• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
So you are driving an EV if it is so good, and if you believe this will save the world..
I thank you for your extra ATO contributions
I was xhitting on The Skeptic website. So much else it was crapping on about was bollocks.

I have no idea how they managed to find that EV charging was more costly that ICE fuel. It was either a total lie or a grossly distorted construction.
Fuel prices in UK are savage.

The weight of these garbage trucks must be enormous
The thing about garbage trucks and city buses is the huge number of stops they make.

For garbage trucks it's literally a stop outside every home and business, the average travel distance between stops would be just a few metres. For buses it's similar, add up all the bus stops and then other reasons for stopping, eg traffic lights or give way situations, and a city bus is doing an awful lot of stopping and starting whilst covering relatively little distance.

In both those situations regenerative braking ought have huge benefits.

Obviously very different for tour buses that do long distances typically including at least some highway running. :2twocents

maybe, I trust your figure
So can you get an EV Haval equivalent for the price of an Haval+18k?
well firstly thats an $18,000 saving in just the first 7 years / 140,000 km, the savings will continue to grow over the cars life of perhaps 21 years / 500,000 km

Also, Havals range in price up to $45,000+ so there isn't that much difference between some of the Ev's coming out.

And in the current context, do not forget the opportunity cost of the extra $18k for the next 7 years.
With the way some of you guys Trade/ invest thats not worth much :cool: . Especially as you don't get to keep that $18,000 for 7 years you immediately have to begin paying it out each week in fuel expenses, and there are other benefits, EG not having to lose your car for 2 days a year to servicing and not having to wait around at service stations for 10 hours a year.

Not to mention if you are commuting on the high way every day, Auto pilot is a pretty sweet feature.

My Tesla model Y RWD cost me $68,900 base plus costs on 5/9/22 - not mid $70s. Same model now $55,900plus costs.
So not quite as dramatic as you write.
Bad for me, good for new buyers.
Don't regret the early adopters buy at all - have had 21 months of enjoyment so far with absolutely no need to sell and with OTA updates the car is now better than new. 24,367kms travelled.
It actually is cool to be the early adopter. We all knew the family that was rather first house with a colour TV, first house with a smart fridge, first jousecwith a hybrid.
I was one of the first to own a PC (ZX80).
I agree.

More fun and interesting to be one of the first rather than being the staid penny pincher conservative but that option is an equally valid viewpoint also.

Psychology of the individual I suppose.

I thank you for your extra ATO contributions
Like wise with your weekly fuel excise :) with the price reduction in ev’s many won’t have luxury vehicle tax now, and the tax is only on the amount above the threshold not the full purchase price anyway.

But also, petrol cars pay the luxury vehicle tax too, so not sure what your point is, especially when you are paying fuel excise.

It actually is cool to be the early adopter. We all knew the family that was rather first house with a colour TV, first house with a smart fridge, first jousecwith a hybrid.
My initial response was to point out that your upper price figure was incorrect.

Sorry, I have never known anyone to buy the first of any new technology. There were thousands of Teslas in Australia before I purchased - after a long period of research into what I wanted in a car that is most likely the last I will ever buy.

I paid more for this car than I ever had paid before but as the cost was part of the kids’ inheritance I thought “Why not me now rather than them later?”

The son and daughter both agreed and both love to drive it - with Dad again as instructor as he was 40 years ago.
:wheniwasaboy:

My initial response was to point out that your upper price figure was incorrect.

Sorry, I have never known anyone to buy the first of any new technology. There were thousands of Teslas in Australia before I purchased - after a long period of research into what I wanted in a car that is most likely the last I will ever buy.

I paid more for this car than I ever had paid before but as the cost was part of the kids’ inheritance I thought “Why not me now rather than them later?”

The son and daughter both agreed and both love to drive it - with Dad again as instructor as he was 40 years ago.
:wheniwasaboy:
I got one of the first batch of Tesla model 3's into the country, after being on a wait list for nearly 3 years while they built the factory and nearly went broke.

I still remember @sptrawler saying that I should cancel my order and get my deposit back because it wasn't looking like Tesla would make it a one stage, HAHAH good time ;)

So far I have put nearly 60,000km on it, and it's going great. It was the most expensive car I have ever owned, the prior car was a 22 year old commodore, that I bought second when it was 6 years old for $15,000. I think the Tesla should exceed the commodores achievements.

I got one of the first batch of Tesla model 3's into the country, after being on a wait list for nearly 3 years while they built the factory and nearly went broke.

