Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

FWIW i am only in this for a 4-5 weeks style swing trade . All systematicaly driven .

I " invest " my time looking for high probability swing trades for SMSF . Mind you getting into some investments at x period lows has merit if you truly have faith in the company . I have little faith in most of them but i do look at balance sheet metrics so i dont buy " Green Mile " things
Can we shake hands, Chipp? But I am certain I have less faith than you; I'm very short sighted.

I see where you are coming from; l'm procrastinating because I don't want my head on the block when I'm not in it...watching because I thought there might be something in it that I can traded. It opened at 22.35, but not made it to that so far. Can't watch tomorrow to gauge (will be on the road) Hate getting run over when I'm not watching...at the very least, investors and traders are showing interest, so that's a big plus.
Not much shorting action to my surprise, iron ore prices have dropped a bit, but are steady. I guess a few analysts have put the stock on sell due to China's economy pulling back and the block trade of 1.1 Bil has definitely held the price down today. It's a 70 Bil market Cap company so it's highly unlikely of a takeover at this stage. Maybe there are a few large institutions that don't like the green movement in the company, but if someone is willing to risk 1.1 bil makes me wonder what they know that we don't?

Not much shorting action to my surprise, iron ore prices have dropped a bit, but are steady. I guess a few analysts have put the stock on sell due to China's economy pulling back and the block trade of 1.1 Bil has definitely held the price down today. It's a 70 Bil market Cap company so it's highly unlikely of a takeover at this stage. Maybe there are a few large institutions that don't like the green movement in the company, but if someone is willing to risk 1.1 bil makes me wonder what they know that we don't?
Price of iron ore was up today but the block sale kept a weight on FMG. Next few days will add more clarity. Huge volumes traded 70 plus million, wondering how much change hands after 4pm? Course of sales will tell a story too. Have a great night, good luck, everyone.

As at As at 18 Jun 2024 02:26 PM (Sing time) Our time, 4.26pm

( +3.06/2.90%)

Someone's or someones' are buying up.

1718693798180.png

1718693375507.png

1718693533611.png

1718694647714.png

Last edited:
Yesterday was the single largest volume as dollar value in FMG history , given that could have been handled better you have to wonder why such urgency

View attachment 178921
Yeah, don't know if it's Insto's playing games or something is about to happen with iron ore prices that we don't know about. I can't imagine MinRes spending all that money on a loading facility at Port Hedland if the IO price was about to tank though.

An interesting perspective on Hydrogen from an ex FMG xec.
Despite now being in a rival firm, the arguments he puts forward about green hydrogen production from excess enewable energy makes seems.
Perhaps it was a disagreement with Forrest and the board over the use of the energy was the driving reason for his departure.
From Evil Murdoch Press
The former Fortescue executive now being sued by the Andrew Forrest-led company amid allegations of intellectual property theft has taken aim at the hydrogen technology at the centre of his former employer’s “green steel” strategy.
Speaking publicly for the first time since Fortescue launched a Federal Court action against his company Element Zero, long-time Forrest lieutenant Michael Masterman revealed that key customers in Asia had directly questioned the merits of using hydrogen to make steel.

Appearing at an Australian British Chamber of Commerce conference in Perth on Monday, Mr Masterman said Element Zero’s technology would be far more energy efficient than rival green steel techniques that involved the use of hydrogen.

He described a meeting he had with the chairman and chief executive of a major Japanese steel producer when he was still involved in promoting Fortescue’s hydrogen ambitions.

“Halfway through the presentation, the chairman said ‘Masterman San, this hydrogen is fantastic, but it’s not going to help us one iota in terms of being able to reduce carbon emissions. What we need you to do is go back to Australia and work out how to combine the vast renewable energy resources you have up there in the Pilbara, with your supply chain for iron ore. Bring those together in Port Hedland or at the Rio Tinto ports, and convert that iron ore into green iron and be able to ship it to us’,” Mr Masterman said.

“The best place in the world to take the carbon emissions out of iron steel making is in northwestern Australia. So the industrial logic is there, the cost structures are there, and we believe in rapidly advancing technology to be able to scale up and really take emissions in this space … to zero in a way that just cannot be done with the other technologies.”

Element Zero’s technology, developed by Mr Masterman and former Fortescue chief scientist Bart Kolodziejczyk, involves removing many of the impurities in iron ore by running renewable electricity through a chemical solution.

Mr Masterman said such an approach would require less renewable energy than rival plans involving hydrogen DRI (direct reduced ironmaking), which require using renewable energy to produce hydrogen that is then used to process the iron ore.

“The reason why this technology is superior to, say, hydrogen DRI is that we don’t have a loss associated with making hydrogen in the first place,” he said.

“At the moment, hydrogen DRI takes green electrons, which as everybody has said is scarce, and loses 25 per cent when converting to hydrogen … Our technology uses the green electrons directly and it can use them on an intermittent basis.”

