Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

CSL - CSL Limited

Sally Warneford, (analyst at Schroders): , .... I wrote my very first report on CSL back in 1994 for the IPO and the share price was $2.30 and the market cap was about $130 million. Since then, it split its shares three times. So, that share price was actually $0.77. Now, it's something like $270 and its market cap is something like $130 billion, which makes it about the 18th largest pharmaceutical company in the world. That's been an extraordinary journey and it's been an incredible performance by the company and the management team over time.

But if we have a look at the chart where the dark blue shows the share price performance, and it's been marking time for a number of years now. And then, the green line shows us the return, so the earnings before interest and tax that you get for the invested capital, which is the net assets plus the net debt.

jh3-csl-growing-pains.png

Source: Schroders

You can see where they've made large capital raisings and acquisitions. For example, in 2000, they bought the Swiss Red Cross, and they raised equity then. And then, again in 2003-2004, they bought Aventis Behring, and they raised equity then. And then, going forward, it took another many years before they made another acquisition which was the flu vaccine business of Novartis in about 2015. So, you can see some step changes in returns when you have some new equity coming in or a loss-making new business. But that doesn't get away from that steady downwards trend in returns despite the great success of the flu vaccine business.

And this is where you're seeing the problem of being such a large company. New investments have come with large amounts of goodwill and also intangible assets in the form of intellectual property. So, it's getting a lot harder for CSL to grow. And people invest in CSL for its growth, and that growth is coming at a cost, and that cost is more acquisitions, more goodwill in the balance sheet and more intangible assets in the balance sheet. And CSL has to try and generate a meaningful return on those investments for shareholders in order to justify being the number 18 market cap pharmaceutical company in the world.

I wrote my very first report on CSL back in 1994 for the IPO and the share price was $2.30 and the market cap was about $130 million. Since then, it split its shares three times.

I believe the author is mixing up the companies using the ASX code CSL. Carlisle used the ASX Code CSL and had three share splits. As for the pharmaceutical company CSL I understand it has had only one share split - a 3 for 1 in 2007.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong of course.

I believe the author is mixing up the companies using the ASX code CSL. Carlisle used the ASX Code CSL and had three share splits. As for the pharmaceutical company CSL I understand it has had only one share split - a 3 for 1 in 2007.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong of course.
stand true. poor English on their behalf, I'd figure. I just read it knowing it was 3 for 1 as i have held CSL since before then.

In fact the whole text reads badly; likely transcribed from dialogue, with er, um, like, you know, some editing.

stand true. poor English on their behalf, I'd figure. I just read it knowing it was 3 for 1 as i have held CSL since before then.

In fact the whole text reads badly; likely transcribed from dialogue, with er, um, like, you know, some editing.

Thank you for confirming. The text is sketchy I think.

Makes you wonder what else in the "analysis" is erroneous, such as the accuracy of the price chart supposedly adjusted for splits, two of which didn't occur. Are the statements on the number of capital raisings correct is another. Like, really? And these dudes are actually paid to produce this stuff.

Thank you for confirming. The text is sketchy I think.

Makes you wonder what else in the "analysis" is erroneous, such as the accuracy of the price chart supposedly adjusted for splits, two of which didn't occur. Are the statements on the number of capital raisings correct is another. Like, really? And these dudes are actually paid to produce this stuff.
might be partly generated by AI , but a trend like that could be contagious

Journy aint over yet.
Still think 290 is more likely than 250
Bingo !!!
CSL $250.56.

You cannot make Unsupported & Unsubstantiated calls without me challenging them…

I’ve given Fact based calls on CSL since June 23 – all correct calls – you on the other hand post “S A.se snide” comments….

U have a lot to learn UM….

I would love to suggest CSL’s next moves, unfortunately that ain’t gunna happen….

Bingo !!!
CSL $250.56.

You cannot make Unsupported & Unsubstantiated calls without me challenging them…

I’ve given Fact based calls on CSL since June 23 – all correct calls – you on the other hand post “S A.se snide” comments….

I would love to suggest CSL’s next moves, unfortunately that ain’t gunna happen….
Wow.... What a braggart.

Judging by this post sounds like you don't get a lot right so enjoy this one.

Nice day outside. Thats where I enjoy most of my time, rather than keyboard heroing.

Bingo !!!
CSL $250.56.

