Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

A frustrated customer said ANZ should “reimburse people” for the inconvenience.
“Great, another quality service by ANZ,” he wrote on X.
“What are you guys even trying to run, I haven’t been able to access my bank at all.
“Too bad if some people were at a servo or stuck in a parking lot you (got to) pay to get out of.”
Another added: “Please hurry up, I want my KFC”.

All easily fixed if the people had some cash in their pocket. goes to show, cash is king for everyday needs.

“What are you guys even trying to run, I haven’t been able to access my bank at all.
“Too bad if some people were at a servo or stuck in a parking lot you (got to) pay to get out of.”
Another added: “Please hurry up, I want my KFC”.

All easily fixed if the people had some cash in their pocket. goes to show, cash is king for everyday needs.
not that easy in an underground car park where there is often no cash options

Another added: “Please hurry up, I want my KFC”..​
were credit cards or EFTPOS hit?

"The ANZ Plus app, Phone Banking, ATMs and EFTPOS facilities continue to be available.”

"The ANZ Plus app, Phone Banking, ATMs and EFTPOS facilities continue to be available.”
No, credit cards and Eftpos services were working fine, (but, some here don’t want the facts to get in the way of their biases 🤪).

Some people would like to point to the fact that Internet banking went down for a couple of hours as a sign that the system is worthless, but all that happens in that case is those that those that use Internet banking either just wait, or go to the bank and in that case be equal to those that don’t use Internet banking.

its like some one that walks to work every day making fun of some one that drives a car because their car broke down for 3 hours, but all that happened was that for three hours the two were on equal footing, but the rest of the year the walker is behind the game.

It’s not fun when it happens, like what happened in the country town that I stayed in last weekend. No phones or internet, and the pub closing early because customers couldn’t pay.

I had another interesting cashless world episode. Friday evening my brother & I arrived at our parents beach home, we are sorting the place out after being unused for a long period, my father had been unwell and passed away. My mother wants to spend more time there with the family but it needs some TLC.

The home is in a small coastal town about 2.5 hours from the city. We arrived at about 8pm, had a late dinner and then started sending text messages and making phone calls to our family to say that we had arrived safely.

However, we ran into a snag, the internet and cellular network was. down. The house both our phones, my phone and my brothers laptop dongle were useless for communication purposes.

At around 9:30pm we decided to got to the pub, only to find that the whole town had lost communication with the outside world. No connection with any provider. The Pubs EFTPOS was out, only cash was useable. The publican said that he had lost about 75% of business becasue customers did not have cash, which meant the pub had to close at 10pm on a usually busy Friday night.

Saturday morning was pretty much the same, except I was able o call land lines from my mobile, but not mobile to mobile. The pub and shops had limited access, which allowed them to accept EFTPOS with a few attempts.

By 9:30pm Saturday everything was back to normal.

Unless the criminal knows your passcode, then an IPhone is just a worthless shiny slab to them, maybe they can sell a few dollars worth of parts on it, but its a brick unless they have the passcode to unlock it.
They sell it for parts or you push it to Asia/Africa. There are workarounds.

Last edited:
They sell it for parts or you push it to Asia/Africa. There are workarounds.
Option one is not that attractive from a profit perspective, and option 2 seems out of the realms of the average their looking for a quick buck.

I've had multiple break ins at one of my businesses. They always take the ipads or electronics. In a good area as well. But since they mix housing commission in every suburb it doesn't really matter. Also they tend to target the richer suburbs anyway.

When you only need $50- $100 you can easily move the ipads. The main fence will move ipads in bulk.
I've had a bunch of dirty laundry and one thong stolen out of the back seat of my truck before. Ipads are a target.

As for cars and the burglaries I think they are picking up. Central locking can be easily hacked. There's plenty of on the shelf electronics that do all these things. Rather than losing $100 out of your wallet. You now lose thousands from fraud.

Electronic banking has its place. But I suspect it will be under threat with advances in technology soon. Hell, just take out an exchange and most people are stuffed.

