Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Recent Events Beyond Earth

"Capella was Purra , killed by the Gemini twins??? or by the Orion Hunter?? etc"

must be a pisstake - lol - Wikipedia is making it up surely. Since when would Ab mythology include references to Gemini, Orion etc ;)
From http://sa.apana.org.au/~paulc/loreaussie.html

"The Borong people of northwestern Victoria saw the star Capella as a kangaroo named ‘Purra’ that was being pursued by two hunters ‘Wanjel’ and ‘Yuree’, we now see these two as the twins of Gemini, the bright stars Pollux and Castor."

For those who like just looking at the night sky (and aren't blinded by all those piddling little human-made light sources getting in the way), this might also be interesting:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/AboriginalAstronomy/whatis.htm

From http://sa.apana.org.au/~paulc/loreaussie.html

"The Borong people of northwestern Victoria saw the star Capella as a kangaroo named ‘Purra’ that was being pursued by two hunters ‘Wanjel’ and ‘Yuree’, we now see these two as the twins of Gemini, the bright stars Pollux and Castor."

For those who like just looking at the night sky (and aren't blinded by all those piddling little human-made light sources getting in the way), this might also be interesting:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/AboriginalAstronomy/whatis.htm
brilliant ghoti thanx :)
when they come to take the TV away, I might have to resort to watching the stars for entertainment too , lol:2twocents

Interesting that the southern cross was giant stingray, and the pointers were two sharks. Question. Does that make em "white pointers"? ;)

Interesting too that the milky way becomes a "river passing through a celestial plain". (the ‘Wodliparri’ is a watercourse curving through ‘Womma’). So it turns out over the years we've been sending rockets from Woomera to Womma.
"Woomera was named thus after the Aboriginal spear thrower of the same name, in recognition of the place being a launch site in much the same way the woomera launches the spear".

The population of "Woomera Village" reached 6000 people at its peak, but is now stable at around 300. Next to the village is the Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA), a military area 127,000 square km in area; it is about the same size as England, making it the largest testing area in the world.
You're not wrong about the light pollution though. One of the real pleasures of getting away from the cities (whether bush or to sea) is to lie back and look up at the stars on a clear night. - 1000 star accommodation as they say . :2twocents

The night sky of Aboriginal Australia is filled with information, wonder and edification and this curiosity plus drive to connect with the cosmos still makes many of us ponder when we view the night sky
there's that "religion" sneaking in again - drive to connect with the cosmos - even if it's billions of light years across. (visible universe 46 billion light years in any direction according to wiki :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

Attachments

• ab stars.jpg
    ab stars.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 814
  • local universe.jpg
    local universe.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 275
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe
The comoving distance from the Earth to the edge of the visible universe is about 46.5 billion light-years in any direction; this is the comoving radius of the visible universe. It is sometimes quoted as a diameter of 92.94 billion light-years[5]. Since the visible universe is a perfect sphere and space is roughly flat, this size corresponds to a comoving volume of about etc

So - when the Pope argued with Galileo that the earth was flat, what he REALLY meant to say was that the Universe was flat !

I mean maybe he was misunderstood :confused: :confused:

more or less? (or moral-less?)

Incidentally, I posted some youtube links on "videos with a message".
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=189870&highlight=hubble#post189870

PS was trying to explain to this blonde down the road "imagine 3.4 x 10^80 cub metres - I mean that's about 2 x 10^80 fridges, 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (easy ! ;))

She says "ridiculous! -
and what would anyone want with that many fridges anyway.!"

Attachments

• universe.jpg
    universe.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 365
http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/lunaeclipse2007/
two and a bit days to go for this little number .....
No matter where in Australia you are on August 28, you'll be in for a top show once the sun goes down. A total lunar eclipse will be visible right across the country from sunset. The only problem with all that family-friendly moon viewing is dealing with the mind-bending questions the kids are going to ask..
lol

you can only guess what effect a red moon and /or all 4 quarters of the moon on one night would have had on the savages of old days -
and /or the three wise men for that matter :)

Attachments

• red moon.jpg
    red moon.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 783
  • red moon 2.jpg
    red moon 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 359
Amazing. So I wonder if aliens lifeforms are monitoring this forum?:rolleyes:

Once upon a time (no not a nursery rhyme) the earth had many people with limited knowledge of the planet Earth.Physical laws were not understood.So it was that people learned through imagination , experimentation and exploration that the planet Earth is understandable.We learned why , how and when and there is a finite (it can all be known??) amount of knowledge yet to be uncovered.

