Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Did you know?

Ah, see Duckman? Noirua has consulted his Astrology Gods on your behalf.
Can't wait to hear about the pending arrival of the next duckling!

Just read a book that claimed (trivia ;)) ...
If your grandfather (or great-grandfather) had invested 5,000 pounds or $10,000 in the local Stock Market in 1900, (and kept reinvesting dividends etc) then it would be worth $2.7million in about 2002.

Which means that you could do the same for your grandkids ;) -
trouble is by 2100, $2.7 million will probably be enough to buy em a Big Mac lol.

"Also since about 1992, your money would have quadrupled" - no mention if they'd allowed for inflation ;) - bludy useless these trading books lol.

Yeah the baby bonus should be used for something like that but most people are idiots to do something like that

Just read a book that claimed (trivia ;)) ...
If your grandfather (or great-grandfather) had invested 5,000 pounds or $10,000 in the local Stock Market in 1900, (and kept reinvesting dividends etc) then it would be worth $2.7million in about 2002.

Which means that you could do the same for your grandkids ;) -
trouble is by 2100, $2.7 million will probably be enough to buy em a Big Mac lol.

"Also since about 1992, your money would have quadrupled" - no mention if they'd allowed for inflation ;) - bludy useless these trading books lol.

£5,000 was an enormous amount of money in 1900. :2twocents

£5,000 was an enormous amount of money in 1900. :2twocents

not wrong - likewise 2.7 mill will be trivial in 2100
by then the new $50 coin will be lowest currency ;)

(the book - encouraging people to invest - failed to make that point).;)

anecdote..
I came back from Korea once - had some expense receipts in my wallet - anyway the Customs gave me a serious once-over because I stupidly hadn't declared some jelwellery - even went through my wallet -

found a receipt written in Korean, with a figure of 10,500 Wan (from memory) -
and what's this for then !! - more jewellery ?

I said no (sir lol) - that's a hamburger :eek:,

PS Don;t get me wrong - it's still worth investing - just don't expect to (EASILY - with hardly any effort) quadruple your money every 10 years - as this book claimed ;)

That book made a point which I think is sound lol - not sure.

ALWAYS, in the past, when the market has gone down - it has EVENTUALLY risen to a new higher high - with patience lol.

(guess there's a first for everything :eek: - and/or - can I bloke be sure of living that long )

...the largest note ever printed by the Federal Reserve...Bureau of Engraving was the $100,000 Gold Certificate, Series 1934.

...the deepest well ever drilled was the Superdeep Well Koala SG-3, Zapolyarny, Russia, at 12,262 metres deep.

The happiest people in the world are those who love ducks. Ten is a very lucky number for siblings for obvious reasons or is it ducklings.
The stars, infact every star sign shows, that a Duckman is likely to have very good fortune. Indeed, everyone should have at least ten ducks.
If you also have a duck billed platypus in your near vacinity as well, then your luck is in for the whole of 2008 and onwards to 2012.
However, if you have eaten a duck then your future is dim, infact you are doomed my friend. Unless of course you rear 10 ducklings quite quickly.

As China has sadly had desperately fowl, sorry foul weather recently, and they have announced that the celebrations for the new year will begin 7 days late and be renamed "The Year of the Duck".

Wow!! Thanks Noirua. Only just saw this thanks to Julia.

I am feeling luckier already. Seeing as this Duck is also a Rat, I might be double lucky this year...........maybe even.....no I won't say it......or will I....
OK, I'll say it. Maybe even Bemax's SP will increase this year!!!

Duckman

In 1930 and 1955 the American share market (Dow) was at the same value, after 25 years.
In 1965 and 1982 the American share market (Dow) was almost the same value after 17 years.

From the Dow's high in (1929 at 330) to (2007 at 14000) the American market has increased by 5% compounding over 78 years.

However the market in 1929 was so over priced that 3 years later the Dow dropped by 87% from approx' 330 to 43.

From 1932 (the low at 43) to 2007's high the Dow had increased 9% compounding over 75 years.

From 1982 to 2007's high the Dow had increased 12% compounding over 25 years.
From 1982 to 2003 the Dow had increased by 11.5% compounding over 21 years.
From 2003 to 2007's high the Dow had increased 13% compounding over 4 years.

Australia (XAO / All-Ords)
From 1982 to 2007's high the XAO had increased 11% compounding over 25 years.
From 1982 to 2003 the XAO had increased by 10% compounding over 21 years.
From 2003 to 2007's high the XAO had increased 22% compounding over 4 years.

If we had another 22% rise in Australia in 2008 and the Dow had no growth, this would bring us in line with the Dow's 1982 to 2007 figure of 12% compounding as above.

My guess is that mining in Australia from the likes of BHP over the past 5 years has only added a few percent to that 22% compounding figure above. For example both CBA and WOW both have increased 20 odd percent compounding over the past 5 years.

dow.png

So the over all market was flat for 20 years, then raised for 15 years, then went flat for 15 years and raised again for 25 years.