If the appeal is because of laziness, its open to criminal abuse.

I've had multiple break ins at one of my businesses. They always take the ipads or electronics. In a good area as well. But since they mix housing commission in every suburb it doesn't really matter. Also they tend to target the richer suburbs anyway.

When you only need $50- $100 you can easily move the ipads. The main fence will move ipads in bulk.
I've had a bunch of dirty laundry and one thong stolen out of the back seat of my truck before. Ipads are a target.

As for cars and the burglaries I think they are picking up. Central locking can be easily hacked. There's plenty of on the shelf electronics that do all these things. Rather than losing $100 out of your wallet. You now lose thousands from fraud.

Electronic banking has its place. But I suspect it will be under threat with advances in technology soon. Hell, just take out an exchange and most people are stuffed.

If the appeal is because of laziness, its open to criminal abuse.
icloud locked ipads/iPhones sell for about 1/4 price very useful for original parts. Apple doesn't sell original replacement parts so this is a very big market for 3rd party repairers. Selling a stolen/locked Apple product you are guaranteed at least a pineapple

icloud locked ipads/iPhones sell for about 1/4 price very useful for original parts. Apple doesn't sell original replacement parts so this is a very big market for 3rd party repairers. Selling a stolen/locked Apple product you are guaranteed at least a pineapple
Thats not true, you can buy original Apple parts, Apple makes parts available to their repair centres and the self repair market.

sure if some steals your iPhone they might be able to sell your 3 year old phone battery for some thing, but it’s hardly going to be a big money earner, considering you can buy brand new ones. it’s the equivalent of selling used Hub caps.

https://support.apple.com/self-service-repair#:~:text=The online store is operated,integrity, safety, and reliability.

IMG_1863.jpeg

Thats not true, you can buy original Apple parts, Apple makes parts available to their repair centres and the self repair market.

sure if some steals your iPhone they might be able to sell your 3 year old phone battery for some thing, but it’s hardly going to be a big money earner, considering you can buy brand new ones. it’s the equivalent of selling used Hub caps.

https://support.apple.com/self-service-repair#:~:text=The online store is operated,integrity, safety, and reliability.

View attachment 177644
I noticed you are very quick to do quick google searches and match your confirmation bias without having the actual knowledge or experience. I challenge you to go to apple or a authorised 3rd party apple reseller and attempt to purchase any genuine part.

To become a 3rd party apple repairer you basically have to sell your soul and pay protection money to apple, not many around at all. Also the very high price they charge is designed to be economically non viable solution to repair a used device.

Apple products hold value the best out of any electronics, 10 year old phones still sell like hot cakes so any repairer with a booth in a shopping centre or a home repairer has choices
1. get inferiority quality parts on ebay Amazon ali baba etc which are factory seconds or re engineered refurbished Apple parts.

2. buy a icloud locked / maybe stolen phone on ebay, gumtree, junky for a pinapple with a fountain of parts inside.
1.lcd screen
2. charger dock
3. the whole frame including all the buttons + flex cables etc

Anybody who is in the business knows the difference between original Apple parts vs after market. Especially those that are used inside the phone and can't tell physically.

The battery is one exception where a new one from Apple is very much desired, however if you have a phone with 70% capacity and a junky offers you one for $50 with 95% capacity its a no brainer good deal for the battery.

Apple or an authorized Apple Service shop is your source for an genuine iPhone display screen. But, they will not sell the part to an individual unless the part is also installed by the authorized service shop.

Your next question might be what is the approximate cost of replacing a cracked screen. About $170-200 U.S. assuming there are not additional complications with the repair.

Go on ebay and see how many listings for icloud locked iPhone or ipad there is and how they sell, wonder why they all selling and who is buying?

I noticed you are very quick to do quick google searches and match your confirmation bias without having the actual knowledge or experience. I challenge you to go to apple or a authorised 3rd party apple reseller and attempt to purchase any genuine part.

