Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CSL - CSL Limited

Dear "Dr" Bourse,
thank you for input. Here's mine (in my own name)
1. 2005 buy 400 CSL
20231012_104928~2.jpg
2. 2005 buy 200 CSL
20231012_104942~2.jpg
3. 2007 sell 100 CSL (note,, leading into GFC)
20231012_111534.jpg
4. 2007 .. three for 1 consolidation
20231012_105146~2.jpg
Still holding 1500 shares. There was a 2008 SPP that I put 5k into, for 135 shares, but sold for $4989 (GFC nerves).
Back of the envelope:
- Funds committed $12,851 + 7032 - 3300 = $16,583
- Paying dividends 2x a year. These are generally paid in USD and unfranked now. .... first one was $148
2021/22 dividends 2134 + 2637
2022/23 dividends 2432 + 3011
- Current Yield on employed capital .. oh, about 30 per cent .. and likely to increase.

So, I think I can take the view that, for me, it is a dividend stock.

If I sold, the CGT would be cruel, and far eclipse the dividends, in terms of net cash.

So, I ask myself ; Is CSL a sustainable business, likely to be around in the future? I familiarise myself with its workings, and its sector, and take a view that it is a growth stock, investing in itself and looking for opportunities.

And the rest is NOISE. As they say, short term a voting machine, but long term a weighing machine.

and by the way, it is generally not a good look if other market participants are called sheep, or other disparaging terms. Many mug punters have been around for a while, with survivor bias keeping them humble.

Dr Bourse. I am in a similar position owning 1600 shares at a price less than $1. I used to own more but sold some off on the way to help me pay my old house off and in my younger days to buy a computer (big regrets on that).
I just laugh, and you aren't the only one guilty of this, of the sheep comments. It says more about the person who makes the comment.
In another thread someone called the retail investors sheep and the big funds as geniuses to be followed.
As small investors we have a huge advantage on the big funds as we can buy and sell positions with ease. And those of us who have been around a while have a bit of rat cunning.

Similar to Dona, I can't really sell due to the capital gain. Perhaps one day when I retire so then not paying the top tax rate.
Dividend was very handy this year to help pay for my holiday credit card bill.

I don't own many shares besides CSL at the moment as I have invested some seed money in an off market in a new mining explorer and need to pay my present house off which I hope will occur fairly soon.

Last edited:
Dear "Dr" Bourse,
thank you for input. Here's mine (in my own name)
1. 2005 buy 400 CSL
View attachment 163898
2. 2005 buy 200 CSL
View attachment 163897
3. 2007 sell 100 CSL (note,, leading into GFC)
View attachment 163899
4. 2007 .. three for 1 consolidation
View attachment 163896
Still holding 1500 shares. There was a 2008 SPP that I put 5k into, for 135 shares, but sold for $4989 (GFC nerves).
Back of the envelope:
- Funds committed $12,851 + 7032 - 3300 = $16,583
- Paying dividends 2x a year. These are generally paid in USD and unfranked now. .... first one was $148
2021/22 dividends 2134 + 2637
2022/23 dividends 2432 + 3011
- Current Yield on employed capital .. oh, about 30 per cent .. and likely to increase.

If I sold, the CGT would be cruel, and far eclipse the dividends, in terms of net cash.

So, I ask myself ; Is CSL a sustainable business, likely to be around in the future? I familiarise myself with its workings, and its sector, and take a view that it is a growth stock, investing in itself and looking for opportunities.

And the rest is NOISE. As they say, short term a voting machine, but long term a weighing machine.

and by the way, it is generally not a good look if other market participants are called sheep, or other disparaging terms. Many mug punters have been around for a while, with survivor bias keeping them humble.
I take your point personally, in that I need to stop referring to the public as S###p....

Gawd... Last time I entered a stock tipping comp was back when the ASX started doing comps like that abt 20 years ago....
I joined in and came abt 104th out of 4000+ entrants...
Couldn't handle that - it was a wake up call - 104th out of 4k, that was terrible.... Managed to play that ASX game while being paid to carry out the research & analysis that I like doing...
Anyhow, no thanks, not enough hours in the day for me to play games.....

I'm not allowed to play Broker/Analyst these days, Let that position lapse many years ago, so publishing winning stock picks is not going to happen here.... I'll just stick to the facts with my findings...

As previously mentioned, educating those new to Share Trading, and trying to save the same people from loosing their hard earned, is top of my agenda these days.... hence I began posting on CSL back in 2020....

