Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Economic implications of a SARS/Coronavirus outbreak

Any chance of a US debt ceiling rundown with timeframe involved in real simpletons language @over9k ?

Would be much obliged to get my head around that issue. Cheers.
Republicans will kick up a stink and there will be a whole bunch of hullabaloo and then those in power will just do what they were always going to do anyway and raise it.

Even all that tea party bullsh!t back in 2010 didn't stop them so there sure isn't anything that will this time around.

The yanks haven't balanced the budget for a generation, they sure aren't going to start now.

a shutdown would be convenient to cloud the numbers resigning over the vaccine mandate , though

think of all the pension liabilities they could reduce ( and make it look like the Republican's fault )

mid-term elections coming next year , everybody's chance for a spot in the media ( cheap advertising )

a big soap opera for sure , but the spending is out of control they will either lift the ceiling or just abandon any pretense of budgeting ( give or take a nicely exploited shut-down )

most of them are political creatures you can't expect much from them they nearly always look after themselves and their family , and maybe then the party , a distant third

Republicans will kick up a stink and there will be a whole bunch of hullabaloo and then those in power will just do what they were always going to do anyway and raise it.

Even all that tea party bullsh!t back in 2010 didn't stop them so there sure isn't anything that will this time around.

The yanks haven't balanced the budget for a generation, they sure aren't going to start now.
I just hope I live long enough and I have enough precious metals, food supply and ammo (lol, not likely), to see what happens if they lose reserve currency status... or even if the debt market blows the f*** up (likely at some point)

It will be interesting, even if the view is from cloud nine ;)

YELLEN WARNS CONGRESS U.S. COULD DEFAULT SOMETIME IN OCTOBER​

everyone stocked up on popcorn , chips and marshmallows ??

the show will start soon ( but we have more distractions than usual ... keep watch for a false flag , dressed up as a Black Swan )

I just hope I live long enough and I have enough precious metals, food supply and ammo (lol, not likely), to see what happens if they lose reserve currency status... or even if the debt market blows the f*** up (likely at some point)

It will be interesting, even if the view is from cloud nine ;)
Won't happen. The really depressing thing is that the rest of the world is in an even direr financial situation than the united states is.

The only currency that even began to look like threatening it was the euro and the yanks took care of that quick smart long before brexit put the final nail in that particular coffin.

I don't do currency trading, but I reckon there's a trade in Lebanese currency, whatever that is.
Political situation has improved and instantly resulted in a ~10% improvement in the value of their currency. FWIW

I don't do currency trading, but I reckon there's a trade in Lebanese currency, whatever that is.
Political situation has improved and instantly resulted in a ~10% improvement in the value of their currency. FWIW
I'd want to be pretty confident I knew something about the future political situation that everyone else don't.

14325324524313246132463.jpg

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/latest-numbers.htm

CPI bang on estimates, futures flipped, all futures completely flipped to nasdaq highest and dow lowest after tech being in the red and the dow being in the green premarket.

R2k futures meanwhile about twice the level of the other majors.

So, announcement of tapering november, actual tapering to begin in december looking ever more likely.

So with inflation fears subsided (for now), barbell spread may be back on the menu again. With vaccines rolling out and winter coming along and a lot of home gadgets, furniture etc already being bought, I'd like to think that demand is going to subside and supply is going to have increased significantly over the coming months. Only (constant) concern is foreign/overseas supply chains. Shipping still remains backed up etc etc.

A LOT of that is just microchips.

In short: Keep holding everything.

Last edited:
When everything is opened up again, concerts pubs sports are the place to be I wonder what will happen to all the city folk that fled to the country. Will they suddenly feel empty and secluded and rush back to the city?
most will have probably died waiting ( for all the restrictions to be lifted )

besides a 5 acre paddock can be a great music venue ( even a drive-in ) , and you probably should be brewing/distilling your own anyway by now

When everything is opened up again, concerts pubs sports are the place to be I wonder what will happen to all the city folk that fled to the country. Will they suddenly feel empty and secluded and rush back to the city?
Things like that are back up and running in the UK so the figures from London would be somewhat telling I'd expect. :2twocents

Things like that are back up and running in the UK so the figures from London would be somewhat telling I'd expect. :2twocents
My BIL is a State manager of a multinational company, he has only been into the office a handful of time since the pandemic began, also a nephew is an IT programmer for a major mining company, same deal he hasn't been to the office at all since the start of lockdowns.

