Votes: 35 6.0%
  • God's existance is equally probable and improbable

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • I dont think the existance of god is probable

Votes: 112 19.1%
  • I know there is no GOD we are a random quirk of nature

Votes: 167 28.5%

• Total voters
Does the church approve of a life dedicated to trading? is it immoral? honest? evil?

If i put maybe 10% of profits in the collection tray.. would that save my soul?

If god created us in his own image.. why are we so flawed in design? :eek:

Synthetic life 'advance' reported

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7203186.stm

It would seem that we are not too far away from creating new life in the lab.
The argument for 'science cannot explain life' ..... therfore there must be a GOD will need some tweaking now, although this advance will lend itself nicely to the ID argument . . . . back on the merry-go-round.

good point...we can not prove physically that God exist but we know that God is there..believing is seeing..

Having watched people die in front of my eyes, there's always that strange moment of aura when the person gasps his last breath. I have always wonder in that final moment of salvation does the person accept his religion and his creator. On a similar vein to think of all the stars in our universe is greater than all grains of sand on earth is a shattering thought as to why are we so special.
Philosophy is not my strength, but we all have to serve somebody. Everybody lives on HOPE.

You must be in healthcare also - the first time you see someone have their last breath is truly horrendous isn't it? Then it just makes you think a lot more about life and death. I hope I never grow numb to it. Holding the hand of someone who should have more than 25 years left to live as they say "I don't want to die" - and then.... lifelessness, now that's reason to believe life is worth living to the fullest.

Absolutely as has been said in this thread quite a few times, nobody can prove whether God exists or not.

I'm not ready to risk that God doesn't exist. :cautious:

Absolutely as has been said in this thread quite a few times, nobody can prove whether God exists or not.

I'm not ready to risk that God doesn't exist. :cautious:

and that is a fair call ....... i respect that post even tho i have no godly tendencies , at least ya didnt shove the ole god is real crud down my throat , thankyou

You must be in healthcare also - the first time you see someone have their last breath is truly horrendous isn't it? Then it just makes you think a lot more about life and death.
repost ...
I have seen the eyes of dying men, their eyes filled with confusion. I do not think they were asking why they are dying, but why they had ever lived... - who knows where madness lies - perhaps to surrender dreams - maybe too much sanity is madness - but maddest of all - to see life as it is, and not as it should be."
.. Don Quixote de la Mancha, Knight of the Woeful Countenance,
just before he charges the windmill with his shaving basin over his head.

If god created us in his own image.. why are we so flawed in design? :eek:

Could you be more specific about the flaws in design please?I think mind is faulty in processing information, imagination, memory, observation et cetera.
Am interested to see if the flaws can be defined.

If we observe all other nature it operates on a simple survival process.The strong, fast, camouflaged, cunning, largest and other abilities survive.

Could you be more specific about the flaws in design please?I think mind is faulty in processing information, imagination, memory, observation et cetera.
Am interested to see if the flaws can be defined.

If we observe all other nature it operates on a simple survival process.The strong, fast, camouflaged, cunning, largest and other abilities survive.

Turn the tv on if you want to see a flawed race, death, hate and the Olympics .... and please dont tell me its all just a "test"

I can only think of one species that destroys its habitat rapes the land of it resources, the locust.

Even the physical...

we have hair growing on our chest... why??
Why do we sleep?

I believe in the Darwin theory to some degree, but this theory doesnt explain everything ... in my view there is room for some sort of higher power.. but i dont think its some white dude that needs a bath and shave :eek:

BUT .. my book of thoughts is never closed and i do not mind being proven wrong

[/LIST]

