• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
This was inevitable given the global trend. Will be interesting to see what happens with electricity producers given their plan to hike prices by 20-30% in H2 of 2023, prior to any EV announcement. ....
Yes there seems to be a massive convergence of issues with the power system over East, power stations closing down, demand increasing and replacement generation and HV transmission lacking, hopefully there is a plan in place.
If not at some time in the future a massive amount of taxpayer money will have to be thrown at it, ramping up the uptake of E.V ownership will certainly bring it to a head.

My revhead passion is waning fast. Everyone has wanted instant torque from twin turbos, superchargers, four valves per cylinder, lightened drivechain components, big motor in a light car etc., but nothing is as good as an EV. Full torque from zero, no gears. Who would have believed it.
Elon is a miracle, producing what people want, super fast design, production, expansion, range, supercharging network and software that works like Apple did.
Just bad luck for other auto makers. Caught with their pants down.
I think this 30 second video sums up your feeling, and Joe Rogan is a car guy that has owned all sorts muscle cars.

This was inevitable given the global trend. Will be interesting to see what happens with electricity producers given their plan to hike prices by 20-30% in H2 of 2023, prior to any EV announcement. ....
I think the key will be to convince consumers to charge at night, and in the middle of the day, if we can do that and maybe even have charging controlled by the grid, EV’s could actually lower prices, by maximising utilisation rates on assets whos costs are largely fixed.

More solar panels on house roofs coming??

You ain't gonna like this

I attended an educational night on turbo diesel for SUV and light commercials on Wednesday night, hosted by a prominent national supplier of replacement turbo kits. Looks like they’re doing a booming business, and reckons EVs won’t get to parity with diesel vehicles for at least 20 years.

In the meantime, owners of turbo diesel vehicles will be paying to maintain & replace parts on their vehicles.

A lot of the modern diesel vehicle manufacturers require the fuel injectors to be replaced at 150,000km, But they don’t advertise that. Instead the engines run around with leaky injectors and poor spray patterns, causing gunk to build up in sumps and clogging the oil gallery’s causing turbo failure.

The gent was saying that 15,000km oil changes were too long, causing all sorts of issues that go undetected. Like gradual loss of compression, increased clearance caused by wear, high emissions through the exhaust. 5000km oil changes was his recommendation.

Showed us photos of all sorts of damage done by oil contamination.

Booming times coming for the auto parts industry. I’ve owned Burson shares for a while now, might have to top up.

no one serious / technically educated can currently pretend that an EV produces less CO2 than a comparable ICE diesel on its lifetime .
There was a very recent EU study release which confirmed this shocking assumption
unless you compare a leaf and a landcruiser...
especially in the US or Australia..
Results were :Germany reaches kind of same same in a car lifetime while pure hydro countries like iceland can be the few places where it would produce less co2 overall.
So are EVs bad, no, not more than are iphone, etc;
EVs are great but expensive technology, can free us from oil..not coal..oil which can remove us from middle east dependencies..not that it should matter here with the amount of gas we have.
EVs also delocalise pollution and change dependencies
so your smokestacks are in China, in the countryside power stations, in mines in Chile, not in CBDs.
So if you want a toy, have fun and have the extra money or want to pay upfront (retirees?) with lower ongoing costs especially if charging from own solar..whose costs (inverters and panels) are usually conveniently forgotten.
If you want to save the planet, drive a small i10, 3 cylinders ICE or small hybrids.
So my view is: be reassured, CO2 is NOT an issue and does not cause global warming..what an heresy..., so feel free to buy an EV..for fun

I attended an educational night on turbo diesel for SUV and light commercials on Wednesday night, hosted by a prominent national supplier of replacement turbo kits. Looks like they’re doing a booming business, and reckons EVs won’t get to parity with diesel vehicles for at least 20 years.

In the meantime, owners of turbo diesel vehicles will be paying to maintain & replace parts on their vehicles.

A lot of the modern diesel vehicle manufacturers require the fuel injectors to be replaced at 150,000km, But they don’t advertise that. Instead the engines run around with leaky injectors and poor spray patterns, causing gunk to build up in sumps and clogging the oil gallery’s causing turbo failure.

The gent was saying that 15,000km oil changes were too long, causing all sorts of issues that go undetected. Like gradual loss of compression, increased clearance caused by wear, high emissions through the exhaust. 5000km oil changes was his recommendation.

Showed us photos of all sorts of damage done by oil contamination.

Booming times coming for the auto parts industry. I’ve owned Burson shares for a while now, might have to top up.
Well the vid was about gr
no one serious / technically educated can currently pretend that an EV produces less CO2 than a comparable ICE diesel on its lifetime .
There was a very recent EU study release which confirmed this shocking assumption
Results were :Germany reaches kind of same same in a car lifetime while pure hydro countries like iceland can be the few places where it would produce less co2 overall.
EVs are great but expensive technology, can free us from oil..not coal..oil which can remove us from middle east dependencies..not that it should matter here with the amount of gas we have.
so your smokestacks are in China, in the countryside power stations, in mines in Chile, not in CBDs.
So if you want a toy, have fun and have the extra money or want to pay upfront (retirees?) with lower ongoing costs especially if charging from own solar..whose costs (inverters and panels) are usually conveniently forgotten.
If you want to save the planet, drive a small i10, 3 cylinders ICE or small hybrids.
So my view is: be reassured, CO2 is NOT an issue and does not cause global warming..what an heresy..., so feel free to buy an EV..for fun
Agree on all points.