Mr Masterman had a long association with Fortescue and Dr Forrest, having previously worked as the chief financial officer of the company’s green energy arm Fortescue Future Industries and chairing Dr Forrest’s privately owned renewable energy group Squadron Energy.

Fortescue earlier this year won court orders authorising searches of Element Zero’s offices after accusing the former Fortescue employees at the company of taking its intellectual property with them when they quit. Element Zero has described the claims as “spurious” and “entirely without merit”.

Element Zero has been testing its technologies on iron ores from across Australia, and the company is now planning to build a plant in Port Hedland that will process five million tonnes a year of iron ore into 2.6 million tonnes of green iron. Mr Masterman says the technology is scalable so can be easily expanded over time.

The output, he said, would be “vastly superior” to that currently produced in blast furnaces around the world.

“The key to actually making this business chain or supply chain work is being able to harness the great amounts of iron ore produced out of Port Hedland with the vast renewable assets that are available and deployable in the Pilbara of Western Australia, through our manufacturing plants to produce high-quality green iron that can go to all the major steel mills of the world, and they can then save 70 per cent of their carbon emissions by taking our green iron,” he said.

Mick

I think it's all about trying to make green steel now, but iron ore prices still haven't bottomed out.

"China’s crude steel output decreased by 2.8% year on year to 1.035 billion tonnes in 2021 and by 1.64% year on year to 1.018 billion tonnes in 2022. In 2023, crude steel output was flat compared with 2022 volumes, according to data from the country’s National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

The government will continue to focus on energy saving and reducing carbon emissions during the crude steel output adjustment to align with the country’s decarbonization targets.

The notice also proposed the new idea by supporting high-quality steelmaking companies and further cracking down on inefficient and illegal steelmaking capacities to adjust the annual crude steel output.

A few market sources said the NDRC announced detailed investigation of steelmaking facilities across the country, which might help create specific measures to cut production by shutting down specific facilities.

Shortly before the official notice, China’s Iron and Steel Association called on steel mills to reduce steel production to build a healthy fundamental supply and demand structure on March 28, due to repeated declines in steel consumption and prices by the property sector and the slow progress of infrastructure projects.

China’s crude steel output in January and February amounted to 167.96 million tonnes, up by 1.6% from 165.31 million tonnes in the first two months of 2023, according to NBS data."

https://www.fastmarkets.com/insights/chinas-new-2024-steel-output-altering-value-chain-dynamics/#:~:text=China's%20crude%20steel%20output%20decreased,Bureau%20of%20Statistics%20(NBS).

WA Aboriginal community reject $10 million per year for land rights

"Aboriginal jobs rejected

Even offers of jobs for local Aboriginal people have been slammed by Woodley, because he claims it is “just another attempt at white assimilation.”

"We don’t want to be trained as labour for Fortescue’s mines," he says.

"We want a fair share in the mineral wealth of our traditional country, to create our own businesses and jobs, to deliver better healthcare and educate our children.

"We are doing that already, through our Juluwarlu organisation, recording our languages, history and culture in books, CDs and films.”

The people in the Roebourne Aboriginal village, about 40 kilometres from the Pilbara mining town of Karratha have a high dependence on social security and 20 people are often crammed into the tiny homes where alcohol and drugs are rife.

Despite the offers of well-paying jobs in nearby mines, most Aboriginal people in the area are unwilling to make the change, and the imprisonment rates remain high.

Woodley said the Aboriginal people are scared by the idea of working in a mine on their traditional and many are illiterate, perhaps because the rate of school attendance remains low."

HAha .. basically to the manor born argument.

"We want a fair share in the mineral wealth of our traditional country, to create our own businesses and jobs, to deliver better healthcare and educate our children."

"We are doing that already, through our Juluwarlu organisation, recording our languages, history and culture in books, CDs and films.”

"Aboriginal people in the area are unwilling to make the change, and the imprisonment rates remain high."

Even offers of jobs for local Aboriginal people have been slammed by Woodley, because he claims it is “just another attempt at white assimilation.”

"We want a fair share in the mineral wealth of our traditional country, to create our own businesses and jobs, to deliver better healthcare and educate our children.

The people in the Roebourne Aboriginal village, about 40 kilometres from the Pilbara mining town of Karratha have a high dependence on social security and 20 people are often crammed into the tiny homes where alcohol and drugs are rife.

Despite the offers of well-paying jobs in nearby mines, most Aboriginal people in the area are unwilling to make the change, and the imprisonment rates remain high.

Woodley said the Aboriginal people are scared by the idea of working in a mine on their traditional and many are illiterate, perhaps because the rate of school attendance remains low."
Typical 1st people b/s
Just show us the money.
Basically illiterate in all forms of communication, written and spoken because of the lack of school attendance.
Taxpayer dependent, booze and drugs are their chosen way of life, for the ones that bemoan their lot in life.
What's so wrong with working on a mine site, learning skills, becoming a tax payer rather than a tax bludger.

$10 Million a year is a Bargin compared to what The UK pays their traditional owners per year just to use the sea bed 😅

The British Royal family earns Millions from the Sea floor