• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
And this is a proper 'green' vehicle...
View attachment 154938

Unless you purchase new or near new, stay clear of BMWs.

They are great driving cars, handling is excellent, engines love to rev and sound sweet. However, when they get a few years past the warranty period the engine plastics start to fail, cooling systems leak, engine oil leaks, intake valves clog up. Which is not a problem for owners that enjoy spending money on their loved possessions.

Unless you purchase new or near new, stay clear of BMWs.

They are great driving cars, handling is excellent, engines love to rev and sound sweet. However, when they get a few years past the warranty period the engine plastics start to fail, cooling systems leak, engine oil leaks, intake valves clog up. Which is not a problem for owners that enjoy spending money on their loved possessions.
They are a nightmare for breaking down.

This is actually an issue that may cause problems. I keep holding off from buying evs as there are a multitude of things that can still unfold from here.
In what way is it an issue? I mean the owners will get paid out for their car either way.

If it’s from an environmental perspective that you are worried about, the article says it’s mainly older cars, so their lower emissions and energy use may have already offset the loss.

Also, only a small percentage of cars get written off in accidents, and some of these go on to be restored by third parties anyway, or their components reused.

Also, even if a battery is written off and not reused, they will be recycled. But like any new tech, I see these as nothing more than minor teething issues that the media like to play up for clicks.

In what way is it an issue? I mean the owners will get paid out for their car either way.

If it’s from an environmental perspective that you are worried about, the article says it’s mainly older cars, so their lower emissions and energy use may have already offset the loss.

Also, only a small percentage of cars get written off in accidents, and some of these go on to be restored by third parties anyway, or their components reused.

Also, even if a battery is written off and not reused, they will be recycled. But like any new tech, I see these as nothing more than minor teething issues that the media like to play up for clicks.
Insurance premiums.
I want to buy one for my parents.
I'd rather see issues thrashed out first. Not interested in being an early adopter

Insurance premiums.
I want to buy one for my parents.
I'd rather see issues thrashed out first. Not interested in being an early adopter
I'm a bit the same as you, but being retired and getting on a bit, I don't have the luxury of time on my side.
So I bought one and I expect in about five years, to give it to the daughter and buy whatever is suits me then.
The one thing your parents will like, is not having to put fuel in, I didn't think it would be a big deal but it really is the best thing about the car from my perspective.
As I've said before, I'm not sure I would be sold on them if I was travelling to work every day, but being retired it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Unless there have been two fires, it may be becuase its old news, happened back in July Last yar.
Truck and Bus News
Mick
I was the third party to a phone disscussion between two diesel mechanics deep in the logging truck business and as was their want, with regard electric trucks much preferred to talk about the old fire you've refferenced in the present tense.
So my bad on that and apologises to those who 'ran for the doors' on electric truck investments.

terrible thing when old old stale 'news' gets trotted out to amplify prejudice; gets it all out of context. I mean six odd months is bad enough, what if had been five years or more? ....what do rekon mulligan?

terrible thing when old old stale 'news' gets trotted out to amplify prejudice; gets it all out of context. I mean six odd months is bad enough, what if had been five years or more? ....what do rekon mulligan
In that case, I reckon I will be even more diligent in checking your prejudices from now on.
Mick

As I've said before, I'm not sure I would be sold on them if I was travelling to work every day, but being retired it is the best thing since sliced bread.

I don’t know about that, I couldn’t imagine a better car to commute to work in, especially if you have less than 250kms round trip and can charge at home.

The more Km’s you do each week the more you would appreciate, the EV I reckon.

I don’t know about that, I couldn’t imagine a better car to commute to work in, especially if you have less than 250kms round trip and can charge at home.

The more Km’s you do each week the more you would appreciate, the EV I reckon.
That may be the case over East and where they are main stream and the infrastructure is in place, over here in the West that isn't the case.
I went to Bunbury from Mandurah on Friday and it wasn't a problem, I got home with 207km to spare, when I left Mandurah it said I had 497km on a full charge, I did 225km you do the maths.
If as happens in W.A you have to do long distances, I really wouldn't be sleeping easy, I'm not saying they aren't great, I'm saying the infrastructure isn't.
There are a hell of a lot of E.V's that don't get the range I get, and I don't have to be anywhere in a hurry, all I'm saying is, if I wasn't in that situation it wouldn't be my choice of car.
Just trying to be honest and objective, rather than emotional, invested and subjective. :xyxthumbs
Take for example if I decided to go my sons place in Mumballup from Perth and say ok I will just pick up a fast charge in Harvey on the way back, it's a nice quiet country town off the beaten track no problems, check Chargefox it is dead.
There isn't anywhere within cooee of Harvey that a medium range E.V is going to get to.
Same going down the Albany Highway, from Perth to the major Southern city, 450km no problem pick up a charge in Kojonup about 270km, sorry not working, $hits are trumps. ?

Last edited:
….I'm not sure I would be sold on them if I was travelling to work every day, but being retired it is the best thing since sliced bread.