I still remember @sptrawler saying that I should cancel my order and get my deposit back because it wasn't looking like Tesla would make it a one stage, HAHAH good time ;)

So far I have put nearly 60,000km on it, and it's going great. It was the most expensive car I have ever owned, the prior car was a 22 year old commodore, that I bought second when it was 6 years old for $15,000. I think the Tesla should exceed the commodores achievements.
I'll take credit for that, but was I talking about your model 3, or the Cyber Truck? 🤣

Nah it was the Model 3, I think it was when they were having the issues at the factory and they kept postponing it, and all the analyst's were saying they were going to run out of money before the factory ramped up.
Yes I must admit I was a critic of Musk in the early days and now I'm a fan, I'm always prepared to concede where I'm wrong and give kudos where they are deserved.
Musk has proven that the impossible can be done, with the right vision, determination and self belief, Starlink, Space X and Tesla vehicles/ batteries proved that and no one can take credit away from him IMO.:xyxthumbs

An EV model made the top selling car list.

Tesla Model Y overtakes Toyota Corolla as world’s best-selling car

Months after the Toyota HiLux lost the top sales spot in Australia to the Ford Ranger, the Toyota Corolla has lost its global sales crown – and for the first time, an electric car has taken the top spot.

After almost two decades, the Toyota Corolla has been dethroned as the world's best-selling car.

The Tesla Model Y has taken the top spot on the sales chart, outselling the Corolla in 2023 as the world's most popular passenger car – the first time in history for an electric car.

According to data released by Jato Dynamics, Tesla sold a total of 1.22 million Model Y vehicles across the globe in 2023 – an increase of 64 per cent year-on-year.

While the Corolla is believed to have held the title consecutively since 2005, this year saw sales of the small Toyota fall by 19 per cent, to end up in fourth position.

Further solidifying the worldwide trend of buyers preferring SUVs, the Toyota RAV4 took second place, with 1.08 million sales, while the Honda CR-V took third overall with 846,000 vehicles sold.

Global Sales RankingModel2023 Sales
1Tesla Model Y1,223,000
2Toyota RAV41,075,000
3Honda CR-V846,000
4Toyota Corolla803,000
5Toyota Corolla Cross715,000
6Toyota Camry650,000
7Ford F-150623,000
8Toyota HiLux605,000
9Nissan Sentra534,000
10Tesla Model 3508,000
Source: Jato Dynamics.

Rounding out the top 10 were the Toyota Corolla Cross, the Toyota Camry, the Ford F-150, the Toyota HiLux, the Nissan Sentra, and the Tesla Model 3 in 10th.

In Australia, a total of 28,769 buyers chose the Tesla Model Y last year – enough for the car to take out sixth position in the local top 10 – but data showed it was actually the number one choice for private buyers, once vehicle sales for businesses, fleets, rental cars, and governments were taken out of the equation.

The Toyota Corolla first snatched the global sales title from the original Volkswagen Beetle in 1997, but it was 2005 when the Corolla would eventually reclaim and hold onto the top sales spot – a crown it then held for 18 years in a row.
In Australia, the Toyota HiLux was also dethroned as the country's best-selling vehicle after seven years in a row, with the Ford Ranger taking the top spot for the first time.

In a somewhat surprising move, VW have invested $1billion in US EV maker Rivian, with another $4 billion promised.
It would seem that VW sees something in Rivian that Ford could not.
Just as an aside, during the ten weeks we drove around the US, Rivians outnumbered both the Cybertruck and F150 lightning by some margin, but they have been around longer.
Mick
1719360006347.png

I was xhitting on The Skeptic website. So much else it was crapping on about was bollocks.

I have no idea how they managed to find that EV charging was more costly that ICE fuel. It was either a total lie or a grossly distorted construction.
Fuel prices in UK are savage.
This video from The Driven examines how some other film makers manage to torture figures to "show" it costs more drive an EV and than a Petrol car.

Excellent analysis of all the variables.

The story of the first privately funded fast EV charger in this part of WA

It has now been replaced. There are a number of technical issues about the process that are illuminating. As many people have noted technical issues aren't simple - particularly when the technology is very new.

The story of the first privately funded fast EV charger in this part of WA

It has now been replaced. There are a number of technical issues about the process that are illuminating. As many people have noted technical issues aren't simple - particularly when the technology is very new.
Nice, and having the stand alone EV charger run by a diesel generator is just the start, how easy would it be to connect a battery and some solar panels to it to reduce the time that generator has to run, if ever.