@DrBourse
I personally love to learn your analysis on next move of CSL!
Speculatively M&A or unlikely demerger like BHP to reduce its size ?
DNH

a demerger to reduce/simplify the structure , well that is certainly a popular trend in recent years

less popular are stock-splits say 1 into ten shares so the retail folk get a few shares for their $1,000 or $2,000 investment , but must have some support for such an expensive share

i missed this train by so much they even removed the train-lines from the station it left from

good luck holders

and another poor day, $250 did not hold . Hasn't been this far down for a while AND closed on its lows..
Screenshot_20231002-161729_CommSec.jpg

Then just when you thought it could not get any worse, along came DrB....
Again the chart has all the info anyone could possibly need.....
20231002 CSL Cht (2).png

I'm prob wrong, time will tell, but CSL has good news in Very Short Supply atm....

CSL said, ahead of its AGM, that it anticipated another strong year with growth to expand between 9 per cent and 11 per cent over fiscal 2023. A forecast net profit of $2.9 billion to $3 billion at constant currency, up between 13 per cent and 17 per cent

Looks as though the CSL faithfull do not believe the Co Estimated Profit.... TA is not looking all that good.....
Look at the Candle Formation 15/8 to 31/8 - then look at what happened next - will History repeat itself....??
20231011 CSL Cht.png

At the AGM yesterday, the vote against the remuneration report was quite high, with opposition to the clause that saw the recent Vifor acquisition impact not included in bonus shares calculations.
Some
shareholders weren't happy with the recent underperformance on the bourse (25 per cent off highs)

"None of us like the share price dropping,” board chair Dr Ian McNamee said. “You have every reason to be grumpy.”

We remain a growth company … we cannot control the share price,” he said.

Dr McNamee said that interest rates had “grown much faster internationally than any of us have anticipated, and that affects cost of capital and it really affects your terminal value”.

The healthcare sector globally has had a contraction in valuation. We’re in good company. I can’t fix the macroeconomic challenges, all we can do is run a good business,” he said.

Dr McNamee also said that CSL is “never going to be a dividend stock”.

“If you want to clip the ticket and be a dividend investor I can tell you there may be better investments for you. Our intention is to be and remain a growth company, and we believe, over time, that growth will be rewarded in the growth of the share price
."

Last edited:
At the AGM yesterday, the vote against the remuneration report was quite high, with opposition to the clause that saw the recent Vifor acquisition impact not included in bonus shares calculations.
Some
shareholders weren't happy with the recent underperformance on the bourse (25 per cent off highs)

"None of us like the share price dropping,” board chair Dr Ian McNamee said. “You have every reason to be grumpy.”

Dr McNamee said that interest rates had “grown much faster internationally than any of us have anticipated, and that affects cost of capital and it really affects your terminal value”.

The healthcare sector globally has had a contraction in valuation. We’re in good company. I can’t fix the macroeconomic challenges, all we can do is run a good business,” he said.

“If you want to clip the ticket and be a dividend investor I can tell you there may be better investments for you. Our intention is to be and remain a growth company, and we believe, over time, that growth will be rewarded in the growth of the share price
."
Hi Dona....
IMO, I feel that Macca put his Foot in it by saying "that CSL is “never going to be a dividend stock”, and that "there may be better investments for you"....
A $220-00 to $280-00 Stock paying a 1.5% yield with 10% Franking & with a rapidly declining SP, is a bit of a joke......

The SP will obviously recover a bit, but, calling CSL a Growth Company is also a bit off base atm, particularly when CSL was abt $342-00 in Feb 2020, compared with it's current SP of $240-00+.... I notice that he did not give a timeframe for the CSL recovery - my punt would be at least 2 to 4 yrs....
All that I can say is that he was a really good Tennis player..

Some

."
Hi Dona....
IMO, I feel that Macca put his Foot in it by saying "that CSL is “never going to be a dividend stock”, and that "there may be better investments for you"....
A $220-00 to $280-00 Stock paying a 1.5% yield with 10% Franking & with a rapidly declining SP, is a bit of a joke......

The SP will obviously recover a bit, but, calling CSL a Growth Company is also a bit off base atm, particularly when CSL was abt $342-00 in Feb 2020, compared with it's current SP of $240-00+.... I notice that he did not give a timeframe for the CSL recovery - my punt would be at least 2 to 4 yrs....
All that I can say is that he was a really good Tennis player..
CSL is such a behemoth, should the price improve, McNamee will be considered a sage, a fall a fool.

A slow moving indicator the best imo. for buys or sells in any case.

gg