Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Did you know?

Why are Aussie stock markets falling so much?
Did you know?
That U.K. investors have been taking profits accumalated since 2003 due to capital gains tax changes that come into effect on 6th April 2008.
Up to 5th April 2008 the original cost of shares can be raised by 5% each year and all this is abolished on 6th April 2008.
Thus there has been a scramble to take profits and dump the ASX.

Noirua, another reason we have been experiencing greater falls than the US is that global hedge funds have invested heavily in the ASX because of our commodities boom and now - because of their own tight situations - have to sell off much of this investment.
Also because our financial sector constitutes a greater proportion of the index here than in the US, our market is overall down to a greater extent in the wake of financials having been so heavily sold off.

Noirua, another reason we have been experiencing greater falls than the US is that global hedge funds have invested heavily in the ASX because of our commodities boom and now - because of their own tight situations - have to sell off much of this investment.
Also because our financial sector constitutes a greater proportion of the index here than in the US, our market is overall down to a greater extent in the wake of financials having been so heavily sold off.

Hi Julia, I see you'r on the ball, cheers.

...that it is generally OK to have a hardware firewall, included in most home routers, and firewall software running at the same time.
It effectively double your PC's protection factor.

...Lhamo Thondup was renamed Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso when he became the Dalai Lama aged 15.

...that Dutch right wing politician Geert Wilders has posted a controversial film critical of Islam's holy book, the Koran, on the internet website LiveLeak.

... that monk Pra Supoj Suwajo, found murdered on 18/6/2005 at the Suan Metta Dharm Forest Monastry, in Chiang Mai's Fand District, by suspected capitalists who wished to develop the land as a tangerine orchard, still awaits the capture and punishment of his killers. "Pra Supoj's mysterious death:a buddhist monk falls victim to capatalist greed": http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=266

The largest crater on the Earths Moon, that is visible to us, is the Bailley Crater, and is an area of 26,000 square miles.

From Mercola's latest newsletter:

I love sharing lists like these that are both educational and entertaining. Well, some of these “health facts” are more like “un-health facts” (especially #6), but they’re interesting nonetheless.

1) Motorists who talk on cell phones are more impaired than drunk drivers with blood-alcohol levels exceeding .08.

2) Banging your head against a wall burns 150 calories an hour.

3) In some parts of the world, they protect their babies from disease by bathing them in beer.

4) The word ‘gymnasium’ comes from the Greek word gymnazein, which means ‘to exercise naked.’

5) There are more than 1,000 chemicals in a cup of coffee; of these, only 26 have been tested, and half caused cancer in rats.

6) The average American eats at McDonald’s more than 1,800 times in their life.

7) There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

8) According to U.S. FDA standards, 1 cup of orange juice is allowed to contain 10 fruit fly eggs, but only 2 maggots.

9) You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

10) It is possible to go blind from smoking too heavily.

11) Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.

12) You are about 1 centimeter taller in the morning than in the evening.

13) During your lifetime, you’ll eat about 60,000 pounds of food -- that’s the weight of about 6 elephants.

.. the strongest currencies in the last 12 months: 1) Gambian Dalasi 2) Croatian Koruna 3) Polish Zloty 4) Norwegian Krone 5) Czech Korona 6) Swiss Franc 7) Hungarian Forint 8) Australian Dollar 9) Japanese Yen 10) Euro currency 11) Israel Shekel 12) Canadian Dollar

...that the U.K's Prime Minister has called a meeting this week with all the countries leading Banks. The Chancellor has said that the situation is the most serious in the last thirty years. The meeting has been called to offset a looming disaster in the housing market and to try and unfreeze the lack of trust in the lending sector.

...that plastic bags make up just 2.5% of plastic waste collected on beaches, and that just because an item is marked recyclable does not mean that it can be recycled in your area. Apart from plastic bags and bottles, it may well be dumped, eventually, with the general rubbish.

Hah, I think the plastic bag hysteria is just a huge conspiracy to benefit manufacturers of plastic kitchen rubbish bags and retailers. If there are no more free bags, we will have to buy new bags to line the bins.
Makes no sense to me.

No one is jumping up and down about the superfluous level of packaging on most products. It's an endurance feat to actually get at a product these days.

. just because an item is marked recyclable does not mean that it can be recycled in your area.

don't know about that..... but certainly I agree with the notion of not paying return on bottles, whether glass or plastic etc - otherwise kids would be rifling through recycling bins (imo) - and /or the current system would be unprofitable for the collection contractors who currently pickup the recyclables.

In my mind, it would be better for people to WANT to save the planet and its critters - not just be paid to. :2twocents

don't know about that..... but certainly I agree with the notion of not paying return on bottles, whether glass or plastic etc - otherwise kids would be rifling through recycling bins (imo) - and /or the current system would be unprofitable for the collection contractors who currently pickup the recyclables.

In my mind, it would be better for people to WANT to save the planet and its critters - not just be paid to. :2twocents
That brings back memories. In the days when all lemonade etc., was in glass bottles. I think it was 2d (tuppence) back on the bottle or was it a penny h'apenny. Most toffees sweets etc., were unwrapped and weighed and put in a small paper bags, or before my day, in a cornet made out of newspaper.

There we goes, even though you could have fog at times, cough cough, at least they didn't produce plastic waste in the old days. Come to think of it though, many a mining town is covered in red iron ore dust, maybe it's worse.