Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Perth junior Cazaly back in fight for Rio deposit
Matt Chambers From: The Australian February 10, 2010 12:00AM

ANDREW Forrest's Fortescue Metals Group and Perth junior Cazaly Resources are renewing an audacious attempt to wrest control of one of the country's biggest iron ore deposits from owners Rio Tinto and Gina Rinehart.
In September last year, the Perth mining warden's court ruled Cazaly did not have the right to peg Rhodes Ridge, a deposit that could contain about three billion tonnes of iron ore.

Yesterday, Cazaly said it would continue to try to wrest control of the deposit from the iron ore giant. "The Supreme Court today held that Cazaly has an arguable case and that the matter should proceed to a substantive hearing before the Court of Appeal," Cazaly said.

Under a 2008 agreement with Fortescue, Cazaly's legal costs will be covered by the iron ore miner. In return, Cazaly has agreed to hand the land to Fortescue for between $20 million and $120m if it can grab control. Cazaly will also receive a $1 royalty for every tonne of iron ore produced.

Yesterday, Cazaly managing director Nathan McMahon would not go into details of the appeal. "We're just contending the ground is open for us to peg," he said.

He said there was no indication of when a date for the appeal would be set.

Cazaly has previously argued that Rio and its joint venture partners, Mrs Rinehart's Hancock Prospecting and Wright Prospecting, had not done enough work on the land to keep it under the state's "use it or lose it" mining laws. A Rio spokesman said the company had not been surprised at the court's decision, but would not comment further.

Rhodes Ridge is not the first deposit Mr McMahon has tried to take off Rio. In 2006, then West Australian mining minister John Bowler knocked back Cazaly's right to peg the Shovelanna deposit after a mix-up with a courier had delayed Rio's renewal.

Cazaly shares did not move much on the announcement yesterday, ending up 1c at 39c.

Rhodes Ridge was discovered in the 1950s by Mrs Rinehart's father, Lang Hancock, and his business partner, Peter Wright.

Rio owns 50 per cent, while Hancock Prospecting and Wright Prospecting own 25 per cent. Cazaly is not the first group to contest claims over Rhodes Ridge. Hancock Prospecting and Wright Prospecting have also butted heads in court over ownership.

From a charting point of view it shows the FMG price has been contained to a point near the apex of two converging trend lines. Another observation is the price action of FMG has not followed the market index upward movement of recent times. I think it was Bulkowski who suggests that the closer price gets to the apex, the less likelihood of a trend continuation breakout.
Anyways it is coming to a break either way because there isn't much room left. Maybe some news or market index action will force the hand.

(Linear scale)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 21
And that to me is one humdinger of a short pattern with a bewt low % loss on stoploss point............1st target 4.20-425.........i could be wrong but cheers for pointing it out.

above ramblings are mere ramblings of what is glaring me in the face........pay no heed as my plan and your plan are 2 different things.

And that to me is one humdinger of a short pattern with a bewt low % loss on stoploss point............1st target 4.20-425.........i could be wrong but cheers for pointing it out.
All positive company news with resource upgrade and conference presentation so there is something else feeding the indecision.

On further reading, this pattern is considered bearish due to 3 hits on the upper trend line. This close-up of the previous chart shows FMG price closed on the lower trend line today.
A false break is a possibility followed by a reversal at the apex.
Not that it will occur now the possibility is worded. (don't believe the echoes ;))

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 12
A few weeks later and after the breakout. The market has a look at $5.40 following the previous bullish day. The breakout came a month too late in hindsight. A breakout with the Index upswing from late February would have seen a much different outcome to this stage.

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 9

above ramblings are mere ramblings of what is glaring me in the face........pay no heed as my plan and your plan are 2 different things.

And i was very wrong.

see what happens when one wants to be an internet guru.............................

A Perth court has decided there is no basis to dismiss charges against Fortescue Metals Group.

FMG will face trial over the deaths of two mine workers, the company is accused of failing to provide a safe workplace.

