• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I thought there must some screen that shows what the historic usage is, well finally found it.
As I said we are getting similar consumption, my major running is up and down the freeway, sitting exactly on the 110km/hr. :whistling::rolleyes:

View attachment 154086
That’s uncanny, mine is almost the same.

That’s not just driving though, that would include all the idle usage too, like using the climate control when parked, which I do quite a bit of, and running sentry mode.

1B505FC0-C83B-4887-8024-05FA139C3C99.jpeg

Highway driving on the way home last night averaged 11.7 kWh/100

What’s interesting is on that chart you can see the regen braking charging the battery as I left the freeway and slowed Fromm 100km/h to 0km at a red light, then you can see a spike in usage as I left the red light and accelerated up a hill.

50AB791F-1442-4AA0-A009-6AD7D05627F7.jpeg

Janus Electric now have their swappable truck batteries in real life operation.
This video includes some really good data, like the fact that the average age of trucks on the road is several years more than cars. The other point is, if you are looking to add a vehicle to your fleet you could buy an old semi, put in an electric motor, AND not have to worry about service costs for the next 10 years or more. Perhaps more importantly for fleet operators, electricity costs are relatively stable so you don't have to factor in diesel price shocks which could otherwise affect profitability.

This is a good advertisement for autonomous driving, just quickly switch it on when your steering wheel comes off. At least you will have both free to operate the touch screen. ?
Only joking guys.
Auto safety regulators in the US have opened an investigation into Tesla following reports that steering wheels on Model Y SUVs have fallen off while the vehicle is being driven. In documents posted on Wednesday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it’s aware of two separate incidents involving 2023 Tesla Model Y vehicles in which the SUV’s steering wheel completely detached from the steering column.

What’s interesting is on that chart you can see the regen braking charging the battery as I left the freeway and slowed Fromm 100km/h to 0km at a red light, then you can see a spike in usage as I left the red light and accelerated up a hill.
That is a great graph, I don't think my car has anything like that, you certainly have to give it to Tesla, when it comes to the complete package, amazing stuff.
I've just recently got the E.V watchdog app, so when I get the time and confidence to play with it, I will see what I can find out.
I would hate to have to take it into the dealer with a wiped programme, which would be just my luck.
I can see me now, "honest, I never touched anything".?

This is a good advertisement for autonomous driving, just quickly switch it on when your steering wheel comes off. At least you will have both free to operate the touch screen. ?
Only joking guys.
Auto safety regulators in the US have opened an investigation into Tesla following reports that steering wheels on Model Y SUVs have fallen off while the vehicle is being driven. In documents posted on Wednesday, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it’s aware of two separate incidents involving 2023 Tesla Model Y vehicles in which the SUV’s steering wheel completely detached from the steering column.
In the future that will be a design feature ?

Anyone who was wondering what might happen to those people who do not comply with the Victorian requirements to pay the per km cost of running an electric vehicle, will now know that the Vic Government will cancel your registration.
From The evil murdoch press
Victoria’s controversial road tax on electric vehicles has reportedly resulted in more than 240 motorists having their registrations cancelled.
According to AAP, some 243 Victorian drivers have fallen foul of the Zero and Low-Emissions Vehicle (ZLEV) road user charge, a scheme that charges a fee for every kilometre driven by electrified vehicles each year.

Owners are required to submit a photograph of their car’s odometer annually in order for the fee to be calculated. It’s understood the 243 drivers failed to submit a photograph and had their car registrations cancelled as a result.

The ZLEV Act was introduced in 2021 by Victorian treasurer Tim Pallas, who said the goal was to ensure every motorist paid their “fair share” as sales of electric cars increase. Owners are charged at a rate of 2.6 cents per kilometre driven, which is designed to replace the lost revenue from the national fuel levy.

However, the road user charge has been controversial from the beginning, with critics saying it discourages zero and low-emissions vehicles and effectively taxes owners of plug-in hybrid vehicles twice; as hybrid models still use petrol or diesel fuel.

The Electric Vehicle Council labelled it the “world’s worst EV policy” and it was also slammed by several electric vehicle manufacturers.

So, what is to stop a person from taking a photo of someone else's speedo.
Or what is to stop someone from taking a photograph of the speedometer half way through the year and sending that one in.
But I am sure the mandarins in the government would find a way to peek the metadata of the photograph to ensure its validity.
Mick

Anyone who was wondering what might happen to those people who do not comply with the Victorian requirements to pay the per km cost of running an electric vehicle, will now know that the Vic Government will cancel your registration.

Or what is to stop someone from taking a photograph of the speedometer half way through the year and sending that one in.
But I am sure the mandarins in the government would find a way to peek the metadata of the photograph to ensure its validity.
Mick

It is such an antiquated concept it is embarrassing, taking a photo of the car’s odometer in the 21st century.

What happens if the car is used for interstate travel, can the owner ask for those interstate road kilometers to be deducted?

What happens if the car is used for interstate travel, can the owner ask for those interstate road kilometers to be deducted?

Thats why it should really be left to the federal government to work out a national plan, especially considering the fuel excise it says its replacing is already a federal tax. local governments collect rates for their roads, states collect registration fee, the fuel excise is meant to go to the feds for national projects.

Poor old victorians could find them selves paying 2.6 cents per kilometre to the Victorian government even when they are driving on a Toll road in another state.

--------------------------------------------

Here is an Idea from left field, why not dump the fuel excise and bring in a tyre excise. I mean the fuel excise is a tax on a consumable that used to be used by all road vehicles, but some vehicles no longer use that fuel, but they all still use tyres.

