Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Please feel free to make suggestions!

Hi Joe

Loving the new design, colours are nice and easy on the eye.

I had a thought as I was scrolling, that it would be great if the top of the page (to the drop down menu ) remained static.
As you scrolled through the posts you could change to another thread without having to return to the top of the page again.

Just reading some of these posts and ASF members love it in here. You must be proud of such loyal members. It is certainly the most professional stock forum I've found, so is now the only one I visit.

Hi Joe

Loving the new design, colours are nice and easy on the eye.

I had a thought as I was scrolling, that it would be great if the top of the page (to the drop down menu ) remained static.
As you scrolled through the posts you could change to another thread without having to return to the top of the page again.

Just reading some of these posts and ASF members love it in here. You must be proud of such loyal members. It is certainly the most professional stock forum I've found, so is now the only one I visit.

Hi SMJ,

Thanks for your support and kind words about the forum! :)

As convenient as it would be, your suggestion would unfortunately be impossible to implement using this particular forum software. However, as you reach the end of any page of a thread, you will see the link 'Top' in the site footer (just below 'Similiar Threads'). If you click on this link you will find yourself immediately back at the top of the page. It's not quite as good a solution as your suggestion, but I hope it will save you scrolling back up to the top of the page quite as much.

Everybody seems to love the new design, so I am bit reluctant to voice my dislike of dim green on pale blue with pale grey on bright white quotes blinding like proverbial lightning.

Will get used to it, but not too happy.

Everybody seems to love the new design, so I am bit reluctant to voice my dislike of dim green on pale blue with pale grey on bright white quotes blinding like proverbial lightning.

Will get used to it, but not too happy.

I appreciate the feedback Happy, even though you are not thrilled with the new design. I knew it wasn't going to please everybody but it had to happen nonetheless. There will be some tweaking over the coming week. Hopefully that will improve things for some.

the old saying

blue and green
should never be seen

but i appreciate the effort of what being done myself

well done..

I knew it wasn't going to please everybody but it had to happen nonetheless. There will be some tweaking over the coming week. Hopefully that will improve things for some.

Some colour combinations are more difficult on eyes, also big jumps in brightness.

Hope your tweaking will go little bit my way.

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure if this suggestion is practical or possible, but I would find it useful to be able to have the option of being able to display more than 19 "New Posts." That is, a filter that allows "Display most recent New Posts, 1-19 ", or "Display most recent New Posts, 1-39" and so on, in a similar fashion to searching transactions in a bank account. Cheers, Skint

base or case study. borrow (copy) and steal everything.
one should look to success of the competition to see what is working and get ideas.

HC is a very busy site. why? many web forums never get anywhere. time is of no consequence in many cases as to how well a forum will do or how popular it is or will become.

what i see that makes HC successful, is ;

1. the zero tolerance policy of admin to members flamming eachother. also, they are very consistent in enforcing it.
2. initially i didnt like the HC format. now i love it. the design of the forum is user friendly. only drawback is lack of pm facility.
3. its a bit of a jungle. more rampers, down rampers, discussion and banter. its a healthy forum.
4. if you ask for opinion you get a good cross section; rampers and down rampers, and facts. (neg and poss).

the consolation is that ASF is the second most popular forum and never heard a bad word about it. ASF already has a good base of posters, and many cross from HC to ASF.

my suggestion would be to copy (buy the software) the HC forum style, adopt a zero tolerence flamming policy, relax the ramping rules, and keep the pm system.

my 2c.....

imo HC is a dogs breakfast with 1 out of 100 posts being useful.

Stay as far away from it as possible! :2twocents

imo HC is a dogs breakfast with 1 out of 100 posts being useful.

Stay as far away from it as possible! :2twocents

coke, Mc Donalds, etc are dogs breakfasts, but they are SUCCESSFUL. it depends on where ASF wants to go. i believe that not to imitate success for some percieved moral standard, is a limiting decision that will inhibit ASF from its best potential outcome.

but it aint my show...

relax the ramping rules,

Genuine question here ... how would any relaxation of the ramping rules make ASF better? :confused:

One reason I avoid some other forums is I find having to read through posts that are a ramp (it's easy to tell) tedious and time-wasting.

not all ramps have an ulterior motive. someone may just be possitive about an oucome. but like i said, rampers are balanced by down rampers, and remember the majority of posts are fair opinion. its healthy.

its the most popular site...so someone likes it..

not all ramps have an ulterior motive. someone may just be possitive about an oucome. but like i said, rampers are balanced by down rampers, and remember the majority of posts are fair opinion. its healthy.

its the most popular site...so someone likes it..

