• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Just a personal observation but on a trip from NSW Central Tablelands to Melbourne, a lot more Teslas were evident on the Hume Highway so it looks like they are catching on.

There may be more EV's that I didn't recognise as well.

I'm currently at my coastal retreat, and I have never seen so many EVs here as I have in the past few days. The Tesla Model Y is dominant, but that doesn't surprise me.

I do find the number of huge utes a laugh, how did our past generations get away with traveling and towing in a good old Aussie sedan? These modern utes are monsters, I wonder what damage they are doing to the highways. The local Sailing Club has Friday dinners, it looked like a convention for the biggest ute club.

I do find the number of huge utes a laugh, how did our past generations get away with traveling and towing in a good old Aussie sedan? These modern utes are monsters, I wonder what damage they are doing to the highways. The local Sailing Club has Friday dinners, it looked like a convention for the biggest ute club.

Of interest perhaps.
Toyota Hilux 4WD empty weighs around 1860kg.
Tesla model Y empty weighs around 1990kg.

Was that the 2016 model?

What about the 2023/24 range, starting at 2040kg for the base model, and withthe capacity to go all the way to 3100kg loaded.

View attachment 168539
View attachment 168541

Perhaps a more apt comparison might be between the Tesla Cybertruck and the Hilux.
From Drive.com
The document shows the Tesla Cybertruck will weigh between 4082 and 4546 kilograms (or 9001 to 10,000 pounds) – similar to the circa-4400kg GMC Hummer EV, but about twice as much as the Toyota HiLux SR5 dual-cab ute (2110kg).
Mick

Of interest perhaps.
Toyota Hilux 4WD empty weighs around 1860kg.
Tesla model Y empty weighs around 1990kg.

And while we're rectifying the age of your information, don't forget the Yank tanks coming in. I've seen quite a few of the Dodge Rams around lately. Kerb Weight starting at 2,572 kg

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 12.31.51 pm.png

And while we're rectifying the age of your information, don't forget the Yank tanks coming in. I've seen quite a few of the Dodge Rams around lately. Kerb Weight starting at 2,572 kg
Back to your original road damage misunderstanding, the PSI on the road for the RAM is ?

Where is this sailing club you quoted that has all the RAM's ?

Back to your original road damage misunderstanding, the PSI on the road for the RAM is ?

Where is this sailing club you quoted that has all the RAM's ?

Recommended tire pressure is 38 psi. The OEM tire max is 50 PSI cold at 1445kg per tire.

SA, but I did not mention the number of RAM trucks, I said "I do find the number of huge utes a laugh, how did our past generations get away with traveling and towing in a good old Aussie sedan? These modern utes are monsters, I wonder what damage they are doing to the highways. The local Sailing Club has Friday dinners, it looked like a convention for the biggest ute club."

The car park was full as well as 4 or 5 large utes parked on the wide dirt footpath. The Ford Rangers was the most common model, but there were plenty of others like the Toyota Hilux's, Mitsi Tritons, Mazda BT50's, Holden Colorado, an ugly Chinese equivalent I think they're called LDV, and some others that I didn't recognise but definitely a couple of RAM's. I've never seen the club like that before, and as I said, it made laugh.

Last edited:
Recommended tire pressure is 38 psi. The OEM tire max is 50 PSI cold at 1445kg per tire.
John, what I was referring to was the PSI load applied to the road. Considerations are tyre (sq/cm) footprint and obviously load per tyre.

It's actually an amazing topic and I now don't remember any of it from my days (70's) of having to study that stuff.

Static aspect is easy but when you involve vehicle dimensions and braking etc it gets complicated.
I think I may still have some of the formulae somehere from a copy of the U.S. Dept of Transport Highway info on Load and Resistance Factor Design.

Perhaps a more apt comparison might be between the Tesla Cybertruck and the Hilux.
From Drive.com

Mick
if it’s road damage we care about.

Maybe also include the weight of all the fuel trucks needed on the road to fuel the petrol and diesel cars, how much does a fuel tanker weigh?
😜

with EV’s our fuel doesn’t require as many trucks traversing the nations highways and local roads.

But you have to do three trips to carry 1t as the load limit is 433kg and you may exceed the compartment weights to do that :unsure:
I acknowledge your issue with the 1t of gold is carrying capacity, I somehow have a more $ focus problem to implement that trip😂

According to ABC News
Owners of e-bikes or e-scooters will not be allowed to charge their batteries inside their apartments under rules developed for strata schemes concerned about fire risk.

Key points:​

• E-bike batteries have sparked a series of fires in apartment buildings and hostels
  • A body representing apartment owners has proposed a ban on charging e-bike batteries inside residential spaces
  • Bicycle NSW says such a ban is unrealistic

The Owners Corporation Network (OCN), an independent body representing apartment owners, has drafted a model by-law on the management of e-bikes and e-scooters after a series of fires sparked by lithium-ion batteries.

If adopted by strata schemes, the by-law would also ban residents from storing cheaper imported models, modified, or damaged e-bikes on the property.

OCN board chair Fred Tuckwell said they supported the uptake of e-bikes and e-scooters as a clean mode of transport but wanted to ensure they were stored and charged safely.

"We're not saying ban the things. We're just saying mitigate the risk and just be cautious and sensible," Mr Tuckwell said.
"Don't buy cheap junk, don't hot them up, and don't put them in the fire egress path."
Another reason I will never be involved again with property that has body corporate structure governing what can and cannot be done.
Mick

According to ABC News
Owners of e-bikes or e-scooters will not be allowed to charge their batteries inside their apartments under rules developed for strata schemes concerned about fire risk.

Another reason I will never be involved again with property that has body corporate structure governing what can and cannot be done.
Mick
Interesting.
How will they police that?

I agree the main problem with the ebike, escooter fire issue, is mix and match equipment.
Some lithium batteries have inbuilt charge regulation (BMS), some don't, so the charger that comes with the device works accordingly.
However if that charger is lost or fails, a cheap ebay replacement might not be the bargain people think.
Then you have the others who build up an ebike from bits and pieces, they may source the cheap battery from one supplier and a cheap charger from another, recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Interesting.
How will they police that?

I agree the main problem with the ebike, escooter fire issue, is mix and match equipment.
Some lithium batteries have inbuilt charge regulation (BMS), some don't, so the charger that comes with the device works accordingly.
However if that charger is lost or fails, a cheap ebay replacement might not be the bargain people think.
Then you have the others who build up an ebike from bits and pieces, they may source the cheap battery from one supplier and a cheap charger from another, recipe for disaster.
They probably don‘t plan on policing it, it just gives them an out if there is a fire related to an e-bike, and they get to stick the damage bill on the tenant / owner occupier.