• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I read the article from the conversation, and the quote from the article that says 80% of new vehicles sold in Canada has a link to exactly the same wesbite that i quoted. Given that the website only distinguishes between Passenger cars and Trucks (including crossovers , SUV's etc), I don't think the statement is accurate. The conversation article has lumped everything non passenger as an SUV, which is obviously wrong.
Just to get a clearer picture of what the Canadians are up against, according to Driving CA , the best selling EV in 2022 was the Tesla Model 3 at 10,922. cgevvy bolt was next at 5,674 and third comes the Kona at 5,352. Of those, the Kona is the first crossover in the list. the top ten EV sales amounted to barely 35 thousand vehicles.
The Top veicle overall, the F series pickup , was 114,00 and the top 4 in overall sales, all pickup trucks, totalled over 300,000.
That is a large mountain to climb.
Mick
One article lumps the two together but the other article I linked shows that 56% of new car sales are SUV’s (inc crossovers). That’s why I wrote 56%.

The point I am trying to getting across, is that although pickups are the largest selling by model, they are not the largest category in either the USA or Canada.

As you stated, only 300,000 pickups were sold against 1,4000,000 other vehicles.

Is it big ask to convert majority of sales to electric? Yes.

But is it impossible? No, especially because the rate of electric sales is growing at quite a large compounded rate. Tesla alone will sell 1,800,000 this year themselves.

It will be interesting to see if there is a public backlash
When I read about people trapped in snow drifts for 3 days with the engine just idling to keep the car warm it does raise the question how long would the battery keep the car warm

Obviously it does not need to be using power to move but heaters can use a lot of power as well.

The other problem is that large pickups don't bog in snow like smaller cars do, much the same as in our outback.

When you hit a bull dust hole you need high clearance to keep momentum to plough through the hole, if the cab floor bottoms out then you are in trouble

I read the article from the conversation, and the quote from the article that says 80% of new vehicles sold in Canada has a link to exactly the same wesbite that i quoted. Given that the website only distinguishes between Passenger cars and Trucks (including crossovers , SUV's etc), I don't think the statement is accurate. The conversation article has lumped everything non passenger as an SUV, which is obviously wrong.
Just to get a clearer picture of what the Canadians are up against, according to Driving CA , the best selling EV in 2022 was the Tesla Model 3 at 10,922. cgevvy bolt was next at 5,674 and third comes the Kona at 5,352. Of those, the Kona is the first crossover in the list. the top ten EV sales amounted to barely 35 thousand vehicles.
The Top veicle overall, the F series pickup , was 114,00 and the top 4 in overall sales, all pickup trucks, totalled over 300,000.
That is a large mountain to climb.
Mick

I think that the Canadian government is looking to gently push the market, with “light-duty vehicle sales be electric over a nine-year timeline.”

Nine years is a long time in vehicle production and development, by pushing consumers of light vehicles to purchase EVs it allows manufacturers time to develop ramp up other technologies.

I think that investments in the EV industry may be about to pay off.

Nearly half of new passenger cars in EU electrified

Sales of electric cars in the European Union were almost half of all new passenger car registrations in the EU between January and November 2023 and already crossed the halfway mark in the month of November alone, data showed on Wednesday.

Electrified vehicles - either fully electric models, plug-in hybrids or full hybrids - accounted for over 47.6% of all new passenger car registrations in the EU as of November, up from 43% in the same period last year, the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) said.

New-car registrations in the EU increased 6.7% in November, the 16th consecutive month of growth, with a year-on-year rise of 13.3% in the registration of electric vehicles. Petrol car registrations grew by 4.2%, while diesel dropped by 10.3%, the data showed.

Registrations of fully electric cars rose 16.4% from a year earlier, to 144,378 vehicles, even as registrations in Germany, the biggest EV market in Europe, fell by 22.5% to 44,942 vehicles.

In the electrified market, consumers continued to prefer hybrid-electric vehicles, with a year-on-year surge of 28.7%, while demand for plug-in hybrids declined by 22.1%.

Registrations of hybrid-electric cars in Germany, France and Italy were over 1.5 million vehicles year-to-date out of almost 2.5 million total vehicles in the EU.

Despite the rise of electric vehicles, the ACEA said earlier in December that in Europe the EV sector risks falling behind other regions' EV sectors without a robust EU industrial strategy, amid China's dominance of the supply chain and U.S. incentives for its automakers.
Some car makers and analysts have also cited a plateau in demand for electric vehicles over the past months. Europe's largest car maker, Volkswagen, said in October that demand for EVs was not developing as expected, while luxury vehicle maker Mercedes-Benz warned of a "brutal" EV market of heavy price cuts and supply-chain issues.

Registrations at Volkswagen and Renault rose by 11.4% and 6.1%, respectively, in November, while registrations dropped by 7.3% for Stellantis, the ACEA said.

Elon Musk's electric car company, Tesla, recorded a jump of almost 45% in the same month, making up nearly 22% of fully electric car registrations in the EU.

The number of new vehicles registered in November in the EU, Britain and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) grew by 6% to 1.08 million vehicles, the ACEA said.

