Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

John McCain

Whathe! What a surprise! :confused:

John McCain will attend presidential debate

The Republican candidate says progress has been made on a measure to solve the financial crisis, allowing him to take part in the Mississippi face-off with Barack Obama.
Gee I hope they show it here in Blighty. That would be worth staying up to see.

In these difficult financial times, and with the war in Afghanistan set to intensify, the world needs a strong experienced steady hand to take over from President Bush.
John McCain is that person.

In these difficult financial times, and with the war in Afghanistan set to intensify, the world needs a strong experienced steady hand to take over from President Bush.

The US needs a President that can engage the Russians without threatening (and/or actually) shooting Nukes at each other. The US needs a president that can repair the nation's image overseas, to build bridges with its "friends". It needs someone that can restore the people's confidence in its own government and reverse the polarization of American society.

McCain is definitely not that person.

I don't know whether Obama is either, but a better shot at it IMO.

Also, just like Oz, the conervatives need a break to be able to cleanse to dross from its ranks. They'll be better for it.

The US needs a President that can engage the Russians without threatening (and/or actually) shooting Nukes at each other. The US needs a president that can repair the nation's image overseas, to build bridges with its "friends". It needs someone that can restore the people's confidence in its own government and reverse the polarization of American society.

McCain is definitely not that person.

I don't know whether Obama is either, but a better shot at it IMO.

Also, just like Oz, the conervatives need a break to be able to cleanse to dross from its ranks. They'll be better for it.
McCain's behaviour over the last couple of days has demonstrated how erratic he is.
There was an interesting discussion on Radio National this morning with a Harvard Prof. who was rueing McCain's lack of economic credentials, particularly in light of the fact that his favoured adviser has suggested there is nothing much wrong with the financial system and the banks are just whining!

Maybe Obama is no more qualified, but he does seem to take a more measured and thoughtful approach.

McCain's behaviour over the last couple of days has demonstrated how erratic he is.
There was an interesting discussion on Radio National this morning with a Harvard Prof. who was rueing McCain's lack of economic credentials, particularly in light of the fact that his favoured adviser has suggested there is nothing much wrong with the financial system and the banks are just whining!

Maybe Obama is no more qualified, but he does seem to take a more measured and thoughtful approach.
Is America, and the world, accepting the lessor of two weavels then?

Whichever way it goes......

Troubling.....

:(

McCain has won this debate hands down. Much more knowledge and substance in his remarks. I almost feel sorry for Obama.

I said ALMOST.

Way to go McCain.

By the way, John Zogby, one of the most experienced pollsters in the U.S.A., and a registered Democrat, said today that he expects the race to remain tight until one week before election day, and then break to a landslide for McCain - just like the Carter/Reagan election of 1980. People just have too much of an uneasy feeling for Obama from his polling, and they will break for the steady old shoe instead of the new unknown kid on the block. FWIW

McCain has won this debate hands down. Much more knowledge and substance in his remarks. I almost feel sorry for Obama.

I said ALMOST.

Way to go McCain.

By the way, John Zogby, one of the most experienced pollsters in the U.S.A., and a registered Democrat, said today that he expects the race to remain tight until one week before election day, and then break to a landslide for McCain - just like the Carter/Reagan election of 1980. People just have too much of an uneasy feeling for Obama from his polling, and they will break for the steady old shoe instead of the new unknown kid on the block. FWIW

I missed the debate. John McCain won , did he?

gg

Debate Tonight: Obama-McCain Video, Highlights

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/26/first-obama-mccain-presid_n_129569.html

Scroll down to: 9:52 for video proof of this claim:

Jed Lewison: John McCain lied right out of the gate during tonight's debate, claiming that he had warned us about the financial crisis that we are now facing. But in November, 2007 he admitted that he hadn't seen the mortgage crisis -- the root of today's financial crisis -- coming.

How can McCain tell such blatant lies? :confused:

Afghanistan is not the issue Russia's rise is a much bigger deal a vote for McCain is a vote for president Palin who is not a experienced steady hand

I said ALMOST.

Way to go McCain.

QUITE RIGHT!
In fact, a recent poll, still ongoing, shows John McCain well out in the lead.

John McCain - 63%

Barack Obama - 37%

Http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/09/25ad-straw-poll-sept-25-oct-2
Click-on "straw poll" tab

Plenty to read and watch at this link. Looks a fair and even debate, at least on this link anyway.

John McCain won on style and rhetoric, but lost on substance and truth.

He makes a great statesman, but still frightens me as president. Chuck in the MILF disaster and I'm still hoping the US goes for Obama...

...hang on! That worries me as well. :eek:

Lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned, maybe.

Anyone know where I can pick up a second hand spaceship?

John McCain won on style and rhetoric, but lost on substance and truth.

He makes a great statesman, but still frightens me as president. Chuck in the MILF disaster and I'm still hoping the US goes for Obama...

...hang on! That worries me as well. :eek:

Lesser of two evils as far as I'm concerned, maybe.

Anyone know where I can pick up a second hand spaceship?

