• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I still think semi's will be broken into two types, battery EV and H2 types.
The BEV's will do short haul and H2 will do long haul, time will tell as usual.
The most cost effective methods will prevail.

Lets not become the Tesla and EV fan club thread, maybe start a new one.
Try and keep it general IMO, otherwise it will become a pissing competition.
A Tesla thread is probably a good idea, they are very popular, so a lot of good info could be passed on.
Maybe start it in the general chat section, just a thought.

Lets not become the Tesla and EV fan club thread, maybe start a new one.
Try and keep it general IMO, otherwise it will become a pissing competition.
A Tesla thread is probably a good idea, they are very popular, so a lot of good info could be passed on.
Maybecin the general chat section, just a thought.

I just posted several EV articles from one automotive magazine, it had one article about a crash repair that was approached by Tesla. How is that being a Tesla fan club thread?

I just posted several EV articles from one automotive magazine, it had one article about a crash repair that was approached by Tesla. How is that being a Tesla fan club thread?
It just becomes very screen hungry, if you are on a smaller device, many people who are travelling just want to voice ideas and opinions, not download page after page of a magazine.
Maybe a comment and a link to the magazine?
Just saying, don't mean to offend, just awkward when using smaller devices.
It may be great info, but difficult to navigate.

One of the issues about the much touted over the airways updates is that a bd faith actor, in this case the Chinese, could send out an OTA that crippled all the vehicles.
Indeed, if I was running the show, I would have a trojan horse installed already.
It doesn't need to be malicious.

At the risk of upsetting anyone here who writes code for a living, my personal experience is the entire software industry can't be trusted to properly test revisions.

As a non-car example, CommSec. Adds a new feature (that they thought was new but it was always there in practice) then crashes. Hmm.....

For another, well I've got a battery at home for which a recent update has disabled all but the most basic functionality. Programmers failing to properly test once again. :banghead:

Professionally and personally I've just seen far too many examples to be at all keen on anyone having the ability to update software remotely on a car. Not because they can't test it properly, just because I know they almost certainly won't.

If it's a stockbroker or home battery that fails then it's a nuisance. If it's a car then that could be a matter of life versus death.

My view = a formal testing protocol under unrestricted external supervision needs to be mandatory when it comes to cars, aircraft etc for all software changes however minor. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time until a car manufacturer replicates the Boeing MCAS debacle. :2twocents

Last edited:
It doesn't need to be malicious.

At the risk of upsetting anyone here who writes code for a living, my personal experience is the entire software industry can't be trusted to properly test revisions.

As a non-car example, CommSec. Adds a new feature (that they thought was new but it was always there in practice) then crashes. Hmm.....

For another, well I've got a battery at home for which a recent update has disabled all but the most basic functionality. Programmers failing to properly test once again. :banghead:

Professionally and personally I've just seen far too many examples to be at all keen on anyone having the ability to update software remotely on a car. Not because they can't test it properly, just because I know they almost certainly won't.

If it's a stockbroker or home battery that fails then it's a nuisance. If it's a car then that could be a matter of life versus death.

My view = a formal testing protocol under unrestricted external supervision needs to be mandatory when it comes to cars, aircraft etc for all software changes however minor. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time until a car manufacturer replicates the Boeing MCAS debacle. :2twocents
What about the cases where the over the air updates fix problems, or make adjustments that make the cars safer?

for example there have been many updates to may car over the last 5 years that improve everything from recognition of red lights and stops signs, to lane keeping, window wiper function, security etc etc etc.

I mean who is to say the software the car ships with is the safest possible version?

Ford transit van sets Bathurst record, beating Mercedes AMG and the current supercars. 🤣

The Ford SuperVan 4.2 lapped the circuit faster than the V8-powered Mercedes-AMG coupe which had set a new record only eight days earlier.
With two-time Le Mans winner Romain Dumas at the wheel, the electric Ford set a 1:56.28 to beat the fastest lap set by Jules Gounon in the Mercedes-AMG GT, a 1:56.6064.

For comparison, the SuperVan’s 1:56.28 came moments before Broc Feeney set the fastest time for pole position in the afternoon’s V8 Supercars race with a 2:06.5465.

Norway has done great, but it does have to be kept in context, small population relitively spread out.
Norway
The stock of electric and plug-in hybrid cars in Norway came close to 817,500 units in 2022, representing a significant increase from 2012 when fewer than 10,000 electric cars were registered in the country.

United Kingdom.
With increasing consumer demand and the greater availability of electric models, the number of electric cars in the UK is growing at a rapid rate. As of the end of January 2024, there are now approximately 1,000,000 fully electric cars on UK roads and a further 600,000 plug-in hybrids.

Australia.
We estimated that there are now approximately 130,000 EVs on Australia's roads, made up of around 109,000 BEVs and 21,000 PHEVs. If EV sales continue at the same rate for the remainder of 2023, the fleet should reach close to 180,000 by year's end.

Hi SP,

your figures indicate that Norway has 2.12 ev's per sq klm of land area

UK has about 4 EVs per sq klm of land area

and good old OZ has 0.01 EV per sq klm of land area

I seem to recall someone pointing out this problem a few years ago

Norway has done great, but it does have to be kept in context, small population relitively spread out.
Norway
The stock of electric and plug-in hybrid cars in Norway came close to 817,500 units in 2022, representing a significant increase from 2012 when fewer than 10,000 electric cars were registered in the country.

