• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
So where are you going to put the kids ? ;)
probably in the back seat where people normally store their brood.

That battery would easily fit in the boot of a Tesla.

But a better question would be where are you going to store the jerry cans in a sedan with children, I think petrol cans and the associated flammable fumes are going to be the biggest worry with the kids in the back.

In fact that ones of the benefits of electric lawn mowers, I no longer need to drive around with a petrol tin in the boot when it’s time to refuel the mower and line trimmer.

I need to apologise for my lack of patience. My industry is the automotive industry, and the number of people that think they know all there is to know about it, and the new EVs, fluctuates like the weather. Most of the time I just hold my tongue and let them speak, but every so often I need to speak up. The remarks can be very frustrating to someone that has experience but has to keep explaining things over and over. I must learn more patience.

A short list:
  • No, an EV does not need a charger fitted to your home.
  • Yes, you can drive interstate with an EV.
  • No, the drive will not take twice as long. It usually about 30 to 60 minutes longer for a 800km drive.
  • Yes, the EV does come with a charger, and you can charge at home.
  • No, it will not damage the home wiring and fuse box.
  • Yes, an EV is more economical driving to work and back than an ICEV.
  • No, an EV will not run out of charge without warning. It's like a ICEV, you must plan and watch the fuel gauge.
  • Yes, most EVs are cheaper to maintain than an ICEV, there is no engine oil or filters or belts and other such components to change.
  • No, the government is not forcing you to buy an EV.
  • Yes, people have driven all over the country with an EV. A dedicated charger is not required, just a plug socket, and the cable that comes with the car.
How often do you need to change the battery in a Tesla? They're very expensive, yes? I've heard they will last 20 yrs+ or longer.

How often do you need to change the battery in a Tesla? They're very expensive, yes? I've heard they will last 20 yrs+ or longer.

I don't know, it comes with an 8 year warranty. How often do you need to change an engine, transmission or clutch in an ICEV. They are very expensive, and they do fail.

The battery will most likely out last the car. But if you are driving the car as a taxi or some super high Km’s, by the time you have worn the battery out you have saved multiple times the amount of what a battery costs.

Owners report on the Model Y.

Gave up reading the review. Does the author want a family car or one for the race track. If the Model 3 was so much better why did he bother to change cars, apart from his wife giving birth.

Gave up reading the review. Does the author want a family car or one for the race track. If the Model 3 was so much better why did he bother to change cars, apart from his wife giving birth.

I think it was basically a size issue. As he said there is a lot of stuff you have to carry around with kids, I suspect some here who laud EV's don't have to do that.

I think it was basically a size issue. As he said there is a lot of stuff you have to carry around with kids, I suspect some here who laud EV's don't have to do that.
Sir R having two sons a long time ago, know all about what is needed to carry around. Soon learnt the art of what is and what IS NOT needed when going out.

I guess the difference is that if you are worried of running out of fuel in an ICE car you can take a few jerry cans with you, with an EV you can't as far as I know carry spare batteries.
Here's my get out of trouble pack:
What I normally carry in the car every day. 7kW single phase charger, with selectable current settings, so that you can regulate the charger to whatever source you have 8A, 15A, 20A, 25A and 32A.
I also carry a type 2 to type 2 cable for public charging infrastructure.

20230207_111013 copy.jpg

If I'm going away, I will add to the above the following, a 440v 3phase to 32A single phase short ext.
A 250v 15A to 32A short extension.
A 250v 15A extension lead.

20230207_110909 copy.jpg

It all fits under the back floor with the spare wheel.

20230207_111203 copy.jpg
And with the cover in place, it isn't that intrusive.

20230207_111245 copy.jpg
So hopefully I don't get stuck between towns but most towns have 250v 15A outlets, so worst case scenario I can squeeze about 3.2kW/hr into it which will be about 30km/hr of charging.

Sir R having two sons a long time ago, know all about what is needed to carry around. Soon learnt the art of what is and what IS NOT needed when going out.

And how to pack to take advantage of every centimetre of space. Lucky I only had two children, I don’t know how my parents did it with four of us kids. Actually I do, the Holden with bench seats and lax seatbelt rules ?

Here's my get out of trouble pack:
What I normally carry in the car every day. 7kW single phase charger, with selectable current settings, so that you can regulate the charger to whatever source you have 8A, 15A, 20A, 25A and 32A.
I also carry a type 2 to type 2 cable for public charging infrastructure.

View attachment 152739

If I'm going away, I will add to the above the following, a 440v 3phase to 32A single phase short ext.
A 250v 15A to 32A short extension.
A 250v 15A extension lead.

View attachment 152741

It all fits under the back floor with the spare wheel.

View attachment 152742
And with the cover in place, it isn't that intrusive.

View attachment 152743
So hopefully I don't get stuck between towns but most towns have 250v 15A outlets, so worst case scenario I can squeeze about 3.2kW/hr into it which will be about 30km/hr of charging.

You’re ready for Armageddon. Well done, ready to travel the country.

I’ve only got a few cables:

33544D67-8874-4CCD-93BA-8D28EC3BF769.jpeg

The supplied Tesla charging cables with a 10A & 15A plug.

1AF5A941-6655-4BCB-A547-E01349EC0570.jpeg

Cable for public & council charging stations, haven’t had a need to use that in 16 months of ownership. But I feel better having it when travelling.
And the extension cords, I have used the red one on quite a few trips & stays in remote locations.

Yes I made the ext cable with 2.5mm ho7 so it can take 15A easily.
The 440v_250v32A I used 6mm ho7 cable.
Your Tesla cable looks very similar.
Standard heavy duty ext cables at somewhere like Bunnings are usually only 1.5mm conductors.

But did your better half got that?
Mine was not too bad but I saw some new mums loading the car like they were going for a week camping..

But did your better half got that?
Mine was not too bad but I saw some new mums loading the car like they were going for a week camping..
Mr Frog She who is never wrong was the instigator in low level packaging, no matter whether the trip be long or short.

You’re ready for Armageddon. Well done, ready to travel the country.

I’ve only got a few cables:

View attachment 152747

The supplied Tesla charging cables with a 10A & 15A plug.

View attachment 152748

Cable for public & council charging stations, haven’t had a need to use that in 16 months of ownership. But I feel better having it when travelling.
And the extension cords, I have used the red one on quite a few trips & stays in remote locations.
I have that blue one, but haven’t used it yet.

And when I travel I also take the Tesla portable charger.

Or, if you want one slightly less off road but from a manufacturer you have heard of,