Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Inflation

Does wonders for those with OCD. It must be level; not 1 degree off. It must be X mm from wall, Y mm from other paintings and Z mm from ceiling. Hours of fun to be had.
WOWEE , i must have missed that disorder

have a fairly cheap taste in art as well , must be signed , genuine , something i would hang on a wall at home ... and CHEAP ( have never paid more than $10 for a piece of art in my life )

Anybody want to have a guess at the next round of insurance offers in parts of FNQ, Sunshine Cost, Victoria, etc.

Not good. The possibility of an inflation in home insurance premiums has likely increased.

“As at 10am today, in the last 24 hours we’ve received over 920 requests for assistance, including 503 for flood, 210 trees down, 118 counts of building damage,” VICSES said in a statement."

I do feel for the poor buggers. There'd be nothing you could do to stop it. The volume of water would overwhelm any preparations I think.

The average wage in Spain is still only about half of that in Australia, so they need a few more years of growth before the can match Australia.
How do living costs compare?

Information I can find on housing suggests Australia is substantially more expensive for housing in particular so that needs to be considered in comparing the two. Lower income isn't a problem if costs are also low. :2twocents

What a surprise - not.

I last looked at the numbers around five years ago and at that stage it was estimated $4B had been ripped out of the health system due to the Medicare rebate freeze. A freeze which both sides of politics applied to their shame.

Information I can find on housing suggests Australia is substantially more expensive for housing in particular so that needs to be considered in comparing the two. Lower income isn't a problem if costs are also low. :2twocents
cost of living is 35% higher in Australia, but Australians earn 100% more than Spaniards. Also Spain has 13% unemployment, and a higher inflation rate.

but Spain does score well on health and environment factors.
IMG_0183.jpeg

Not good. The possibility of an inflation in home insurance premiums has likely increased.

“As at 10am today, in the last 24 hours we’ve received over 920 requests for assistance, including 503 for flood, 210 trees down, 118 counts of building damage,” VICSES said in a statement."

I do feel for the poor buggers. There'd be nothing you could do to stop it. The volume of water would overwhelm any preparations I think.
Received our insurance premiums renewal today. Gone up by about $1100 from last year.

Absolutely, don't let facts get in the way of a good story, selling finite resources as a plan, is in itself finite.
Funny how Spain has twice the population as Australia and a worse lifestyle, kind of supports what a lot of posters are talking about. :rolleyes:

How is the economy of Spain compared to Australia?

Comparison In 2021, Spain ranked 35 in the Economic Complexity Index (ECI 0.78), and 16 in total exports ($372B).
That same year, Australia ranked 82 in the Economic Complexity Index (ECI -0.41), and 20 in total exports ($343B).

AustraliaSpain
Population:26,006,00047,778,000

cost of living is 35% higher in Australia
Not arguing for the sake of it, but the next question is the means of calculation.

Some "strange" things seem to enter the minds of economists there.

Eg home ownership is the norm so it's the price of houses, not rent, that ought be in the calculation. etc that's just a random example. :2twocents

Absolutely, don't let facts get in the way of a good story, selling finite resources as a plan, is itself finite.
Funny how Spain has twice the population as Australia and a worse lifestyle, kind of supports what a lot of posters are talking about. :rolleyes:

Comparison In 2021, Spain ranked 35 in the Economic Complexity Index (ECI 0.78), and 16 in total exports ($372B).
That same year, Australia ranked 82 in the Economic Complexity Index (ECI -0.41), and 20 in total exports ($343B).
AustraliaSpain
I
Absolutely, don't let facts get in the way of a good story, selling finite resources as a plan, is in itself finite.

AustraliaSpain
spain is about a million times smaller than Australia too, so naturally has less resources to exploit

spain is about a million times smaller than Australia too, so naturally has less resources to exploit
Similar income from exports ($372B Vs $343B), twice the population(47m Vs 26m), half the personal income($32k Vs $60k) (2+2=). :rolleyes:

I'm struggling to understand your reasoning, it is usually sound, we are generally discussing the effect of increased population on personal income.

Last edited:
Similar income from exports, twice the population, half the personal income (2+2=). :rolleyes:

I'm struggling to understand your reasoning, it is usually sound.
Its exports are largely manufactured, for example its largest exports is cars, but it imports steel to make them, some of it from China made with Australian iron ore.

its second largest export is refined petroleum, but its largest import is crude oil.

Can they raise their wages without cannibalism of their exports?

—————-

but my main point was that you referred to them have double the population but half the income.

i was just pointing out that yes they have double the population, but they also have a much smaller country from which that population can exploit to make a living, eg less room for farming, mining etc etc.

Australia is huge, it can be expected that if we utilised our land well we can support an economy and population much larger than Spain before the benefits of additional people disappear.

but my main point was that you referred to them have double the population but half the income.

i was just pointing out that yes they have double the population, but they also have a much smaller country from which that population can exploit to make a living, eg less room for farming, mining etc etc.

Australia is huge, it can be expected that if we utilised our land well we can support an economy and population much larger than Spain before the benefits of additional people disappear.
Australia is huge, but 90% of the population live in and want to live in a very small part of it and this is very much supported by our Governments.
Which takes us back to the housing and immigration problem.

Australia is huge, but 90% of the population live in and want to live in a very small part of it and this is very much supported by our Governments.
Which takes us back to the housing and immigration problem.
Yep, hopefully over time that changes, and more capital and people flow out and develop more regional areas.

Painful for the back pocket. Thing is if you never need it, you could consider it "wasted money" but if you do it's "Thank goodness I paid it."
I think that’s why it’s best to self insure as many risks as you can afford and only insure the big stuff that would wipe you out.

also raising excesses and lowering the sum insured accepting some co insurance is a great way to add in some self insurance.

And in the Australia vs Spain saga
If only it was just Spain:

Simple: immigration numbers are enough to trigger this catastrophe, but keep going, I still have to sell the farm....

And in the Australia vs Spain saga
If only it was just Spain:

Simple: immigration numbers are enough to trigger this catastrophe, but keep going, I still have to sell the farm....
Hahaha, you didn’t just quote “Macro Business” did you. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Macro Business has to be the least credible business news site on the internet, they are laughable.

act on their opinion at your peril.