Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Did you know?

Nectarines and peaches with the sticker Zee Sweet are genetically modified ?

Where did you get this from? I grew up in a region where all forms of stone fruit are grown and i can assure you Zee Sweet have been around for at least a decade, probably more, a long time before GM. Zee Sweet is nothing more than a variety of nectarine.

You might be confused witht he fact that nectarines are a 'man made' fruit, being the result of cross breeding between a plum and a peach. They would not exist in nature had it not been for breeding by mankind

Where did you get this from? I grew up in a region where all forms of stone fruit are grown and i can assure you Zee Sweet have been around for at least a decade, probably more, a long time before GM. Zee Sweet is nothing more than a variety of nectarine.

You might be confused witht he fact that nectarines are a 'man made' fruit, being the result of cross breeding between a plum and a peach. They would not exist in nature had it not been for breeding by mankind

Smeone told me they saw a TV doco exposing the food industry, apparently Zee Sweet modify their fruit to make it bigger faster etc, the food industry is akin to the tobacco industry , not very nice.

Smeone told me they saw a TV doco exposing the food industry, apparently Zee Sweet modify their fruit to make it bigger faster etc, the food industry is akin to the tobacco industry , not very nice.

LOL my sisters brothers cousin saw something on TV. I am assuming they are talking about the doco Food Inc? Which is actually a good documentary but i cant remember it mentioning anything about Zee Sweet

But as far as Zee Sweet goes it is simply a licensed necatrine variety, as are thousands of other types of fruit. Depending what definition you use you could consider all varieties of nectarines to be GM, although it is all done through breeding, and nothing in a lab.

With no links and/or evidence this is just classic mis-information same as all those magnificent current affairs programs.

My neighbour's sister's brother-in law operated a dry-cleaning business. One of his regular customers showed him his winning ticket in a Nigerian lottery sweepstake, worth $10 Million. He must have cashed it in because he never came back again to have any more dry-cleaning done.

Actually Food Inc. mostly covers corn and soy beans, i can't recall any mention of fruit in terms of GMO.

Great Doco Food Inc. Indeed there have been many changes to the beef industry brought about by many activists.

Monsanto unfortunately is still up to their old tricks.

CanOz

Please don't put the mockers on seedless grapes Burnsie

Tomatoes, Romaine lettuce, pineapple, corn, watermelon and almost all other modern produce have their origins in nature, of course, but as eaten today are decidedly products of careful, selective breeding. This can at times simply involve selecting the plants with favored traits, but may involve hybridization as well -- the fusion of parts of one plant with another in order to get offspring with the desired traits of both. We owe many of our fruits and vegetables, along with our most beautiful flowers (e.g., "hybrid" roses), to such methods.

Seedless grapes are a product of willful genetic modification. Nectarines are the result of careful culling of a recessive gene in peaches that eliminates their eponymous fuzzy skin. Ever try a tangelo? It is the hybrid offspring of a tangerine and grapefruit. Genetic modification, to be sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/genetically-modified-foods_b_912096.html

Actually Food Inc. mostly covers corn and soy beans, i can't recall any mention of fruit in terms of GMO.

Great Doco Food Inc. Indeed there have been many changes to the beef industry brought about by many activists.

Monsanto unfortunately is still up to their old tricks.

CanOz

Dont know what show it was, he was a tradesman I was waiting with outside a house, he was wearing a tie so I believed him.:D
Not sure if it was that show or not but I'll find out if I can.

Isn't any animal or plant that has been domesticated for human consumption or use genetically modified? Rhetorical question, but I guess I don't see what the whole brouhaha is about because the modification takes place in a lab instead of in a field.

Isn't any animal or plant that has been domesticated for human consumption or use genetically modified? Rhetorical question, but I guess I don't see what the whole brewhaha is about because the modification takes place in a lab instead of in a field.

It depends on the definition really. I dont know enough about GM/GMO to have a solid opinion either way but from my perspective if something has been bred through natural ways (ie two similar trees reproducing to make a slighty different fruit and or variety) that is fine. If something has been genetically engineered in a lab that couldnt happen 'naturally' (splicing fruit with jellyfish genes to make it glow in the dark or splicing rosemary genes into lamb to have pre-flavoured meat) then that has the potential to cause problems down the line imo.

It depends on the definition really. I dont know enough about GM/GMO to have a solid opinion either way but from my perspective if something has been bred through natural ways (ie two similar trees reproducing to make a slighty different fruit and or variety) that is fine. If something has been genetically engineered in a lab that couldnt happen 'naturally' (splicing fruit with jellyfish genes to make it glow in the dark or splicing rosemary genes into lamb to have pre-flavoured meat) then that has the potential to cause problems down the line imo.

About right, but who's going to tell you ?

Thats right - no one.

A guy I know once said "food doesn't have ingredients" think about it.

