• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I think you are spot on, my son offloaded his RX2 coupe for exactly the same reason, also cars for a cause are raffling collectable cars at a hell of a rate these days.
There is also the phenomenon of “peak nostalgia”, guys in there 50’s and 60’s might pay up big for their dream car, but once they start to hit late 70’s the are looking to sell them, and the market for the cars that are nostalgic to that generation is drying up, so prices collapse.

Maybe retitle this thread Electric Vehicles rather than cars so that we can look at electric transport generally.
That way this link makes sense as it shows an autonomous bus in operations (first 5 minutes only):

Given we have lots of dedicated busways in metro Brisbane, these autonomous buses would be a relatively simple fit.
Clearly negotiating general traffic is a step up, but if Tesla can get there then the technology can't be too far off.

My wife and I notched up a new experience, driving on the Easter long weekend from Adelaide to Sorrento. We usually stay home for Easter. It has been a long time since we have seen the roads so busy, especially the road heading towards SA, there hardly seemed a gap between cars and trucks with Vic number plates.

I saw a petrol station with cars lined up onto the street waiting to get fuel. Why I could not answer, because there are plenty of fueling stations and prices haven't really changed. Maybe the service is extraordinary.

There was once a thing called the 'Tesla wave'. Tesla's were so few and far between when a fellow Tesla driver saw another, they would wave at each other. This long weekend I saw so many Tesla's that if I bothered to wave, I would have a sore arm. Which brings me to my new experience.

I always stop at the Horsham Tesla Super charger station, which is only 3 bays, and I have always found at least one or two bays empty. On Good Friday at 12:30pm I found them all full, 4 or 5 Tesla's waiting their turn in front of me and as I waited I watched more Tesla's turning up. Some parked to wait their turn, while others drove off, including three that were in front of me and helping reduce my wait time to about 35 minutes.

What I thought would take a few more years has come early, the ownership of EVs has increased at significant pace and owners are not afraid to drive them across regional areas.

The Tesla algorithm helps by assessing and recommending charging locations and time required so cars can move along quickly. It works well but would be magnificent if other brand charging stations could be linked so that the load can be shared. There are apps like PlugShare that help locate charging locations, but it is an agricultural hammer in a world that requires finesse and brains.

The first Tesla recommended stop was hardly worth it, just a 10-minute top up charge, I still had plenty of juice to travel to my usual stop but when I drove past that usual stop I saw why, the stations were full and people waiting.

With the next stop there was no choice, Horsham has a three bay supercharger Tesla station d is a busy thoroughfare for travelers but when it was installed there wasn't a lot of EVs on the road. My wait was 30 minutes for a Tesla recommended 20-minute charge to get to the next station. If everyone charged to 100% the wait would be excruciating, and I wonder if that was happening at the RACV station used by other EV brands. I was told that the RACV station has 6 bays, but the lineup was longer and slower than the Tesla station.

Next recommended stop was Richmond, normally Ballarat would be the better stop, but I presume that the Ballarat chargers were extremely busy, and the algorithm decided that Richmond a better solution for me. Richmond was a little off the track, but I did end up having an enjoyable time at the Prince Alfred Hotel while the Tesla charged.

The chargers our hotel carpark was a bit confusing, but they worked, Charge Hub. Plug it in and a series of lights flash, buttons with icons that I could not interpret, I tried to download the app, but the carpark is built like a bunker and no signal can in or out, the station does have a Wi-Fi but pressing it gave nothing. After a few minutes I gave up and was about to walk away when I saw that the car was charging. The charging was free all weekend, it just doesn't highlight that for you.

Three days later we left and headed in the same direction, but this time the Tesla nav told us to stop at Ballarat, which had plenty of empty bays.

Onto Horsham and again very busy, maybe slightly busier than our previous stop. Horsham seems to be the bottleneck, too few stations for the large number of EVs in the town and passing through.