If i ever buy an EV, it will be because it goes from 0-100 in 3 seconds, not for virtue signalling.

Well the vid was about gr
Agree on all points.

If i ever buy an EV, it will be because it goes from 0-100 in 3 seconds, not for virtue signalling.
my reason would be: the fun drive, and the self sufficiency side as we are heading to a fully off grid new place, would be nice to be fully self sufficient for the local travels..
But even that does not make economical sense, just in case we have an oil embargo or a terrifying crisis:
would i want to be the only one driving around if China is in Darwin or Australia in economic locked down ..the EV would probably remain parked in its garage while I would be manning the sand bagged home checkpoint ;-)
So unless we get very lucky with current property sale..may not happen yet..the lady is not keen at all

I have trouble finding that last study I mentioned,as would be fair to put the link
I read the reference in a french article and followed it at the time..was comparing EV vs ICE between different EU countries..anyway, it exists

Ford appear to have copied the Tesla self immolation trick.
From CNBC
DEARBORN, Mich. — New video footage of a fire involving a Ford F-150 Lightning this year highlights a growing concern around electric vehicles: volatile fires from the batteries that power them.

The previously unreleased footage, which CNBC obtained through Michigan’s Freedom of Information Act from the Dearborn Police Department, shows smoke billowing from three tightly packed electric pickups in a Ford Motor holding lot in Dearborn, Michigan.
1682117066782.png

Moments later, flames shoot several feet above the vehicles, which were unoccupied. It wasn’t clear based on public documents and police video how long the fires burned. Experts say EV fires can take hours, rather than minutes, to extinguish.

EV fires have become a growing concern as automakers push to increase sales of electric vehicles and meet tightening emissions standards.
It may explain the halting of production of the F150 late in February.
Mick

CATL have started the Lithium battery replacement meme with the announcement that Chery vehicles have signed a deal with CATL to install Sodium Ion batteries in their cars.
From The Driven
Chinese battery giant CATL has signed a new partnership with car maker Chery that will deliver, for the first time, sodium-ion batteries for electric vehicles.
CATL unveiled its sodium-ion batteries back in July 2021, but this will be the first time they are being used in EVs, according to local reports. Designed to combat an increasingly expensive resource supply bottleneck, the sodium-ion batteries were also promised to achieve energy density in excess of 200Wh/kg.
CATL has made no official announcement save for a brief Tweet, and Chery’s press announcement to journalists focused more on the wider strategic cooperation between the two companies, which will entail “all-round cooperation in various fields, such as products, commerce, and market promotion.
But with sodium-ion batteries promising up to 50% cost savings thanks to the more available materials needed and offering a range of up to 400 kilometres, this partnership could serve as an important step for the EV industry.
Additionally, CATL has made mention in the past of pairing traditional lithium-ion battery packs with sodium-ion batteries thanks to its AB battery system integration technology, which has supposedly the ability to support EV ranges up to 500km.
The good news for Australians is that Chery considers the country a “hub for sea-land-air transportation and communication in Oceania, as well as a strategic market which Chery Automobile attaches great importance to.”
As such, according to Chery, they are continuing to develop their presence in Australia and “will introduce more new energy technologies and achievements into the Australian market so as to provide more green and environmental travel solutions for the local consumers.”
Perhaps it may be time to get out of lithium stocks??
Mick

eyJpdSI6IjBiN2VmY2Q2ZTJmZTczNTMzNTkzMTY0OTE5ZWNhZTAxYWNjMzAyMTcwOTI3MjViZWI2OWZjYTMwMDRlMTQzNjgiLCJ3IjozMDAsImgiOjIwMCwiZCI6MS41LCJjcyI6MCwiZiI6NH0.webp

Ford appear to have copied the Tesla self immolation trick.
From CNBC

It may explain the halting of production of the F150 late in February.
Mick
Nothing New, petrol F150 catch fire all the time, this poor chap was just transporting his on a truck, and spontaneously combusted taking all the other cars with it.

IMG_7948.jpeg

Except your statement isn’t true, it takes only about 20,000 kms before an EV over takes a petrol or diesel in environmental benefits, less if you take into consideration the recycling of the battery and use of higher levels of renewable fuel such as home solar.

Petrol cars also have lots of smoke stacks over seas, think of all the oil refinery emissions and shipping, your diesel doesn’t magically appear at the fuel bowser.

That’s an issue with the cynics such as your self, you want to only think of your diesel emissions coming from the 50 Litres of diesel you pump in, but you want to calculate every part of manufacturing of the EV.

Think of all the emissions that goes into bringing your diesel from the oil well to the pump. Eg stray C02 emissions from well, emissions from transport trucks and oil tankers, huge energy losses during refining.

In fact your diesel uses almost as much electricity as an EV, when you consider all the electricity used in just moving your oil around and refining it, BP say 30% of their refining emissions come from the electricity they buy from the grid.

Last edited:

You ain’t gonna like this.

Here is a more to the point, and shorter comparison, well worth the watch if you want to see how much energy goes into your diesel and petrol, including alot of electricity.

Rode around Banff on this Electric Bus today, much quieter than the diesels, and less Smokey, given that Canada’s grid is mostly hydro powered it’s super clean.

IMG_4536.jpeg

Rode around Banff on this Electric Bus today, much quieter than the diesels, and less Smokey, given that Canada’s grid is mostly hydro powered it’s super clean.

View attachment 156147
We saw on the TV nes last night that Perth has invested in electric buses, certainly the way to go. As long as the charging station has panels to produce some of the power.