• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Have you ever run it right down to nearly Zero?
I got quite a shock when in the BYD the remaining charge went from 10% to zero in a very short time, had 35 kms left and 18 km to run.
Car died 1km from home.
No warning, no limping, just went dead.
Have never let it get below 15% since.
Cue the Tesla drivers to tell us how good the Teslas are.
Mick

I am a coward, I know guys that have to test the limits for their curiosity. The lowest I have been is 8%. During a wet and cold winters night, the system started limiting fictions like heater, acceleration, but I was prepared for that.

No I'm from the old school of outback travel, "happiness is a full tank", sort of guy.
I think the lowest I've seen is 40%, when I went over to Wickepin to see the younger son, so this will be a good test.

I'm taking the MIL, so it will really depend on what the reading is when I get to the sons place, and how much charge is left.
If it looks like it will be close I will chicken out, the last thing I need is a wife and the MIL hanging off my ear at the side of the road waiting for a tilt tray truck, stuff that for a game of soldiers.

There is a fast charger in Collie and one in Harvey, so discretion will be the better part of valour, I'm not as brave as you. :cool:
10% jeezuz you're brave.:roflmao:

I'm guessing 400km is safe, but as it will be pretty well the same trip both ways, I should know by Collie if it will get back. I've never had a full load of 5 passengers on a highway run though.
I'll post up the result tomorrow avo,unless it is too embarrassing.🤣

I’m also a chicken when it comes to vehicles, long distance driving, and fuel/charge.

Good luck, keep us posted.

It is extremely common in Manhood, Womanhood and all the other 'Hoods nowadays
that we often take the Wrong Tack in all aspects in Life
IMHO I think this LITHIUM Fad will go out of fashion soon and HYDROGEN will become all the Rage

Does anybody know of any Hydrogen stocks available on the ASX for me/us to build a watchlist

I only have FMG and GHY as my Long Term Hydrogen Holdings ATM

Salute and Gods' Speed
XYZ Yacht.GIF

PS : As my Dear father used to say
"Don't think Chaz , You are No Good at it! "

IMHO I think this LITHIUM Fad will go out of fashion soon and HYDROGEN will become all the Rage

Does anybody know of any Hydrogen stocks available on the ASX for me/us to build a watchlist

Salute and Gods' Speed
View attachment 167732

PH2 is my test bed.

Pure Hydrogen is the first Australian company, and one of the first companies globally, covering hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, plus the supply and manufacturer of hydrogen and delivery systems. They are focused on providing the best energy solutions for Hydrogen and Clean Energy. The Company is looking at producing Hydrogen at multiple plants across Australia and we expect to supply to many parts of Australia.

Salute and Gods' Speed
View attachment 167732

Eventually energy density has to win out IMO, whether you or I are alive when it does, remains to be seen. :xyxthumbs

We are amazing creatures, we are terrific at adapting and coming up with new technologies to survive.

PH2 is my test bed.

Pure Hydrogen is the first Australian company, and one of the first companies globally, covering hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, plus the supply and manufacturer of hydrogen and delivery systems. They are focused on providing the best energy solutions for Hydrogen and Clean Energy. The Company is looking at producing Hydrogen at multiple plants across Australia and we expect to supply to many parts of Australia.
Be careful with investing in these..irrespective of the tech, know how ,patents, these companies are money burning pits, always ready for more capital raising, and could in 2 years be doing a new sale speech as being the next big name in deep sea nodule mining, ai, you name it..

Eventually energy density has to win out IMO, whether you or I are alive when it does, remains to be seen. :xyxthumbs

We are amazing creatures, we are terrific at adapting and coming up with new technologies to survive.
This is the key, as long as we can not store enough electricity or H2 / ammonia to match density of petroleum , we are just toying around.
Saw interesting article stating that H2 can be stored within a metallic solid structure in a way which is higher/same density than compressed H2 (with its costs and limitations/dangers).
If true, that could be a game changer for H2 either as H2 ice engine or H2 fuel cells for ev motors .

And when you have to use a commercial charger lets hope that it is in working condition.
At the moment I don't think that's an issue, especially on this trip, I can go back through Collie/Harvey, or Donnybrook/ Bunbury, but as EV take up increases the chance of them being available decreases.

Hence my motto, allow for the worst, hope for the best, I'm 99.9% sure the EV I've got can do the trip without a charge. ;)

After a bit over a year, I have a couple of observations.
I was told initially that Plugshare would be the most important APP on my phone.
ot only will it tell you where the charge points are, people will log in and say if they are being used.
Experience of arriving at a plugshare available charger has shown that only about half the users seem to log in at any time.
It is far better to cfind a potential charger, then check on the App that controls that particular charger to see if it is in use.
Secondly, the reliability factor of the charging points is problematical.
Once ahain, the Plugshare Ap may or may not show one or more of the chargers are out of action.
Once again you have to check with the ap that controls that charger.
Thirdly, some charge points while advertising they are fast chargers, 25, 50, 80 KWhr, the reality is that you only get that rate if you are the only one charging.
Last week I was happily charging at 88KWHr when two other EV's pulled in and the charge dropped to low 30KWhrs.
Does not happen with all, but quite a few do.
Four, EV drivers love to chat to other EV drivers about their cars.
Mick
In W.A Chargefox is the man supplier, I tend to only use that, but I don't do a lot of country trips, we are tending to head overseas while we can.

