Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

Unless the criminal knows your passcode, then an IPhone is just a worthless shiny slab to them, maybe they can sell a few dollars worth of parts on it, but its a brick unless they have the passcode to unlock it.
I will just leave that there to answer your question. I will add however that it shows more character to admit when you have been proven wrong rather then creating new arguments out of thin air and side tracking for the sake of getting the last word in... hold on I deal with this daily with my teenage daughter 😂

I will just leave that there to answer your question. I will add however that it shows more character to admit when you have been proven wrong rather then creating new arguments out of thin air and side tracking for the sake of getting the last word in... hold on I deal with this daily with my teenage daughter 😂
Hang on, how am I proven wrong? where you quoted me I literally say the phone is worthless except for being sold for parts?

You then started talking about selling phones for parts, and say you prove me wrong???

Am I still missing your point or something? Or is that statement of mine you quoted still true.

And just to dd more to a day that I would rather forget.
Went to the local servo to get a couple of thousand litres of diesel for the coming season.
For these purchases I do use a credit card.
Got a refusal on the card machine 3 times.
What to do.
Will you accept a cheque NO.
Will you take my details, driver's licence, address ph no, NO
What next, I don't know.,
I am well known at this place as we buy all of our fuel here.
Fortunately my brother happened to be passing and he used his card to pay.
Rang the bank, which bank, you may ask.
So sorry, we had a glitch and you are the recipient of that.
B/s i said.
Not happy, Bank.
A change of banks is now definitely on the cards.

And just to dd more to a day that I would rather forget.
Went to the local servo to get a couple of thousand litres of diesel for the coming season.
For these purchases I do use a credit card.
Got a refusal on the card machine 3 times.
What to do.
Will you accept a cheque NO.
Will you take my details, driver's licence, address ph no, NO
What next, I don't know.,
I am well known at this place as we buy all of our fuel here.
Fortunately my brother happened to be passing and he used his card to pay.
Rang the bank, which bank, you may ask.
So sorry, we had a glitch and you are the recipient of that.
B/s i said.
Not happy, Bank.
A change of banks is now definitely on the cards.
For what it's worth I think smaller banks are they go for business activities. Admittedly mine is a micro business and perhaps for larger operations might not be suitable, but they tend to pretend to at least, that they actually want my business.... We are with P&N and Bendigo.

For what it's worth I think smaller banks are they go for business activities. Admittedly mine is a micro business and perhaps for larger operations might not be suitable, but they tend to pretend to at least, that they actually want my business.... We are with P&N and Bendigo.
@wayneL She has a couple of accounts with Bendigo. I have had preliminary discussions with them as to move the business account from BankWest over.
At this stage the signs are good.

And just for context, we do have a multi currency HSBC account for bigger transactions... particularly overseas.

Went out for a family dinner at the local pub last night, they accept cash willingly.

Talking to my 20-year-old niece, she told us about an incident on a bus with a new payment system that does not accept cash.

My niece and her friend went to town to do some window shopping and a coffee, her friend picked her up. When it was time to order a coffee, she realized that her purse was at home, but luckily, she had her emergency cash with her.

Later they decided to split up, my niece wanted to go home while her friend wanted to stay in the city. No problem because the trip is only a 20-minute bus ride.

But there became a problem. The buses no longer take cash. Only a metro card, credit or debit card accepted. My niece explained that she had left her cards (she has a Metro Card) at home by mistake but had cash. The driver would not let her ride on the bus and told her to leave.

Lucky for her the walk home is only about an hour walk, and thankfully the weather was nice.

Went out for a family dinner at the local pub last night, they accept cash willingly.

Talking to my 20-year-old niece, she told us about an incident on a bus with a new payment system that does not accept cash.

My niece and her friend went to town to do some window shopping and a coffee, her friend picked her up. When it was time to order a coffee, she realized that her purse was at home, but luckily, she had her emergency cash with her.

Later they decided to split up, my niece wanted to go home while her friend wanted to stay in the city. No problem because the trip is only a 20-minute bus ride.