We drove 1600km for a cost of $143, the drive took us about an hour and half longer, each way, than it should have. The drive experience is excellent using Auto Pilot to assist, it allows for a more relaxed drive because it is doing part of the observation of surrounding areas, braking, steering, acceleration.

Would I do it again? Yes, but maybe not during a major public holiday like Easter.

B810BCEE-7147-46D0-A844-16BC60F68814.jpeg
EEF05E3D-2957-4C98-A3B1-CD8997BC00B3.jpeg
A8D265D4-02D4-4579-B1B1-6149E641F6C5.jpeg

398578F9-1B4A-4F14-B8EC-9D9906F32105.jpeg

A93F01F1-186A-4CB3-963D-A1F124541DF0.jpeg

Attachments

• E80696F8-66BB-4C63-8CC7-887B7806E32A.jpeg
    E80696F8-66BB-4C63-8CC7-887B7806E32A.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
RAM trucks have announced am electric version of their "ute".
From The Driven
Ram Trucks has unveiled its first battery electric (BEV) light-duty pickup truck (or a ute, as we would call it in Australia), the Ram 1500 REV.
The massive vehicle is available in two battery options, including a 229kWh battery with a targeted range of 800 kilometres, and claims to have the best combination of range, towing, payload, and charge time.
The Ram 1500 REV will be capable of towing up to 7 tonnes and a payload of up to 1.2 tonnes, and the truck will also be able to add 180km of charge in only 10 minutes with 800V DC fast charging at up to 350kW.
Built on the new STLA Frame body-on-frame architecture designed by parent company Stellantis, the RAM 1500 REV will come standard with a 168kWh battery with a targeted range of 560km.
The optional 229kWh battery pack will deliver a range of up to 800km.
Ram Trucks is also promising an all-new Ram 1500 REV XR with a “class-shattering range” which is set to follow after the introduction of the standard Ram 1500 REV.
We might at last see a serious caravan capable electric tow vehicle with a decent range.
800km is the same as a bog standard Ford Ranger 4wd ute, which are popular among the caravan towing fraternity.
Scheduled for some time in 2024 , one can only hope it does not take as long as the much touted tesla Cyber truck.
Ram trucks are brought to OZ in LHD livery, and converted at some cost to RHD by the likes of Trucks'n'toys, Auto group International, as well as a few others.
Mick

RAM trucks have announced am electric version of their "ute".
From The Driven

We might at last see a serious caravan capable electric tow vehicle with a decent range.
800km is the same as a bog standard Ford Ranger 4wd ute, which are popular among the caravan towing fraternity.
Scheduled for some time in 2024 , one can only hope it does not take as long as the much touted tesla Cyber truck.
Ram trucks are brought to OZ in LHD livery, and converted at some cost to RHD by the likes of Trucks'n'toys, Auto group International, as well as a few others.
Mick
imagine the weight of these monsters with lithium batteries..6t???

probably in the 6t range, a pure car ute bus crusher not to forget power poles or pedestrians/cyclists or biker.
They will kill you but save the planet ;-)
so weight will be above 10000 pounds

They will kill you but save the planet ;-)
I really don't see the logic in this sort of vehicle for commuter use in the first place.

There'd be situations where it's of practical value and I accept that but as a passenger car for city use it's a crazy idea in my view no matter how it's powered. :2twocents

My wife and I notched up a new experience, driving on the Easter long weekend from Adelaide to Sorrento. We usually stay home for Easter. It has been a long time since we have seen the roads so busy, especially the road heading towards SA, there hardly seemed a gap between cars and trucks with Vic number plates.

I saw a petrol station with cars lined up onto the street waiting to get fuel. Why I could not answer, because there are plenty of fueling stations and prices haven't really changed. Maybe the service is extraordinary.

There was once a thing called the 'Tesla wave'. Tesla's were so few and far between when a fellow Tesla driver saw another, they would wave at each other. This long weekend I saw so many Tesla's that if I bothered to wave, I would have a sore arm. Which brings me to my new experience.

