Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Cashless society

I was in Victoria, Canada day before yesterday, down in the wharf area.
I thought it might be worth pulling $100 canafian dollars out of an atm, to get dome readies and to check the card works.
Finding an atm wasn't easy, a couple of locals explained where the bank was, I got there and it has closed down, no longer in business and the atm was gone.

Walked on further and in the end located one in a small convenience store.
So it is looking like getting cash is going to be more and more difficult.IMO

Having said that, when the wife and I were driving through France, a lot of servo's were self serve with card only and a lot wouldn't recognise a CBA Visa card and there was no booth with a person inside to sort things out.
So it is going to have teething problems

A week ago , bought petrol, $71, and went to pay. Machines were down
This is the exact scenario I'm concerned about.

A situation where you've purchased something that cannot be be put back on the shelf then the payment won't work.

Eg restaurants, petrol, hairdressers, anything where the nature of the purchase is such that you can't simply undo it.

That's the actual reason I always carry cash. :2twocents

I think one definite issue is that a Visa card isn't a Visa card isn't a Visa card.

The banks will insist that any Visa or MasterCard will work anywhere they're accepted but very often not so, especially if it's a debit card. :2twocents
Cashless means full control on travel indeed ...just another step into a modern USSR model we are heading to.

Cashless means full control on travel indeed ...just another step into a modern USSR model we are heading to.
Yep, look what Justin Castro did with the Canadian truckies. Just closed their accounts (illegally as it turns out, but that won't stop then). Various people being debanked for their moderate but opposing views to the regime (eg Nigel Farage).

... And that's nothing compared to what's coming

I was in Victoria, Canada day before yesterday, down in the wharf area.
I thought it might be worth pulling $100 canafian dollars out of an atm, to get dome readies and to check the card works.
Finding an atm wasn't easy, a couple of locals explained where the bank was, I got there and it has closed down, no longer in business and the atm was gone.

Walked on further and in the end located one in a small convenience store.
So it is looking like getting cash is going to be more and more difficult.IMO

Having said that, when the wife and I were driving through France, a lot of servo's were self serve with card only and a lot wouldn't recognise a CBA Visa card and there was no booth with a person inside to sort things out.
So it is going to have teething problems
Thought we already in that mode.
You have seen nothing yet. ..

I was at Whole Foods today, it’s one of the big USA grocery chains, Amazon purchased it a few years ago. forget cash and even cards, you can pay with you Palm. They also have shopping carts that detect what you put in your trolley automatically, and you just walk out with it.

I know @mullokintyre said on his recent trip the USA loved cash, well maybe the do, but I am definitely seeing a lot of moves away from it, everything from businesses totally avoiding cash, through to new digital payments and now even biometric payments. And I am not in San Francisco or New York.

IMG_1520.jpeg

Last edited:
It's becoming a real issue:

But Australians en masse are far too narcoleptic to understand what they are being faced with, so I doubt this will have much effect.

As for me and Mrs wayneL, we find the quality of food much better at small outlets such as Gilbert's in Midland (you'll know the place @farmerge ) and they are completely happy to accept my cash.

Pickled eggs? It's this some Yorkshire good taste apostasy? I almost dry wretched at the thought LoL.
Depression tucker, when people used to presserve food, so that it would keep. Lol
Also they are a great nibble when your having a beer and don't want crisps or peanuts, which brings us back on topic going by VC's posted picture. Lol

LOL

just wandered down to the local pub , and bought out their beef jerky stock ( and paid cash )

i bet the ( new ) management think i am mad but so what ?

if the world goes pear shaped i will create a new dish ( jerky , rice , and dandelion greens all cooked on a wood fire )

This small business owner seems to be doing ok with accepting cash.

Why this SA chicken shop offers 5% discount for cash​

Hewett Chicken Shop in Adelaide's northern suburbs is providing customers who use cash, a five percent discount.

"We're just doing our part to help stop the push to get rid of cash", said Hewett Chicken Shop Owner, Andrew Smith.

"After every thirty-fifth transaction, fifty dollars isn't there anymore", Smith explained to James Findlay. "It's completely disappeared in bank fees".

Finished a moderate sized fencing job today.
Joint boundary fence damaged in the January tornado.
Both parties love cash and that is what I was paid today.
The father and son roofers let it be known that "Mate's Rates" applied if a brown paper bag was forth coming.
Half price pretty well for the job to date.
Love the stuff.

The father and son roofers let it be known that "Mate's Rates" applied if a brown paper bag was forth coming.
Half price pretty well for the job to date.
Love the stuff.

The discount is Subsidised by your fellow Tax paying Australians I am guessing.