But there became a problem. The buses no longer take cash. Only a metro card, credit or debit card accepted. My niece explained that she had left her cards (she has a Metro Card) at home by mistake but had cash. The driver would not let her ride on the bus and told her to leave.

Lucky for her the walk home is only about an hour walk, and thankfully the weather was nice.
What. In this day and age what sort of person would let a young woman walk the streets at night. Beggers belief.

What. In this day and age what sort of person would let a young woman walk the streets at night. Beggers belief.
The lady in question could have just used her phone or watch if wanted to, forgetting your wallet isn't a problem when you go digital these days.

i remember the days when such women were relatively safe , that is the part the concerns me more
When was that?

The question we should be asking selves is not "why would some one let a young woman walk the streets", but "Why has our society raised men in such a way that women are not safe in the streets"

To much focus gets put on getting women to change their behaviours, and not enough gets put on getting men to change theirs.

When was that?

The question we should be asking selves is not "why would some one let a young woman walk the streets", but "Why has our society raised men in such a way that women are not safe in the streets"

To much focus gets put on getting women to change their behaviours, and not enough gets put on getting men to change theirs.
you assume there is no female v. female violence on the streets ,

that is not the case

either gender can be attacked/robbed on the streets currently

i remember one where a female was robbed on a train station with police already AT the same train station ( and railway staff on duty as well )

apparently her psychology degree was of little help ,

Yes, the world has gone mad. People can beg on the streets and get all sorts of assistance. Yet a person that has cash can't get a bus ride.

One positive was that it was late afternoon, the sun was setting but it was still light outside.

you assume there is no female v. female violence on the streets ,
No, I didn't assume that at all, I am just recognising that the majority of violence against women is inflicted by men, and the most repulsive crimes like rape and sexual assault against women are almost always carried out by men.

With out being defensive about your own gender, think about it, if you had to leave your 13 yearly grand daughter with a man you know nothing about over night or a woman you know nothing about, you would have to agree that on average it would be far more comfortable with the woman.

i remember one

That kind off says it all, its a very infrequent thing, but its not robberies women fear, its often not even death, its rape.
Hence the whole thing where woman say they would choose the bear instead of a man to meet in a forest.

I also heard a women say, if a bear attacks me at least no one will say "what were you wearing" or say " you asked for it"

Last edited:
I guess we shall wait on a reply as to whether she had either with her.
Most people these days, especially people under 40 go almost no where without a phone, I would bet heavily that this lady going to meet her friend for an afternoon out had a phone on her.

But, my comment was mainly to point out that forgetting your card isn't really problem if you have your phone or watch setup, you can even withdraw cash from an ATM these days with out a card just using a phone, If you are with CBA you don't even need a phone to withdraw cash, a friend or family member can send you a one time use code and you can go to an ATM and you can pick up some cash they send you.

I think it is called .......immigration ;)

bux
My wife was born and lived in the mining city of Kalgoorlie for many years. In her early years of working, shanks pony was the mode of favourite transport.
Kalgoorlie had a big population of non-born Australians living and working there.
The place for women was as safe as houses for them, even to be walking home at night, as my wife did way back then.
She was working at the hospital at the time on an afternoon shift.
The reason the place was so safe as it is now because of Hay Street.
If any female was attacked, he would have been found out and headed headfirst down the nearest disused mine shaft.

When was that?

Its not just women that get killed by men, statistically more men kill other men then women

I think it is called .......immigration ;)

bux
No… if there is any one cause that raises the risk it’s Alcohol. but I think what you have is called Xenophobia.

I unfortunately happen to have personally known two guys that have been convicted and jailed for Rape (separate occurrences) neither of them were immigrants, both were under the influence of alcohol when they committed their crime. Prior the attack neither of them seemed like the person that would ever do such a thing.

However, after they had had a couple of drinks both took opportunities to force them selves on women, I think the underlying cause was both the alcohol and some underlying lack of respect for women that seems to be common among males.