I always stop at the Horsham Tesla Super charger station, which is only 3 bays, and I have always found at least one or two bays empty. On Good Friday at 12:30pm I found them all full, 4 or 5 Tesla's waiting their turn in front of me and as I waited I watched more Tesla's turning up. Some parked to wait their turn, while others drove off, including three that were in front of me and helping reduce my wait time to about 35 minutes.

What I thought would take a few more years has come early, the ownership of EVs has increased at significant pace and owners are not afraid to drive them across regional areas.

The Tesla algorithm helps by assessing and recommending charging locations and time required so cars can move along quickly. It works well but would be magnificent if other brand charging stations could be linked so that the load can be shared. There are apps like PlugShare that help locate charging locations, but it is an agricultural hammer in a world that requires finesse and brains.

The first Tesla recommended stop was hardly worth it, just a 10-minute top up charge, I still had plenty of juice to travel to my usual stop but when I drove past that usual stop I saw why, the stations were full and people waiting.

With the next stop there was no choice, Horsham has a three bay supercharger Tesla station d is a busy thoroughfare for travelers but when it was installed there wasn't a lot of EVs on the road. My wait was 30 minutes for a Tesla recommended 20-minute charge to get to the next station. If everyone charged to 100% the wait would be excruciating, and I wonder if that was happening at the RACV station used by other EV brands. I was told that the RACV station has 6 bays, but the lineup was longer and slower than the Tesla station.

Next recommended stop was Richmond, normally Ballarat would be the better stop, but I presume that the Ballarat chargers were extremely busy, and the algorithm decided that Richmond a better solution for me. Richmond was a little off the track, but I did end up having an enjoyable time at the Prince Alfred Hotel while the Tesla charged.

The chargers our hotel carpark was a bit confusing, but they worked, Charge Hub. Plug it in and a series of lights flash, buttons with icons that I could not interpret, I tried to download the app, but the carpark is built like a bunker and no signal can in or out, the station does have a Wi-Fi but pressing it gave nothing. After a few minutes I gave up and was about to walk away when I saw that the car was charging. The charging was free all weekend, it just doesn't highlight that for you.

Three days later we left and headed in the same direction, but this time the Tesla nav told us to stop at Ballarat, which had plenty of empty bays.

Onto Horsham and again very busy, maybe slightly busier than our previous stop. Horsham seems to be the bottleneck, too few stations for the large number of EVs in the town and passing through.

We drove 1600km for a cost of $143, the drive took us about an hour and half longer, each way, than it should have. The drive experience is excellent using Auto Pilot to assist, it allows for a more relaxed drive because it is doing part of the observation of surrounding areas, braking, steering, acceleration.

Would I do it again? Yes, but maybe not during a major public holiday like Easter.

View attachment 155629
View attachment 155630
View attachment 155631

View attachment 155632

View attachment 155633
I did the Sydney Brisbane trip 1 day outside the long weekend, no congestion at the chargers at all for me.

However I did notice the chargers all said they were full with 20min waits, however the wait had disappeared by the time I reached each charger, there must have been a group of Tesla travelling the same route as me just 2 hours down the road in front of me.

The most I saw at one charger was 3 cars on a 6 bay. But yeah I imagine on the actual Good Friday or Easter Monday the congestion would be real.

View attachment 155629
View attachment 155630
View attachment 155631

View attachment 155632

View attachment 155633
John D surely the ale was worth the effort

John D surely the ale was worth the effort

Whenever I travel, I look for craft brewers. They are usually away from expensive real-estate, and we end up in places that we wouldn't have seen and meet people that share new locations.

Red Hil Brewery was one such place, beautiful country that we would not have seen if it wasn't for me looking for a beer :)

Whenever I travel, I look for craft brewers. They are usually away from expensive real-estate, and we end up in places that we wouldn't have seen and meet people that share new locations.