I can't see anything that frightens me about Barack Obama or John McCain, both appear head screwed on people, as far as the war situation is concerned. There are always differing thoughts over Iran as to whether John McCain would be more likely to strike at Iran than Barack Obama, you pay your money and make your choice. Their views are similar on Afghanistan and troops are being redeployed from Iraq anyway.

On the economy, I'm unsure where all the money is going to come from for O'bama's welfare plans. Will he achieve them as American growth falters.
The other side of the coin is that McCain isn't likely to spend more on welfare. Again, you pay your money and make your choice.

You gotta laugh...

NEW YORK ”” "Late Show" host David Letterman kept up a verbal assault on John McCain Thursday, saying he felt like an "ugly date" because the GOP presidential candidate backed out of a scheduled appearance on his talk show.

The comic was unhappy when McCain sat for an interview with Katie Couric instead of him Wednesday _ and even more perturbed to learn that McCain didn't leave New York until Thursday.

He said he felt like a "patriot" to let McCain off his commitment to deal with the economy and "now I'm feeling like an ugly date."

"That's what I feel like, I feel like an ugly date," he said. "I feel used. I feel cheap. I feel sullied."

Watch clip.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/25/letterman-attacks-mccain_n_129467.html

Watch clips of late night show jokes of the week:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/27/late-night-jokes-of-the-w_n_129735.html

Really... be honest.
Do we need a world leader (until China takes over this role) who is so insulting and erratic
- potentially turning the US into a banana republic to satisfy his pleasure in war games?

Time and again, Mr McCain hammered his rival for his lack of experience. "That is a little naive, come on," he sneered at Mr Obama's reiterated readiness to meet hostile foreign leaders such as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran (whose name, unfortunately, the 72-year-old Arizona Senator had difficulty in pronouncing). On every question he produced a variant on his mantra. "Senator Obama doesn't understand", he would say, then "Senator Obama doesn't get it", before uttering with a despairing roll of the eyes that "Senator Obama still doesn't understand."

In fact, his opponent gave pretty much as good as he got. Almost inevitably, the fiercest argument was over Iraq, with the Republican mocking his opponent for his doubts about the troop surge that has brought a measure of stability to the country. In reply, Mr Obama reminded him that he had opposed the war from the outset. "John, you like to pretend the war started in 2007," he hit back at one point. "The war started in 2003."

Throughout, Mr Obama was professorial and unflustered, displaying the hallmark cool which sometimes so irritates his critics. "The key question was whether Obama would get over the bar as a president and commander-in-chief," Norman Ornstein, a veteran political expert at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington, said afterwards. "That is the key to this election. And I believe he cleared the bar pretty easily."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mccain-vs-obama-all-square-944773.html

Another huffington article ..

some quick comments
a) McCain came round to attending the debate - shown up to be erratic
b) He might like to argue the difference between "tactic" and "strategy" - the point is though that he still has to learn the word "ideology"..
c) His team posted that he had won the debate (about) 6 or 12 hours before the actual debate took place, lol. In fact ( wait for it lol) before he announced he would even attend.
d) "Straight talk express" :confused: :eek3::eek::eek3: Question is , could he lie straight in bed?.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/26/ex-adviser-mccain-blinked_n_129611.html

After days of saying that John McCain would not attend Friday's presidential debate unless an agreement on a bailout package for the markets was "locked-down," the McCain campaign has gone back on its word.

On Friday, it announced that the Senator would head down to Mississippi even though, as they readily admit, much work remained needed on the bailout agreement.

The whole episode left even conservatives admitting that the McCain campaign looked erratic and a bit foolish with no apparent direction or guiding principle.

"It just proves his campaign is governed by tactics and not ideology," said Republican consultant Craig Shirley, who advised McCain earlier in this cycle. "In the end, he blinked and Obama did not. The 'steady hand in a storm' argument looks now to more favor Obama, not McCain."

Adding to the rocky perception was a McCain campaign web ad released this morning declaring "McCain Wins Debate!" -- put out even before the candidate had announced he was planning to debate.

comment from a poster
Wow. If McCain keeps this up, he'll eventually be run over by his own "Straight Talk Express" bus. Unbelievable if it were not typical McCain style.

Attachments

• mccain wins poster.jpg
    mccain wins poster.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 101
Some fun and seriousness on Boston Legal tonight re the presidential election:

Alan Shore: What about John McCain?

Denny Crane: He's Patience Zero!

He can't remember anyone's name so he calls everyone 'my friend'.

... he shows his laptop video with McCain saying this over and over again. (He does too!)

Who do you want for president?

Alan Shore: Someone who could establish some dignity to the office - that would make a good start.

Our culture has become a dumb, fat, bubblegum nation... superficial.

Your generation made America what it is today. It's time for it to be inherited by your children.
I think you need to hand over the key to the car to their leader.

I think it's time.

I so miss a little dignity in America.

PS. Only David E Kelly could argue the story line to legalize prostitution to 'help the troops'! (taxes on it)

Well McCain heading down to Washington to help with the bailout negotiations really demonstrated his leadership ability didn't it. Zero. The republicans fell apart and voted against it. Is he going to go back and help some more? Maybe Palin could go along and help them too - its all about healthcare reform ... and er ... jobs and stuff.