My wife drives the Tesla to work & back home 5 days a week, she will never go back to a ICEV filling up the fuel tank every fortnight.

Plug in the EV when at home, and off to work in the morning.

Have even done it from our holiday home, leave extra early on a Monday morning & drive straight to work, that’s a 200km drive.

My wife drives the Tesla to work & back home 5 days a week, she will never go back to a ICEV filling up the fuel tank every fortnight.

Plug in the EV when at home, and off to work in the morning.

Have even done it from our holiday home, leave extra early on a Monday morning & drive straight to work, that’s a 200km drive.
Yes I know, we are the same same, so why don't you sell the ICE car?
Jezus I love the E.V, I'm just trying to keep it in context, why not come over to W.A with your missus and rent an E.V and do a State adventure tour, then do the same in the Northern Territory and head down to Adelaide.
It is like listening to guys who own a brothel, telling everyone how easy it is to get a girlfriend, of course when you have $hit loads of supply, charging isn't a worry.
My mate who retired about 6 months ago, used to drive 200km round trip every day for work, many of the guys I worked with did the same, why would you buy a $60,000 EV car that has a decent range, so that if you have a power failure or something trips you can't get to work?
When you could buy exactly the same ICE car for $35k and have no issues? Apart from smugness, or because you can, why would you put yourself under the increased pressure and pay more to do so?
By the way my wife has never filled the ICE cars we've owned or the E.V, I'm a sensitive new aged guy from the 70's.:2twocents

Last edited:
That may be the case over East and where they are main stream and the infrastructure is in place, over here in the West that isn't the case.
I went to Bunbury from Mandurah on Friday and it wasn't a problem, I got home with 207km to spare, when I left Mandurah it said I had 497km on a full charge, I did 225km you do the maths.
If as happens in W.A you have to do long distances, I really wouldn't be sleeping easy, I'm not saying they aren't great, I'm saying the infrastructure isn't.
There are a hell of a lot of E.V's that don't get the range I get, and I don't have to be anywhere in a hurry, all I'm saying is, if I wasn't in that situation it wouldn't be my choice of car.
Just trying to be honest and objective, rather than emotional, invested and subjective. :xyxthumbs
Take for example if I decided to go my sons place in Mumballup from Perth and say ok I will just pick up a fast charge in Harvey on the way back, it's a nice quiet country town off the beaten track no problems, check Chargefox it is dead.
There isn't anywhere within cooee of Harvey that a medium range E.V is going to get to.
Same going down the Albany Highway, from Perth to the major Southern city, 450km no problem pick up a charge in Kojonup about 270km, sorry not working, $hits are trumps. ?
Yeah, but I said if you trip to work was a 250km round trip, and you can charge at home, you wouldn’t need external charging to complete your daily commute then, and that would be most people situation I believe.

—————————————

Sounds like your “range prediction” you are using is just the stated range on the fuel gauge, not a prediction actually taking the lay of the land etc into consideration.

I am not sure about your car, But on the Tesla if you plug the destination into the GPS it will give you an actual accurate prediction based on terrain, weather, traffic etc etc. and tell you what % battery you should have at your destination.

At any one time you can have 3 “range predictions” all saying different things, it’s easy to get confused if you don’t know what sort of prediction you are looking at.

Yes I know, we are the same same, so why don't you sell the ICE car?
Jezus I love the E.V, I'm just trying to keep it in context, why not come over to W.A with your missus and rent an E.V and do a State adventure tour, then do the same in the Northern Territory and head down to Adelaide.
It is like listening to guys who own a brothel, telling everyone how easy it is to get a girlfriend, of course when you have $hit loads of supply, charging isn't a worry.
Both johnde and I are just responding to you saying that you don’t think they are good for the daily commute to work, we aren’t suggesting that you would have no issues doing state wide tours.

I would think most people live with in a 250 km round trip of their place of employment, if they can charge at home EV’s are wonderful. That’s all we are saying.

If you are driving 250km round trip each day, it wouldn’t take long for the additional cost of the EV to pay for itself in lower running costs.

If I did live more than 300km round trip to my place of work I would either.

1. Move closer

Or

2. Lobby to install a charger at work.

(I don’t have a petrol car to sell, our family is 100% EV)

Both johnde and I are just responding to you saying that you don’t think they are good for the daily commute to work, we aren’t suggesting that you would have no issues doing state wide tours.

I would think most people live with in a 250 km round trip of their place of employment, if they can charge at home EV’s are wonderful. That’s all we are saying.

If I did live more than 300km round trip to my place of work I would either.

1. Move closer

Or

2. Lobby to install a charger at work.

(I don’t have a petrol car to sell, our family is 100% EV)
Like I said, come on a holiday over here and actually see the issue, or better still go to Darwin rent a Tesla and go to Uluru.
I keep saying it isn't a one size fits all, you guys are obviously well healed living in affluent areas serviced by your own mega solar and plentiful charging infrastructure, there are other people less fortunate.
Explain the downsides as well as the upsides, even though you two don't experience them.
There is a blue collar working class out there in the boom docks, that actually want some honest grass roots feedback, believe it or not.