• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
It certainly flips the script on the people that say the reason for not owning an EV is the don’t like the thought of wasting time charging, when in reality you soon realise petrol stations are a waste of your time.
You were spot on with regard short distance and I was aware of it when I bought the Kona.
Long distance and as John's post highlighted, as an everyday work car, well Im not sure I would recomend it over here in the West.
For me a retired guy that runs around town and does a 60km each way trip once a week, magic absolutely brilliant, but I like you are niche we aren't the norm.
Down the track when everything is geared up for EV's no problem

Actually earlier today I was at the local Stockland shopping centre, they have a couple of Tesla destination chargers, that wont talk to my Kona.
So I went into the manager and pulled the discrimination card, they are going to see if they can be changed to legacy mode. Lol

It certainly flips the script on the people that say the reason for not owning an EV is the don’t like the thought of wasting time charging, when in reality you soon realise petrol stations are a waste of your time.
Don't own an EV yet but the time consumed in charging would be putting in the plug and then pulling it out. Unlik at the servo with fuel. It's a no brainer.

Very similar to the Kona, it is surprising how much I'm enjoying not having to worry about finding time to go to the fuel station, the wife never used to fill up the Jeep, so it was always down to me.
Now I just plug it in at home, done, it really is good from that aspect IMO.

My wife uses the Tesla for work almost every weekday, on every second or so weekend we drive it a few hours to our coastal abode. The only time we stop at a petrol station is if we feel like a coffee.

The furthest we’ve driven the Tesla on one charge is 400km, a cold & wet night, we reached our destination with about 10% charge left and no range anxiety.

We’re lucky that our coastal stay has free charging in the carpark, as can be seen by ‘Other’ in the charging stats.

Tesla in Texas offer owners a $30 subscription that allows unlimited charging. I can see similar plans coming in the future as the cost of electricity drops due to new technologies and storage.

7EEE1266-1554-49C9-8A6F-1088C7E3E8D9.jpeg

You were spot on with regard short distance and I was aware of it when I bought the Kona.
Long distance and as John's post highlighted, as an everyday work car, well Im not sure I would recomend it over here in the West.
For me a retired guy that runs around town and does a 60km each way trip once a week, magic absolutely brilliant, but I like you are niche we aren't the norm.
Down the track when everything is geared up for EV's no problem

Actually earlier today I was at the local Stockland shopping centre, they have a couple of Tesla destination chargers, that wont talk to my Kona.
So I went into the manager and pulled the discrimination card, they are going to see if they can be changed to legacy mode. Lol
I think the Kona will work with the Tesla destination chargers. Have you given it a go?

I thought the Tesla model 3 and the Kona used they same plug.

Don't own an EV yet but the time consumed in charging would be putting in the plug and then pulling it out. Unlik at the servo with fuel. It's a no brainer.
Yep, even when it comes to road trips you can plug the car in and go off to the toilet or get your coffee etc while you charge for 15mins with out having to stand there and refuel, then re-park before attending to your bodily needs. (at least on the East coast, as SP pointed out your WA infrastructure is still not 100%)

I think the Kona will work with the Tesla destination chargers. Have you given it a go?

I thought the Tesla model 3 and the Kona used they same plug.
They have the same plug, but the ones at the shopping centre wont talk to the Kona, plug it in and nothing happens.
Apparently they have some internal dip switches, that can be set up for Tesla only, or legacy where any vehicle can access it.
It doesn't really affect me, because our house is only a short distance away and has 6Kw of solar on the roof, but if it is there it would make sense for the shopping centre to make it available to everyone.

To be honest I never thought that the convenience issue would be that noticeable, but as I said I do remember how many times the wife would ask me to put fuel in the car and it always seemed to be when I was in the middle of doing something.
So now it's easy the cars there, when it gets down to between 50-60%, I plug it in and take it back up to 80%, ready to go.

They have the same plug, but the ones at the shopping centre wont talk to the Kona, plug it in and nothing happens.
Apparently they have some internal dip switches, that can be set up for Tesla only, or legacy where any vehicle can access it.
It doesn't really affect me, because our house is only a short distance away and has 6Kw of solar on the roof, but if it is there it would make sense for the shopping centre to make it available to everyone.

I'm not sure but I think that you have to download the Tesla app.

February 1, 2023
Tesla has opened up Superchargers to non-Teslas in Australia. All CCS-capable electric vehicles can now use select Tesla Superchargers.​
EDIT: I just had a thought, are you talking about the Tesla Supercharger or Destination charger?

The supercharger will require you to sign in and pay a fee. The destination charger will work with any vehicle and is free. My holiday abode has two Tesla destination chargers, and I have seen several different EV brands charging with no dificulties.

T chareger.png

I'm not sure but I think that you have to download the Tesla app.

February 1, 2023
Tesla has opened up Superchargers to non-Teslas in Australia. All CCS-capable electric vehicles can now use select Tesla Superchargers.​
EDIT: I just had a thought, are you talking about the Tesla Supercharger or Destination charger?

The supercharger will require you to sign in and pay a fee. The destination charger will work with any vehicle and is free. My holiday abode has two Tesla destination chargers, and I have seen several different EV brands charging with no dificulties.