Its a useful idea, but not convinced its all that practical.
The article mentions the higher cost of installing an inductive charger which is a negatoive.
But inductive charging also is less efficient and generates a lot more waste heat, which is probably not good for the batteries, plus it will require a lot more energy input to get the same useful output.
This article highlights the issues with phones where the proximity of the batteries to the inductive charger is in close proximity.
If the batteries are further from the inductor charger, which would be the case with a an inductive charger built into a garage floor, the losses are exponentially higher, thanks to inverse square law.
It is one of the reasons that embedding cables into roads to power electric vehicles was never seen to be practical.

Mick

You make a lot of sense, especially on the efficiency side.

The GMC electric silverado has been released and this bloke is pretty happy with it.
Rates it better than the Ford and Rivian products.
The range of 450 miles (or 720 kms) is really significant, as is the charging speed.
Need to wait for some towing figures to see its real output, but looks pretty good so far.
I also will await this guys test drives of a cybertruck.

Well it will be interesting tomorrow, heading down to the sons place with a full car of people, hot day, so AC running.
Let's see how accurate the GOM (guesso meter is with range), I'm hoping to get down and back on the charge, it will have about 50/50 flat running/hills and be about 300-350km round trip.
The car is 1 year old and 100% charged, it reckons I can get 521km, but that is just a guess on its part.🤞

20231223_130059.jpg

Well it will be interesting tomorrow, heading down to the sons place with a full car of people, hot day, so AC running.
Let's see how accurate the GOM (guesso meter is with range), I'm hoping to get down and back on the charge, it will have about 50/50 flat running/hills and be about 300-350km round trip.
The car is 1 year old and 100% charged, it reckons I can get 521km, but that is just a guess on its part.🤞
Have you ever run it right down to nearly Zero?
I got quite a shock when in the BYD the remaining charge went from 10% to zero in a very short time, had 35 kms left and 18 km to run.
Car died 1km from home.
No warning, no limping, just went dead.
Have never let it get below 15% since.
Cue the Tesla drivers to tell us how good the Teslas are.
Mick

I got quite a shock when in the BYD the remaining charge went from 10% to zero in a very short time, had 35 kms left and 18 km to run.
Car died 1km from home.
Mick
@mullokintyre From this it would be handy to have Fred Flintstone on standby to do a bit of flat foot peddling.

Last edited:
Car died 1km from home.
Mick
No I'm from the old school of outback travel, "happiness is a full tank", sort of guy.
I think the lowest I've seen is 40%, when I went over to Wickepin to see the younger son, so this will be a good test.

I'm taking the MIL, so it will really depend on what the reading is when I get to the sons place, and how much charge is left.
If it looks like it will be close I will chicken out, the last thing I need is a wife and the MIL hanging off my ear at the side of the road waiting for a tilt tray truck, stuff that for a game of soldiers.

There is a fast charger in Collie and one in Harvey, so discretion will be the better part of valour, I'm not as brave as you. :cool:
10% jeezuz you're brave.:roflmao:

I'm guessing 400km is safe, but as it will be pretty well the same trip both ways, I should know by Collie if it will get back. I've never had a full load of 5 passengers on a highway run though.
I'll post up the result tomorrow avo,unless it is too embarrassing.🤣

No I'm from the old school of outback travel, "happiness is a full tank", sort of guy.
I think the lowest I've seen is 40%, when I went over to Wickepin to see the younger son, so this will be a good test.

I'm taking the MIL, so it will really depend on what the reading is when I get to the sons place, and how much charge is left.
If it looks like it will be close I will chicken out, the last thing I need is a wife and the MIL hanging off my ear at the side of the road waiting for a tilt tray truck, stuff that for a game of soldiers.

There is a fast charger in Collie and one in Harvey, so discretion will be the better part of valour, I'm not as brave as you. :cool:

I'm guessing 400km is safe, but as it will be pretty well the same trip both ways, I should know by Collie if it will get back. I've never had a full load of 5 passengers on a highway run though.
Oh happy days. We will wait with a bated breath to hear your report

Make sure you don't indulge in EV charging rage OK? As this article says you got to be considerate and kind. Yeah right same as applies when there is only one parking spot left and two drivers vying for it.

Make sure you don't indulge in EV charging rage OK? As this article says you got to be considerate and kind. Yeah right same as applies when there is only one parking spot left and two drivers vying for it.

When it comes to parking lot spaces only the quick and the dead, or who has a bigger or older vehicle. I love taking my work ute into the parking arena, who is going to argue with it.

Yes I bought the EV I did mainly due to range considerations, the last thing I need in my life is a fight over a charger, with someone rushing to get a fix. 🤣

After a bit over a year, I have a couple of observations.
I was told initially that Plugshare would be the most important APP on my phone.
ot only will it tell you where the charge points are, people will log in and say if they are being used.
Experience of arriving at a plugshare available charger has shown that only about half the users seem to log in at any time.
It is far better to cfind a potential charger, then check on the App that controls that particular charger to see if it is in use.
Secondly, the reliability factor of the charging points is problematical.
Once ahain, the Plugshare Ap may or may not show one or more of the chargers are out of action.
Once again you have to check with the ap that controls that charger.
Thirdly, some charge points while advertising they are fast chargers, 25, 50, 80 KWhr, the reality is that you only get that rate if you are the only one charging.
Last week I was happily charging at 88KWHr when two other EV's pulled in and the charge dropped to low 30KWhrs.
Does not happen with all, but quite a few do.
Four, EV drivers love to chat to other EV drivers about their cars.
Mick