Spooly noted the double slit experiment with matter seemingly being in two places at once.:eek:For the average tick tocker , getting into the mysteries of this planet are just too stupid , we are caught up in money , mortgages , raising kids , traffic , politics , wars and other people influences to care less about our planet.It`s like being prisoner in a place of incredible beauty.Who is your warden and who is your prisoner?

Anyway , I thought (there is that knowledge slip) that Antares was the largest star but the boys sky gazing tell me VV Cephie is.So here is a brief video (not actual lol) of the size comparison.2020 ... note the size comparison of VV Cephie in relation to the Milky Way galaxy. 1/1,689,794 of a single pixel.Noting the Milky Way galaxy is one of ....

For example, in 1999 the Hubble Space Telescope estimated that there were 125 billion galaxies in the universe, and recently with the new camera HST has observed 3,000 visible galaxies, which is twice as much as they observed before with the old camera. We're emphasizing "visible" because observations with radio telescopes, infrared cameras, x-ray cameras, etc. would detect other galaxies that are not detected by Hubble. As observations keep on going and astronomers explore more of our universe, the number of galaxies detected will increase.

So .... is there life beyond Earth? Probably still evolving!!!!!!!!!

Once upon a time ...........

Spooly noted the double slit experiment with matter seemingly being in two places at once.:eek:For the average tick tocker , getting into the mysteries of this planet are just too stupid , we are caught up in money , mortgages , raising kids , traffic , politics , wars and other people influences to care less about our planet.It`s like being prisoner in a place of incredible beauty.Who is your warden and who is your prisoner?

So .... is there life beyond Earth? Probably still evolving!!!!!!!!!
wys, brilliant post m8 -
I don't think I used to (previuosly) really, deep down, believe in life on other planets
but after this thread I realised I'm starting to think
that it's crazy to deny it,

that was a month or two ago, when there were only 125E18 stars out there (estimated) (and 5 times that planets I guess, or whatever)

now (with NASA's estimate of 1E21 stars (8 times as many), I'm starting to wonder just how many ? I mean, if I was prepared to believe that there were 2 planets with life last week - then surely I should be prepared to believe that there are 8 x 2 = 16 planets this week :confused:

PS My mortgage still dwarfs this VV Cephie XX Cephei thing lol - I add a photo of it.

Attachments

• mortgage.jpg
    mortgage.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 427
.. ... note the size comparison of VV Cephie ?? Cephei?? in relation to the Milky Way galaxy. 1/1,689,794 of pixel ..
PS Please don't think Milky Way is to scale back there ;)

but it's about right for my mortgage - still "what's made round is made to go round" I guess :eek:

PS such numbers / sizes etc force you to go back to arguing things that arguably fall into the "arguably pedant vs possibly pedant" argument (which as you know I also arguably happily join in) . SO !!.....

PS What happened to "i" before "e" except after "C"??.!!!...
Explain me that !! huh!

PS the fine print says something about - at this scale , VVCeph which is 1900 (?) times bigger than our sun is (something about) smaller than planet? :confused:
sufficient to say that Milky Way dwarfs it ;)

Attachments

• milky way2.jpg
    milky way2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 720
Just seen this story while looking for the meteor story.

Extreme ultra violet light girls and boys on the 21st. & 22nd. of Sept.

The sun is rotating (once every 27 days) and soon the hole will face Earth, causing a stream of solar wind to sweep past our planet on Sept. 21st or 22nd. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras.

AURORA WATCH: Japan's Hinode spacecraft is monitoring a gaping hole in the sun's atmosphere--a "coronal hole"--that is spewing solar wind into space. It is the enormous black gash in this image from Hinode's onboard x-ray telescope:

Attachments

• hinode_xrt_strip.gif
    hinode_xrt_strip.gif
    39 KB · Views: 721
PS Please don't think Milky Way is to scale back there ;)

PS the fine print says something about - at this scale , VVCeph which is 1900 (?) times bigger than our sun is (something about) smaller than planet? :confused:
sufficient to say that Milky Way dwarfs it ;)

How big is it at this scale? :D

The parsec (symbol pc) is a unit of length used in astronomy.

