Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Missed opportunities

Reactions
This thread could have a lot of entrants, but I'll start with this one.

Hemp.

It's catching on all around the world as a "superfood" and natural fibre, but the opportunities in Australia seem to be shrinking.

This thread could have a lot of entrants, but I'll start with this one.

Hemp.

It's catching on all around the world as a "superfood" and natural fibre, but the opportunities in Australia seem to be shrinking.

Sir R Delving into the distant and dark crevices of m nearly defunct brain, I seem to recall that hemp used to be grown here, and then became a non-gown product.
I may be wrong and possibly am, but there is tiny bell tinkling in there about it.

Most of my missed opportunities were when I was 17-18. "If only I knew then what I know now" ;)

Most of my missed opportunities were when I was 17-18. "If only I knew then what I know now" ;)
But seriously, I wanted to buy property when I was 17-18, then again in the late 90s. (outside of ppor) Late 90s especially was a no-brainer.

In both cases my dad talked me out of it at that point. Shoulda had bigger cajones.

Biggest lost opportunity, I **begged my parents to buy CBA shares at IPO with ears pinned back. They had buckets of cash (a really good business), but not the nouse, and a feckin stupid accountant who kept putting them into term deposits.

But seriously, I wanted to buy property when I was 17-18, then again in the late 90s. (outside of ppor) Late 90s especially was a no-brainer.

In both cases my dad talked me out of it at that point. Shoulda had bigger cajones.

Biggest lost opportunity, I **begged my parents to buy CBA shares at IPO with ears pinned back. They had buckets of cash (a really good business), but not the nouse, and a feckin stupid accountant who kept putting them into term deposits.
Similar story here, the FIL died and a couple of years later the MIL won a couple of hundred thou on lotto, I suggested she buy 10,000 CBA at $10, rather than put the money in term deposit at CBA.
Long story short, she still has $100k in term deposit, but it wont buy many CBA. :rolleyes:
But she's 91 and happily living independently with her cat, so all's well that ends well.;)

Same here, I went to buy 2 acres with a fibro house for 300k in the 90s, and now that block is worth well over 3 mil and the fibro house is still standing in good shape.

Same here, I went to buy 2 acres with a fibro house for 300k in the 90s, and now that block is worth well over 3 mil and the fibro house is still standing in good shape.
We all have those stories Lol.
When I moved to Perth due to a family medical issue in 1985, I wanted to buy a war service home on a 1200sqm block across the Swan river from the CBD, unristrected view on the edge of the river reserve.
It was $85k, the bank would only fund $65k, now the place has a 5 storey McMansion on it.
I had to buy 10km out in the mortgage belt.

Screenshot_20240311-185801.png

To me Bitcoin and its ilk leaves me wondering. How can something with no tangible value be worth so much. I don't understand it and have no desire to do so.
Good luck and fortune to anyone who takes it on.
1/ Distrust of fiat

2/ Tulips

I guess that someone has made a truck load of moolah with a percentage rise like that.
Now if this was in the Monthly comp it would be a winner hands down.
happy to miss it earlier

Solana's total market cap was US$55 billion in January 2022. However, by the end of 2022, this had fallen to around $3 billion following the bankruptcy of FTX. Following the general rise of the cryptocurrency market in 2023, its market cap rose to $7 billion