I will accept the challenge of looking for another CSL, one that has been Overbought for year after year, and will someday come back to earth with a thump just like CSL atm....
:wheniwasaboy:

and i will asset timing the market ( buying when it was cheap ) is a big advantage ... yes the share price might go up in the short term , but buying 'at a fair price ' is liable to yield good results in the long term ( assuming the stock survives that long )

BTW nice work for being brave enough to buy back then ( i prefer to sit back and watch new floats )

BTW nice work for being brave enough to buy back then ( i prefer to sit back and watch new floats )
Knobby is the one who bought at or close to IPO, back in the '90s. I came in 10 years after, when it was established and a multiple bagger. Who took the greater risk? I put in more capital but K went in as an article of faith.

To me, the story is the conviction, having a sizable play, 12k, then going again after it had dropped a bit.
PS didn't take part in recent SPP entitlements
Enough; today is a bit of a shock, down 6 per cent. Maybe the market doesn't think Vifor is the game-changing way forward. Pressure is on the new boy. Definitely, the AGM language didn't inspire, nor the actions re bonus calcs.

Knobby is the one who bought at or close to IPO, back in the '90s. I came in 10 years after, when it was established and a multiple bagger. Who took the greater risk? I put in more capital but K went in as an article of faith.

To me, the story is the conviction, having a sizable play, 12k, then going again after it had dropped a bit.
PS didn't take part in recent SPP entitlements
Enough; today is a bit of a shock, down 6 per cent. Maybe the market doesn't think Vifor is the game-changing way forward. Pressure is on the new boy. Definitely, the AGM language didn't inspire, nor the actions re bonus calcs.
According to a commentator the reason for the drop is the new weight loss drugs that will supposedly mean less liver disease and generally healthier people. US medical stocks have also been effected.

Well maybe they are right but you know, will it make that much of a difference? Maybe in some areas like orthopaedics and sleep apnoea. Not sure it effects CSL greatly.

According to a commentator the reason for the drop is the new weight loss drugs that will supposedly mean less liver disease and generally healthier people.
Yes, that is what I've read too. People are thinking the effectiveness of the new drugs will hurt CSL, RMD etc.

I'm naturally quite skeptical. The new drugs are being touted as a miracle cure for many ailments. It would be great if they lived up to the promise, but I suspect they will fall a bit short.

This could make the sell-off in companies selling conventional therapies overdone.

Hi All,

My first post here 👋

I noticed CSL closed below a long term rectangle pattern on the weekly time scale today and was generally looking for more information on the company and as a result came across this forum.

Any views or comments on CSL prospects would be appreciated. For reference i have attached the chart I am referring to its implying a move 30% lower if CSL closes the week below $242.67

Attachments

• CSL_2023-10-12_17-35-26.png
    CSL_2023-10-12_17-35-26.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi All,

My first post here 👋

I noticed CSL closed below a long term rectangle pattern on the weekly time scale today and was generally looking for more information on the company and as a result came across this forum.

Any views or comments on CSL prospects would be appreciated. For reference i have attached the chart I am referring to its implying a move 30% lower if CSL closes the week below $242.67
welcome to ASF

i don't hold CSL ( and never have) when i started in the market ( 2011 ) CSL looked over-priced for me , so moved on to other stocks i thought had better value

sometimes the train is just long gone

Amen to that.
If one persists in this game for long enough ( even someone starting out with a big fat zero net worth ) , you can eventually end up with that exquisite problem of having written off all your capital losses and yet still unable to sell due to the looming C. G . tax liability . Now , if you have to have a problem in life , then this is the best one , I know of . So , in the long run , you die and the good -for -nothing grandkids take on that little problem for you.
Wandering off topic , again , so I'll bugger off.

According to a commentator the reason for the drop is the new weight loss drugs that will supposedly mean less liver disease and generally healthier people. US medical stocks have also been effected.

Well maybe they are right but you know, will it make that much of a difference? Maybe in some areas like orthopaedics and sleep apnoea. Not sure it effects CSL greatly.
to me that's just "narrative hijack by proxy", by commentators whose model is the click, not the insight. coincidence rules.

Luv it - so I now refer to the Sheep as "the Harolds of this world" - now no one will know WTF I'm talking abt....
BEWDY NEWK !!!!!
rcw1 is Harolding … ha ha ha $232 cannot pass up … an order placed $234.50 see if it goes today!!
EDIT: $235

Kind regards
rcw1