The actual length of a parsec is approximately 3.262 light-years.

1 light year = 9,460,730,472,580.8 km.

A distance of one thousand parsecs is commonly denoted by the kiloparsec (kpc)......... for example, the nearest known star to the Earth, other than the Sun, is Proxima Centauri, 1.29 parsecs away.

A distance of one million parsecs is commonly denoted by the megaparsec (Mpc).........for example, the Andromeda Galaxy (Our closest galaxy) is 0.77 Mpc away from the Earth.

Now check these pics out :bonk:

Attachments

• 500mpch.jpg
    500mpch.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 125mpch.jpg
    125mpch.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 167
  • 31.25mpch.jpg
    31.25mpch.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 168
I can`t find any news on the present coronal opening facing the Earth (plenty of news on death and destruction though
sad-smiley-030.gif
).So here are some pictures in various wavelengths of the sun.The dark patches are coronal openings.(it`s i before e except after h too(their)lol)

An Angstrom is a unit of length equal to one ten-billionth of a meter and one kelvin equals - 272 ºC (60000 kelvin = 59727 ºC)

EIT (Extreme ultraviolet Imaging Telescope) images the solar atmosphere at several wavelengths, and therefore, shows solar material at different temperatures. In the images taken at 304 Angstroms the bright material is at 60,000 to 80,000 degrees Kelvin. In those taken at 171, at 1 million degrees. 195 Angstrom images correspond to about 1.5 million Kelvin. 284 Angstrom, to 2 million degrees. The hotter the temperature, the higher you look in the solar atmosphere.

Attachments

• 20070920_1300_eit_171.gif
    20070920_1300_eit_171.gif
    55.7 KB · Views: 710
  • 20070920_1325_eit_195.gif
    20070920_1325_eit_195.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 688
  • 20070920_1306_eit_284.gif
    20070920_1306_eit_284.gif
    60.7 KB · Views: 681
  • 20070920_1319_eit_304.gif
    20070920_1319_eit_304.gif
    60.7 KB · Views: 693
If not only for visual pleasure a few things are happening `out there` so the two i noted were the goal of recently launched NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander and the colourful pictures of galaxies in motion. Why is there not another living organism `out there`.:confused:

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander, launched on Aug. 4 and headed to Mars, fired its four trajectory correction thrusters Wednesday for only the second time. The 45.9-second burn nudged the spacecraft just the right amount to put it on a course to arrive at the red planet seven months from today.

At Mars, Phoenix will face a challenging 7-minute descent through the atmosphere to land in the far north on May 25, 2008. After landing, it will use a robotic digging arm and other instruments during a three-month period to investigate whether icy soil of the Martian arctic could have ever been a favorable environment for microbial life. The solar-powered lander will also look for clues about the history of the water in the ice and will monitor weather as northern Mars' summer progresses toward fall.

First photo is from an existing robotic explorer on Mars (Spirit)and the second photos are of galaxies from the Hubble scope.Could make a soothing desktop background.

Attachments

• mars spirit.jpg
    mars spirit.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 655
  • Antennae.jpg
    Antennae.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 161
  • Arp.jpg
    Arp.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 140
great photos wys and spooly ;)
I just bought a $250 digital camera - it's a beauty -
I just have to work out how to set the defaults to "night settings", and I'll post some more photos just like those.

PS they should make this Hubble's theme song... ;)

A Whole New World

"can show you the world
- a new fantastic point of view " :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Hubble
http://hubble.nasa.gov/

Attachments

• hubble.jpg
    hubble.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 617
If not only for visual pleasure a few things are happening `out there` so the two i noted were the goal of recently launched NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander and the colourful pictures of galaxies in motion. Why is there not another living organism `out there`.:confused:

First photo is from an existing robotic explorer on Mars (Spirit)and the second photos are of galaxies from the Hubble scope.Could make a soothing desktop background.

Thats very interesting, Wysiwyg!

I thought all the galaxies were on the same plane, but that seems to show galaxies at right angles to each other.