Red Hil Brewery was one such place, beautiful country that we would not have seen if it wasn't for me looking for a beer :)

I gave up alcohol a few years ago so don't hunt for breweries any more, But the wife and I seek out vegan restaurants on our travels, which leads us on similar adventures into new areas and back streets and lanes we wouldn't normally travel.

It's nice to have a food and drink related hobby, especially one that a develops its own community :)

There is also the phenomenon of “peak nostalgia”, guys in there 50’s and 60’s might pay up big for their dream car, but once they start to hit late 70’s the are looking to sell them, and the market for the cars that are nostalgic to that generation is drying up, so prices collapse.
Yes collectables, including cars, are generation specific in a lot of cases. A friend of mine fully restored a 1931 Chevy tourer and used it as a wedding car for a while, when he came to sell it, he struggled to get $15k there was very little interest.

JohnDe got a good one in the Swan Valley. I bet WayneL knows this one.

JohnDe have a ripper in th Swan Valle. I bet that wayneL knows this one.

in a sign that things may not be going to plan at Ford, they have extended their shutdown of F150 Lightnings by another week.
from CNN Business
Ford has halted production of the top-selling electric pickup in America, the F-150 Lightning, because of a possible battery problem, the automaker confirmed Tuesday. The potential issue was discovered during the company's pre-delivery vehicles inspections, Ford spokesperson Emma Berg said.
The pause in production and delivery apparently does not apply to trucks that are already at dealerships ready to be delivered or to trucks already with customers. Ford did not provide any information about what the battery-related issue might be, its possible cause or potential consequences.
Ford has sold 18,000 Lightning pickups since production started in the spring of 2022.
Currently the best-seller in the category, the Lightning will face intense competition later this year when GM begins production of the Chevrolet Silverado EV. That truck will be joined early next year by GM's GMC Sierra EV. Tesla has said its Cybertruck will begin full production in 2024, following a number of delays. Stellantis is also supposed to begin production of the Ram 1500 Rev later next year, as well.
Last year, Ford created two separate business units within the company, one for internal combustion-powered vehicles called Ford Blue and the other for electric vehicles called Ford Model E. The F-150 truck is built at a factory near Ford's headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan outside Detroit.
The automaker has been investing heavily in battery production and recently announced a $3.5 billion investment in a new battery plant in Michigan that is supposed to begin production in 2026. The automaker is also building production facilities in Kentucky and Tennessee to build electric vehicle batteries and electric trucks.

Ford also recently announced it was cutting 11% of its workforce in Europe in part to prepare for the shift to electric vehicles there.
One of those "let go" in the US was Annie Liu, the director of Supply Chain at Ford.
From Detroit News
She was lured from Tesla, but perhaps could not replicate teslas success.
Usual platitudes when someone is fired , more time with family lah blah.
Mick

Who still thinks that EVs are a fad?

All change

Everything about carmaking is changing at once. The industry must reinvent itself to keep pace, says Simon Wright

Going for a spin in the first car was a bother. The Benz Patent Motorwagen, which hit German roads in 1886, needed “stain remover” from a pharmacy for fuel, mechanical parts greased by hand, and oil and water tanks filled. Then you had to spin a large flywheel to start the engine, grasp the tiller that controlled the front wheel, and push forward the lever to engage a drive belt that set the vehicle in motion. Repeat the process every 10-15km when fuel and water ran out. Yet the freedom to travel by powering a carriage with an internal-combustion engine (ice) soon caught on.

A giant industry with annual revenues of nearly $3trn has grown to provide transport to the masses. Over 1bn cars heave passengers along the world’s roads. There were many pioneers beside the Germans. The French provided words like coupé, chauffeur and cabriolet. America developed mass-manufacturing with the Ford Model T in 1908 and then slick marketing in the 1950s. Japan invented ultra-reliability and just-in-time production. Europe set the mark for luxury, sophisticated engineering and new technologies such as antilock brakes and airbags.