View attachment 154066
Yep, that’s for super chargers, but SP was talking about the destination chargers.

I have seen other brands plugged into Tesla destination chargers, but maybe sp is correct and they can lock out others with a setting.

I did a quick Google search it also said the Generation 3 chargers will allow other brands but not the gen 2.

First AGL with their All-inclusive EV subscription and now Origin Energy -

Energy giant launches electric vehicle subscriptions

One of Australia's biggest energy companies will launch month-to-month electric car subscriptions and give customers five hours of free electricity to fuel them in a new push to get more of the next-generation vehicles on the road.

Origin revealed a suite of electric car offers on Wednesday, which also included partnerships with automaker Audi and public charging network Jolt.

The move is the latest effort by an electricity company to boost adoption of electric vehicles in Australia following similar moves by AGL and Aurora Energy.

Origin e-mobility general manager Chau Le told AAP the company's new services and discounts were designed to help Australians to access electric vehicles, to power them and to pay for them.

"We know the up-front ownership cost is a huge barrier that is preventing many people from getting into their first EVs," she said.

"(Subscriptions) help customers overcome that initial anxiety about trying a new technology and seeing how it fits into their lifestyle."

The price of electric vehicles starts at more than $40,000 in Australia, with many models costing more than $60,000 and commanding a premium compared to the price of petrol cars.

Ms Le said Origin would offer subscription packages for 12 electric vehicle models, including cars from Tesla, Polestar, BYD, MG and Volvo.

The vehicles would be available on month-to-month subscriptions, she said, and would be salary packaged through customers' employers to take advantage of the recent fringe benefits tax cuts on electric cars.

Ms Le said the energy giant would also launch an electricity plan for electric vehicle drivers, giving them free home charging between 10am and 3pm each day.

Origin vehicle subscribers, customers who purchased the company's Smart EV Charger, and new Audi electric vehicle buyers would qualify for the plan.

"The purpose of the EV Energy Plan is to minimise usage during the peak periods and encourage drivers to charge their vehicles when energy demand is lowest," she said.

"Transportation is the third largest source of emissions in Australia and we're really keen to decarbonise our transport footprint as well as help our customers accelerate that transition to EVs."

Origin will compete with rival AGL for electric car subscriptions after the electricity firm piloted its service through Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane in 2020, and expanded into Adelaide in 2021.

Tasmanian energy provider Aurora also partnered with Carbar to offer customers access to electric vehicles on subscription in late 2021.

Australia has more than 83,000 electric vehicles on the road, according to estimates from the Electric Vehicle Council, and is on track to pass the 100,000 mark this year.

Have just driven from home to Daylesford in the BYD. Too far for a return trip without charging en route. So after wife doing the shopping thing, went to the charger listed on plug share, which said it was not being used as no one had checked in. Of course, when I get there, a council Kona was plugged in. And even if it was not, would have been difficult to charge as the BYD has the charging port on RHS front of the vehicle. To use the onstreet charger in Daylesford you have to park parralele, so would have to try and stretch the cable over the bonnet of car.
So we headed to next charger in Kyneton. Evie says its in use, but when we got there was not being used, so lucky to be able to add a quick 20% enough to get us home.
I have no issue with Charging from home, but for longer round trips it can be a bit of a lottery.
Heading to Albury this weekend for a wedding. Looks like Barnawatha will get another workout.
Just for reference, I reckon we passed at least 15 Petrol/Diesel servos on the way Over to Daylesford, but saw only the one at Kyneton.
The number of Chargepoints is going to have to dramatically increase before there is large scale takeup of EV,s .
Mick

Have just driven from home to Daylesford in the BYD. Too far for a return trip without charging en route. So after wife doing the shopping thing, went to the charger listed on plug share, which said it was not being used as no one had checked in. Of course, when I get there, a council Kona was plugged in. And even if it was not, would have been difficult to charge as the BYD has the charging port on RHS front of the vehicle. To use the onstreet charger in Daylesford you have to park parralele, so would have to try and stretch the cable over the bonnet of car.
So we headed to next charger in Kyneton. Evie says its in use, but when we got there was not being used, so lucky to be able to add a quick 20% enough to get us home.
I have no issue with Charging from home, but for longer round trips it can be a bit of a lottery.
Heading to Albury this weekend for a wedding. Looks like Barnawatha will get another workout.
Just for reference, I reckon we passed at least 15 Petrol/Diesel servos on the way Over to Daylesford, but saw only the one at Kyneton.
The number of Chargepoints is going to have to dramatically increase before there is large scale takeup of EV,s .
Mick
After watching the latest Tesla Presentation, I think the fact that Tesla opening up their super chargers to other brands is going to be great.

Tesla’s charging business is generating solid cashflow for them, and they seem super interested in rolling out as many as they can.

Hopefully the route planing software will be available to non teslas as well, so you automatically get routed to the best charging.

Tesla is coming up with some great concepts for charging locations, look at this one they are planning on LA, it’s a retro Diner with huge charging capacity.

