• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters

Tesla surges into third place for new car sales

New car sales are bouncing back strongly and electric vehicles such as the popular Tesla Model 3 are making their mark.

The problem is infrastructure is in last place and is going to become more highlighted, i know it will come as demand comes, but the Feds are giving incentives to increase demand.
When in reality they are in no fit state to accept the increased demand, that is in the charging infrastructure and the electrical distribution system to support it.
IMO they are putting way too much emphasis on the shop window, without making sure they have the supply chain to support it.
It may well end up being another great idea, that implodes on pizz poor implementation.
Put in place an agenda to close fossil fueled generation, while at the same time cranking up the demand on it.
This could end badly in the media IMO.
Time will tell.

No way, I'm not that keen. I'll stick to diesel before that, I like the way they drive, lots of torque.
It all boils back to energy density, as we talked about eons ago, in the Australian outback a pure E.V wont cut it ATM.
I traded the Jeep to go pure E.V, because my outback trips, tenting, changing tyres with tyre pliers etc are over.
If I was still doing the Great Central road, the Canning stock route, the Simpson desert, the dig tree, even doing the 6 trips to Kal every year, I wouldn't have bothered getting the E.V.
But time moves on, the mind is willing, but the body isn't able.
Which reminds me, I think I will have to sell the bike.?

Just to highlight the last couple of posts, who is buying E.V's aging baby boomers, it reduces their day to day running costs with a one of payment.
As I've said earlier in the thread, E.V's are a no brainer for people who don't really need a car, like retirees.
The baby boomers lived through their early years knowing if you can't afford it it, don't buy it and if you booked it up, you probably wouldn't be able to afford it when the bill came in.
So the E.V as a last car, is a no brainer, just like a gopher, plug it in and off you go to the shops or the doctor etc.
The mileage they do, would mean no servicing, no weekly petrol station trips, they are in charge of their spending.
Just how they like it :xyxthumbs

From The driven

Given that they have such a big margin on sales, why would Tesla cannibalise that profit to make smaller cars?
Unless of course they have reached the point where the majority of those who would buy an EV have been satisfied, and now they have to compete on price with the entry level ICE cars.
They also have the Tesla Semi and Cybertruck about to commense production, are they going to be able to spread their people assets over so much area?
Mick

This should answer your questions -

Tesla cybertruck is still vapourware, they say retail deliveries will not start till early 2024 now, then you have to wait for RHD versions to kick in.
Rivian R1S and R1t , Ford F150 Lighting, Hummer, and Chevvy Silverado are all currently in production, some for over a year now, but still no announcements about RHD versions, in the case of the Rivian, and Hummer, they may never make RHD versions.
Chinese builder SAIC recently announced the LDV eT60, and electric version of its $WD ute , the T60. Unfortunately, the eT60 is only 2WD, with a paltry 310NM of Torque and a maximum of 1 tonne braked towing capacity, which retails for the princely sum of $92,990 RRP.
You may be better off getting an offroad capable vehicle you like, and paying someone to convert it to electric.
Mick
First production of cyber truck will be this year, ramping up to full production by 2024.

Interesting but fairly long review of the Hyundai ioniq 5 . A nice car but at almost $20k more than say a Tucson , is it good value ?

Interesting but fairly long review of the Hyundai ioniq 5 . A nice car but at almost $20k more than say a Tucson , is it good value ?

No, not when a Tesla Model Y is better value and cheaper.

I didn't personally didn't like it very much, way too heavy on juice, slightly too big for my taste and the instrument cluster was too over the top techno, I kind of didn't know whether it was an Ipad or an arcade game.

But every one to their own, if I had kids and needed something bigger, maybe I would have a different opinion.

I think the Atto 3 is probably a better fit for most people and if someone wants something bigger, the model Y is another good option. Personally I don't think the Ionic 5 is hitting the right spot, it will be interesting to see how it fares in the market place.

Just my opinion.

For Me and She our petrol car and diesel tray top ute will be with us for a couple of years yet. With this time frame in mind, it gives us a better opportunity to scour the market-place and see what will really suit us before either of us falls down into that 6 foot deep rectangle. From what research we have undertaken the Tesla is still in front. But who knows what will be the car of the future in a couple of year's time.