Deborah Till and Craig Raabe were killed when Cyclone George tore through the mining camp where they lived.

FMG argued it was not responsible for the design or construction of the dongas that failed to protect the pair.

Any suggestions as to where share price will end up?

You've got to be kidding?
If they were fearful for their lives, they should have exercised a bit of common sense, and got the hell out of there!

So if a cyclone rips through my place, in the after life, am I going to sue AV Jennings because they built the house, or the agent who sold it to me?

Everyday now, there is something in the news where one idiot wants to try and sue someone else, because they couldn't take responsibility for their own actions.

The sad things is, the courts are allowing this "dumbing down" to get worse and worse.

:mad:

And you, as time has passed, were close to the mark. Albeit Humpty got a good shove from the news of the week. Present price $4.06 with the wheel still in spin.

A small bounce perhaps, followed by slightly more downside?

A lot depends on the general market conditions over the next few weeks, even months.....

Attachments

• 23-05-2010 FMG.jpg
    23-05-2010 FMG.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 24
Its strange that have there been no posts in this thread for so long.
... especially since the last post there has been ~80% increase.

How are forum members viewing FMG at the moment?

Its strange that have there been no posts in this thread for so long.
... especially since the last post there has been ~80% increase.

How are forum members viewing FMG at the moment?

I dont know where everyone is. Im also looking for discussion on FMG. Myself, I am still very bullish. Up about 30% so far and I reckon im in for the long hall. Great management, vision, and I think that their goals are high but achievable. I reckon this will go above $7 in the very near future and alot higher next year.

Anyone know any forums where there is a more active discussion on fortescue??

Not sure what to make of this. They intend to double iron ore production by 3x and enter the lucrative coal business in QLD but their second largest shareholder has reacted by selling $19.3m worth of shares. It looks good to me that they are diversifying their resources while squeezing their cow a bit more.

I read over FMG's announcement and didn't see anything about coal? Did I miss something?

All I read was that they were going to triple iron ore output like crazy. I think the amount of money they are throwing at this is incredible. If the iron ore price stays high, FMG is a great stock to own. If the iron ore price drops, it will be in a world of hurt.

:2twocents

I read over FMG's announcement and didn't see anything about coal? Did I miss something?

All I read was that they were going to triple iron ore output like crazy. I think the amount of money they are throwing at this is incredible. If the iron ore price stays high, FMG is a great stock to own. If the iron ore price drops, it will be in a world of hurt.

:2twocents

There has been a bit about FMG chasing coal in the press of late.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business...al-in-queensland/story-e6frg2s3-1225962786346

Also some conjecture that FMG may make a bid for BRM and or BCI.

Note sure of the accuracy of this as again it is musings from the press however the AFR alluded to the BRM bid so maybe...

I read an article somewhere last week, but cant remember where ( true ) from a respected source in the international iron market , that a possible threat to OZ iron exporters will come from the South Americans, who whilst having to pay more $$ per mega ton to ship to Asia, labour costs are cheaper and Vale, i think it was, is investing in many of the new "super carriers" which can carry 5 - 10 x the volume making it cheaper to export by sheer volume. They also have deep ports to support these vessels whilst the West does not. Also BHP & RIO are investing heavily in ore in the West ramping up production.

Anyone in the know or care to comment who is more familiar with FMG,MGX, MMX, GBG, etc

Look at their announcement! Increase of ore production and an increase in the price they are selling the stuff for. Makes sense why the SP went up yesterday.

Quite an announcement;

"Jan 19 (Reuters) - Nassim Investments is selling its entire 128.9 million shares in FMG.

The stake is being offered in the range of A$6.76-$6.88 each, a 4.3-6.0 percent discount to its last traded price. Morgan Stanley is the sole book runner"

I don't hold so am just curious to hear of any good wins or losses on this opening move today? I'd imagine a few stops may have been triggered...

Closed at 6.63 -0.560 (-7.789%)