• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Oh, sorry I didn’t take any societal class structure from that.

Is a a Nissan Leaf in that ‘rich dude’ category?

And what box do we slide those that pick the eyes out of every reason that an EV is bad, that an owner is an environmental woke, that only a rich person can afford one?

What is the classification of ‘rich’ these days? Earnings of $250,000 per year, $500,000, $1 million?

I own an EV, I would not class myself as rich, I don’t earn any of the above.

Is it true that there are so few charging points around that if I drove an EV I could get stranded somewhere outback and have to get someone to bring out a portable petrol or diesel generator to get my car running again ?

Is a a Nissan Leaf in that ‘rich dude’ category?

And what box do we slide those that pick the eyes out of every reason that an EV is bad, that an owner is an environmental woke, that only a rich person can afford one?

What is the classification of ‘rich’ these days? Earnings of $250,000 per year, $500,000, $1 million?

I own an EV, I would not class myself as rich, I don’t earn any of the above.
I guess in the context of E.V's, rich would probably be someone who can afford to buy an E.V of a certain vehicle, when it cost nearly twice as much as the equivalent model in ICE configuration.
Then there are others, who can only afford to pay $2-5K for a car.
When it comes to earnings, I suppose it is someone who earns enough to have a mortgage, support a family in a comfortable living standard and afford to buy a new E.V. ?
Being rich is subjective, one persons rich is another persons struggling, I think of rich as having enough money to be able to make choices based on taste, rather than on price.
Being happy with what I have, not just having what I've got, because that was all I could afford.
Being in a position to help the kids, if they need it, not having to turn them away because I haven't got any money.
To me that's being rich, money gives you options, that's all. :xyxthumbs

Last edited:

Is a Anissa Leaf in that ‘rich dude’ category?

What is
Is it true that there are so few charging points around that if I drove an EV I could get stranded somewhere outback and have to get someone to bring out a portable petrol or diesel generator to get my car running again ?

I’ve never heard of someone being in that predicament, but it is possible. Just like the people rescued by roadside assistance with a jerrycan of fuel. Poor planning is the something some drivers get themselves into trouble with.

Yes. And I didn't even have to go outback to do it.
mick

My father & grandfather taught me to always err on the side of caution. In about 37 years of driving across our country & on another continent, I have never run out of fuel. Though, my wife has, before we were married.

We were camping, had enough fuel to make it to the next town. She & her sister took off for supplies & forgot to get fuel, half way back to camp they ran out. Lucky I had my bike & a jerrycan.

My father & grandfather taught me to always err on the side of caution. In about 37 years of driving across our country & on another continent, I have never run out of fuel. Though, my wife has, before we were married.

We were camping, had enough fuel to make it to the next town. She & her sister took off for supplies & forgot to get fuel, half way back to camp they ran out. Lucky I had my bike & a jerrycan.
It must be humbling to be so good at everything.
Hmm, Saint John De Baptist perhaps?
Mick

I always used to tell the wife, happiness is a full tank, she always said I was just a worrier.

Well she ran out of fuel in the centre lane crossing the 6 lane narrows bridge, going into Perth city with the four kids in the car, luckily a good samaritan guy pulled up behind her put his hazard lights on and pushed her down the bridge to where she could get off the road.

She has never run out since and that was nearly 40 years ago, nothing like a near death experience, for some positive reinforcement.

Where she ran out of fuel, would be about where the ambulance is pictured on the left.

Screenshot 2023-02-06 172910.png

It must be humbling to be so good at everything.
Hmm, Saint John De Baptist perhaps?
Mick

I’m really not that good at everything, but I do believe in following gut feelings. Has saved me a few times from some very dangerous situations, when I was younger. Taught my kids the same thing, if it feels odd or weird that’s your sixth sense telling you something.

I’m really not that good at everything, but I do believe in following gut feelings. Has saved me a few times from some very dangerous situations, when I was younger. Taught my kids the same thing, if it feels odd or weird that’s your sixth sense telling you something.

I guess the difference is that if you are worried of running out of fuel in an ICE car you can take a few jerry cans with you, with an EV you can't as far as I know carry spare batteries.

I guess the difference is that if you are worried of running out of fuel in an ICE car you can take a few jerry cans with you, with an EV you can't as far as I know carry spare batteries.

No you can’t, but you can plan ahead.

Yes , but the best laid plans .....

What if the only charging point in town is out of service and there is no where else in range ?

An EV does not need a dedicated charger, a plug socket will do. Caravan parks have 15A sockets, or ask the pub if they will let you use their 10A for a fee and feed.

Last edited:
Yes, but it just comes across as another smug rich dude, putting it up the less fortunate, who can't afford to indulge themselves with buying an E.V.

It's one of those taboo woke things, the rich woke are not supposed to be condescending, they are meant to speak and act in a humble and concerned manner, while flaunting their wealth. :xyxthumbs
That's how they rope in, um sorry, I mean gain the support and approval of the unwashed masses. ?
I don’t think it is aimed at less fortunate people, I think it’s aimed at the smug petrol car owners that are always posting on FB etc trying to down talk EV’s.

View attachment 152688
Diesel to the rescue of the Tesla Semi.
Mick
Horses to the rescue of a petrol car.

obviously when a new vehicle gets into trouble you might have to resort to some old tech to bail it out, but this isn’t a sign of the old tech being better. “Spoiler alert” the petrol cars destroyed the market share of horses.

669B14F6-DBBC-4EC0-9ACC-199F85F6C1B4.jpeg

I thought of it like an alternate universe where everyone drives electric cars and then petrol cars are invented. Very enjoyable.
That is an interesting thought experiment, imagine if the world was already set up with chargers everywhere for Ev’s.

How difficult would it be to convince people to switch to petrol? Almost impossible I think.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is aimed at less fortunate people, I think it’s aimed at the smug petrol car owners that are always posting on FB etc trying to down talk EV’s.
I agree and I do have an EV, but it isn't the way it comes over to 'normal' people. ;)
I come from an unwashed masses background. :xyxthumbs