Another reason to believe in evolution is the time line involved with the life cycle of a star.
The lifespan of stars varies from thousands of years for massive stars to billions for smaller stars. Our Sun, which is of average mass, is predicted to live for about 10 billion years (it is about halfway through).
The Earth will be dead by the time our local sun starts to change although the change will not be noticable.We will consume the planet well before then.This video has a bit of a story on stars burning out and the time line is hard to comprehend against human consciousness.
The Hubble images show the evolution of planetary nebulae, revealing how they expand in size and change temperature over time. A young planetary nebula, such as He 2-47, at top, left, for example, is small and is dominated by relatively cool, glowing nitrogen gas. In the Hubble images, the red, green, and blue colors represent light emitted by nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen, respectively.
Over thousands of years, the clouds of gas expand away and the nebulae become larger. Energetic ultraviolet light from the star penetrates more deeply into the gas, causing the hydrogen and oxygen to glow more prominently, as seen near the center of NGC 5315. In the older nebulae, such as IC 4593, at bottom, left, and NGC 5307, at bottom, right, hydrogen and oxygen appear more extended in these regions, and red knots of nitrogen are still visible.

These four nebulae all lie in our Milky Way Galaxy. Their distances from Earth are all roughly the same, about 7,000 light-years. The snapshots were taken with Hubble's Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 in February 2007. Like snowflakes, planetary nebulae show a wide variety of shapes, indicative of the complex processes that occur at the end of stellar life.

http://revver.com/video/393235/hubble-shows-stars-going-out-in-style/

and some rough facts on the fire in the sky.

Earth Sun's energy output (386 billion billion megawatts) is produced by nuclear fusion reactions. Each second about 700,000,000 tons of hydrogen are converted to about 695,000,000 tons of helium and 5,000,000 tons of energy in the form of gamma rays. As it travels out toward the surface, the energy is continuously absorbed and re-emitted at lower and lower temperatures so that by the time it reaches the surface, it is primarily visible light. For the last 20% of the way to the surface the energy is carried more by convection than by radiation.

I think the pictures are real except for one.:eek:Good desktop images.

Attachments

• mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 61
  • mars1.jpg
    mars1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 56
  • mars2.jpg
    mars2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 67
  • mars3.jpg
    mars3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 570
some nice pictures in this thread. i'm really into the whole "grand scheme of things" as far as the universe goes and from quantum physics all the way up to universal cosmology there are distinct, repeatable patterns that are largely self regulating. the universe is all about systems, given a certain set of preconditions you can expect a probable, ordered outcome. this goes for any ordered state, be it a galactic supercluster, a solar system, a tree, a human being or the stock market. that's what elliot wave unconsciously does, it just notices a universal pattern playing out through human behaviour.

grand unified theorists are after the whole 1 sum that will explain it all, and if anything could be "God" then that sum would be it, although whether it can be found, or if it even exists is a question for debate. either way the large hadron collider is coming online, they are running tests now so what we discover we can play out all the way to the edge of the universe.

first picture is a brain neuron, second is from spoolys megaparsec post.

Attachments

• universe.jpg
    universe.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 157
  • neuron.jpg
    neuron.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 51
How`s it goin disarray, mate that avatar looks alot like the doctors arch enemy, davros.:p:I was an every afternoon ABC Doctor Who watcher when I was a kid.(had to catch the next episode of the story)

Apparently there are about 100 billion of those neuron things in a human brain.Wonder why they are not all good in everyone.It`s them programmers, I bet.
Yes the processes of life/non-life are, generally speaking, repeating cycles.(two observers can see this and agree on it) Though a bit like splashing a dollop of paint onto a wall.The process of splashing the dollop of paint can be repeated over and over but each time there is a unique and individual effect.No one splash exactly the same yet similar.

I watched that program about SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) and felt a strange emptiness when they said they had received no signals from another life form.Sort of like ... earth is the only planet with life in the whole universe.Wouldn`t that be fascinating to hear communication from another life form.It is our destiny to ask the question and find the answer.This is evolution.

First pic. of a SETI fellow and then the massive construction of the LHC.

Attachments

• PVR002_006.jpg
    PVR002_006.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 72
  • PVR007_000.jpg
    PVR007_000.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PVR005_000.jpg
    PVR005_000.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 48