About right, but who's going to tell you ?

Thats right - no one.

A guy I know once said "food doesn't have ingredients" think about it.

Yes but a Zee Sweet nectarine is not GM unless you count breeding as GM.

I have heard that quote before and i think it is stupid. Pancakes are food, they have ingredients. Bread is food, that has ingredients. Any form of meal is 'food' and all meals have ingredients (be they good or bad). If you were to live by that quote you wouldn't be eating anything that was mixed or combined in any way...

A nectarine doesnt have ingredients, is that still food? :rolleyes:

Yes but a Zee Sweet nectarine is not GM unless you count breeding as GM.

I have heard that quote before and i think it is stupid. Pancakes are food, they have ingredients. Bread is food, that has ingredients. Any form of meal is 'food' and all meals have ingredients (be they good or bad). If you were to live by that quote you wouldn't be eating anything that was mixed or combined in any way...

A nectarine doesnt have ingredients, is that still food? :rolleyes:

Food in the pure sense is meat, fish, eggs, butter anything not tampered with.

Nectarines ? sure as long as they haven't been manipulated with chemicals to grow faster and bigger.

Fair point. But most of the GM foods I read about are designed to help grow crops in harsh environments etc.

You can't feed the world on organic, free range food.

Fair point. But most of the GM foods I read about are designed to help grow crops in harsh environments etc.

Right but you and I don't have to eat it if we choose not to and are given the correct information about food/products and I dont think that will be forthcoming.

You might be confused with the fact that nectarines are a 'man made' fruit, being the result of cross breeding between a plum and a peach. They would not exist in nature had it not been for breeding by mankind

No plums involved, no crossbreeding... all peachy.

. Today's Why Is It? question comes from Karen Hopkin Of Somerville, Massachusetts. She thought the nectarine was a cross between the peach and the plum. But she was startled to hear that the nectarine may actually be some sort of mutant peach. She wants to know what's what.

Well, according to Wayne Sherman, a horticulturist at the University of Florida, the mutation theory wins out.

Sherman:
A nectarine is a mutation of peach from fuzzy skinned to no fuzzy skinned, or glaucoused from pubescence.

That means peaches and nectarines essentially have the same genes. A peach tree will produce peaches if it inherits the dominant, fuzz-producing gene. But it'll make nectarines if it gets the recessive, or hairless, version of the gene.

And Sherman says the gene does more than produce fuzz.

Sherman:
There are a number of factors that go along with the glaucous skin of the nectarine. Nectarines generally have more red color in the skin, more rounder shape, smaller size, more sugars, more acids, and more higher density.

http://www.sciencenetlinks.net/sci_update.php?DocID=177

I'm not so sure about that McLovin...Perhaps "you cannot feed the current diet to the world on organic free range food at the same price..." would be more accurate.

CanOz

Food in the pure sense is meat, fish, eggs, butter anything not tampered with.

Nectarines ? sure as long as they haven't been manipulated with chemicals to grow faster and bigger.

I would argue that butter is tampered with. It is after all altered milk...

What about cooking? That alters the structure of the proteins in food before we eat it, is that not manipulating 'food'? In fact one could say that cooking meat changes it from food to an ingredient if our previous quote was to be used...

What do you define as chemical manipulation? Is putting nitrogen (that has been used by the trees that should be there in the first place read farmed) back into the soil via fertiliser considered manipulation?

Perhaps "Whole Food" is what he's referring to?

Whole foods are foods that are unprocessed and unrefined, or processed and refined as little as possible, before being consumed. Whole foods typically do not contain added ingredients, such as salt, carbohydrates, or fat.[1] Examples of whole foods include unpolished grains, beans, fruits, vegetables and non-homogenized dairy products.[2] Although originally all human food was whole food,[2] one of the earliest uses of the term post-industrial age was in 1960 when the leading organic food organization called the Soil Association opened a shop in the name selling organic and whole grain products in London, UK.[3]

The term is often confused with organic food, but whole foods are not necessarily organic, nor are organic foods necessarily whole.

The United States Food and Drug Administration defines whole grains as cereal grains containing the bran, endosperm and germ of the original grain.[4] Federal Dietary Guidelines issued by the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion in 2005 recommended the consumption of at least three servings of whole grains each day, as there is evidence that they help cut risk of cancer and heart disease.[4]

"Diets rich in whole and unrefined foods, like whole grains, dark green and yellow/orange-fleshed vegetables and fruits, legumes, nuts and seeds, contain high concentrations of antioxidant phenolics, fibers and numerous other phytochemicals that may be protective against chronic diseases."[1]

A focus on whole foods offers three main benefits over a reliance on dietary supplements: they provide greater nutrition for being a source of more complex micronutrients, they provide essential dietary fiber and they provide naturally occurring protective substances, such as phytochemicals.[5]
See also