8627806A-14B8-4BD9-A239-B458650CCD58.jpeg

Dodgy charging. ;)

A man’s been fined after using a local council power box to charge his electric car.
It happened about noon on Sunday in the West Australian Great Southern town of Mt Barker, about 363km southeast of Perth.

Hidden CCTV images captured the 78-year-old Cranbrook man using the power box to top up his e-vehicle.

Police subsequently charged the man with stealing and fined him $500.

It’s illegal in WA to charge an e-vehicle in public anywhere but an approved service point.

Mt Barker police used their Twitter account on Tuesday evening to make an example of the man.

“To clarify. If you want to recharge your e-vehicle, DON’T steal the electricity to do so,” they posted, along with a photo of the man’s car plugged into the power box.

“Police will prosecute in EVERY instance. This recharge cost the vehicle owner a $500 fine, for stealing from the Shire. Be better.”
The Twitter post was shared by the main WA Police Force Facebook account, with the resulting comments a mixed bag.

Some said the incident showed why e-vehicles weren’t a viable option in regional areas, while others said it showed more country charging stations needed to be installed.

After watching the latest Tesla Presentation, I think the fact that Tesla opening up their super chargers to other brands is going to be great.

Tesla’s charging business is generating solid cashflow for them, and they seem super interested in rolling out as many as they can.

Hopefully the route planing software will be available to non teslas as well, so you automatically get routed to the best charging.

Tesla is coming up with some great concepts for charging locations, look at this one they are planning on LA, it’s a retro Diner with huge charging capacity.

View attachment 154077
Yep, i am sure that a Tesla retro diner with huge capacity in LA will be most useful next time I have to drive to Daylesford.
mick

Yep, i am sure that a Tesla retro diner with huge capacity in LA will be most useful next time I have to drive to Daylesford.
mick
They are expanding the network everywhere, at large scale, the diner is just one example of the scale they are willing to invest, unlike the other charging companies which as you have seen offer only one or two chargers per location, and are the source of your inconvenience.

As Tesla opens up their network and utilisation rates increase, they will continue to expand with more locations.

Here is another example of large scale chargers Tesla can install to meet demand. Supply will follow demand.

067FAEE5-7709-4370-B489-AFF9FF0F5366.jpeg

Last edited:
@mullokintyre

I just punched in Daylesford VIC, into my Tesla and it doesn’t seem to be a problem for me to get there from My location in Brisbane using the Tesla supercharging network.

I am not sure which direction you are coming from but if you happen to live in an area that for some reason makes that impractical using the Tesla. Rework from your location at the moment, I am pretty sure future locations for chargers will fill in the gaps for you.

027BDD5E-F2D8-4D78-8679-08D0B1B929DD.jpeg

Into the 6th month of driving my Atto 3 and I have averaged 14.6kWh/100km.
As I live 2km from the M1, to travel anywhere I use it as an artery, so spend a lot of time at 100kph until traffic inevitably snarls somewhere.
Although I tried Eco and Normal modes earlier on, I only drive in Sport mode now as it's much safer getting on and off roundabouts, and in merging traffic.
I thought there must some screen that shows what the historic usage is, well finally found it.
As I said we are getting similar consumption, my major running is up and down the freeway, sitting exactly on the 110km/hr. :whistling::rolleyes:

20230308_134808 copy.jpg

@mullokintyre

I just punched in Daylesford VIC, into my Tesla and it doesn’t seem to be a problem for me to get there from My location in Brisbane using the Tesla supercharging network.

I am not sure which direction you are coming from but if you happen to live in an area that for some reason makes that impractical using the Tesla. Rework from your location at the moment, I am pretty sure future locations for chargers will fill in the gaps for you.

View attachment 154085
Thanks VC, you are so helpful.
Unfortunately , I do not live North of Brisbane, not do I drive a Tesla.
As usual, you provide nothing to the non Tesla owners.
As so far only 5 Tesla charge spots, all in NSW, are available to non Tesla owners, its not much help.
And given experience so far, Tesla owners seem to ignore the expensive Tesla superfast chargers to clog up the cheaperor free chargers that are only available to non tesla owners, and leave the poor non tesla plebs frustrated.
I am trying to help the people who do not drive a Tesla, do not live in the city, and sometimes, rather than travel down the M1 and Hume, have to travel across the state where there are few or no charging options.
Mick

Thanks VC, you are so helpful.
Unfortunately , I do not live North of Brisbane, not do I drive a Tesla.
As usual, you provide nothing to the non Tesla owners.
As so far only 5 Tesla charge spots, all in NSW, are available to non Tesla owners, its not much help.
And given experience so far, Tesla owners seem to ignore the expensive Tesla superfast chargers to clog up the cheaperor free chargers that are only available to non tesla owners, and leave the poor non tesla plebs frustrated.
I am trying to help the people who do not drive a Tesla, do not live in the city, and sometimes, rather than travel down the M1 and Hume, have to travel across the state where there are few or no charging options.
Mick
Well, If you go back to my original comment, I was saying that it was a good thing that soon you non Tesla guys should be able to start using the Tesla Network, and I pointed out how more than any other charging company they are attacking your problem with scale and intensity.

If you don’t see that as a good thing that’s up to you.