What next? Just thinking out loud and tring to work out what I am going to do...
dow2.png

I don't feel safe with my superannuation in shares over the next 10-20 years! I guess alot of people just added to their share super'. Hmmmm
Look out The Debt Bubble.....

Whats with the increase with volumes over the last 8 years?

Wow!! Thanks Noirua. Only just saw this thanks to Julia.

I am feeling luckier already. Seeing as this Duck is also a Rat, I might be double lucky this year...........maybe even.....no I won't say it......or will I....
OK, I'll say it. Maybe even Bemax's SP will increase this year!!!

Duckman

Yes indeed Duckman, I also hold Bemax like yourself. Infact the stars show that everyone who buys shares in Bemax will be rewarded, within two years, with a very fine prize, yes, could be a big prize in the Lotto.
I think we've gone somewhat off topic. Will post about the stars on the correct thread in future: https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8010&page=4

...a Scarab is a type of dung beetle, held sacred by the Ancient Egyptians. It collects dung in small pellets, which it rolls underground, and in these it lays eggs. The Egyptians regarded it as a symbol of eternal life and rebirth.

...a Scarab is a type of dung beetle, held sacred by the Ancient Egyptians. It collects dung in small pellets, which it rolls underground, and in these it lays eggs. The Egyptians regarded it as a symbol of eternal life and rebirth.

You little beauty Noirua!!!!! Does your prediction of good luck have no end????????!!!!!!!!

You are not going to believe this but I think I am the luckiest person IN THIS COUNTRY, as not only am I a Duck, that is a Rat, that is a holder of Bemax shares but I also have a scarab on my knee from falling over last week whilst grovelling to Mrs Duckman.

This is going to be a brilliant year. I can feel it.

Duckman

You little beauty Noirua!!!!! Does your prediction of good luck have no end????????!!!!!!!!

You are not going to believe this but I think I am the luckiest person IN THIS COUNTRY, as not only am I a Duck, that is a Rat, that is a holder of Bemax shares but I also have a scarab on my knee from falling over last week whilst grovelling to Mrs Duckman.

Duckman
I reckon you're up for a good year this year, too, Duckman.
And maybe, if you ask Noirua very, very nicely, he'll be able to send a bit of magic in your direction so you won't have to grovel to Mrs Duckman too often.
All the best
Julia

Duckman
In my neck of the woods a scarab grub is the larvae of the cane beetle or the Christmas beetle. It is the reason the cane toads were introduced, to reduce the damaging effects of the grub. Get yourself a pet cane toad and you will cure the problem. You could nickname the toad "Lucky."

Australia (XAO / All-Ords)
From 1982 to 2007's high the XAO had increased 11% compounding over 25 years.
From 1982 to 2003 the XAO had increased by 10% compounding over 21 years.
From 2003 to 2007's high the XAO had increased 22% compounding over 4 years.

If we had another 22% rise in Australia in 2008 and the Dow had no growth, this would bring us in line with the Dow's 1982 to 2007 figure of 12% compounding as above.

My guess is that mining in Australia from the likes of BHP over the past 5 years has only added a few percent to that 22% compounding figure above. For example both CBA and WOW both have increased 20 odd percent compounding over the past 5 years.

View attachment 17828

So the over all market was flat for 20 years, then raised for 15 years, then went flat for 15 years and raised again for 25 years.

What next? Just thinking out loud and tring to work out what I am going to do...
View attachment 17831

I don't feel safe with my superannuation in shares over the next 10-20 years! I guess alot of people just added to their share super'. Hmmmm
Look out The Debt Bubble.....

Whats with the increase with volumes over the last 8 years?
I don't feel safe either mr lol
but here's some more nonsense from "history"

As they say , history is "just one damned thing after another" - and no guarantee of what the future will do. But fwiw, here's some more on the same vein..

Attachments

• aus market.jpg
    aus market.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 114
I don't feel safe either mr lol
but here's some more nonsense from "history"

As they say , history is "just one damned thing after another" - and no guarantee of what the future will do. But fwiw, here's some more on the same vein..

Hi 2020, that chart of returns up to 2001 could be very misleading as the China-India 2003 -8 boom period is completely missing.
Don't you think that 1986 -2001 is really a past that is best lost for ever as miners move strongly forward in the new millenium? :aus:

Hi 2020, that chart of returns up to 2001 could be very misleading as the China-India 2003 -8 boom period is completely missing.
Don't you think that 1986 -2001 is really a past that is best lost for ever as miners move strongly forward in the new millenium? :aus:
you're right of course - though "incomplete" is more accurate than "misleading" I'd've thought.
Anyway
Here is more incomplete data - good years bad years between 1900 and 2001 (you might want to add the rest m8) :-

Attachments

• yearly results.jpg
    yearly results.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 126
...that savanna is the name for a tropical type of vegetation, consisting of grassland with scattered trees. The largest areas are in Africa. The llanos and campos of South America are other examples of savanna vegetation.

...the Chinese Summer Olympic Games will be officially opened on 8/8/08 at 8:08:08pm CST. So seriously is the number 8 considered to mean good fortune.