Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Recent Events Beyond Earth

I was reading the other day (sorry can't remember the site), that there is a space explorer moving out of our solar system and into the galaxy, of which was being pulled back by the apparent gravity of the sun. Obviously, as the explorer gets further away, the pull of gravity will ease and the explorer will be able to pick up speed, the further it got away, no speed was gained. One arguement beyond faith (unless something else explains this phenomena), for the electric universe.

Then again, skim read it, so probably missed a few points.

Does this sound right?

M,

Re theory vs faith (with regards to science)

Faith ==>> what they believe

Theory ==>> what you believe

:):):)

LOL.

Yeh, science is definately a bit arrogant and dogmatic about their 'proof'.

Generalisation of course.

Any news on creating a black hole yet? I don't follow this, but the possibility and if it was actually achieved, would be astounding! Hope it doesn't suck them in! Once they eat, they grow, right? ;)

MRC... ;)

ps science is better than blind faith mate

Attachments

• far side black hole.jpg
    far side black hole.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 227
I was reading the other day (sorry can't remember the site), that there is a space explorer moving out of our solar system and into the galaxy, of which was being pulled back by the apparent gravity of the sun. Obviously, as the explorer gets further away, the pull of gravity will ease and the explorer will be able to pick up speed, the further it got away, no speed was gained. One arguement beyond faith (unless something else explains this phenomena), for the electric universe.

Then again, skim read it, so probably missed a few points.

Does this sound right?

Yep, they are the Pioneer probes 10 and 11.
They are off by about 3000km each year ....nobody has been able to explain this yet.
This could be though of as an effect of the Electric Universe but it`s certainly not a prediction...don`t know of any actually.

Could be that the vacum of space is not uniform wrt speed of light, dust from the kuiper belt, or we don`t understand gravity as well as we think we do :confused:

There have been some more recent anomolies found by NASA and closer to home.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080229-spacecraft-anomaly.html

Pioneer 10 & 11 are heading out of the solar system and both appear to be slowing down more than expected. Scientists are trying to find out why. This is where science differs from fundamentalist religion - the fundamentalist believes the Bible, Quran, or whatever is correct, any evidence to the contrary is just ignored or passed off with "It must be wrong."

Scientists do experiments to test their theories, the results of which may mean the theories have to be adjusted. There's no faith involved. A scientist may say "I have faith that this experiment will give such-and-such a result" because he believes a theory is correct. But if the result is different from expectations the theory will be adjusted to take account of the new data. The fundamentalist just says "Whatever happens, it's all part of God's plan"/"We can't presume to know God's mind"/"God moves in mysterious ways" and other such bull****!

Pioneer 10 & 11 are heading out of the solar system and both appear to be slowing down more than expected. Scientists are trying to find out why. This is where science differs from fundamentalist religion - the fundamentalist believes the Bible, Quran, or whatever is correct, any evidence to the contrary is just ignored or passed off with "It must be wrong."

Scientists do experiments to test their theories, the results of which may mean the theories have to be adjusted. There's no faith involved. A scientist may say "I have faith that this experiment will give such-and-such a result" because he believes a theory is correct. But if the result is different from expectations the theory will be adjusted to take account of the new data. The fundamentalist just says "Whatever happens, it's all part of God's plan"/"We can't presume to know God's mind"/"God moves in mysterious ways" and other such bull****!
Yes we all know fundamentalists do that. Let's not bother with them.

My issue is i the "adjusting" of theories to suit new data. Sometimes adjustments are valid and an improvement of theory.

Sometimes they are are to rescue a theory.

Come on!! We've seen over centuries that scientists stick doggedly to theories well past their use by date. This cannot be denied.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bagging out science. But science is run by fallible humans who are inclined towards faith and cognitive bias, whether that faith is directed towards some musty old book, or a pet theory. Scientists can be as resolutely close-minded as fundamentalists.

They are both naked apes.

Sorry for the cynicism, but my point is consistently observable and therefore irrevocable... not an article of faith at all. ;)

You seem to really follow this stuff Spooly.

That article is definately very interesting, particularly the part about 'new physics'.

This is one reason I wonder how much the scientists know about the effect of a black hole, if they can infact, create one. What will happen? How do they know they can confine it?

Keep us updated anyways, as I do not follow these things anymore.

But always watch the moon when I go outside at night and just think, WTF!!!!! :confused:

My issue is i the "adjusting" of theories to suit new data. Sometimes adjustments are valid and an improvement of theory.

Come on!! We've seen over centuries that scientists stick doggedly to theories well past their use by date. This cannot be denied.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bagging out science. But science is run by fallible humans who are inclined towards faith and cognitive bias, whether that faith is directed towards some musty old book, or a pet theory. Scientists can be as resolutely close-minded as fundamentalists.

Sorry for the cynicism, but my point is consistently observable and therefore irrevocable... not an article of faith at all. ;)

I don`t think you are really being cynical here, but I feel it covers a broad spectrum of scientific fields.
In the context of this thread though, i just don`t see how faith plays any part.
Physicsts have a very good model for our understanding of the Universe and it`s all straight forward inference from observation....and all falsifiable!

You couldn`t prove to a person of (insert religion here) faith, that there was no god....not the same here :2twocents

This is one reason I wonder how much the scientists know about the effect of a black hole, if they can infact, create one. What will happen? How do they know they can confine it?

I`m almost sure that the LHC machine itself does not have enough power to create black holes .... but if they do manage to see the result of a black holes, the extra energy would have had to come from somewhere else .... more dimensions:eek:
As for containing them, even if did last, they would be theoritically so small that they could pass through an iron bar from here to the moon and be lucky to hit even one proton :cautious:
Don`t think they can say with any certainty what will happen....more a case of what they think they know, rather than what they think they know.

Hey dudes, just arrived home after visiting a favourite holiday destination with my friends Fleagle, Bingo and Drooper.Had a ball in the dune buggy until Drooper crashed into a rock (one of the many I might add) but he came out unscathed though a little red faced.
Managed to take some shots from the balcony of our apartment.Hope y`all like them.

Glad to be home. Your friend, Snorky.

Attachments

• mars3.jpg
    mars3.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 117
  • mars2.jpg
    mars2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 105
  • mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 127
Hey dudes, just arrived home after visiting a favourite holiday destination with my friends Fleagle, Bingo and Drooper.Had a ball in the dune buggy until Drooper crashed into a rock (one of the many I might add) but he came out unscathed though a little red faced.
Managed to take some shots from the balcony of our apartment.Hope y`all like them.

Glad to be home. Your friend, Snorky.

geez Mars looks like a hole

Thats the beauty of science, a dodgy theory can be tested and disproven/confirmed. Just because someone wants to hold onto a false assumption, doesn't mean science will follow along with the scam. All it takes is one to question, test, and analyse the results.

Kepler 22b a bit of noise and highly unlikely to be anything more than wishful thinking. Being 600 light years (600 * 9,460,730,472,580.8 kms) away, no one is going to go there either.

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.
Kepler-22b is located 600 light-years away. While the planet is larger than Earth, its orbit of 290 days around a sun-like star resembles that of our world. The planet's host star belongs to the same class as our sun, called G-type, although it is slightly smaller and cooler.

Kepler 22b a bit of noise and highly unlikely to be anything more than wishful thinking. Being 600 light years (600 * 9,460,730,472,580.8 kms) away, no one is going to go there either.
One of these will do the trick, with the exception of bottom middle.

Attachments

• StarTrekEnterpriseHistorywallpaper1024.jpg
    StarTrekEnterpriseHistorywallpaper1024.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 43