ---NY time
Sailing the FCX------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690276620685.png

You can't tell me that Things are not getting better!

Our Major COPPER Holdings is in one of the largest COPPER producers on Earth
In the wake of the FCX our Magnificent BHP followed on NORTH
Up 3.43 % today

Over the decades she has swallowed up MIM and OZL to name only 2 and then spat out all her GOLDs in the formation of NCM
That's what I call "BRILLIANT!"

Sailing the BHP------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time
1690276531676.png

We are also holding SFR but she is always hindered with her interests in GOLD IMHO as you can see in the chart
Up 4.43% today

Sailing the SFR ------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

1690276037173.png
Salute and Stay Well
HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

Attachments

• 1690274602922.png
    1690274602922.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 1
-- Hold onto your hats
Our NICKLE and COPPER Classifications of sail are off to a great start and should do us proud today

z1f88e00azf5636ac4ce374c0999ba4e2ea70dc7ac.png
Chart data is real-time, as of 26 07 2023 10:12am AEST

HeatmapLegend.png
-2.5%
0.00%
2.5%

Salute and Gods; Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Food for thought....a man cannot serve two masters (not always true) but masters can have many servants.

* waiting to be caned

Trouble in Paradise

z1489e00az1fe13ae4b3c14ee1be2841727ae5a77c.png
Chart data is real-time, as of 27 07 2023 10:16am AEST

HeatmapLegend.png
-2.5%
0.00%
2.5%

Salute and Stay the Course
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Double RUM rations and Double Deserts are in Order
I didn't have time this weekend to Post the performance of my Magnificent Bellwether COPPER Mainsail

This is how she finished on Friday Night ---NY time
Sailing the FCX------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

View attachment 160055

You can't tell me that Things are not getting better!

Our Major COPPER Holdings is in one of the largest COPPER producers on Earth
In the wake of the FCX our Magnificent BHP followed on NORTH
Up 3.43 % today

Over the decades she has swallowed up MIM and OZL to name only 2 and then spat out all her GOLDs in the formation of NCM
That's what I call "BRILLIANT!"

Sailing the BHP------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time
View attachment 160054

We are also holding SFR but she is always hindered with her interests in GOLD IMHO as you can see in the chart
Up 4.43% today

Sailing the SFR ------One WEEK at a Time --------&-----------One DAY at a Time ----------------------& -------------5 MINUTES at a Time

View attachment 160052
Salute and Stay Well
View attachment 160056
Ahoy Brave and Loyal crew

Crikey!
My much loved SFR finally went NORTH up 9% toady
Was it because of COPPER or GOLD ?
Frankly my dear Sea-cadet Esky, I Don't Give a Damn

1690454654867.png
Salute and Gods' speed
HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

Attachments

• 1690454075710.png
    1690454075710.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 1

All hands on Deck
That was a horrible night in NY last night
Wet weather Gear is is order
Trim Sails and "RUN for SHELTER"

z1489e00az72debff5af0845258cc987f3d6450b52.png
Chart data is real-time, as of 28 07 2023 10:09am AEST

HeatmapLegend.png
-2.5%
0.00%
2.5%

Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

Ahoy Brave and Loyal Crew, Family, Friends, Stowaways & Our Ever Expanding Spectator Fleet

" WEEK-ENDS are for CHAMPIONS "
I especially liked the quote " But, There is a Dividend"

" Sailing the Global Exchange is The Greatest Sport of Them All"

Lots to enjoy while we learn to get better

Salute and Stay Well
HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

As you can see in the videos, I am not the only One who Sails the Global Exchange on Technical Technical and Only Technical

Sailing with Tailwinds at your back and into Headwinds is what Sailing is all about

As we all "Learn the Hard Way" let's start off this week's Ocean Trials in "Real Time"

The Rules in Engagement for these Ocean Trials

#1 Don't look at the Name of the Financial Instrument
Even this small amount of Fundamental Analysis can be dangerous and can show some mental BIAS

#2 For a Starter in TA Only COMPARE the Small Yellow Crosses against the CLOSING PRICE of each Instrument/SAIL

If the Yellow Crosses are below the Closing Price it is assumed you have Tailwinds at your Back
If the Yellow Crosses are On Top of the Closing Price it is assumed you are sailing into Headwinds

It's as Simple as that !

Sailing the XYZ? ---------One WEEK at a Time----&------------One DAY at a Time---------------------&-----------5 MINUTES at a Time
1690696757122.png

1690696476038.png

1690697145567.png

1690697712159.png
1690698120922.png
Do I use the WEEKLY Charts or the DAILY Charts Yellow indicator

For BEST results I found The Hard Way !
Use BOTH!!!!
Double Up or Double Down
Whichever Way the Winds Blow

ie: HOIST # 1 sail for when you have DAILY Tailwinds behind your back
Hoist # 2 sail for when you have WEEKLY Tailwinds behind your back

Conversely

ie : LOWER #1 sail for when you are facing DAILY Headwinds
LOWER #2 sail for when you are facing WEEKLY Headwinds

In Summary

What you will find is at any TIME past and present when Sailing any Financial Instrument you will Have

ZERO (0 ) sails presented to the Wind
ONE ( 1 ) sail presented to the Wind or
TWO ( 2 ) sails presented to the Wind

It's as Simple as That!

You are all probably wondering why I dont put any Value /Money on the 5 MINUTE chart

I only use MINUTE charts to mainly show the TRUE Gaps on the Open
IMHO It blows all Automated Backtesting out of the water

Personal back-testing can only be done by the Conscientious

Many More Ocean Trial Charts to Follow
I promise to Show No Mercy

TBC

Salute and Stay Well
HMAS  Ship of Fools.gif

Last edited:

How many sails, if any ? Would you have presented to the wind in this set of Ship's Design of Sail
ZERRO (0) , ONE (1) or TWO (2)

NB: These Open Sea Ocean Trials are only for the Conscientious willing to do there own paperwork

Sailing the XYZ? ---------One WEEK at a Time-------------------------------------&------------One DAY at a Time----------------

1690704228733.png

1690704389430.png

1690704765455.png

1690704920336.png

1690705102811.png

1690705803916.png

1690706121869.png
1690706556301.png
Salute and Stay Well
Invest.jpg