Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Please feel free to make suggestions!

ob1kenobi said:
It's going well Joe! Your efforts are really appreciated! Keep up the good work! :bier:

Thanks for your kind words ob1kenobi! I'm glad you enjoy the site. Feel free to suggest anything at any time.

I'll join you in that drink too... we're just about to crack the 20,000 post mark!

Cheers! :bier:

I wander Joe if it doesn't make you courious how Nick Radge makes it possible to see first few pages and last few pages of the thread on his Reefcap site?

Attachments

• Nick Pages.png
    Nick Pages.png
    2 KB · Views: 315
Happy said:
I wander Joe if it doesn't make you courious how Nick Radge makes it possible to see first few pages and last few pages of the thread on his Reefcap site?

Happy I'm am investigating this to see whether it is possible. Will let you know.

Joe Blow said:
Just thought I'd bump this thread in case anyone had any more suggestions.

I'm always looking for feedback on how to make ASF more enjoyable for everyone, so please feel free to post any suggestions you may have in this thread..

All feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Joe,

Is it possible when doing a search to only return the messages that contain the search term, not the whole thread as it is currently. Annoying on some searches to have to scroll through pages of posts to find what i'm looking for.

Great job btw, love this forum.

doritos123 said:
Hi Joe,

Is it possible when doing a search to only return the messages that contain the search term, not the whole thread as it is currently. Annoying on some searches to have to scroll through pages of posts to find what i'm looking for.

Great job btw, love this forum.

Hi Doritos... apparently this is a new feature in the new version of this forum software which gets released in the next few weeks or so. I hope to have it installed here within the next couple of months.

Glad to hear you enjoy the forums. :)

Happy: Apparently this is not possible without code modification. Am looking into how feasible this is.

Joe,
1)I'd like to be able to start a new thread from the home page, and I'd like the views on the front page to be smaller, so we could see more start titles - or subject headings.
2)Also, instead of the thread name coming up, it might be handy to see a subject heading as each poster changes the title heading to reflect what they are saying. e.g. a direct answer to another poster who has asked a question, we might change the subject heading to: (e.g.) Rich Kid - instead of just e.g. "Please feel free to make suggestions" (title above!)
This might make a few people not worry to read it, if it's just answering someone's query.
Am I waffling, or do you get my drift?
Cheers

canny said:
Joe,
1)I'd like to be able to start a new thread from the home page, and I'd like the views on the front page to be smaller, so we could see more start titles - or subject headings.
2)Also, instead of the thread name coming up, it might be handy to see a subject heading as each poster changes the title heading to reflect what they are saying. e.g. a direct answer to another poster who has asked a question, we might change the subject heading to: (e.g.) Rich Kid - instead of just e.g. "Please feel free to make suggestions" (title above!)
This might make a few people not worry to read it, if it's just answering someone's query.
Am I waffling, or do you get my drift?
Cheers

Canny

I've sometimes considered something like the above being preferable too, but on reflection I'm happy with the way it works at present. Also, given the way a number of threads veer off course (I'm not complaining about this, it usually adds interest) I think it's probably best to retain the original heading because hopefully sooner or later most posters will revert to the original topic.

I understand exactly what you are thinking, but I'm just not sure it would actually work very well.

Cheers

Julia

Id suggest the use of stickies, particularly in the beginners forum. There are questions you see get asked regularly in there that could be stickied.

I really enjoy reading and participating on this forum. out of all the forums i read, this is the one i am most active in. Out of all the forums ive ever used, ASF has the best community feel about it, and the undisirables are few and far between (i havent been flamed yet after 50 posts).

How about this idea.On the CHAT button an indication someone is in the chat room.Like a different colour when someone is in the chat room, maybe the letters CHAT red / green or flashing.

Reason being, others would go there if they could see someone was in .Also to avoid loading the CHAT room platform to see no one is in.

Thanks for a top forum all the same J.B.
cool-smiley-030.gif

G'day Joe

I have a suggestion - would it be possible to change the "New Posts" option so that it showed the next 25 post after the front page 18.

i.e. front page shows last 18 posts (1 to 18)

Cheers

Dutchie

G'day Joe

I have a suggestion - would it be possible to change the "New Posts" option so that it showed the next 25 post after the front page 18.

i.e. front page shows last 18 posts (1 to 18)

Cheers

Dutchie

Hi Dutchie,

Try going to the 'Quick Links' drop down menu in the navigation bar and selecting 'Today's Posts'.

quicklinks.gif

This will give you the last 24 hours worth of threads that have had posts added.

Hope that helps! :)

I have a suggestion

I assume theres a few members here familiar with whirlpool net/tech/tel/PC etc forum.
1 of the great things about WP is the company reps that post in relevant threads...everything
from shopping and tech probs to phone deals.

It would be great if some company reps could be persuaded to post here and address
issues/problems...u know, give XYZ's official side of the story...comment on ann's etc.

I think it would be legal (im not a lawyer)...the reps would have to be careful
of course, and the mods on there toes.

This would have to have some positives for companys...as its like Positive free PR.

Is it possible to have a "mark all posts read" feature?? (if it doesn't already exist.. :confused: )
Currently I have to log out and back in to achieve this when the posts I don't read build up...
Thanks
.........Kauri

The search facility I feel would be better if it would respond to part key words. So many good topics become lost as a result and I believe less threads (often superfluous) would commence.

There is also some very educational (investment wise) threads that if read, and perhaps directed to newcomers based on their stated interest could also help.

As well some very savvy contributor/mentors and perhaps the more expirenced could be identified in some way so that we could be directed to them by subject/expertise somehow.

Off the top of my head I look to Uncle Festivus, Ithertheckret, Kauri, Wavepicker and there must be many others on topics that I do not look at..

Is it possible to have a "mark all posts read" feature?? (if it doesn't already exist.. :confused: )

It's in 'Quick Links' in the navigation bar.

quicklinks.gif

The search facility I feel would be better if it would respond to part key words. So many good topics become lost as a result and I believe less threads (often superfluous) would commence.

I think the main problem with the search feature is most people don't know how to use it effectively. In my experience most people just go straight for the main drop down search box without realising that it is a very ineffective way to search the forums. There are many, many ways to target and refine your searches by using the Advanced Search. I have even started a thread on it and will continue to add searching hints and tips as I come across them.

You can read the thread here: https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8380

Not sure if this has already been covered....

It seems a lot of members complain about spelling here and I was just wondering why there cant be an automatic spell checker attached to new/reply posts???

Cheers

Not sure if this has already been covered....

It seems a lot of members complain about spelling here and I was just wondering why there cant be an automatic spell checker attached to new/reply posts???

Cheers

Sam, this is definitely on the agenda and will happen when I find a spell checking solution I am happy with. Hopefully that wont be too far away.

In the meantime you can always use Firefox, which has a built in spell checker. It's a better browser than I.E. anyway.