Thats why it should really be left to the federal government to work out a national plan, especially considering the fuel excise it says its replacing is already a federal tax. local governments collect rates for their roads, states collect registration fee, the fuel excise is meant to go to the feds for national projects.

Poor old victorians could find them selves paying 2.6 cents per kilometre to the Victorian government even when they are driving on a Toll road in another state.

--------------------------------------------

Here is an Idea from left field, why not dump the fuel excise and bring in a tyre excise. I mean the fuel excise is a tax on a consumable that used to be used by all road vehicles, but some vehicles no longer use that fuel, but they all still use tyres.
Well Mr Value from left field to bring it into the centre. To one who claims the diesel excise rebate I think it is a good idea, diesel and petrol vehicles all classied as the same.
A rebate on the number of tyres, road train operators would probably jump at it

Mick
You can edit metadata....

You can edit metadata....
And think about it if you are controlled 2 months later with 10k extra..well you were just travelling a lot last month...
Next step following a few frauds highlighted on their ABC, you will have to allow the government access to your on board unit via internet.. technically ready in most of modern cars..so automated fines, disabling of car at will etc etc..nightmare coming

Well Mr Value from left field to bring it into the centre. To one who claims the diesel excise rebate I think it is a good idea, diesel and petrol vehicles all classied as the same.
A rebate on the number of tyres, road train operators would probably jump at it
Would road train operators qualify for a rebate? Isn’t the rebate only for fuel burned away from public roads?

But either way it wouldn’t change their economics, because the rebate would only be for the additional tax they paid when they purchased their tyres.

View attachment 154112

Here’s the data from AWD M3LR, I don’t usually drive with economy in mind but this time I tried (haven’t quite worked out what the figures and information mean yet, maybe you can explain for me) -

Before our trip for the weekend (charge level at 76%) -
AFB06EDE-D94E-484A-BB21-3A881DE7EB99.jpeg

After the drive to the coast, 30C day, inside temp set to 20.5, no wind -
DCB3ED65-9E77-46C2-94B2-828104E24AF8.jpeg

FDDB16C5-3858-4B46-B8D6-F27061CC675F.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s the data from AWD M3LR, I don’t usually drive with economy in mind but this time I tried (haven’t quite worked out what the figures and information mean yet, maybe you can explain for me) -

Before our trip for the weekend (charge level at 76%) -
View attachment 154180

After the drive to the coast, 30C day, inside temp set to 20.5, no wind -
View attachment 154181

View attachment 154182
so looking at the top graph, it shows your watts used per km (1000 watts = 1 kilowatt).

The dotted line is your average over the last 10km, and it’s tagged “Avg 146” which is 146 watts per km or 14.6 kilowatts / 100km.

The solid line is labelled “typical” this is the standard usage EPA numbers eg what the brochure says your car should get, it’s also used to tell you your Km’s remaining on your “fuel gauge”

The projected range, is your current averaged used divided by your remaining battery, eg if you continued driving in exactly the same way as you did in that last 10km your battery will last 360km based on your current %charge.

so looking at the top graph, it shows your watts used per km (1000 watts = 1 kilowatt).

The dotted line is your average over the last 10km, and it’s tagged “Avg 146” which is 146 watts per km or 14.6 kilowatts / 100km.

The solid line is labelled “typical” this is the standard usage EPA numbers eg what the brochure says your car should get, it’s also used to tell you your Km’s remaining on your “fuel gauge”

The projected range, is your current averaged used divided by your remaining battery, eg if you continued driving in exactly the same way as you did in that last 10km your battery will last 360km based on your current %charge.

Thank you, very much appreciated.

Would road train operators qualify for a rebate? Isn’t the rebate only for fuel burned away from public roads?

But either way it wouldn’t change their economics, because the rebate would only be for the additional tax they paid when they purchased their tyres.
Afternoon Mr value. Their is a diesel rebate for on-road use for heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes. Obviously not as much as the off-road/farm use but still every bit helps.

Afternoon Mr value. Their is a diesel rebate for on-road use for heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes. Obviously not as much as the off-road/farm use but still every bit helps.
I didn’t realise that, but you work the rebate so it was a similar percentage, eg if the Heavy vehicles get 50% of their excise back, then let them get 50% of their tyre tax back.

Either way, whether it’s taxing tyres or fuel the end result could be the same. France once had a cheese tax, and Britain had a window tax, that’s whether the saying “taxing the daylight out of people came from”

I didn’t realise that, but you work the rebate so it was a similar percentage, eg if the Heavy vehicles get 50% of their excise back, then let them get 50% of their tyre tax back.

Either way, whether it’s taxing tyres or fuel the end result could be the same. France once had a cheese tax, and Britain had a window tax, that’s whether the saying “taxing the daylight out of people came from”
Great stuff a cheese tax a window tax. Bugga me. Do you remember the TV tax probably back in the late 50' early 60's here. People would cover their TV's with a rug or what ever to hide it from the prowling snouts to avoid the tax.

Great stuff a cheese tax a window tax. Bugga me. Do you remember the TV tax probably back in the late 50' early 60's here. People would cover their TV's with a rug or what ever to hide it from the prowling snouts to avoid the tax.
When I toured York, the guide asked if we knew why so many of the windows in the older part were bricked up, Turns out when the window tax was brought in people bricked up their least favourite windows, turned out to be a terrible idea because people started getting Ricketts from lack of vitamin D.

If you Google window tax there is some amusing photos of older buildings missing windows.

0B68A7C1-A337-4CCF-9DDF-5DF10BEF56BE.jpeg