For Me and She our petrol car and diesel tray top ute will be with us for a couple of years yet. With this time frame in mind, it gives us a better opportunity to scour the market-place and see what will really suit us before either of us falls down into that 6 foot deep rectangle. From what research we have undertaken the Tesla is still in front. But who knows what will be the car of the future in a couple of year's time.
I am interested to see the Apple car if and when that eventuates, failing that I think the Model Y might be our next one.

I am interested to see the Apple car if and when that eventuates, failing that I think the Model Y might be our next one.
We are in no real rush to change vehicle style yet. At the moment the farm owns the vehicles and therefore are tax write downs each year, but the Model Y is certainly appealing.

The new partner at work has ordered a Tesla as his first car. He could get anything he wants.

Mercedes Benz and BMW and many others must be quivering in their boots.

I have asked him to ask me if I want to buy it off him when the 3 year lease is finished.
Good deal if the price is right 50% off of course.

Audi are dropping the Heat Pump on the Q4 and replacing it with a Resistive Heater Coil.

Copied from another forum -

Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions?

1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often? The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it. What is this? How much will this service oil change cost and how often – and what happens to the old oil. Also apparently these petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone – so the brakes wear out much faster – how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 100k miles

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 8 times as much. Is this true?

6. Is it true that petrol is flammable?

7. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil, is that true?

9. I have heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens? Is that true?

10. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them – so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy.

11. is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank

12. what is the drop in range in cold weather, I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter – just curious on that one.

13. a friend told me that the exhausts wear out – is that true, and people steal them for the rare material used in them?

14. I was also told – that the exhaust gas isn’t good for you – and if you leave the car running in a confined space – like a garage – you will die – surly that isn’t true is it?

15. next door told me – these petrol cars – carry around 40 to 60 litres of highly flammable liquid which is pumped into a steel cylinder, and its then exploded to generate expanding gas to move a piston, and turn linear motion into rotary motion.

Why would anyone want thousands of explosions happening within a few feet of where you're sitting.

16. a guy at work told me – he has a petrol car, and it leaks oil. When he parks it – surely that’s not right is it – leaving dirty marks on the floor and contaminating the environment so directly. How long before this happens if I change.

17. my dad told me – if you buy a diesel car – the hand pump smells very bad, and you have to wear special gloves to stop your hand smelling, and if you spill it on your clothes it terrible.

18. is it true – the petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere else (hotels/Car parks/Home/Work)?

19. while technology is advancing, will I ever be able to refuel my internal combustion car for free using only the sun?

20. would I be better off going straight to horse and cart, and not buying a horseless carriage – they sound pretty awful, burning dinosaur juice and polluting the environment whilst funding conflict and war and consuming raw material at an unbelievably high rate.

Why, no sense of humour? Every word was relevant.
Yes, but it just comes across as another smug rich dude, putting it up the less fortunate, who can't afford to indulge themselves with buying an E.V.

It's one of those taboo woke things, the rich woke are not supposed to be condescending, they are meant to speak and act in a humble and concerned manner, while flaunting their wealth. :xyxthumbs
That's how they rope in, um sorry, I mean gain the support and approval of the unwashed masses. ?

Yes, but it just comes across as another smug rich dude, putting it up the less fortunate, who can't afford to indulge themselves with buying an E.V.

It's one of those taboo woke things, the rich woke are not supposed to be condescending, they are meant to speak and act in a humble and concerned manner, while flaunting their wealth. :xyxthumbs
That's how they rope in, um sorry, I mean gain the support and approval of the unwashed masses. ?

Oh, sorry I didn’t take any societal class structure from that.

Is a a Nissan Leaf in that ‘rich dude’ category?

And what box do we slide those that pick the eyes out of every reason that an EV is bad, that an owner is an environmental woke, that only a rich person can afford one?

What is the classification of ‘rich’ these days? Earnings of $250,000 per year, $500,000, $1 million?

I own an EV, I would not class myself as rich, I don’t earn any of the above.