I think the closer truth is Man created GOD in his own image.
Yes, God with a capital g, is in our image, but that's a relatively modern idea. The pagan gods, from where Yahweh came, were a motley crew, each having various attributes. The oldest of the gods, Apsu and Tiamat - who made all the other gods, were the fresh and salt water. From these Sumarian gods the Babylonian and Assyrian gods developed and eventually developed into the Greek and Roman gods, and we know they are sort of half human and animal. Then check the Egyptian gods. Yahweh became the god of Abraham, over all the other tribes chosen gods in Canaan/Mesopotamia, for unknown reasons, but at the time he was just the god of the sky. Once Abraham made his covernant with Yahweh to honour him and foresake all the other gods, Yahweh then started to develop attributes of all the other gods. One very important aspect that Yahweh took on was the god of war. He became an extremely powerful being and would assist Abraham and later Moses to destroy all in their path. Even still, at this time, the world was pagan, but as the tribes of Israel became more powerful due to the assistance of Yahweh, He (now with a capital H) took on all the other functions of all the others gods. He became the one God! If the Iraelites, coming out of Egypt had have failed in taking Canaan after their 40 years in the Sinai, God knows what we would be worshipping now. Maybe Apollo....

So, God exists, but as a myth originally created by the Sumarians in about the 13th century BC.

Rant over.

Question:
should I tell my kids there is no dude dressed in red and white who breaks into familes houses to give them presents?

lying to kids from birth .. isnt that were the rot starts?

Yes, God with a capital g, is in our image, but that's a relatively modern idea. The pagan gods, from where Yahweh came, were a motley crew, each having various attributes. The oldest of the gods, Apsu and Tiamat - who made all the other gods, were the fresh and salt water. From these Sumarian gods the Babylonian and Assyrian gods developed and eventually developed into the Greek and Roman gods, and we know they are sort of half human and animal. Then check the Egyptian gods. Yahweh became the god of Abraham, over all the other tribes chosen gods in Canaan/Mesopotamia, for unknown reasons, but at the time he was just the god of the sky. Once Abraham made his covernant with Yahweh to honour him and foresake all the other gods, Yahweh then started to develop attributes of all the other gods. One very important aspect that Yahweh took on was the god of war. He became an extremely powerful being and would assist Abraham and later Moses to destroy all in their path. Even still, at this time, the world was pagan, but as the tribes of Israel became more powerful due to the assistance of Yahweh, He (now with a capital H) took on all the other functions of all the others gods. He became the one God! If the Iraelites, coming out of Egypt had have failed in taking Canaan after their 40 years in the Sinai, God knows what we would be worshipping now. Maybe Apollo....

So, God exists, but as a myth originally created by the Sumarians in about the 13th century BC.

Rant over.

I often wonder if all these gods are kinda todays versions of our "super heroes"
Maybe .... someone found an old old version of a comic.. and thought it was real .. then comes a legend

Actully Kennas I would really like to research more about Pegan gods.. where would one start tho?

As the priest playing a round of golf in the movie "caddyshack" said-
There is no god.
He should watch Hawthorn & see the new messiah- Buddy

Well this thread has been resurrected from the dead, surely that is proof of God. :p:

Question:
There is no dude dressed in red and white who breaks into familes houses to give them presents?

Gettt---Outtt!!!

Kennas Yes I agree Many gods suffered the same fate,Damned if you do damned if you dont!

So I'll alter my observation to.

I think the closer truth is Man created GOD/S in his own imagination!

As the priest playing a round of golf in the movie "caddyshack" said-
There is no god.
He should watch Hawthorn & see the new messiah- Buddy

I thought god was a balding dude who played for the cats ...

"buddys not the Messiah, his just a very naughty boy"

Actully Kennas I would really like to research more about Pegan gods.. where would one start tho?
You can google it and find some good stuff.

The best single source is probably Wikipedia which you could surf around all day, and has some good external links.

Start with the 'Enuma Elis', and then 'Mesopotamian Mythology'.

It'll eventually take you through the entire history of God.

I've been writing a piece on 'The History of God' at the moment, and it's absolutely fascinating stuff! Be in my blog when I can make an adequate leap as to why Abraham takes Yahweh as his one supreme god. Has something to do with his uncle and the Levite tribe. The Levites liked Yahweh for some reason. And coincidently, Moses is a decendant of the Levites...