The next phase of the industry’s history will be one in which tech-centric firms and the Chinese come to the fore. Elon Musk’s Tesla has kickstarted electric vehicles (evs) everywhere. China may be a newcomer but it is growing fast. Until the 1980s the country knocked out only a handful of cars such as the Hongqi limousine that whisked Mao Zedong between military parades and tractor factories. But a 40-year rise to economic superpowerdom has created a car industry to match. China overtook America as the world’s biggest market in 2009. Last year it passed Germany as the world’s second-largest exporter.

The emergence of Tesla and the Chinese as serious competitors reflects unprecedented upheaval in the industry. The obvious shift is electrification. Although a few carmakers are still trying hydrogen fuel cells, lithium-ion batteries have become the key technology. In 2022 around one new car in ten sold worldwide was a battery-powered electric vehicle (ev). Adding plug-in hybrids (phevs), which combine a smaller battery with an ice, and 13% of total sales, or around 10.5m vehicles, were electrified.

China accounts for 6.1m sales of what it calls new-energy vehicles (nevs and phevs). But Tesla is the world’s biggest ev-maker, selling 1.3m cars in 2022. China’s byd is second for battery-only cars and is way ahead when counting new-energy vehicles. Of the old guard Volkswagen Group (vw) is the boldest electrifier. Yet it is only in third place, with 570,000 ev sales, 7% of its total.

20230422_SRC437.png

Electrification is changing carmaking. The old brands have relied on the complexity and cost of ices to keep competitors at bay. Having to spend $1bn to develop an ice and another $1bn for the presses, paint shop and production lines to scale up a new firm to 150,000-200,000 units a year creates huge barriers to entry. It is little wonder that, from the second world war until Tesla’s arrival, new brands that made the transition to global significance were few and far between. Those that did, such as Toyota and Nissan in Japan and Hyundai-Kia in South Korea, leant on government support and protected home markets.
The relative simplicity of batteries and electric motors knocks down many of these barriers to entry. A host of startups in China (including Li Auto, Nio and Xpeng) and America (such as Fisker, Lordstown, Lucid and Rivian) are now following Tesla’s lead. Electrification has given a leg-up to China’s established carmakers, which were long kept from global markets by the big obstacle of icetech. China has cajoled state-owned and private companies to build a domestic evindustry partly so as to sidestep petrol power.

Congestion ahead​

The arrival of a clutch of new competitors will make a highly competitive industry even more so, not least because car sales may have already passed their peak. China’s eager buyers gave the market its biggest turbo-boost in decades. But the brakes are now on. Car sales fell over the three years starting in 2018, as a saturated market, a worsening economy and the impact of covid-19 all took their toll. Global car production also peaked, at around 73m passenger cars in 2017. Slowing Chinese demand has been compounded by a shortage of the chips that are liberally sprinkled around all modern vehicles. By 2022 global production of cars had fallen to around 62m.

20230422_SRC462.png

Forecasts vary widely, but future growth of car sales is likely to be sluggish at best. Pedro Pacheco of Gartner, a consultancy, reckons that sales will eventually return to 2019 levels but they will never go much higher. In a range of scenarios McKinsey, another consultancy, puts the annual number anywhere between 70m and 95m by 2035, but at the upper end most of the growth will be in emerging markets in Africa, India, Latin America and South-East Asia, where the bulk of demand will be for cheap cars. Europe and America have almost certainly peaked already and China is likely to do so soon. Even optimists see growth in China at barely 2.3% a year over the decade after 2019, compared with nearly 7% during the previous ten years.

Legacy carmakers face a big challenge since newcomers, especially the Chinese, are likely to have a clear advantage. Ola Kallenius, boss of Mercedes-Benz, does not underestimate the “monumental industrial task” of swapping drive trains and overturning 130 years of ice history but says that “what’s happening on the software side is bigger”. In the past car brands were defined by the adeptness of the mechanical engineering that went into their handling, their horsepower, the status of their bonnet badges and the satisfying “clunk” of closing the doors of a pricier car.