Doubtful, I know a lot of people of my generation/age group (I'm 31) that left the major cities and moved to the secondary cities like wollongong, geelong, newcastle, sunshine coast, albury/wodonga etc etc. One couple even moved to cairns.

I'm yet to hear of a single one that's regretted it. Some even planned it with their parents and so the whole family sold up what used to be a normal 3 or 4 bedroom house in sydney, moved to wollongong, bought a palace, and banked a lazy half million difference.

It sure beats the ratrace and it enables the grandparents to just duck over any time they want or them to bring the grandkids over without spending 4 hrs return drive to & from the middle of sydney.

None have regretted it for a second. I know quite literally ONE couple that haven't already left sydney or are at least planning to and that's only because she works at RPA.

I've actually wondered how long that particular clock is going to tick before they bail too as they've already had their first kid and I think #2 is on the way but we'll see.

Being able to go & get shitfaced blackout drunk on booze or off your face on drugs at the 'cross isn't really a priority when you have a toddler & a newborn.

What's not to like about the country?
Tank water, praying for rain all the time, a couple of useless nags in the paddock that you never ride... Plus a small herd of sheep of which the ram always wants to headbutt you in the nuts...

Weekends spraying weeds, fixing fencing, trying to rank all that damned heifer that keeps breaking into your paddock...

Chopping firewood, then 6 months later freaking out about the massive fire heading for your home... No gorgonzola piccante in the local Coles.

Trying to get rid of the three dozen extra eggs per week you accumulate from your chooks.... and everybody you know also has 3 dozen extra eggs per week... And everybody is just so sick of eggs.

Guinness only by special order from the local Bottle-O... and nowhere within 200 km to service the Lambo.

But...

You can hear the birds twittering, you know your neighbours, even though you can't see them and they can't see you walking around in he nuddie and the most complicated decision you usually have to make is which spray is going to knock off the Patterson's Curse.

It's nice to be close enough to the city to visit, but it's nicer to go home to the bush. Life is real there.

FWIW

What's not to like about the country?
Tank water, praying for rain all the time, a couple of useless nags in the paddock that you never ride... Plus a small herd of sheep of which the ram always wants to headbutt you in the nuts...

Weekends spraying weeds, fixing fencing, trying to rank all that damned heifer that keeps breaking into your paddock...

Chopping firewood, then 6 months later freaking out about the massive fire heading for your home... No gorgonzola piccante in the local Coles.

Trying to get rid of the three dozen extra eggs per week you accumulate from your chooks.... and everybody you know also has 3 dozen extra eggs per week... And everybody is just so sick of eggs.

Guinness only by special order from the local Bottle-O... and nowhere within 200 km to service the Lambo.

But...

You can hear the birds twittering, you know your neighbours, even though you can't see them and they can't see you walking around in he nuddie and the most complicated decision you usually have to make is which spray is going to knock off the Patterson's Curse.

It's nice to be close enough to the city to visit, but it's nicer to go home to the bush. Life is real there.

FWIW
the nags are to pull the tractor out when it gets bogged ( but you might need a winch as well, they are only two horsepower after all )

there is solar now , not a complete answer but a help , stand side on to the ram ( i learned that in NZ in 1972 and if you are quick a knee to it's head teaches it to look for someone else , hopefully a trespasser) you probably should have chosen geese , bigger eggs more meat aggressive security , and possibly goats for the meat/milk supply and not bad at weed control as well )

the sticks are just different to the city , the problems are always the same ... unwanted guests , no matter how many legs they have