O.K a few seem interested, so here is a photo of the battery map today at full charge, I will try and take a photo when we arrive and when we get back, company willing.🤪
We might as well make the thread informative, for those who are interested in the facts.

Screenshot_20231223_130439_Soul EV Spy.jpg

O.K a few seem interested, so here is a photo of the battery map today at full charge, I will try and take a photo when we arrive and when we get back, company willing.🤪
We might as well make the thread informative, for those who are interested in the facts.

View attachment 167739
Now thats what I call a set of well balanced cells!
Mick

View attachment 167739
Have a safe drive, and try to come back without the need of a generator on the roadside 😉

Right it looks like 520km estimate, which was probably calculated on recent around town running, translated into 410km of highway running with full load and A/C running 34 deg c day.
The good thing is a round trip to the sons place is no problem on a charge, so happy days. :xyxthumbs
390-400klm is probably worst case scenario and 470-490klm best case scenario around Perth/Mandurah and the SW of W.A which is where I will be using it.

20231224_182431.jpg

20231224_182443.jpg

Screenshot_20231224_182542_Soul EV Spy.jpg

The real issue the trip highlighted to me was the range is a huge problem, until the infrastructure is put in.
With my car as an example, if I wanted to go to Kalgoorlie and not worry about range, I would have to charge at Merredin as it is half way at about 300klm from Perth, or 300klm from Kal heading to Perth.
The only other fast charger is at Southern Cross, which is 400klm from Perth, or @00klm from Kal.
But that would mean that on a hot day it is a stretch either way and my car has a pretty good range.
So the main problem is, as was shown today, I would have about 30% charge left, so would need to put in 50% to get comfortably to Kal or Perth.
Therein lies the problem there is only two outlets at each place and hundreds of cars travel from Perth to Kal each day, how long would you have to wait, if only 50 a day are EV's and need to put in 50% charge, even if it only takes 30 minutes that is only 4 cars per hour. ;)

The real issue the trip highlighted to me was the range is a huge problem, until the infrastructure is put in.
With my car as an example, if I wanted to go to Kalgoorlie and not worry about range, I would have to charge at Merredin as it is half way at about 300klm from Perth, or 300klm from Kal heading to Perth.
The only other fast charger is at Southern Cross, which is 400klm from Perth, or @00klm from Kal.
But that would mean that on a hot day it is a stretch either way and my car has a pretty good range.
So the main problem is, as was shown today, I would have about 30% charge left, so would need to put in 50% to get comfortably to Kal or Perth.
Therein lies the problem there is only two outlets at each place and hundreds of cars travel from Perth to Kal each day, how long would you have to wait, if only 50 a day are EV's and need to put in 50% charge, even if it only takes 30 minutes that is only 4 cars per hour. ;)
and i suspect that issue is not confined to WA , inside Victoria it may not be a problem , but the other states it may be ( on very hot or cold days )

Have faith in our capitalist system, if there is a charger that ends up being used some where near 80% of its capacity, that charger will be making loads of money for its owner. At that point other capitalists will want some of that pie and built competing chargers. But there is not much profit in building infrastructure too far ahead of the curve. There is balance where a certain amount of demand triggers new supply, but until that demand comes the supply will be limited.

So we are going to go a while congestion is a thing at certain times, but that will trigger more supply.

And what if the charging station at wherever in the middle of a longish trip is not working what happens then?????
you go to another one, just like you would for a petrol car.

But with the Tesla charging network the car gets told which ones are busy and if they are out of order and direct you to the best one.

you go to another one, just like you would for a petrol car.

But with the Tesla charging network the car gets told which ones are busy and if they are out of order and direct you to the best one.
I was more thinking of out in the rural areas where there may only be one outlet and if it is non functioning what then.
Metro areas entirely different.

Have faith in our capitalist system, if there is a charger that ends up being used some where near 80% of its capacity, that charger will be making loads of money for its owner. At that point other capitalists will want some of that pie and built competing chargers. But there is not much profit in building infrastructure too far ahead of the curve. There is balance where a certain amount of demand triggers new supply, but until that demand comes the supply will be limited.

So we are going to go a while congestion is a thing at certain times, but that will trigger more supply.
i like that you are optimistic ( about the capitalist system ) but it seems for every new entrepreneur there are three new regulations

council will demand new facilities for charging stations , say a toilet block and a garbage service , while state government will want an upfront fee/lease for the extra power infrastructure

remember the governments are driving this fake panic , they had more than 20 years to have this grow organically , and did nothing other than electioneer , all they had to do was introduce EVs in to their own government fleets to create a base demand in Australia , and the rest would have followed at a sensible pace