In future cars brands will be differentiated mainly by the experience of using them, which is now determined more by their software than their hardware. Software-defined vehicles, which nowadays resemble supercomputers on wheels, will have ever more features and functions such as infotainment, ambient lighting and voice controls, all improved by over-the-air (ota) updates after a vehicle has left the factory. That will open up new ways for the car producers to cash in.

Many established firms are looking jealously at Tesla, which claims to be a tech company that happens to make cars. From its roots in Silicon Valley, Tesla has gained a decisive lead in software. Yet in China Tesla is but one of several ev-makers. Chinese carmakers, startups and the tech companies they have joined up with are delivering experiences that far exceed what is available elsewhere. byd, Nio and Xpeng have all beaten Tesla to provide in-car karaoke microphones. Young Chinese who expect and even demand that their vehicles provide a seamless extension of their digital lifestyles are setting a course for the rest of the world.

The race to autonomous self-driving is also on. Though the road to fully autonomous cars is littered with obstacles, a more limited “hands-off” autonomy that takes over driving duties initially on motorways and eventually in some urban settings is close to commercial deployment. Carmakers are rethinking their involvement in ride-hailing and car sharing, with the big question over mobility becoming how best to monetise the use rather than the mere ownership of cars, triggering a rethink of car retailing.

A final test comes from new geopolitical tensions, notably between America and China. Rising tariffs, growing restrictions on tech transfers, a reshoring of supply chains and greater subsidies for home-grown manufacturing all threaten to halt or even reverse the process of globalisation. Carmakers will find adjusting to such a change especially challenging.

For legacy firms all this requires big change and re-engineering. They retain many advantages: skills in manufacturing, powerful brands and access to massive amounts of capital in an industry that eats through it. However, startups are not weighed down by the heavy legacy of siloed organisations that have for decades been dedicated to mechanical engineering and are encumbered by a complex portfolio of products that heap on costs. Not all legacy firms will survive the coming transformation.■

My revhead passion is waning fast. Everyone has wanted instant torque from twin turbos, superchargers, four valves per cylinder, lightened drivechain components, big motor in a light car etc., but nothing is as good as an EV. Full torque from zero, no gears. Who would have believed it.
Elon is a miracle, producing what people want, super fast design, production, expansion, range, supercharging network and software that works like Apple did.
Just bad luck for other auto makers. Caught with their pants down.

Here is one for the engineers and the sustainability group.
A micro EV that can be transported as a flat pack. Has 2 removable batteries that can be charged inside. Very intriguing construction model
Top speed 90kph. Range 100k. Multiple body styles. Just needs some nifty paint colours.

Swedish microcar maker Luvly wants to be the IKEA of tiny electric cars

fed75206463b070e0ed005dc8c95a?s=18&d=identicon&r=g.jpg Jameson Dow Apr 15 2023 - 3:32 am PT

24 Comments

Screenshot-2023-04-03-at-9.47.17-AM-e1680540504932.jpg

Luvly, a Swedish microcar company, is gearing up to produce a tiny, ultraefficient electric car for urban living – and distribute it around the world using a flat-pack shipping method, much like another famous Swedish brand.

Luvly derives its name from LUV, or “Light Urban Vehicle,” which really sets the tone for what they’re going after – small cars designed for city use.

Luvly’s first vehicle, the Luvly O, has specs intended to work perfectly for an urban dweller. Which is to say, those specs are not any more than what you need (or more than what European quadricycle regulations limit them to), combined into a cute, affordable, and convenient package.

The whole vehicle weighs just 380kg (837 pounds), about a fifth as much as the standard 4,000-pound passenger car (the Tesla Model 3 weighs around this much), resulting in lower manufacturing emissions. And its light weight means that it’s tremendously more efficient, with energy consumption on the order of 60Wh/km (96Wh/mi), about two to four times better than “full-size” electric cars.