I think ramping is the worst thing about most stock market forums... and I've never seen a ramp that wasn't motivated by the prospect of personal financial gain. In my opinion the worst thing about ramping is that so many people are perfectly willing to mislead others or even disseminate false or incorrect information in the hope of talking up the price of a stock and making money. That's the main reason we will continue to fight ramping and ban incurable rampers from this website. I would much rather see ASF focus on encouraging accurate information and thoughtful analysis to be posted. I think that is far more useful to people than a dodgy sales pitch.

forums by their nature encourage, even demand people offer their opinion.

ie; "manly are the best side in the nrl. just refereeing decisions have left them on the botton of the ladder. it must be the referees as they were grand finalists last year and they havent lost any players. manly will win this week by 50 points..."

am i ramping manly? offering an opinion? am i in danger of moderation? what if it were centro i was talking about...?

"centro were a great company. they were $10 per share. the last ceo made some bad decisions and the share price went to 25c. now there is a new ceo, he will do a great job, refinance, and the share price will be $10 again by xmas!!! easy!."

am i ramping centro? offering an opinion? am i in danger of moderation?

at HC the rampers get called out by members. but opinions are listened to and debated. by being exposed to rampers etc, makes one more aware of the dangers, and figuratively builds your resistance to them.

im not advocating ramping. understand, people like to let their hair down a bit in discussions, be themselves, debate, relax. if a forum is too anal, it will turn many away.

just my 2c extra....:)

im not advocating ramping. understand, people like to let their hair down a bit in discussions, be themselves, debate, relax. if a forum is too anal, it will turn many away.
I agree that forums necessitate people giving their opinion - but opinions alone don't add any value at all. Supported opinions, however, add to the body of knowledge of the group.

My personal feelings are there are plenty of other forums people can post at if they what to scream that "XYZ is going to the moon". ASF caters to a different group of traders/investors/dreamers.

a sophisticated investor (or small group of) with vested interests, could ramp a stock on any site and get a possitive outcome for himself (or a group), regardless of rules againt 'obvious' ramps.

forums by their nature encourage, even demand people offer their opinion.

ie; "manly are the best side in the nrl. just refereeing decisions have left them on the botton of the ladder. it must be the referees as they were grand finalists last year and they havent lost any players. manly will win this week by 50 points..."

am i ramping manly? offering an opinion? am i in danger of moderation? what if it were centro i was talking about...?

"centro were a great company. they were $10 per share. the last ceo made some bad decisions and the share price went to 25c. now there is a new ceo, he will do a great job, refinance, and the share price will be $10 again by xmas!!! easy!."

am i ramping centro? offering an opinion? am i in danger of moderation?

at HC the rampers get called out by members. but opinions are listened to and debated. by being exposed to rampers etc, makes one more aware of the dangers, and figuratively builds your resistance to them.

just my 2c extra....:)

Simply saying a stock will be $10 by Christmas with nothing else to support your view is a ramp. You might as well say it will be $100, it has just as much validity if you are refusing to provide any details. The hard part is presenting a detailed case for HOW the share price will make its way back to $10... and that is what we insist people do. Any idiot can post a price target, but it takes a little more effort (and thought) to present a detailed case to justify that price target. Providing details gives others something to respond to and debate. Just saying a stock will be $10 by Christmas without providing any details is a waste of a post and adds no value to the thread.

It's true, some people don't like that we are tough on ramping, and some people think the fact that we are is the best thing about ASF. Different forums attract different groups of people. It's always been my policy to encourage people who contribute valuable content and chase away those who ramp, spam or cause trouble.

Besides, if all stock forums were the same, how does that benefit the general public? I think it's good that some forums insist on higher standards of posting and appeal to different types of people. I've never wanted ASF to appeal to the lowest common denominator because that's not the kind of forum I want to run. I want a forum with a constructive atmosphere that focusses on quality. I know there's a market for that. The thousands of people that visit ASF every day is a testament to it.

Can we merge this thread with the one on "New website design"

I'm getting dizzy.

Nearly as dizzy as when I'm clicking on those bloody thumbnails to view the charts.

Sorry for the whinge Joe, you did ask for feedback, otherwise I've no problems.

Charts are charts, big bloody things that fold out, thats why they don't work well on mobiles or handhelds. They need to be seen in sequence, on the one page.

Best site there is Joe, so don't get disheartened.

gg