United Kingdom.
With increasing consumer demand and the greater availability of electric models, the number of electric cars in the UK is growing at a rapid rate. As of the end of January 2024, there are now approximately 1,000,000 fully electric cars on UK roads and a further 600,000 plug-in hybrids.

Australia.
We estimated that there are now approximately 130,000 EVs on Australia's roads, made up of around 109,000 BEVs and 21,000 PHEVs. If EV sales continue at the same rate for the remainder of 2023, the fleet should reach close to 180,000 by year's end.
Its not overly different from Australia if you broke up Australia into regions the size of norway.

I mean Norway has over double the population of WA and triple the population of South Australia, and 1.5 x the population of south east Queensland.

Each of Australia’s capital cities is basically a Norway sized Island, being so spread out you would compare the total population to Norway, but rather break up Australia into regional areas of about the same size.

Hi SP,

your figures indicate that Norway has 2.12 ev's per sq klm of land area

UK has about 4 EVs per sq klm of land area

and good old OZ has 0.01 EV per sq klm of land area

I seem to recall someone pointing out this problem a few years ago
Norway with nearly 100% renewables and the a road network of only 95,000km does lend itself to E.V's, also as the video stated the Govt really put in a lot of incentives and charging infrastructure.
We were there in October and I expected to see a lot more EV's on the road than there was, we go again next year in July, so it will be interesting to see if October was just a quite period of the year.

It may not be long before we can only buy EVs as that will be all that is manufactured.

We have to accept that here in Oz we need to start doing something about it in a major way.

Firstly we need a Lot of power at night because there will be millions of cars plugged in, no excuse is acceptable we have to have power at night or our country will collapse.

We need thousands of charging points on every highway and the supply of power to those points is simply not available.

It is an enormous job and we have really only paid lip service to it, going to be a very big balls up IMO

The sky is not falling.

The electricity grid is already changing, a majority of households have solar, battery technology is improving every day and home batteries will be the next big thing.

Look at mobile phones for an example. The first required a battery bigger than a brick and only had a few hours life, the latest are tiny and easily go a full day while watching videos.

It may not be long before we can only buy EVs as that will be all that is manufactured.

We have to accept that here in Oz we need to start doing something about it in a major way.

Firstly we need a Lot of power at night because there will be millions of cars plugged in, no excuse is acceptable we have to have power at night or our country will collapse.

We need thousands of charging points on every highway and the supply of power to those points is simply not available.

It is an enormous job and we have really only paid lip service to it, going to be a very big balls up IMO
We have heaps of power available at both the middle of the night and the middle of the day, both times the majority of cars are parked.

chargers out on the freeways are already being built, you can already drive between all the Australian east coast cities including Adelaide, more will continue going as demand comes.

——————————

it’s not really as big of a job as you think, pulling out a petrol bowser and replacing it with an electric charger is pretty straight forward, especially when you consider that the exisiting petrol bowsers and undet ground fuel tanks wil need to be replaced anyway over the next 20 years. So petrol stations just have to switch some of their replacement cap ex to the new system.

Tritium, the elctric charger manufacturer, is still struggling to stay afloat.
From AFR
Brisbane-based technology company Tritium is planning a last-minute share consolidation to boost its stock price and avoid being kicked off the Nasdaq.

Only three years after it listed in the United States with a valuation of $2 billion, Tritium is clinging on for its financial life. Tritium’s shares have been trading at below $US1 since August last year – a breach of listing requirements.

The company, which makes fast-chargers for electric vehicles, has also struggled to find a new cornerstone investor.

In January, one of Tritium’s largest individual shareholders, Queensland coal billionaire Brian Flannery – who has been a vocal critic of management’s ability to control its costs – sold his remaining shares in the company.
Despite the company closing its Brisbane factory before Christmas to focus on its US operations, other major investors including Varley Group and Invesco have also recently significantly sold down their respective stakes.

Tritium will hold a meeting of investors in Brisbane this month, where it will propose the share consolidation. Under Nasdaq rules, if a company’s stock falls below $US1 for more than 30 consecutive days it is put on notice it may be de-listed.
In October, Tritium was granted a 180-day extension to boost its share price. This expires on April 8.
According to Tritium’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission in the United States, the proposed share consolidation – known as a reverse stock swap – would involve 200 Tritium shares being converted into one share.
Tritium said the proposed share consolidation, if approved by shareholders, would convert just over 217 million into about 1 million shares.
“This is a large number of shares relative to companies of similar size and market capitalisation,” Tritium’s filings read.
“Having such a large number of shares on issue creates some perceived disadvantages for the company and its shareholders, including potential negative perceptions associated with a low share price; precluding investment from particular investors who may be subject to a mandate or restrictions on investing in companies below a certain share price threshold; and administrative costs associated with managing a large volume of shares.”

Tritium also said the share consolidation would help the company comply with the Nasdaq listing rules and would be enacted as soon as possible.
The reverse stock swap could be the last roll of the dice for the company. Another former investor believes Tritium’s debt would sell at a discount, “leaving nothing for shareholders”.
Sounds like an Obituary is about to be prepared.
Mick