This low energy consumption means the Luvly needs a smaller battery to get around, and the standard battery is just 6.4kWh. But that’s not the best part – the battery is two separate units, each weighing 15kg (33 pounds), and they are removable.

So, sure, you can plug in the car to charge it. But what if you park on the street and don’t have access to a charging point? Well, you can just take the battery with you into your apartment and charge it there. This might be harder if you’re carrying other things or live in a walk-up apartment or have reduced strength or mobility, but perhaps another carrying solution could be designed for people who need that.

This is an eye watering perspective -

Electric Vehicles: Defying The Skeptics With Exponential Growth

Investors once questioned whether the future was electric. Demand for EVs has scaled despite a pause in cost declines caused by commodity price shocks. Now investors doubt whether or not the growth will be exponential.

The debate around electric vehicles has shifted from demand to supply. Based on Wright’s Law, ARK forecasts that EV prices will decline and sales will increase more than 7-fold, or 50% at an annual rate, from roughly 7.8 million in 2022 to 60 million units in 2027.

The biggest downside risks to our forecast are supply constraints that could continue to impact pricing and the speed at which traditional automakers transition to electric vehicles. Listen in as Sam Korus, ARK Director of Research for Autonomous Technology and Robotics, explains more.

To enlighten investors on the long-term impact of innovation, we began publishing Big Ideas in 2017. This annual research report seeks to highlight the technological breakthroughs evolving today and creating the potential for super-exponential growth tomorrow.

We believe that innovation is taking off now, corroborating our original research and boosting our confidence that ARK’s strategies are on the right side of change. We hope you enjoy Big Ideas 2023!

Well it looks as though the way forward is becoming more clear, increase the cost of ICE cars and force the importation of more E.V's.
I hope there is a real ramp up of infrastructure to avoid any bottlenecks in the power network, so it will cost the taxpayer for the infrastructure or it will cost in the increase in ICE vehicle prices.
Interesting times.

The question for the government now is how hard to go, considering Australia is already playing catch up on cutting car emissions.

Most proposals suggest the government should either pursue a standard in line with the US, whose cars emit 20 per cent less than ours on average, or the EU, whose cars emit 40 per cent less.

A tougher standard would encourage faster take up of lower emission cars, but if it was too tough for car makers to meet they would potentially need to sell fewer cars overall to Australia or massively raise the price of certain cars instead.

Environment group Solar Citizens last month estimated that if Australia could introduce a fuel efficiency standard in line with Europe's it would "turbocharge" the growth of EVs here from about 40,000 registrations last year to more than 900,000 in five years.

Demand in Australia already outstrips supply, and even with wait lists to get an EV and the rising cost of living, EV sales so far this year have been more than double what they were over the same time last year.

Well it looks as though the way forward is becoming more clear, increase the cost of ICE cars and force the importation of more E.V's.
I hope there is a real ramp up of infrastructure to avoid any bottlenecks in the power network, so it will cost the taxpayer for the infrastructure or it will cost in the increase in ICE vehicle prices.
Interesting times.

The question for the government now is how hard to go, considering Australia is already playing catch up on cutting car emissions.

Most proposals suggest the government should either pursue a standard in line with the US, whose cars emit 20 per cent less than ours on average, or the EU, whose cars emit 40 per cent less.

A tougher standard would encourage faster take up of lower emission cars, but if it was too tough for car makers to meet they would potentially need to sell fewer cars overall to Australia or massively raise the price of certain cars instead.

Environment group Solar Citizens last month estimated that if Australia could introduce a fuel efficiency standard in line with Europe's it would "turbocharge" the growth of EVs here from about 40,000 registrations last year to more than 900,000 in five years.

Demand in Australia already outstrips supply, and even with wait lists to get an EV and the rising cost of living, EV sales so far this year have been more than double what they were over the same time last year.

This was inevitable given the global trend. Will be interesting to see what happens with electricity producers given their plan to hike prices by 20-30% in H2 of 2023, prior to any EV announcement. ....