To become a 3rd party apple repairer you basically have to sell your soul and pay protection money to apple, not many around at all. Also the very high price they charge is designed to be economically non viable solution to repair a used device.

Apple products hold value the best out of any electronics, 10 year old phones still sell like hot cakes so any repairer with a booth in a shopping centre or a home repairer has choices
1. get inferiority quality parts on ebay Amazon ali baba etc which are factory seconds or re engineered refurbished Apple parts.

2. buy a icloud locked / maybe stolen phone on ebay, gumtree, junky for a pinapple with a fountain of parts inside.
1.lcd screen
2. charger dock
3. the whole frame including all the buttons + flex cables etc

Anybody who is in the business knows the difference between original Apple parts vs after market. Especially those that are used inside the phone and can't tell physically.

The battery is one exception where a new one from Apple is very much desired, however if you have a phone with 70% capacity and a junky offers you one for $50 with 95% capacity its a no brainer good deal for the battery.

Go on ebay and see how many listings for icloud locked iPhone or ipad there is and how they sell, wonder why they all selling and who is buying?
Well I have never had the need to repair a phone, but Apples website lists 11 authorised repairers with in 20km of my house, so it doesn’t seem to hard to repair one, and I am also not against third party parts anyway.

if as you say the market for parts is huge, and there is a shortage of parts, shouldn’t a third party industry develop.

Well I have never had the need to repair a phone, but Apples website lists 11 authorised repairers with in 20km of my house, so it doesn’t seem to hard to repair one, and I am also not against third party parts anyway.

if as you say the market for parts is huge, and there is a shortage of parts, shouldn’t a third party industry develop.

It is not hard to repair one but premium price for premium service, same with car dealerships.

But many people don't want to pay 70% value of your phone to have it repaired at Apple or a authorised repairer.

There is a huge 3rd party repair industry, unfortunately it has to rely on inferior non oem replacement parts. Nobody has the technology or knowledge to reverse engineer parts from 0, so all 3rd party parts do use some original base be it factory seconds or refurbished from broken parts. This however is not as good or reliable as the original.

Apple being a smart company playing by rules of capitalism naturally does not release the premium good quality parts to its 3rd party competition, why would they? They provide a premium service for a premium price.

So I was simply explaining there is a strong market and demand for original Apple parts at discount prices since its not available to any Joe over the counter.

Going back to original topic there is plenty parts to scavenge from a stolen iPhone/ipad obviously the engine is a write off but the chassis and everything attached to it is fair game.

Phone snatchings happening on trains shopping centres everyday

It is not hard to repair one but premium price for premium service, same with car dealerships.

But many people don't want to pay 70% value of your phone to have it repaired at Apple or a authorised repairer.

There is a huge 3rd party repair industry, unfortunately it has to rely on inferior non oem replacement parts. Nobody has the technology or knowledge to reverse engineer parts from 0, so all 3rd party parts do use some original base be it factory seconds or refurbished from broken parts. This however is not as good or reliable as the original.

Apple being a smart company playing by rules of capitalism naturally does not release the premium good quality parts to its 3rd party competition, why would they? They provide a premium service for a premium price.

So I was simply explaining there is a strong market and demand for original Apple parts at discount prices since its not available to any Joe over the counter.

Going back to original topic there is plenty parts to scavenge from a stolen iPhone/ipad obviously the engine is a write off but the chassis and everything attached to it is fair game.

They've got patents on everything, and in many cases it's uneconomical for 3rd parties to buy the patent and produce the part. Many companies even geo-block parts from overseas so that you can only buy them from their suppliers in the country of purchase at an absorbent price. It's been going on with bike parts for years, you literally have to throw the bike away over a 50 cent part.

Ok, so I think I have lost your point, so we can both agree whether you are dealing in phones or cars, if you don’t want to take it to an authorised dealer, you have rely on third parties that might used non OEM parts, and sometimes those parts might be stolen.

but, I have forgotten how this relates to the cashless society, or in some way means we should use cash and not digital payments.