• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters

Sounds like the U.S is getting nervous about the growth of Chinese EV's
One of the issues about the much touted over the airways updates is that a bd faith actor, in this case the Chinese, could send out an OTA that crippled all the vehicles.
Indeed, if I was running the show, I would have a trojan horse installed already.
it would just need a piece of software already installed in the controller that said that unless it gets regular updates from headquarters, the controller prevents the vehicle from running.

Mick

One of the issues about the much touted over the airways updates is that a bd faith actor, in this case the Chinese, could send out an OTA that crippled all the vehicles.
Indeed, if I was running the show, I would have a trojan horse installed already.
it would just need a piece of software already installed in the controller that said that unless it gets regular updates from headquarters, the controller prevents the vehicle from running.

Mick

If it was that easy, every mobile phone, computer, and anything else that is connected to a Wi-Fi system is vulnerable to mass hacking. Including medical devices.

Which Internet-Connected Medical Devices Pose The Highest Hacking Risk?

It is that easy, its being done all the time.
What on earth makes you think all of the above is not vulnerable?
In the case of trojans, we have no idea the software is even there.
Mick

Mainly because I don't know anyone that has had their mobile phone hacked by or during an OTA update, and I interact with an average of 15 different people 6 days a week, I've had several phones starting with Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and iPhones starting with the earliest and up to the latest 15. I use the phone for everything, from business calls to banking and investment, games and updates almost daily. Not once have I been hacked.

No, not in the common meaning of “hacked”.​
But if you mean: someone can track you and analyse the usage, then yes: Both google, Apple and other brands such as Huawei has positioning services and other kinds of data collecting services activated.​
Your cell phone company probably has data analytics tools as well on your subscription.​
Some of this you can turn off, some of it is harder…​

Mainly because I don't know anyone that has had their mobile phone hacked by or during an OTA update, and I interact with an average of 15 different people 6 days a week, I've had several phones starting with Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and iPhones starting with the earliest and up to the latest 15. I use the phone for everything, from business calls to banking and investment, games and updates almost daily. Not once have I been hacked.
That's the problem, you may not even know you have been hacked, you may not even know that your devices have trojans in them until activated.
As another famous bloke once said, there known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns.
Mick

That's the problem, you may not even know you have been hacked, you may not even know that your devices have trojans in them until activated.
As another famous bloke once said, there known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns.
Mick

Now you’re starting to sound a little paranoid.

The purpose of hacking is to get something, if I have been hacked I would have lost something. The reason I install updates as soon as they are available is to limit the chances of being hacked.

The original discussion was in regards to your mention of being hacked by an over the air update.

Of course nothing is impossible, but the chances are extremely slim. Just like you losing all your banked money and investments from a hacker.

Now you’re starting to sound a little paranoid.

The purpose of hacking is to get something, if I have been hacked I would have lost something. The reason I install updates as soon as they are available is to limit the chances of being hacked.

The original discussion was in regards to your mention of being hacked by an over the air update.

Of course nothing is impossible, but the chances are extremely slim. Just like you losing all your banked money and investments from a hacker.
I never mentioned hacking in my original post, you bought it up.
I was talking about inbuilt trojans, I am sorry if you are unable to grasp such subtle differences.
Mick

I was talking about inbuilt trojans, I am sorry if you are unable to grasp such subtle differences.
Mick

Installing a Trojan illegally on another person’s electronic device is a form of hacking.

Don't Forget I predicted last year Hydrogen Cars was the Future
And Guess What
SIX (6) Hydrogen cars were sold in Australia in 2023
Capt Chaza.jpg

If it was that easy, every mobile phone, computer, and anything else that is connected to a Wi-Fi system is vulnerable to mass hacking. Including medical devices.

Which Internet-Connected Medical Devices Pose The Highest Hacking Risk?

It is that easy, its being done all the time.
What on earth makes you think all of the above is not vulnerable?
In the case of trojans, we have no idea the software is even there.
Mick
It is that easy all A/C and grid connected inverters sold in Australia have to be fitted with remote overide devices, so that power system control can shut them down remotely, as far as I know, @Smurf 1976 would be able to confirm

Mick

Mick
Couldn’t any car have stuff like that built in, I mean if the car company really wanted to couldn’t they install the car with a mobile data connection that you don’t even know about?

e.g you think your car is off grid but really it has a data connection, if an Apple Watch can connect to mobile phone towers or satellites surely the hardware could be hidden in a large thing like a car.

Couldn’t any car have stuff like that built in, I mean if the car company really wanted to couldn’t they install the car with a mobile data connection that you don’t even know about?
Yes, the only cars that wouldn't have it, are those that didn't want to spend the money, the Kona doesn't have it but I think the new generation does have over the air.
From memory, a long time ago, I'm pretty sure high end European ICE cars could be disabled over the air.
If I can bother my ar$e I will google it. Lol

Last edited:
Running off on a tangent again.
The original post was about OTA, this other stuff is another issue.
e.g you think your car is off grid but really it has a data connection, if an Apple Watch can connect to mobile phone towers or satellites surely the hardware could be hidden in a large thing like a car.
geez, now look at who has got into the paranoia.
1. Cars that have OTA updates, by deffinition must have an internet connection.
2. They must have software that verifies updates and performs the installation.
3. The software is installed at production time, not later, not by a hack, but by the manufacturer or their agents if they outsource it.
Mick

Running off on a tangent again.
The original post was about OTA, this other stuff is another issue.

geez, now look at who has got into the paranoia.
1. Cars that have OTA updates, by deffinition must have an internet connection.
2. They must have software that verifies updates and performs the installation.
3. The software is installed at production time, not later, not by a hack, but by the manufacturer or their agents if they outsource it.
Mick
Hang on, you are the one that started talking about having trojan horses installed and stuff, I am not paranoid I just drive my car around.

but also most new cars have car play and other software installed so that phones connect to them, couldn’t that be a way in too? a rental car we had in the USA used my wife’s phone data to do some software update to its entertainment system while her phone was connected, We didn’t think much of it, we were just happy we could play the Billie eilish album from her phone to the car, and the car could use her data for the navigation.

IMO I would be extremely surprised if most economically sensitive equipment from China, doesn't have the ability for them to interogate it, it would be remiss of them not to.
From their perspective, they are supplying very socially and economically embedded equipment which carries a stigma of made in China, they would want to be able to check over the air any complaints and do remote checks.
We were doing that in the 1980's with remote power stations, it was basic then, now it would be mind boggling the info and remote access available.

Reading a local automotive magazine and found a couple of interesting articles on EV futures, here's one -

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.32.37 pm.png

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.36.59 pm.png
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.42.01 pm.png